Mindanao Daily Caraga (September 18, 2014)

Page 1

Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper

Thursday

ZING

QUANTUM PENDANT I N S TA N T PERFORMANCE

ENHANCER

For Price, Inquiry & Demo, visit: GREATLAB Polyclinic and Drug testing Center

LIFESTYLE DISTRICT, Corrales Ext., Cagayan de Oro City Contact NOs: (088) 8502489; 09189659562; 09177929464

See story on Page A1 12 September 18, 2014 P15.00

CHR to assist victims of human rights violations Volume III, No. 099

web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com

By PAT SAMONTE Regional Editor-Caraga

B

UTUAN City––The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) announced that Human Rights Victims Claims Board (HRVCB) regional intake desks have been set up in CHR Region XI in Davao City and CHR Region XII in Cotabato City to serve Martial Law human rights victims in Mindanao. See FULL STORY, page A3

Search for for missing passengers called off SURIGAO City––From search and rescue, authorities have shifted to retrieval operations for the still unaccounted passengers of the ill-fated MV Maharlika 2 since Monday evening. Capt. Joseph Coyme, deputy district commander of the Philippine Coast Guard in Northern Mindanao, told reporters they were still looking for some more passengers of the ferry that sank off Southern Leyte on Saturday. Coyme said only one passenger remained missing based on the manifest but that there were others whose names were not listed. MV Maharlika 2 sailed at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday despite the weather condition, carrying at least 58 passengers, 23 crew members and 13 rolling cargoes based on the manifest. But as of Tuesday, 110 crew members and passengers had been accounted. Eight bodies have been retrieved so far while other passengers were still missing. Coyme said three patrol boats of the Philippine Navy, a Coast Guard rescue boat and a helicopter of the Philippine Air Force were looking for the missing passengers. Atty. Manuel Coro, designate officer of the See search, page A11

HEALTH PACKAGE. Punong barangays are given updates for the Maternal Care Package (MCP), a program designed to cater pregnant

women. It was conducted September 16, 2014 at Limketkai Luxe Hotel, Cagayan de Oro City. MCP can be availed of from barangay health centers for free. The event conducted is to further monitor and discuss issues, concerns and plans regarding MCP such as accreditation process. City Health Office also gave reports that focuses on maternal, new-born child health and nutrition/family planning (MNCHN/FP) in CDO. In the photo is Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno together with some city health officers, barangay captains and councilors, and chairpersons on health national agency/organization. Photo by Irene Dayo, staffmember

Coast Guard starts probe on ill-fated ferry SURIGAO City––Coast Guard officials from Manila have started to investigate the ill-fated marine vessel Maharlika 2. The maritime investigation – spearheaded by Commodore Gilbert S. Rueras, commander of the Coast Guard’s Maritime Safety Services based in Manila – began Tuesday afternoon at the Lipata Port here, according to Noel M. Torralba, local substation commander of Philippine Coast Guard. Rueras now sits as the chairman of the Special Board of Marine Inquiry on the sea mishap that happened Saturday evening off Pintuyan, Southern Leyte. Reuras has summoned the crew of the ill-fated

ship headed by ship skipper Juan Cuyago Tuesday afternoon. The MV Maharlika 2, operated and managed by Philharbor Ferries and Port Services, Inc., left Lipata Port in Surigao City at11:30 a.m. last Saturday for Liloan, Southern Leyte. But it sank in the evening, killing at least eight persons. A total of 110 persons were rescued while three are still missing, according to the incident command center at Lipata Port. The manifest list, however, showed only 58 passengers and 26 crew members. The three missing persons are also those in the manifest list. But Capt. Joseph Coyme,

deputy district commander of the Philippine Coast Guard in Northern Mindanao, pointed out that there are more missing passengers who are not in the manifest list, as reported by relatives. Coyme said, too, that there were actually 32 crew members who boarded the ship, not 26 as listed in the manifest. Emmanuel B. Carpio, regional director of the Maritime Industry Authority who is part of the investigating body, told MindaNews that the crew of MV Maharlika has failed to submit an incident report on the sea mishap within the required 24-hour period. See ferry, page A11

Cops looking at angles behind Gensan grenade bombing

GENERAL Santos City–– Police authorities are looking at a number of angles as possible motive in the explosion at a plaza in front of the main city hall building here on Tuesday night that injured nine people. Supt. Rolly Octavio,

deputy city police director for administration, said Wednesday their investigation is still ongoing in connection with the blast, which occurred past 7 p.m. near the monument of national hero Jose P. Rizal at See LOOKING, page A11

18 construction workers downed by food poisoning ZAMBOANGA City––Eighteen construction workers were downed by suspected food poisoning after they ate barracuda fish for breakfast and lunch Tuesday. Gilbert delos Santos, one of the hospitalized construction workers, said Wednesday the Barracuda fish they ate was bought from a hook-and-line fisherman who just arrived from fishing. See workers, page A11

Drug suspect died; 3 police officers injured in shootout City for some time was killed Tuesday evening when he opted to shoot it out against CAGAYAN de Oro City-- policemen rather than be A drug suspect wanted by arrested. police in Cagayan de Oro Jamail Macarambat, By GERRY LEE GORIT Correspondent

alias Palito, was going to be served a warrant of arrest at his house by the police when he got wind of the approaching police team and took his caliber .45 pistol

and two grenades. Macarambat died in the shootout, but managed to injure three policemen with one grenade that exploded near them as they

approached the house at Barangay Bulua around 7 p.m. Bulua police station chief Insp. Richie Salva said See shootout, page A11

Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.