Serving Bureau County Since 1847
Thursday, September 4, 2014
NEWSSTAND PRICE 75¢
Cain: ‘It’s a dangerous situation’ Princeton asks recyclers to not scrounge through items at center By Donna Barker dbarker@bcrnews.com
PRINCETON — People are not to be scrounging through items left at the Princeton Recycling Center. That’s the message given by Princeton Mayor Keith Cain at Tuesday’s
meeting of the Princeton City Council. Cain said people are to get out of their vehicles to dump their recyclables and then get back into their vehicles and leave. They are not to be walking through the area. “You are allowed to dump whatever is recyclable,
but you’re not allowed to walk through there, pick out stuff and take the stuff out of there,” Cain said. “We stopped some people already, and it’s still being abused. We do not, and I stress do not, allow that. If someone gets hurt in there, our insurance company will have fits with us. We just can’t allow it. It’s a dangerous situation.” Following the meeting, Cain said searching through
items at the recycling center includes picking up empty boxes to use for packing or moving. That is not allowed. It is too potentially dangerous and a liability to the city, he said. In a further update on the recycling center, Princeton City Manager Jeff Clawson said a demo camera was tested last week at the recycling center to see if it could work with the existing system, until new cameras
could be installed. Also, a new sign, listing the recycling center’s rules, has been ordered and will go up within the next few weeks. New brochures for residents have been completed which detail acceptable items and rules for the recycling center. In other business at Tuesday’s meeting, Clawson said field work has been completed on the storm sewer portion of the South Church
Street’s sanitary sewer system project. The city will now move forward with further plans to get that project completed, likely by next spring. Also, field work has been completed on the northeast section of town, and plans will be put together for Phase 1 of the sewer replacement project for that area, Clawson said.
Recycling Page 3
Four felonies involving a child By Donna Barker dbarker@bcrnews.com
PRINCETON — An Iowa man has been arrested on four charges involving a child solicitation incident in Bureau County. Michael R. Marlof, 64, of Bettendorf, Iowa, was arrested Aug. 18 in Bureau County and charged with the Class 3 felonies of indecent solicitation of a child and traveling to meet a minor and with the Class 4 felonies of solicitation to meet a child and grooming. Marloff appeared in Bureau County Court Tuesday afternoon for a probable cause hearing before Associate Circuit Judge C.J. Hollerich. The judge appointed Public Defender Michael Henneberry to represent Marlof. Prosecuting the case is Bureau County State’s Attorney Patrick Herrmann. Marlof remains in custody in lieu of $25,000 bond. The case will be presented on Sept. 15 to a Bureau County grand jury with arraignment to follow that afternoon. Late Tuesday afternoon, Herrmann said he filed only the Class 3 felony of indecent solicitation of a child charge at Tuesday’s probable cause hearing. Between now and the Sept. 15 grand jury session, he will have the opportunity to review the complete report on Marlof, and additional charges could be presented to the grand jury. The Aug. 18 arrest stems from Marlof’s communication, through electronic media of texting or email, with a Bureau County Deputy, posing as a 14-year-old female, Herrmann said. Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.
BCR photo/Goldie Currie
Dave Hornbaker and Molly Hornbaker-Blogg begin setting up for the second annual artisan market at Hornbaker Garden’s this Saturday, Sept. 6. Brought back by popular demand, the event will feature 30 artists, who will be selling all sorts of art mediums, along with wine tasting, artisan cheese, organic meats and eggs, fresh produce, bakery treats and much, much more. A variety of entertainment is planned, as well.
Hornbaker Gardens to host annual Artisan Market Event brought back by popular demand By Goldie Currie gcurrie@bcrnews.com
PRINCETON — Hornbaker Gardens is revving up for its second annual artisan market event, which takes places this Saturday, Sept. 6. This year’s market will run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and show-
cases 30 artists, who will be selling a variety of art mediums — from handmade jewelry, pottery, mosaic tile to photography, folk art and much, much more. Marcie Jaggers, coordinator of the event, confirmed many of the artists that were at last year’s market will be returning, and a handful of new artists have signed on.
Jaggers said last year’s event was so well attended, and many of the artists were thrilled to say it was the most art they had sold in one day. “From what they say, it proves that people just didn’t come and look last year, they actually purchased items, which is a great thing for our local artists,” she said. Aside from the shopping, there will be wine tasting with August Hill Winery, baked goods available from local bakeries like
Year 168 No. 106 One Section - 28 Pages
98213 00012 1 © Bureau County Republican 7
Tell your physician and hospital you want Bounce Back!
• Joint Replacement Rehab • Medicare Certified • Suites with Private Bath/ Shower
Flour House Bakery and Baker’s Dozen. New this year will be artisan cheese tasting with Ropp Jersey Cheese of Normal; Coneflower Farm will be selling their fresh-picked local produce; and Meadow Haven Farm will provide organic meats and eggs. Also on site will be local food vendors including Four and Twenty Cafe, Kramer’s Kitchen and Sisler’s Ice Cream.
Artisan Market Page 4
Liberty Village Not-for-Profit Provider
www.simplythefinest.net 140 N. 6th St., Princeton • 815-875-6600 3230 Becker Drive, Peru • 815-224-2200