BusinessWeek Mindanao (April 13, 2016)

Page 1

BusinessWeek MINDANAO

2013 ppi’S Best in Business and Economic Reporting

YOUR Mindanao-wide BUSINESS paper

Volume VI, No. 123

Market Indicators As of 5:30 pm april 12, 2016 (tuesday)

FOREX

PHISIX

US$1 = P46.11

7,291.43

7.7

X X Briefly

cents

44.23 points

Power supply AS part of the Power Task Force Election 2016, the Department of Energy remains keen on ensuring that power supply in the country will be adequate, reliable and stable for the entire summer period, especially during the national and local elections. “Our team is currently assessing the power supply situation by closely coordinating with the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines and the power plant owners/ operators in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao to make sure that the generating facilities which are currently on maintenance shutdown will be back online ahead of the election period,” Energy Secretary Zenaida Monsada said. She emphasized that these planned outages are more on the integrity assessment of the plants to ensure that these are sound and running during the elections period.

Drop in malnutrition TANDAG City -- The malnutrition prevalence here has gone down to a significant extent “based on the OPT (Operation Timbang) result for the year,” according to Marilou Gallardo, provincial nutrition officer III. Gallardo, who spoke in behalf of Ermelinda Azcares, provincial nutrition officer, during Monday’s flag ceremony program, presented “an update of the 1st Quarter 2016 activities” of their office. She pointed out that the prevalence of malnutrition “for the province is now 9.7% from 12.22% of the past year.” Citing seven impact programs: “Home, School and Community Food Production; Micronutrient Supplementation; Food Fortification; Nutrition Education Program; Food Assistance; Livelihood Assistance; and Nutrition in Essential Maternal & Child Health Services,” Gallardo said that “we always try our very best to implement these.”

2014 ppi’S Best in ENVIRONMENTAL Reporting

Stable power supply assured in May polls www.businessweekmindanao.com

P15.00

Wednesday | April 13, 2016

E

By ANTONIO L. COLINA IV, MindaNews

NERGY Secretary Zenaida Monsada assured there would be sufficient power supply in Mindanao during the May 9 automated local and national elections. In an e-mailed statement S a t u r d a y, M o n s a d a emphasized that Filipino voters “deserve a clean and unquestionable elections with the stable provision of

electricity during the election period.” Monsada chairs the Power Task Force Election (PTFE) 2016 which met in Cagayan supply/PAGE 11

Davao Light taps SPPC for additional power By CARMELITO Q. FRANCISCO, Correspondent

FEWER HARVEST. A farm worker packs boxes of bananas to be delivered to Davao City at a buying station in Purok 2, Barangay Batasan, Makilala, North Cotabato. Banana growers complain of decline in harvest due to the drought. MindaNews photo by Toto Lozano

Mindanao receives P12-B for rural development projects By ANTONIO L. COLINA IV, MindaNews

DAVAO City -- Mindanao has received around P12 billion from the World Bank’s Philippine Rural Development Project (PRDP) for infrastructure projects this year to assist farmers develop commodities and to provide farm-to-market roads. The amount is more than half of PRDP’s P20.26

billion loan by the national government from the World Bank. During the press conference held at the second day of 2nd World Bank Mission on Friday, PRDP national deputy director Engr. Arnel de Mesa said at least P6.05 billion worth of projects had been approved as of March 30, 2016 and

another P6 billion are in the pipeline. “Most of the infrastructure projects are farm-to-market roads,” he said. Of the approved infrastructure projects, Region 9 or Zamboanga Peninsula gets P1.352 billion; Region 10 or Northern Mindanao gets P1.462 billion; Region 1 or Davao Region, with P1.109 billion; Region projects/PAGE 11

DAVAO CITY -- The city’s e l e c t r i c i t y d i s t r i b u t o r, Davao Light and Power C o. ( DL P C ) , w i l l d r aw about 50 megawatts (MW) from the Southern

Philippines Power Corp. (SPPC) starting May 1 to offset part of the power supply def icienc y f rom the Mindanao main grid. power/PAGE 11

DRIED UP FARM. A farmer in Linangkod, Kidapawan City shows his dried up rice field as the effect of El Nino worsens. As a result, the rice plants could not produce grain due to lack of water, and no harvest for him and many other farmers in the area. MindaNews photo by Geonarri Solmerano

Ferrer : Bangsamoro peace process continuity duty of next Congress

Ferrer

GOVERNMENT chief negotiator Professor Miriam Coronel-Ferrer believes it is the responsibility of would-be members of the next Congress to ensure the continuity of the Bangsamoro peace process by refiling and passing the stalled Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL)

while it was the responsibility of peace-loving voters to elect candidates who would do so. “[A]lam natin na yung ihahalal ngayon sa House of Representatives, sila ang kailangan nating manguna sa pagpapatuloy nitong BBL -- yung Bangsamoro Basic

Law -- sa pag-aayos niyan at pagtitiyak na isang magandang batas ang mailabas natin.” said Ferrer in a recent interview with a radio station in Cagayan de Oro city where she attended the Usapang Kapayapan: A Forum for Congressional Candidates. bangsamoro/PAGE 11

Editorial and advertising email : businessweekmindanao@gmail.com • Cell Number : 0917-7121424 • 0947-8935776


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.