BusinessWeek Mindanao (June 18-20, 2016)

Page 1

BusinessWeek MINDANAO

WE ACCEPT

TARPS

2013 ppi’S Best in Business and Economic Reporting

YOUR Mindanao-wide BUSINESS paper

Volume VII, No. 006

Market Indicators As of 6:10 pm june 17, 2016 (friday)

FOREX

PHISIX

US$1 = P46.43

7,622.07

X

1 cent

57.60 points

X

Briefly CDO’s P2.4B budget THE CAGAYAN de Oro City Council has enacted on June 13 Ordinance No. 13081-2016, approving the 2016 annual budgets of the General Fund with an estimated income of P2,247,054,056 and of the Special Account: Economic Enterprises with estimated incomes of P63,400,705 for the City Economic Enterprises and P13,512,112 for the EastWestbound Terminals and Public Market, and P136,033,127 for the J.R. Borja General Hospital, to finance various estimated expenditures of the same amounts, respectively for calendar year 2016. Councilor Alden Bacal, vice chair of the committee on finance and ways and means, said this year’s P2.460 billion budget is 18-percent higher than last year’s budget of P2.08 billion.

2014 ppi’S Best in ENVIRONMENTAL Reporting

Corporation

0915-563-6246

PLDT rebrands, pumps capex to boost services www.businessweekmindanao.com

Sat-Mon | June 18-20, 2016

By CHENG ORDOÑEZ, Executive Editor

Piñol to employ farmers affected by drought

M

AKATI City -- Philippine Long Distance Telecommunication, Inc. (PLDT) and Smart Communications Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Manuel V. Pangilinan is set to pump an additional P3-billion investment for fourthand fifth-generation (4G and 5G) cellular infrastructure. Pangilinan announced t h e a d d i t i o n a l c ap i t a l expenditures during the company’s 2016 Annual Stockholders Meeting held

on June 14 at the Shangri-La Makati. The annual event was highlighted by the launching rebrands/PAGE 11

By ANTONIO L. COLINA IV

BIG BOSS. PLDT top honcho Manuel Pangilinan is gearing up for advanced cellular services.

Vivant to pour in P3-B for Cebu, Mis Oriental power generation projects

Asia’s top University XAVIER University - Ateneo de Cagayan debuted in the 2016 Asian university rankings released by Londonbased education and career consultancy Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). XU secured a spot in the 251-300 bracket in the QS University Rankings, released on Tuesday, June 14. “I am very pleased to inform the community that Xavier University was included in the 2016 Asian university rankings released by Quacquarelli Symonds,” XU President Fr Roberto C Yap SJ said. “The QS University Rankings Asia highlights the top 350 Asian universities.”

P15.00

STICKERS BusinessWeek MINDANAO

BALIK-ESKWELA DISKWENTO. A passerby looks at the goodies on sale at the Balik Eskwela Diskwento Caravan held over the weekend at City Hall grounds in Cagayan de Oro City. The seasonal Diskwento Caravan is a project of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). PHOTO BY MARK FRANCISCO

CEBU-based energy firm Vivant Corporation (Vivant) is eyeing P3 billion in additional investments to finance further expansion of its power generation portfolio. In a statement following its Annual Stockholders’ meeting, the Garcia-Escano

family owned firm said that its generation capacity has reached 252 MW as of end2015. A 55 percent expansion is expected once ongoing projects are completed, for which the firm will need additional equity infusion. vivant/PAGE 11

Surigao priests decry proposed limestone quarry By ROEL CATOTO, MindaNews

GIGAQUIT, Surigao del Norte -- Roman Catholic priests in this municipality have been reiterating their call against the planned limestone quarry activities in the village of San Isidro. Fr. Nick Penados, the

parish priest of Gigaquit, told MindaNews Wednesday that they don’t want to allow any mining or limestone quarrying activity in the town, worried of its adverse effects on the environment. Fr. Mario Noblefranca,

Penados’ colleague in the parish, said the town doesn’t need the presence of a limestone quarry, adding that the people have survived without it. Penados told the crowd during an anti-quarrying meeting last Saturday at the village’s covered basketball

court that limestone quarrying would only ruin the environment of Gigaquit. The priest warned that the limestone quarry company would only make good promises to the constituents and these would never be materialized. quarry/PAGE 11

DAVAO City -- Incoming agriculture secretar y Emmanuel “Manny” Piñol is planning to employ farmers in El Niño-stricken areas through the cash-for-work program to assist them in the recovery stage. Piñol told a press conference at the Grand Regal Hotel Thursday that two days after he was informed by President-elect Rodrigo R. Duterte of his appointment, he went around the provinces across the Philippines to see for himself the extent of damage caused by the drought. “I started ‘Byaheng Bukid’ which brought me to different parts of the country. Except for the island provinces, I virtually covered the entire country. I reported to the president that the effects of El Niño was really worse that farmers really need help soon,” he said. He proposed to Duterte that a cash-for-work program be employed to assist the affected farmers and the fisherfolks adversely affected by the El Niño phenomenon two to three months after Duter te takes over the presidency. Though he did not give an offhand count, Piñol said the government still has remaining funds that are employ/PAGE 11

Editorial and advertising email : businessweekmindanao@gmail.com • Cell Number : 0917-7121424 • 0947-8935776


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.