MindanaoDAILY THE PURVEYOR OF TRUTH , JUSTICE, AND DEVELOPMENT
Volume VI, No. 069
web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
Thursday
August 18, 2016
P15.00
A1
Members of the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro Conversations led by Myrna Siose and Monsignor Elmer Abacahin, also the president of the Cagayan de Oro Press Club, Inc. (COPC), discuss issues of the country’s drug problems August 16, 2016 at the Bishop’s House. Photo by Mike Baños, NPN
Oro prelate: Churches open as rehab centers ‘Ka Paris’ out on bail, to attend Oslo talks
By FROILAN GALLARDO of MindaNews
C
AGAYAN de Oro City--Archbishop Antonio Ledesma on Wednesday said he is open for a move to make local Catholic churches serve as rehabilitation centers to the more than 5,000 alleged drug pushers and addicts who have surrendered to the police last month.
By Mark D. Francisco Correspondent
CAGAYAN de Oro City-A top Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) official in Mindanao was released on bail yesterday afternoon by the Regional Trial Court here. Judge Florencia Abbu, of the Regional Trial Court Branch 17 ordered the temporay freedom of Alfredo Mapano alias “Ka Paris” after posting bail paving the way for him to become part of the negotiating team of the National Democratic Front in the Oslo peace talks on August 20. Ka Paris has been languishing in prison for the past seven years after he was arrested for See bail, page A7
This was the first public pronouncement nationwide by a top Catholic leader to allow illegal drug dependents to seek refuge to parish churches where they can have the opportunity to reform their lives. “Pastoral charity urges FREE AT LAST. Alfredo Mapano, alias Ka Paris, clenches his fist after posting us to concretize this reality. P100,000 bailbond on Wednesday afternoon for his temporary liberty. Mindanao Daily photo by Gerry Lee Gorit We should organize our
communities to become ‘islands of mercy’ and ‘field hospitals’,” Ledesma said. Ledesma also asked his parishioners to join the Mass and city-wide procession that would be attended by the suspected drug pushers and addicts on Monday August 22. See prelate, page A7
Dad censures Moresco II over high electricity rates By Mark D. Francisco Correspondent
CAGAYAN de Oro City--Provincial board member Vincent K. Pelaez on Monday chided the officials of the power utility Misamis Oriental
II Electric Cooperative (Moresco II) for imposing higher electricity rates. Also, Pelaez criticized the alleged mismanagement of the power utility Misamis Oriental Electric Service Cooperative (Moresco)
II which it said is detrimental to consumers from the eastern part of the province. In particular, the provincial lawmaker said Moresco II did not prepare any contingency in the event that the Supreme Court (SC)
would rule against its petition to grant real property tax exemption. Moresco II representatives headed by general manager Ronel Cañada graced the SP weekly session last Monday supposedly to ask See censures, page A7
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776