The Albemarle High School Alumni Association
Mr. Benjamin Hurt And The
The Albemarle High School Alumni Hall of Fame
May 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM The Albemarle High School Auditorium Contacts: Charles Crenshaw (’58) email@example.com 434-973-7326 Stan Maupin (’67) firstname.lastname@example.org 804-986-1403
May 13, 2011 – Albemarle High School Auditorium
“A Night To Remember” is an event recognizing the leadership of Benjamin F. Hurt, the principal of Albemarle High School from 1954 to 1984. The first class of the Albemarle Alumni Hall of Fame will also be announced at the event.
Location & Time Albemarle High School Auditorium 2775 Hydraulic Road Charlottesville, VA 22901 Presentation ‐ 6:00 ‐ 7:30pm ‐ Auditorium Greet Mr. Hurt ‐ 7:30 until ‐ Cafeteria
Presentation Greet Mr. Hurt and Hall of Fame Music by AHS musical group Receiving Line Introductions Brief Remarks Thank You to Sponsors and Workers Receiving Line Recognition of AHS Alumni Hall of Fame Slide Show – Benjamin Hurt’s Legacy Introduction of Mr. Hurt Remarks By Mr. Hurt Presentation of Book of Memories to Mr. Hurt 500‐700 people Alumni targeted by marketing efforts are: Alumni of Albemarle High School 36 to 75 years old Virginia residents or adult children of parents in Charlottesville area Based on current registrations, a breakdown of the attendance will follow these lines: Geographic o 60% within 25 miles of Charlottesville o 80% from state of Virginia o Remaining 20% from 23 states Age – Upwards of 77% of attendees are of age where they are dealing with senior living and increasing health care issues: Age 21‐35 2% 36‐45 21% 46‐55 31% 56‐65 29% >65 19% 100% Socio‐economic o 70+% attended college
Estimated Attendance Expected Attendees
“10,000 Memories” Students and Faculty Remember Mr. Hurt
Benjamin Hurt – AHS Principal 1954‐1984 More than 10,400 Albemarle High School students “walked the stage” and received their diploma from Principal Ben Hurt during his 30 years at the school. He remembers the names, graduating years, siblings, career paths and lots more about every one of his former students.
His commitment to the students who attended Albemarle during his years as principal did not end when he retired in 1984. Now in his 90’s, Mr. Hurt still attends almost every reunion of the 30 classes that graduated during his term. Many former students are surprised when he attends the funeral of one of their parents or classmates or just stops to ask about them in the grocery store.
Many of Mr. Hurt’s “10,000 memories” have wondered how they can show their appreciation for the special role he has played in so many lives. We could think of no better way than to tell him how we remember him.
On May 13th, we will have that chance. During “A Night To Remember” dedicated to honoring Mr. Hurt and others who have served the Albemarle Community, a book containing hundreds of memories and expressions of appreciation from former students, faculty and friends will be presented to Mr. Hurt.
The response to our request for memories for the book has been overwhelming in both number and quality. Before it is completed, the book will include entries from more than 300 individuals who have been affected by Mr. Hurt.
Please go to our website to add yours.
A Sample of The Memories Included in “10,000 Memories”
I remember being sent to Mr. Hurt's office because I was talking in Algebra 2. As I sat there with trembling lips, ready to cry, he kindly explained to me that while Algebra was easy for me, it might not be for the friend I was talking to! (An early "it's not all about you" lesson!)
When you look up the word "principal", it reads "Mr. Ben Hurt". Though quiet spoken he always communicated a seriousness of intent. Fair, just, and patient, he is simply a wonderful leader and, most of all, human being. Thank you for the lessons you imparted to all of us. Bless you, sir!
I remember one time attempting to remind Mr. Hurt of an incident in AHS that landed me in his office. He very graciously and lovingly said, "Melvin, I don't remember the bad things about people, just the good things". This is Mr. Hurt.
God bless this very special man and his family.
Please Join Hundreds of Other Albemarle High School Alumni For
May 13, 2011 Albemarle High School Auditorium 6>00 to 9:00 PM There is no charge for the event, but we need you to RSVP so we will how many to expect and so that your friends will know you are coming.
Register today at “A Night To Remember” Whether or not you can attend, please add your memory or special note to Mr. Hurt directly from our website at Mr. Hurt Memories For More Information about the AHS Alumni Association, please visit www.albemarlealumni.com