Harpers Ferry / Civil War Battlefields GUEST SERVICES GUIDE Harpers Ferry/Civil War Battlefields KOA is the perfect base camp for your historical adventure, local shopping and farmers markets accent historic town features and battlefields. The campground offers a great place to stay while you relax in the Shenandoah Valley, take a white water trip down the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers and visit Charles Town Races at Hollywood Casino.
343 Campground Rd. | Harpers Ferry, WV 25425 Phone: (304) 535-6895 | Toll-Free: (800) 562-9497 | Fax: (304) 535-6870
• RESERVATIONS AND DEPOSITS ARE REQUIRED. Prices subject to change.
• CANCELLATION POLICY – Cancellations must be made by 4:00 pm and 7 days ahead for cabins and lodges or 48 hours ahead for RV and tent sites. • CHECK-OUT TIME – Other campers with reservations make it necessary that you observe the check-out time as a matter of courtesy. Check-out time for cabins and campsites is 11:00 am. Please advise the office by 10:00 am if you wish to extend your stay (availability not guaranteed). All rents payable in advance. • CHILDREN – Parents are responsible for the actions and safety of children at all times. • FIRES – In fire pits only. Please extinguish before retiring for the night. Do not leave fires unattended. Do not move fire pits. • QUIET PLEASE – At 10:00 pm all guests are asked to turn off all outside TVs and radios, and to keep the noise to a minimum. • SEWER CONNECTIONS ARE REQUIRED. Rubber Donuts are available at the Store for purchase. • WILD ANIMALS – The Harpers Ferry/Civil War Battlefields KOA is frequented by various wild animals. Do not attempt to feed, touch or in any way approach these animals. As wild animals, they may become aggressively defensive. • PETS – Walk them in designated areas only. Please clean up after your pet. Pets must be kept on a leash at all times, and are not to be left unattended. Pets are not allowed in pool area, playgrounds or campground buildings with the exception of service animals. Please provide proof of vaccinations.
• SWIMMING POOL – No lifeguards are on duty. Children under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in pool area. Regular swimsuits or trunks, please. No swimming permitted in street clothes or cutoffs. Pool hours are 10:00 am to 10:00 pm.
• SPEED LIMIT – 10 mph. For safety reasons, violators will be asked to leave immediately. Two-wheeled motorized vehicles are not permitted for site-to-site transportation. All other vehicles must be operated by licensed drivers only. All West Virginia alcohol laws apply to all drivers. • GOLF CARTS AND ATVs – Golf carts and ATVs are welcome under the following conditions; they must be insured and operated safely. Golf carts may be operated in the campground by licensed drivers at least 16 years of age. Two-wheeled motorized vehicles are not permitted. All other motorized recreational vehicles may only be used to enter or exit the campground. • TRASH – Please help us keep the campground clean by picking up your paper, cans and bottles. Full garbage bags should be placed in a dumpster or garbage receptacle. Please do not leave bags of garbage unattended; wild animals and birds love unattended garbage. • GUESTS – All guests must register in the office. There is a charge for additional guests on your site with a maximum of 6 people per site overnight. Overnight guests should be paid for at check-in. Guests leaving before 10 pm may pay separately. Unregistered guests will be asked to leave. • CABINS – Smoking is prohibited in all cabins. Cooking is prohibited in cabins without kitchens. • CAR WASHING AND CAMPER WASHING – PROHIBITED. All car and camper washing is prohibited.
MANAGEMENT ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR THEFT, FIRE OR DAMAGE TO ANY CAR, RECREATIONAL VEHICLE OR PETS. Management withholds the right to cancel or deny service to anyone at any time for any reason. 2
RAFT•TUBE • KAYAK• ZIP ore
Only 3.5 miles away! & the Area’s Mother Approved Outfitter ed Most Experienc
KIDS 1 TUBE
America’s Propane Company RELIABLE
126 E. Third Ave • Ranson, WV
604 Valley Road, Knoxville, MD
1 *Kids are 12 & under. Discount is off adult rate. Shenandoah/Potomac mellow water tubing only.
RiverTrail.com • 301-834 -9950 4
Alfredo’s Mediterranean Café www.alfredosmedcafe.com
304-724-9992 132 W Washington St Charles Town, WV
COLLECTABLE TREASURES Indoor Flea Market
po t.c om
197 Halltown Rd. Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
e w D ww ain .Han nahsTr
304-724-5511 • 304-724-5515 Open Thursday, Friday & Monday 10-5 Saturday & Sunday 8-5
ic torric isto His in H d in ted ate LLo occa V W W , y, V errrry errss FFe pe arrp H Ha
Gotta’ a’ Q! Gett
nss on tio ati erra ne en Ge eG ee TTh hrre fs efs he Ch o off C G ING E RIN T A CATER oC Do eD W We y a ily D a 8 D il 0 -- 8 10 n1 en O pe Op
3 33 33 .13 5.1 35 .53 4.5 04 3 30 S t. S c a c ma t. tom oto Po 1P 01 2 20
Guest Services Guide |
• Fishing Kayak Rentals Your Smallmouth Bass • Fully Stocked Tackle Shop Pro Shop • Guided Smallmouth Bass Float Trips (304) 876.8030 • Just a quick walk through the path
Washington D.C./Capitol KOA
your stay with purchase of a Shuttle. EXPIRES Dec. 31, 2017 Not valid with any other offer except the KOA Value Kard. Some Activities Seasonal
• Pool with Lifeguard • 50 Amp, Pull-thru Sites • Free Wi-fi • Camping Cabins & Lodges • Washington D.C. Shuttle • And Much, Much More! 768 Cecil Ave. N., Millersville, MD 21108 www.capitolkoa.com • 410-923-2771 1-800-562-0248 • firstname.lastname@example.org
10...................... USA 18..................... AMC
11................ Weather 19.........Animal Planet
4...NBC 4 Washington
12....................... TBS 20..........................E!
5...FOX 5 Washington
6........................TNT 14.............. Discovery 22.....................Sci-Fi 7...ABC 7 Washington
15.................Nat Geo 23..... Comedy Central
16....................... TLC 24.................Lifetime
17............ ABC Family
Our Sincere Thanks... It is a pleasure serving you. Please let us know what we can do to make your stay more fun. We recommend that you make your next reservation at a KOA. We’d be more than happy to provide information about the KOA Kampground at your next destination — just ask. Enjoy your stay, and come back soon!
Happy Camping! Harpers Ferry/Civil War Battlefields KOA 4
Mi Degollado Mexican Restaurant Serving Breakfast & Lunch Delicious Homemade Foods
304-535-2327 8 country-cafe.com
Hours: 7:30am - 3pm ~ Tues.-Sun. 1715 W Washington St • Harpers Ferry WV
• Combination Dinners • Soups & Salads • Children’s Menu • Lunch Specials Open Daily Lunch & Dinner
92 Somerset Blvd. Charles Town, WV
201 E. German St. Shepherdstown, WV
(Beside Food Lion)
“We’ll Pick You Up” rent-a-car 304-724-6605
9 “Specializing in Seafood” Restaurant
www.anvilrestaurant.com Wednesday through Sunday Lunch & Dinner
1290 W Washington St Harpers Ferry
765 E. Washington St., Charles Town • www.enterprise.com 11 Tours “O’ Be JoyFull” Historical & Entertainment TM
Ghost Tours of Harpers Ferry
TM with Rick Garland - Living Historian, Musicologist, Tour Guide, Vocalist, Pianist
Open Year Round!
KOA Care Camps
Daily Historical Walking Tours of Harpers Ferry, WV Historical 19th Century Sing-A-Long Songs & Stories Concert Shows
Nightly Ghost Tours ~ Rated #1 Ghost Tour in America by Tripadvisor.com Historical Tours: Daily 10 am - 2 pm Historical Concerts: Daily at 2:30, 4, & 6 pm • Reservations Required Ghost Tours: Monday - Saturday 8 pm (Arrive by 7:45 pm) Reservations Required Monday - Thursday & October - March www.obejoyfull.com (732) 801-0381www.harpersferryghost.20m.com (304) 725-8019 PO Box 1148, Saint Peter’s Church, 100 Church Street, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425 Park at the Train Station on Potomac St.
For kids with cancer, the joys of childhood can sometimes seem out of reach. But at KOA Care Camps, these kids can enjoy a vacation while getting the specialized care they need. Learn more at KOA.com! The KOA Kampground Owners Association established the nonprofit Care Camps Trust in 1984.
Guest Services Guide |
HARPERS FERRY NATIO
Old Taylor Ln
McCOY HOUSE VACATION RENTAL
Campg round Road
POND Enjoy your stay!
EN TR AN CE
THE BARK ZONE Museum & Craft Room
92 93 94
Deluxe Tent Sites
Water & Elec
Water & Elec Deluxe
Trail to White Horse Tavern & River Riders
291 293 292 290
Volleyball No Swimming
Full Hookup Pull Thrus 50 AMP
Full Hookup Pull Thrus
Full Hookup 50 AMP
Premium Deluxe Cabin
1-Room Camping Cabin
012 MO 13 M O1 4
15 MO 16 MO MO17 MO18 MO19
2-Room Camping Cabin
Premium 2-Room Camping Cabin
Site Map Legend 2
34 33 32 31 30 29
Your Site Number:
C H G R
007 008 009
BOOTH HOUSE VACATION RENTAL
Night Patrol & After Hours 240-315-4597
EMERGENCY WIRELESS INTERNET FREE at this KOA!
TENT SITES ARE LOCATED TO RIGHT OF NUMBERS
ONAL HISTORICAL PARK
GRAPES & GRINDS
RV STORAGE COMMUNITY FIRE PIT
OFFICE & CAMP STORE
TRENCH 7 6 23 23 38 2
K131 K128 K129 K130 K232
287 2 76
196 195 194 193 192 191 190 A 1 18 90 9
139 8 18 172 154 138 187 171 153 137 186 170 152 136 129 169 185 151 168 184 150 135 167 183 149 166 134 182 165 133 181 164 147 132 180 146 131 179 145 163 162 144 178 161 143 177 160 142 176 159 175 158 141 174 157 156 173 155 140
POTOMAC PANCAKE HUT
BRPANC EA AK KF E AS T
WA L PA KING TH
INDOOR BASKETBALL COURT
Cutler Hall Game Room
KL KL KL KL KL KL 1 2 3 4 5 6
Guest Services Guide |
Area Attractions Harpers Ferry/Civil War Battlefields KOA is in a quiet wooded setting, surrounded by scenic wonders and recreational opportunities. It is the perfect location for the adventurous vacationer and the Civil War enthusiast! There is something fascinating at every turn . . .
HARPERS FERRY NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK This unique park lies in Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia with Harpers Ferry at its heart. Located next to KOA’s entrance, start at the Visitor Center on Cavalier Heights and make your way down to the Lower Town Historic District. See the Restoration Museum, a blacksmith shop, the John Brown Museum and much more! Step into the past as you wander the picturesque streets, see exhibits and walk the trails and battlefields. The park is open daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and there is an entrance fee. For Information, call 304-535-6029.
HISTORICAL WALKING TOURS, SONGS & STORIES “O’ Be JoyFull” Historical Tours & Entertainment offers highly acclaimed walking tours of Harpers Ferry, plus fun and educational piano Songs & Stories. The Tours last 3 to 4 hours, and are offered Daily. Tours start at Thomas Hall behind Saint Peters Church. Historical songs & stories shows are offered in Thomas Hall (behind Saint Peters Church). Park at the Train Station on Potomac Street. Call for times. Admission is charged. Reservations required. See our ad on page 5 for more details. 732-801-0381. Saint Peters Church – 100 Church Street.
This approximately 1 ¾ hour walking tour is the oldest ghost tour in America. Follow your costumed guide on a lantern-led tour and listen to tales of mysterious apparitions, as you walk streets laced with tragic history. Appropriate for all ages! Open all year round! Tours offered Mon-Sat. Must call for reservations Monday – Thursday and all nights October-March. Call for pricing. Meet at 7:45 pm at Saint Peters Church 100 Church Street, Tours begins promptly at 8:00 pm. Park at Potomac Street Train Station.
ANTIETAM NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD
Antietam is a must-see for anyone interested in Civil War history. This was the site of the bloodiest one-day battle in American history. The battle ended the Confederate Army’s first invasion into the North and led to Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation. Start at the Visitor Center, where you can see films, exhibits and the museum store. Join in a ranger-led program or take an audio tour of the battlefield. The park is open daily 8:00 am to 7:00 pm from Memorial Day to Labor Day and 8:30 am to 5:00 pm from Labor Day to Memorial Day. Admission is charged. Located 17 miles north of Harpers Ferry.
Grapes & Grinds Visit our on site wine & coffee house featuring specialty coffee, homemade fudge, jellies, sauces, fine cigars.
Daily wine tasting in season! |
Founded by George Washington’s youngest brother in 1786, Charles Town is a picturesque collection of homes, churches and public buildings. Six of the Washington family homes still stand and the Zion Episcopal Church Cemetery is the final resting place of 75 members of that family as well as soldiers from the American Revolution and the Civil War. Visit antique shops, restaurants and the Old Opera House, built in 1910. Walking tour maps are available. Located 5 miles east of Harpers Ferry.
CHESAPEAKE & OHIO CANAL
Built in 1836 to haul goods to market. The C & O Canal operated until 1924 when the railroads took over. It runs 184 miles from Cumberland to Georgetown and is now a park with a towpath popular with hikers and bicyclists and has six visitor centers along the route.
Although only four of the 2,160 miles are in West Virginia proper, you can hike it along the border with Virginia as it ascends the Blue Ridge Mountains. The trail enters West Virginia at Harpers Ferry by a footbridge over the Potomac River and offers unparalleled opportunities to explore, experience and connect with nature. Due to weather concerns, the best times to hike are from mid-April to midJune and during the months of September and October.
POTOMAC & SHENANDOAH RIVERS
Harpers Ferry is located at the confluence of two scenic rivers, the Potomac and the Shenandoah. Both offer a wealth of activities including whitewater rafting, canoeing and fishing. See ospreys, blue herons and bald eagles as well as beautiful views.
WASHINGTON HERITAGE TRAIL
Tour through history on the Washington Heritage Trail, 135 miles of meandering country roads that loop through the area, taking you around West Virginia’s scenic Eastern Panhandle. Drive through 18th century towns, past parks, cemeteries and several places where George Washington slept. Many towns offer self-guided tours: African-American History, Civil War Heritage Tour and more.
A Little History About Harpers Ferry JOHN BROWN AND THE HARPERS FERRY RAID On October 16, 1859, the abolitionist
John Brown led his men on a raid and seized the U.S. Armory and Arsenal in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. They captured the watchmen and cut the telegraph wires, but let a train through which called for help. John Brown’s plan was to gather up weapons and lead a slave revolt, but the slaves did not rise up and the townspeople trapped them in the armory. Colonel Robert E. Lee brought troops in on October 18 and brought the standoff to an end. A few escaped, many were killed and the rest were brought to trial with John Brown, who had been wounded. He was tried, convicted and hanged on December 2.
Come See Our Civil War Cannon Firing Sign up for a chance to fire the cannon at the Civil War Museum, Saturdays in season. Guest Services Guide |
Furniture for Home & Office Antiques & Collectibles Clothing & Electronics Serving Breakfast & Lunch
218 W. Washington Street Charles Town, WV 25414
Best Home Cooking in the Area Best Homemade NY Style Cheesecake 903 E. Washington St.
1300 W. Patrick St. (Rt. 340) Frederick, MD 21703 Charles Town, WV 25414 301-696-1300 304-728-8522 www.mountainviewdiner.com
10% OFF Entire Bill Mountain View Diner
When you show this guide. Not valid with other offers.
EXIT 53 EXIT 52B
E 5TH ST
DILL AVE W 4TH ST ROSEMONT AVE BENTZ ST
70 EXIT 29
N EAST ST
“Where You Can Find Almost Anything”
TO THURMONT TO HAGERSTOWN
TO WASHINGTON DC
340 TO BERRYVILLE & FRONT ROYAL, VA
TO LEESBURG, VA & PURCEVILLE, VA
MAPS NOT TO SCALE
VAL L EY
HARPERS FERRY NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK
IA IN G IR IA V IN G
R DO AH
MI BLAIR RD
BO LLV IL RD LE
S P R I N G S RD
OLD HWY 9
S FAIR BLVD FAX
N NA E E H V S RI
TO PURCEVILLE, VA
P TR YST RD
F E R RY R D
P E RS
HARPERS FERRY NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK
CHESTNUT HILL RD
CHARLES 3 TOWN 340 34
TO FREDERICK, MD
ABOUT 8 MILES TO SUMMIT POINT KART
N TO ING SH WA
S FERRY HARPERNTRANCE PARK E
E AC RN FU D R
SOMERSET BLVD SOMERSET SHOPPING CENTER
E3 VE DA E 2N AVE T 1 Y E S ERT
N OW LLT HA
AVE H E 4T AVE RD
RACE D R R ACK
GOLF COURSE DR
DTS ALLSTA RD HILL
VE TH A
CHARLES TOWN PLAZA
POST OFFICE 25425
N MAN REY
W4 SUMMIT POINT RD
24 RY NT OU RD DC OL CLUB
POTOMAC MARKET PLACE
C & O C AN AL
17 TO MARTINSBURG
ST ON RED EST S PR N MILD UEL ST SAM RGE EO T N G SS RLE CHA
© 2016 AGS-TXAD.COM • CROWLEY, TX 76036 • (877) 518-1989 • 9-16 JRN MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION • D1007 EJF 11908
Scan This Code for Good Deals!
THESE BUSINESSES ARE RECOMMENDED BY YOUR HOST. PLEASE LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE STAYING AT HARPERS FERRY / CIVIL WAR BATTLEFIELDS KOA.
Published on Dec 16, 2014