Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper
Volume III, No. 048
web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com
Wednesday
ROTARY INTERNATIONAL
THE FOUR-WAY TEST of the things we think, say or do
1. Is it the TRUTH? 2. Is it FAIR to all concerned? 3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIP? 4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
See story P15.00 on Page 12 July 16, 2014
Dengue cases swell to 2,081 in Caraga,top record in 2013 By PAT SAMONTE Caraga Regional Editor
Regional Top Stories
B
UTUAN City-The Department of Health has reported that dengue cases had surged to 2,081 in Caraga from January 1 to July 12, 2014 or eight percent higher than the 1,912 cases recorded for the same period last year.
northmin
Inventories stabilize prices of rice in Northern Mindanao u 2 westmin
CHO bares top 10 brgys in mobile blood donation u 8
See STORY, page 4
Misor gov’t warns public vs landslide
davao
Davao City eyes devt of Japanese heritage sitesu 9
PNoy has legal basis to implement DAP: solon By CRIS DIAZ Executive Editor
CAGAYAN de Oro City–– President Benigno Aquino, III has the legal basis to implement the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP), a veteran legislature said on Tuesday. Rep. Rufus B. Rodriguez, of Cagayan De Oro City, said that Aquino and Budget Secretary Florencio Abad, have the legal basis to implement DAP. “I agree with President Aquino in his speech that he has the legal basis for DAP. I support his filing of a Motion for Reconsideration with the Supreme Court,” Rodriguez told the PNA. Rodriguez cited Sec. 39 of Chapter 5, Book 6 of the Administrative Code of 1987 that clearly empowers the President to realign savings from one department to another. He said that the authority of Sec. Abad to review See solon, page 11
MISOR CARES.
Misamis Oriental Governor Yevgeny Vincente B. Emano and Vice Governor Joey G. Pelaez distributes cards to the beneficiaries of the Misamis Oriental Care System (MisOr CareS) in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental. MisOr CareS is the new comprehensive health and social services program of the Province which addresses the health and social development of Misamisnons, especially the indigents. The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Misamis Oriental appropriated P120,000,000 for the program of the governor. photo supplied
MISAMIS Oriental––The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) in Misamis Oriental has issued warnings of possible landslides in the province’s eastern district on Tuesday. Provincial Administrator Edmundo Y. Pacamalan, Jr. has issued the province wide alert with the fear that the storm “Glenda” that See warns, page 11
18 killed in NPA, Manobo tribal warriors clash By CHRIS V. PANGANIBAN Regional Editor-Caraga
SAN Francisco, Agusan del Sur––A clash between New People’s Army rebels and Manobo tribal warriors turned bloody kill-
ing 16 people, 12 on the rebels’ side and four from the fully-armed lumads in Prosperidad town on Tuesday morning. Colonel Henr y Dar, deputy commander of the Philippine Army’s 401st
Brigade, told the Mindanao Daily News in an interview that the clash started when the rebels attacked the house of Calpito “Datu Kalpit” Egua in the village of Sta. Irene. Dar said some rebels
on board two pick-up cars attacked Egua’s house located just about 500 meters from the national highway at around 5 a.m. without realizing that the house was already guarded by his Manobo tribal warriors
called “baganis.” Egua, who had been acknowledged by the military and police as a leader of anti-communitst lumad group thus allowing him to arm his baganis, See clash, page 11
Attend our Immigration Seminar
to CANADA, UK, USA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND and SCHENGEN Territories. On July 19, 2014, 2 pm at VIP Hotel Velez St., Cagayan de Oro City.
Call or text for inquiry: 09068684414
SLAIN. The bodies of slain young rebels belonging to the New People’s Army (NPA) were scattered in front of the house of Calpito “Datu Kalpit” Egua. Photo courtesy of San Franz Radio 96.1 FM
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776