Mindanao DAILY THE PURVEYOR OF TRUTH , JUSTICE, AND DEVELOPMENT
Volume VI, No. 062
web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
Tuesday
August 9, 2016
P15.00
A1
Mining firm made communities happy By CHRIS V. PANGANIBAN Contributing Editor
MACO, Compostela Valley--A mining company has found better ways to positively deal with the ugly past it incurred with hostilities from their detractors within their mining areas. Since then, when win-win schemes were introduced by the new owners in the latter part of 2014, Apex Mining Company has enjoyed a peaceful co-existing The 45-unit housing complex built by Apex Mining Company for the lumad residents harmonious relationship with residents living ia small village hit by geohazard map. Mindanao Daily photo by Janus Louise Panganiban living in communities within the more
than 2,000 hectare mining complex and even in neighboring areas. The new industrial concept which is the brainchild of Apex Mining President and CEO Walter William Brown, dwelt mainly on giving first and foremost priority to local residents for any livelihood opportunities rather than relying on industrial suppliers in the nearby urban areas. Among the recipients of these community-first productive livelihood activities were the local Catholic parish church, former protesting small-scale miners
Normin policemen in Digong’s list sacked By GERRY LEE GORIT Correspondent
CAGAYAN de Oro City–– The regional police command here has ordered its officers who are in the list of those suspected of being involved in narcopolitics to be relieved, disarmed and restricted from doing their law enforcement functions. This was the directive
given by Chief Superintendent Noel Constantino, Philippine National Police-10 (PNP-10) regional commander following the revelation made by Pres. Rodrigo Duterte over the weekend. Effective Sunday, Aug. 7, all police officers named by Duterte are no longer allowed to leave their
See list, page A7
Duterte’s ‘validated’ watchlist includes cop already in prison By Froilan Gallardo of MindaNews
CAGAYAN de Oro City––President Rodrigo Duterte said the list ot 163 persons allegedly involved in the illegal drugs trade is a “validated” list but SPO1 Reynaldo dela Victoria, one of those tagged, need not be on the list: he was arrested by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in September 2014 and is presently detained at the Lumbia City Jail here. Duterte announced the names of 163 judges, politicians and police officers on his drugs watchlist. A cursory check of the winners in the May 2016 elections See prison, page A6
See HAPPY, page A7
Dismayed, group seeks NBI help By Mark D. Francisco Correspondent
CAGAYAN de Oro City– –A group, advocating for Lumad causes in Mindanao, on Monday (August 8) soought the help of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Region 10 for the speedy arrest of the suspect allegedly responsible for the killing of a pregnant woman and the wounding of five others on July 30 in San Fernando town, Bukidnon. Kalumbay Secretar y General Roger Plana told Mindanao Daily that his said is helping families of the victims in calling for the government’s speedy apprehension of the suspect. Kalumbay, Plana said, counts among its members thousands of non-Christian and non-Muslim tribes in Mindanao, See group, page A7
Lanao Sur vice governor gets death threats By Mark D. Francisco Correspondent
ANDANAR IN ORO. Presidential Communications
Office chief Sec. Martin Andanar meets members of the media, Monday, August 8, 2016, at Kave Bar, Limketkai Luxe Hotel, Cagayan de Oro City. Andanar also met with government communications agencies and has vowed to give them “shots in the arm” during his term. Mindanao Daily photo by Gerry Lee Gorit
CAGAYAN de Oro City-The Vice Governor of Lanao del Sur is now getting numerous death threats shortly after President Rodrigo Duterte publicly announced the names of those public officials allegedly involved
in illegal drug trade, an official said yesterday. Provincial spokesperson Salma Jayne A. Tamano confirmed this yesterday before Communications Secretary Martin Andanar who was in Cagayan de Oro City to prepare the visit of President Rodrigo Duterte at a military camp today.
During the press conference, Ms. Tamano said the provincial government of Lanao del Sur is calling on the Duterte administration to continue prosecuting those involved in the illegal drug trade in the province. “My bosses – Governor Soraya A. Adiong and Vice Governor Mamintal A. Adi-
ong Jr. – have sent me here to express their support to President Duterte’s continuing campaign against illegal drugs,” Tamano told reporters during a press conference. This, even as Tamano disclosed that the vice governor has started
See threats, page A6
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776