7,000 Jackpot
$
SUPER BINGO
JULY 30, 2022, Saturday Evening Bingo at 6pm
$600 regular game with (1,200 double win)
ON THE TRADITIONAL TERRITORY OF THE LHEIDLI T’ENNEH
AIMING HIGHER Since 1916
THURSDAY, July 28, 2022
PGCITIZEN.CA
PRINCEGEORGECITIZEN
2022 BC Summer Games athletes strived for greatness
A10-13
Fire ban starts
TED CLARKE Citizen staff
The Golden Arches are expanding their reach and will soon be bringing a fast-food feast to the western bowl section of Prince George. McDonald’s bought the site of the iconic China Sail restaurant at Fifth Avenue and Tabor Boulevard and earlier this month the demolition began.
The site has been cleared for a new McDonald’s restaurant and construction will begin as soon as possible, according to Eric Simmons, the company’s Prince George operations manager. When it opens, it will be the eighth McDonald’s restaurant in the city. “The big thing is the density of the residential area, Prince George is growing rapidly and it was a site we were definitely interested in when we
heard it was for sale,” said Simmons. “You’ve got D.P. Todd high school there and the city continues to grow and we think it’s a great location. “It will be similar to all our other restaurants, it will have drivethrough, dine and McDelivery. It will not have a Playland. It’s hard to say (when it will open), it depends on the construction process and how long it takes.” see ANOTHER NEW, page 2
VANDERHOOF INTERNATIONAL AIRSHOW SATURDAY AUGUST 6
Static Displays Food Trucks Beer Garden
VIP Area Dinner & Dance Camping Sites
Yellow Thunder • Go o EZ Aerobatics • Granley Airshows • Manfred Radius Airshows Gord Price Airshows • The Erickson Aircraft Collection • Baldwin & Wright Aviation Dan Reeves Airshows • GERONIMO! Skydiving Team Air-Ristocrat Balloon Rides • Jurassic Attack Monster Truck Rides
visit: vanderhoofairshow.ca
Scan for Tickets
$2.00
5
McDonald’s on the way to Fifth Avenue and Tabor Boulevard site
00200
China Sail is no more
58307
The China Sail restaurant was demolished earlier this month to make way for a new McDonald’s fast-food location at Fifth Avenue and Tabor Boulevard.
0
CITIZEN PHOTO BY TED CLARKE
Open burning will be prohibited throughout the Prince George Fire Centre area, starting today (July 28) at noon. The ban runs until noon on Oct. 15, or until the order is rescinded. Class 2 (up to two piles, no more than two metres high and three metres wide) and Class 3 (any controlled burns larger than a Class 2 fire) will be prohibited, along with the use of fireworks, sky lanterns, binary exploding targets, burn barrels or burn cages of any size, and air curtain burners. The prohibition doesn’t apply to campfires up to 50 cm high and 50 cm wide or cooking stoves that use gas, propane or charcoal briquettes. The Prince George Fire Centre area includes all of north-central and northeast B.C., from just south of Prince George to the Yukon border. “The current forecast for the PGFC’s jurisdiction area is calling for elevated temperatures through the weekend and into next week, causing increased fire danger,” a statement issued by the Prince George Fire Centre on Friday said. “This prohibition is being enacted to help reduce wildfire risk and protect public safety.” The prohibitions apply to all public and private lands, unless otherwise specified. People violating the fire ban can face fines up to $1,150 and may be required to pay an administrative penalty of up to $10,000 or, if convicted in court, may be fined up to $100,000 and/or sentenced to one year in jail. If the fire ban contravention caused on contributes to a wildfire, the person responsible may be ordered to pay all the costs of fighting the fire. To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, call 1-800-663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cell phone or use the BC Wildfire Service mobile app. The latest information on fire bans throughout the province can be found on the BC Wildfire Service website.