NC CEE G GEEO ORRG GEE C C IITTII Z ZE EN N PPRRII N
HU U RR SS D DA AY Y ,, JJ U U LL Y Y 44 ,, 22 00 22 44 TT H
11
12,000 Jackpot
$
SUPER BINGO
($7,500 cash plus $4,500 Slot Free Play)
0
58307
00200
5
Saturday, JuNE 29th Saturday Evening Bingo at 6pm
Fan support can keep Cougars in Prince George ... Page 8
Building owner denies responsibility for blast MARK NIELSEN
Special to The Citizen
The owner of a downtown building is disputing a legal action the City of Prince George has brought against it in the aftermath of a natural gas explosion last summer that levelled the structure and seriously injured a city employee. In a response filed in court, Commonwealth Campus has denied the city’s claim that it had failed to properly secure the building at 422 Dominion St. from break-ins, damage and theft. Instead, Commonwealth says it had “acted in a reasonable and lawful manner at all times,” including the “hiring of a licensed security firm to perform regular inspection of the exterior and the interior of the building including on the day prior to the date of loss.” The explosion was “due to the negligence, activities and conduct of persons unknown,” Commonwealth says. On the morning of Aug. 22, 2023, the old Achillion restaurant building was
SHAYNE HAWLEY PHOTO
RCMP work on the scene of the Aug. 22, 2023 explosion that levelled the former Achillion restaurant in downtown Prince George.
destroyed in a blast that was heard for kilometres around. A city parks worker who smelled gas was seriously injured by the explosion as she was walking away from the east entrance to the building. Two other
people were taken to hospital with minor injuries. At the time of the blast, the building had been listed for lease or sale for several years by Commonwealth. It hadn’t been used as a restaurant
since the Achillion closed on Oct. 29, 2016 when owner Kostas Iliopulos retired after 32 years of operating the popular eatery. SEE ‘BLAST’ ON PAGE 4