Mindanao DAILY THE PURVEYOR OF TRUTH , JUSTICE, AND DEVELOPMENT
Volume VI, No. 057
web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
Wednesday
August 3, 2016
P15.00
A1
Duterte says road to peace is ‘always rocky’ but talks with NDF will continue By Carolyn O. Arguillas are hoping that we could just talk, maybe we did not understand of MindaNews each other. And so, the best way DAVAO City––The road to peace is really, is to talk again and find is “always rocky” and even if his out whether (peace) is reachable declaration of unilateral ceasefire or beyond our reach,” he told the was not reciprocated, peace nego- appointees. At 7 p.m. on July 30, Duterte tiations with the National Democratic Front (NDF) will continue, lifted his July 25 order for a uniPresident Rodrigo Duterte said on lateral ceasefire when the NDF Monday at the mass oath-taking did not reciprocate it by 5 p.m. Duterte gave the NDF 24 hours of undersecretaries at the Rizal or up to 5 p.m. on July 30 to also Hall in Malacanang. “There is no negotiation that declare its unilateral ceasefire comes easy to us especially given following the ambush by the New the turmoil of our country. We Peoples Army (NPA) on July 27
Bukidnon govt helps 35 ex-pushers CAGAYAN de Oro City--The province of Bukidnon has released P875,000 for the livelihood program of 35 individuals who were erstwhile engaged in illegal drug activities, Governor Jose Maria Zubiri said Monday. Zubiri made the announcement after he escorted 14 new individuals from Bukidnon w h o av ai l e d of the police ZUBIRI “Operation Tokhang” (Knock and Appeal) program. He said the 14 individuals who came from Talakag, Malaybalay, and Lantapan surrendered to the provincial governor’s office under the “Tokhang” program. Zubiri said that the 14 individuals who voluntarily surrendered were the fourth batch from Bukidnon since the “Tokhang” was implemented in June last month. Zubiri said that the NBI’s regional office here has determined that the 35 individuals were “pushers,” which entitled each them for a Php 25,000 livelihood assistance from the provincial government of Bukidnon. According to Zubiri, 12 of the 35 persons received a check worth Php 25,000 each Monday morning while the checks for the other 23 individuals are now being processed. He said that he preferred
See bukidnon, page A7
that killed a Cafgu member and injured four others in Kapalong, Davao del Norte. In his first State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 25, Duterte specifically addressed the CPP/NPA/NDF (Communist Party of the Philippines/New People’s Army/National Democratic Front): “ let us end these decades of ambuscades and skirmishes. We are going nowhere. And it is getting bloodier by the day.” Daddy time. Veronica, youngest daughter of President Rodrigo He declared a unilateral cease- Duterte, snuggles up to him while watching an intermission number fire “to immediately stop during the Presidential Security Group Fellowship Night at the PSG
BOC teams up with PDEA in fight v ‘drugs’ See peace, page A7
Compound in Malacañang Park on July 31, 2016. Ace Morandante/PPD
By GERRY LEE GORIT Correspondent
CAGAYAN de Oro City--The newly organized Bureau of Customs-Port of Cagayan de Oro’s Anti-Smuggling and AntiCorruption Team (BOC-CDO Team) has teamed up with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency’s (PDEA) in Northern Mindanao to beef up the Duterte administration’s war against illegal drugs. The BOC-CDO team tied up with the PDEA to raise the country’s border security and thwart the possible entry of illegal drugs through the CDO port and its three sub-ports namely the Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT), Ozamis and Iligan. PDEA agents backed by drugsniffing dogs have earlier combed the Mindanao Container Port Terminal in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental in search for illegal drugs. See DRUGS, page A7
NewsInFocus 90-day rehab starts
THE city of Gingoog under Mayor Marie de Lara Guingona yesterday (August 2) spearheaded the implementation of the 90-day comprehensive community-based rehabilitation program for the 2,612 self-confessed drug pushers GUINGONA and users who voluntarily surrendered on August 1.
See rehab, page A7
Jail overcrowded
KORONADAL City--South Cotabato and Koronadal City officials are in a quandary where to place persons arrested for illegal drug use as the South Cotabato provincial jail has been filled beyond its capacity. “That is our biggest problem right now, where to place these persons, we need to have new areas where they can be safely kept and their rights are not violated,” See jail, page A7
Rehab for women
BUTUAN City––The Department of Health Regional Office 13 has planned to build a rehabilitation center for women here in the city. This was learned from Mr. Alister Campos, a nurse from the Regional Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation Center, based in Surigao City, during a recent forum. According to Campos, a letter request by the regional health ANTI-DRUG DRIVE. The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency office here was sent to the local in Region 10 backed by drug-sniffing dogs inspect a file of “UkayUkay” from the container vans at the Mindanao Container Terminal government unit here, requesting in Tagoloan town, Misamis Oriental, in search for illegal drugs. for a lot donation as site for the Mindanao Daily photo by Gerry Lee Gorit
See women, page A7
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776