About Sustainable Energy for All
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to below 2° Celsius.
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s threeyear business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
SEforALL’s strategic and operational priorities include deepening our country-level impact, implementing a more holistic ‘offer’ of support to partner governments, as well as building our in-country presence such as in Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Indonesia and potentially other countries in Africa and Asia. To provide coordination and oversight of this country engagement and implementation work, SEforALL is creating two new positions of Regional Director, Africa and Regional Director, Asia.
Title: Regional Director, Asia
Location: South or Southeast Asia
Salary: Market Related
Purpose/Objective of the role:
The objective of this role is to support on-ground, high-level engagement with governments and other stakeholders in Asian countries, including providing management, oversight and coordination of SEforALL country managers and country-level workstreams and activities; and cultivating new opportunities for SEforALL to support countries in achieving SDG7 and a clean energy transition. To achieve these aims, the Director is expected to build a strong SEforALL presence across Asia through the development of collaborative relationships with key governments as well as with other partners and agencies working in Asia. The Regional Director, Asia will also be expected to help lay the groundwork for building political will in governments and to prioritize and implement actions to achieve universal energy access and advance a just and equitable clean energy transition.
The main duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
• Develop an over-arching regional strategy which reflects the value proposition of SEforALL, as well as specific opportunities for SEforALL to provide country-level support through its various programmes.
• Support coordination across the range of SEforALL activities and build support for implementation of key actions and recommendations in Asian countries.
• Manage SEforALL’s Asia-based country managers and ensure a comprehensive and effective offering of support to advance country SDG7 and energy transition ambitions.
• Oversee development of country strategies for SEforALL engagement and implementation of an appropriate bespoke package of programmes and activities to support country ambition towards achievement of SDG7 and clean energy transitions.
• Identify key public sector partners and stakeholders for SEforALL engagement and partnership, establishing focal points across various relevant authorities (e.g., energy, health, education and possibly agriculture).
• Identify key private sector and financial partners and stakeholders for SEforALL engagement and partnership, establishing focal points and proactively building partnerships that support increased levels of investment in Asia, initiating coordination platforms where appropriate.
• Stay abreast of market trends and policy developments related to sustainable energy in Asia, providing advice to the organization (including the CEO/SRSG) on strategic opportunities identified.
• Provide thought leadership and advice on overall narratives and talking points for CEO/ SRSG in external engagements and communications.
• Help facilitate country due diligence as needed in collaboration with the SEforALL’s UEF Programme Management team to support expansion of the UEF into new countries in Asia.
• Manage the Asia strategy’s overall workplan and budget as appropriate as well as actively project manage the effective and timely delivery of all Asia related outputs and activities under grants and programme funds, in partnership with SEforALL grant managers.
• Collaborate closely with SEforALL’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team and other teams to ensure SEforALL’s Asia strategy informs, supports and is aligned with SEforALL’s overall mission and strategy.
• Working with the MEL team, develop and track appropriate KPIs and develop timely and accurate reports for donors and other MEL activities.
• Collaborate closely with the Communications team to actively identify opportunities and craft internal and external communications to build awareness of SEforALL’s work and engagement in Asia and of overall progress of Asian countries towards achieving SDG7 and clean energy transitions.
• Undertake and support fundraising activities for regional work programmes.
• Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilise SEforALL systems and process to share the knowledge, e.g., Salesforce.
• Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Functional technical competencies specific to the role:
• In-depth knowledge of Asia’s power sector and energy access challenges.
• Significant experience with government engagement and relationship building across multiple stakeholders, including the private sector and the financial community.
• Experience in negotiating and managing complex, multistakeholder projects and partnerships.
• Ability to manage and drive regional and programmatic implementation under limited supervision.
• Strong leadership, people management and team working skills.
• Sound diplomatic judgment for managing different relationships at senior levels.
• Strong monitoring, evaluation and learning, and reporting skills.
• Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills, with strong preference for fluency in Mandarin as well.
• Experience in operating across multiple time zones and with distributed teams.
• Willingness to work in a multicultural and diverse organisation.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
Understands and is driven by the scale and urgency of the SDG7 challenge and by the vision and mission of SEforALL. Demonstrates high degree of motivation, passion and commitment to set, meet and exceed common goals. Has the ability to motivate others and has high persuasive power.
Values the differences that others have in terms of ideas, perspectives and culture and treats all individuals equitably and respectfully regardless of position or title, socio-economic status, gender, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity or paternity, racial or ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation, age, religion/belief, background, skills, attitudes, experiences or other factors. Embraces and encourages diversity in the workplace, in the work undertaken and with all those engaged in the work and adapts working behaviour to one appropriate to a culturally diverse environment. Is dedicated to ensuring equitable opportunities for all. Ensures everyone is empowered to speak up and that their perspectives are genuinely heard.
Strives to learn and develop constantly as well as to actively share knowledge. Values learning from others and actively seeks feedback and self-reflection. Seizes opportunities to update professional knowledge and keeps oneself updated to ensure continuous development.
Is driven by the desire to promote sustainable development and build a sustainable and liveable future for the next generations. Commits openly and concretely to social progress, environmental balance and economic growth. Is strongly motivated to play an active role in mobilizing efforts to end all forms of poverty, fight inequalities and tackle climate change and access to energy, while ensuring that no one is left behind.
Education and Experience
• Completed university degree plus relevant skills and professional training. Additional further qualifications preferable.
• Typically, long-term relevant work experience, usually at senior level.
• Extended broad expertise in own field.
• Cross-functional organizational knowledge to develop and promote innovative ideas.
• Comprehensive cross-functional knowledge of markets and industry in speciality areas.
• Extended expertise in people leadership/ management and organizational management.
• Advanced university degree in energy, business management, policy, economics, engineering, or a closely related field.
• Minimum of 15 years of hands-on experience in the energy sector in Asia.
How to Apply
All correspondence, at this stage, should be via Oxford HR. To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button on the job advert page, complete our online application form, and submit your CV and cover letter. Please provide a CV and cover letter in two different documents, which should be prepared before applying as they will be considered in the application process. The cover letter should be no more than two pages long and explain why you are interested in this post and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
The document should be saved in PDF in the following format: Your First Name-Your Last Name-Document Name-Date (mmyy) e.g., Pat-Jones-CV-022023-SEFORALL or Pat-JonesCoverLetter-022023-SEFORALL.
Closing Date: 26th March 2023
All candidates will receive an update regarding their application after the closing date. We advise candidates to add the role email to their safe senders list and regularly check their spam folder.
Equality and diversity are at the core of SEforAll’s values. Staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
If you have any queries on any aspect of the appointment process, need additional information, or would like to have an informal discussion, please email at seforall-rd-asia@ oxfordhr.com in the first instance.
About Oxford HR
Oxford HR operates globally - mainly within the international development and charity sectors. We carry out retained executive search mandates at board and senior management levels. We also offer human resource and organisational development consultancy.
Oxford HR has many years of experience in search as well as an extensive network of international development, social sector, corporate, public sector, and academic contacts from across the world. We carry out comprehensive and often international searches designed to meet the specific needs of our client.
OXFORD 46 Woodstock Road Oxford OX2 6HT United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1865 985 457
LONDON 5 Tanner Street Bermondsey
London SE1 3LE United Kingdom
+44 (0)20 7939 7451
Korte Schimmelstraat 12 1053 SZ
Amsterdam The Netherlands
+31 (0) 683 334 473
Workify Africa ABC Place Waiyaki way Nairobi Kenya
+254 (0) 797 233 217
SINGAPORE 7500A Beach Road #04-326
The Plaza 199591 Singapore
+65 9114 1439
www.oxfordhr.co.uk | Company No. 6456325