Skip to main content

9 june 2023

Page 1

Nagaland Post www.nagalandpost.com

Vol XXXIII No. 182

DIMAPUR, FRIDAY, JUNE 9, 2023 Pages 12 ` 5.00

Russia shells Ukrainian city inundated by dam collapse INTERNATIONAL, PAGE 9

WTC: Ind reach 151/5 at stumps on Day 2, trail Aus by 318 runs

FOLLOW US ON nagalandpostofficial

@Nagaland_Post

SPORTS, PAGE 12

states Centre approves relief package Food Safety Index: Nagaland 5th among smaller M’laya bans fish import as tests find formalin worth over `100 cr for Manipur

IMPHAL, JUN 8 (PTI): The Centre has approved a Rs 101.75 crore relief package for the displaced people in violence-hit Manipur following a directive of Union Home Minister Amit Shah, security advisor to the state government Kuldiep Singh said on Thursday. He also said the situation in Manipur remained peaceful and under control and there has been no incident of violence in the state in the last 48 hours. “To provide relief to the displaced people in Manipur, the Ministry of Home Affairs has approved Rs 101.75 crore relief package. During his recent Manipur visit, Union Home Minister Amit Shah had directed the state government to send a request to MHA for a relief package for displaced people,” Singh said. In the last 24 hours, 27 arms, 245 ammunition and 41 bombs were recovered from the Porompat police station jurisdiction of Manipur’s Imphal East district while one weapon and two

Security forces during a combing operation in Manipur on Thursday. (PRO Defence)

bombs were seized in the state’s Bishnupur district. A total of 896 arms, 11,763 ammunition and 200 bombs of different kinds have been recovered so far, the security advisor said. Curfew relaxed: Curfew relaxation for 12 hours has been announced in five valley districts and for 10 hours to 8 hours in neighbouring hill districts. There is no curfew in six other hill districts. Singh said movement

of essential items along National Highway-37 is ensured and 294 empty vehicles have left Imphal for Jiribam on Thursday. A total of 220 loaded vehicles have left Noney and 198 loaded tankers and trucks have left Jiribam. Combing operations continue: Further, combined teams of state and central forces have intensified combing operations in many parts of the state, the official said.

DIMAPUR, JUN 7 (NPN): Nagaland finished fifth among the eight smaller states in the 5th State Food Safety Index (SFSI), which evaluates the performance of states and union territories across six different aspects of food safety. Goa, Manipur and Sikkim secured first, second and third slots respectively. Among the larger states, Kerala secured the top ranking, followed by Punjab and Tamil Nadu. Jammu and Kashmir, Delhi and Chandigarh secured the first, second, and third ranks respectively among the union territories. As per the score sheet for small states, Nagaland scored a total of 29 marks out of 100. Goa, Manipur and Sikkim scored 51, 40 and 39.5 respectively. Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya unveiled the 5th SFSI at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi on Wednesday coinciding with

State ministers and MLAs are visiting different areas of Manipur and appealing for peace and normalcy by meeting the public and civil society organisations. Security forces are also organising meetings with civil society organisations, and village heads and appealing for peace and normalcy besides carrying out their area domination and NEW DELHI, JUN 8 patrolling duties, Singh (PTI): Fifty new medical said. colleges have been approved this year, adding 8,195 more undergraduate seats and taking the total number of such NPN: An interfaith meeting, comprising of 18 religious seats in the country past leaders belonging to different religions and faith traditions 1,07,658, official sources including Manipuri Vaishnaba Gouriya Sampradaya, Islam, said on Thursday. With the addition of Christians, Art of Living have appealed for calm and to put these 50 colleges (30 governan end to the violence that has crippled Manipur. In a press note, inter-faith convenor Deben Bachaspati- ment and 20 private), the mayum said that the ongoing violence has made all, cutting number of medical colleges across religious communities and faith traditions, helpless in the country now stands at and anguished. “It is this shared helplessness and anguish 702, they said. The 50 medical colthat has encouraged and brought all of us together to jointly leges have been approved appeal for ending this violence,” he said. The religious leaders appealed to all, on all sides, to calm in Telangana, Rajasthan, down and leave the violence behind to save humanity in their Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Nagahearts and minds. “This is to save and protect our present land, Maharashtra, Assam, and future generations from the terror of this violence that Karnataka, Gujarat, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, is mutually destroying humanity,” it said.

Train- ConImFood ing and sumer proveTesting TOCapac- Emment InfraTAL ity power- in SFSI struc(100) Buildment Rank ture (17 Marks) ing (8 (19) (10) Marks) Marks) Marks) Marks)

1

Arunachal Pradesh

4

14

1.5

3

1

2

25.5

2

Goa

7.5

9

8.5

5

13

8

51

3

Manipur

4

14

6.5

1.5

11

3

40

4

Meghalaya

6.5

4

8

4

6

2

30.5

5

Mizoram

3

9

0.5

1

1

0

14.5

6

Nagaland

4

5

7

3

8

2

29

7

Sikkim

8

11

2.5

5

10

3

39.5

8

Tripura

4

7

7

2.5

4

0

24.5

World Food Safety Day. Recognizing the achievements of various states and union territories, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya felicitated the winners based on their rankings for the year 2022-23. Launched in 201819, the SFSI aims to foster healthy competition and catalyze positive change in the food safety ecosystem throughout the country, ultimately ensuring the provision of safe and wholesome food to all residents. Dr. Mandaviya announced that 25 lakh food business operators will be

trained by FSSAI in the next 3 years to ensure that food quality standards are met across the country. He also announced the setting up of 100 Food Streets across the country which meet the quality benchmark for food safety, hygiene, and nutrition. “Food quality is a part of wellness”, he remarked. Based on the performance of States/ UTs in the last financial year, every year Food Safety and Standards Authority of India evaluates the performance of States/ UTs on food safety parameters decided by FSSAI.

SHILLONG, JUN 8 (PTI): Meghalaya government on Thursday issued an order banning sale of fish brought in from outside the state for a period of 15 days after sample test of river water fishes shipments showed presence of formalin, an official said. “Storage, distribution or sale of imported fresh fish or crustaceans brought from outside the state is hereby prohibited for a period of 15 days in the interest of public health or till corrective measures are taken with effect from the date of issue of this notification,” FSSAI commissioner RM Kurbah said in an order. Non-Compliance to this Notification will attract imprisonment upto 7 years and a fine of up to Rs Ten Lakh as per law, he said. At least 30 of 42 samples collected from all districts had tested positive for formalin.

50 new med colleges including Nagaland approved this year

Bomb hurled at BJP MLA’s residence Interfaith meet calls for ending violence

Correspondent Adds: Amid the tension in Manipur, miscreants lobbed a powerful bomb at the gate of the residence of a ruling BJP MLA here on Thursday night. No casualty was reported in the incident. According to reports, the bomb was allegedly hurled by miscreants around 8.20 p.m. at the residence of BJP MLA Soraisam Kebi Devi at Ningthemcha Karong under Singjamei police station in Imphal West district. The impact of the bomb however damaged parts of the iron gate of the MLA. The incident took place at a time when night curfew was in force in Imphal West district like along with other valley districts following the chain of violence since May 3 evening. In the aftermath of the bomb explosion, top officials of Manipur Police and security forces rushed to the spot and took stock of the situation.

Human Resources and CompliSl. ance Small States InstituNo (28 tional Marks) Data (18 Marks)

West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, the sources said. The recognition of 38 medical colleges across the country was withdrawn in the last two-and-a-halfmonths during inspections by the Under-Graduate Medical Education Board of the National Medical Commission (NMC) for allegedly not following the prescribed standards, the sources said. Further, show-cause notices have been issued to 102 medical colleges, they added. Of the 38 medical colleges, 24 have appealed to the NMC while six have now approached the health minister. The colleges that

have lost recognition are allowed to appeal once with the NMC and then with the health ministry after rectifying the deficiencies and inadequacies. The sources said the colleges were not found to be complying with the set norms and several lapses related to CCTV cameras, Aadhaar-linked biometric attendance procedures and faculty rolls were noticed during the inspections carried out by the UG board of the commission. According to government data, the number of medical colleges in the country has increased significantly since 2014. There has

been a 69% increase in the number of medical colleges, from 387 before 2014 to 654 as of now, Union Minister of State for Health Bharati Pravin Pawar told the Rajya Sabha in February. Further, there was a 94% increase in the number of MBBS seats, from 51,348 before 2014 to 99,763 as of now, and a 107% increase in the number of post-graduate seats, from 31,185 before 2014 to 64,559 as of now. To boost the number of doctors in the country, the government has increased the number of medical colleges and subsequently, that of MBBS seats, Pawar had said.

National Exit Test H&FW issues advisory on food, water borne diseases Rs 2,000 notes worth Rs 1.80L crore to be held in 2024 DIMAPUR, JUN 8 (NPN): ly washed daily. One should also avoid eating stale food water sources and do not

NEW DELHI, JUN 8 (PTI): National Exit Test (NExt) will be held next year and is likely to be conducted by AIIMS, official sources said Thursday. According to National Medical Commission (NMC) Act, NExT will serve as a common qualifying final year MBBS exam, a licentiate exam to practice modern medicine and for merit-based admission to PG courses and a screening exam for foreign medical graduates. Last year, government invoked the provisions of NMC Act by which the time limit for conducting NExT exam for final year MBBS was extended till Sept 2024. Under NMC Act, NMC has to conduct NExT as specified by regulations within three years of it coming into force.

This is it!

“They seem to be too comfortable with the new office. I don’t see any new enthusiasm for work.” K Y M C

With the onset of monsoon, which brings various viral and bacterial infections such as water-borne diseases, the state health & family welfare department issued advisory for public awareness. H&FW through IEC bureau recommended boiling water before consumption by bringing it to a rolling boil for at least one minute. It recommended chlorinate water using tablets (1 tablet, 0.5 mgs) dissolved in 20 L of water and use after 30 minutes (contact time). If the temperature of the water is low, then increase the contact time. Drinking water containers must be thorough-

avoid adding clean and fresh water to stale or unwashed containers, as there is grave risk of water contamination while doing so. Wash hands with soap and water before eating food and after using the washroom. The contact period between the soap and water should be 15-20 seconds, which is an important component of personal hygiene in preventing water borne diseases. Wash fruits and vegetables with clean water, and avoid consuming raw or undercooked seafood or other food items that may have been exposed to contaminated water. One should

and other eatables left in the open. Food and drinking water should never be kept uncovered. Avoid swallowing pool or recreational water; when swimming in pools, lakes or recreational water areas, avoid swallowing the water as it may contain harmful pathogens. Maintain proper sanitation by avoiding disposing of chemicals, medications or other harmful substances down the drain or toilet, as they can contaminate water source. Do not throw garbage near the water source. Also, avoid open defecation and urination in order to prevent contamination of

allow surface water to get into the well. H&FW has suggested avoiding water from ponds, lakes, streams and canals. However, if one had to depend on those sources, purify the water by using bleaching powder or by boiling. On experiencing symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever or any other signs of illness after consuming water or being exposed to potentially contaminated water sources, one should seek medical attention. One can also inform health care provider about any recent water related activities and potential exposure.

have come back in banks so far: RBI

MUMBAI, JUN 8 (PTI): Reserve Bank Governor Shaktikanta Das on Thursday said about 50 per cent of Rs 2,000 notes in circulation has come back in the banking system since the RBI announced withdrawal of the highest denomination currency last month. As on March 31, 2023, he said, Rs 2,000 notes worth Rs 3.62 lakh crore were in circulation. “So far, Rs 1.80 lakh crore have come back after the announcement,” he said during an interaction with media after releasing the

bi-monthly monetary policy here. About 85 per cent of Rs 2,000 notes are coming as deposits in bank accounts and this is in line with expectation, he said. On May 19, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced the withdrawal of Rs 2,000 denomination banknotes as part of its currency management and permitted the exchange of such notes (up to Rs 20,000 in one go) from May 23 onwards. The exchange or deposit window is available till September 30, 2023.

The gover nor also urged the public not to panic for exchange or deposit of Rs 2,000 notes but should avoid last minute rush. He also made it clear that RBI is not thinking of withdrawing Rs 500 notes, or even re-introducing notes in the Rs 1,000 denomination, and requested the public not to speculate on this. Last month, the RBI governor had said the majority of the withdrawn Rs 2,000 currency notes are expected to be returned to the banking system by the September 30 deadline.

‘Brain tumour cases rising ‘steadily’ in India, 20% are children’ IMD declares monsoon onset NEW DELHI, JUN 8 (IANS): Brain tumour cases are rising ‘steadily’ in India, and children account for 20 per cent of the increasing cases, say doctors here on the occasion of World Brain Tumour Day on Thursday. World Brain Tumour Day is observed on June 8 every year to increase awareness and educate the public about brain tumours. In 2020, brain tumour was ranked as the 10th most common kind of tumour among Indians. The International Association of Cancer Registries (IARC) reported that there are over 28,000 cases of brain tumours reported in India each year

and more than 24,000 people reportedly die due to brain tumours annually. “The occurrence of brain tumours in India is steadily rising. More and more cases of brain tumours are reported each year in our country among people

of varied age groups. Every year 40,000 to 50,000 people are diagnosed with brain tumours, out of which 20 per cent are children,” Aditya Gupta, Director, Neurosurgery and Cyberknife Centre, Artemis Hospital, told IANS. “India is witnessing

an increasing trend of central nervous system tumours. The prevalence ranges from 5 to 10 per 1,00,000 population. Very few people know that out of these, only two per cent of tumours turn cancerous,” added Ravindra Srivastava, Director Neurosurgery, Primus Hospital. The doctors said it’s critical to recognise the early warning signals since symptoms like unexplained nausea, persistent headaches, seizures, visual problems and cognitive changes shouldn’t be disregarded. According to Shashi Shekhar Singh, Neurosurgery, Ujala Cygnus Group of Hospitals, the risk factors for

NEW DELHI, JUN 8 (PTI): The southwest monsoon hit India on Thursday with its onset over Kerala, a week later than normal, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) announced. Meteorologists earlier said Cyclone ‘Biparjoy’ had been impacting the intensity of the monsoon and that its onset over Kerala would be “mild”. In a statement, IMD said the southwest monsoon has set in over Kerala today, June 8. “The monsoon has advanced into remaining parts of south Arabian Sea and some parts of central Arabian Sea, entire Lakshadweep area, most parts of Kerala, most parts of (Cont’d on p-8) south Tamil Nadu, remain-

brain tumours vary depending on the type of tumour. “While the exact causes of brain tumours are often unknown, the factors associated with an increased risk of developing a brain tumour include age: in adults, gliomas are more common, while medulloblastomas are more prevalent in children; genetic conditions and family history; exposure to ionising radiation, such as radiation therapy for cancers or exposure to nuclear accidents; and gender: meningiomas are more common in females, while gliomas are slightly more common in males,” Singh told IANS.

ing parts of Comorin area, Gulf of Mannar and some more parts of southwest, central and northeast Bay of Bengal today,” it added. The southwest monsoon normally sets in over Kerala on June 1 with a standard deviation of about seven days. In mid-May, the IMD said the monsoon might arrive in Kerala by June 4. Skymet had predicted the monsoon onset over Kerala on June 7, with an error margin of three days. India is expected to get normal rainfall during the southwest monsoon season despite the evolving El Nino conditions, the IMD had earlier said. K Y M C


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
9 june 2023 by Nagaland Post - Issuu