CONTENTS 1. Next Step Calendar 2. Lionet & University Email 3. Blackboard & Degree Works 4. Accepting Financial Aid 5. Housing 7. Enrollment 9. Locate your Advisor 10. Departmental Contact Sheet 11. On-Campus Resources
NEXT? WHAT HAPPENS
Apply for Foundation Scholarships by December 15th
Submit FAFSA to MSSU by February 1st
APRIL - JULY
Apply for housing starting March 1st
Register and Attend a Southern Welcome Day and enroll in classes
IMPORTANT NEXT STEP
Make sure you are able to login to your account!
How to access:
• Go to LIONET.mssu.edu.
• Go to outlook.com/mymail.mssu.edu
• Use your student login found in your Acceptance letter along with your pin number found in your IT letter in order to login
• Use your student email address found in your Acceptance letter along with your pin number found in your IT letter in order to login
This is your online student portal and contains your personal information along with university updates and calendars. It also includes important information and documents such as: the campus housing form, financial aid information, your schedule and bill, posted grades, and transcript history.
This is your MSSU email address. All school information will be communicated through your school email from the moment you are accepted to the university. This should be checked regularly to ensure you aren’t missing important information.
Having trouble? Call our Information Technology (IT) Help Desk with issues: 417-659-4444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Get familiar with the layout and where your important tabs are located • C A M P U S H O U S I N G on the left-hand side
Request final, official transcripts
Residence Halls are Open Thursday before classes begin
Attend Lion Pride Weekend 1
• F I N A N C I A L A I D on the left-hand side • S C H E D U L E A N D B I L L located under Student tab at the top • B O O K L I S T found under Student Book List on the left-hand side • Access O P E N C L A S S L I S T under Student tab toward the bottom
This is your course management tool. It should be viewed on a regular basis once classes start. Blackboard contains virtual classrooms of your enrolled courses, class announcements, and your current grades. How to access:
• Go to mssu.blackboard.com • Select student and then use your student login found in your Acceptance letter along with your pin number found in your IT letter in order to login • Blackboard classrooms will be available the week classes begin. Having trouble logging in? Contact our IT Help Desk: 417-659-4444 or BlackboardHelp@mssu.edu *Blackboard questions are answered (once logged in) under courses, labeled “Blackboard Student Information”
Degree Works is an online version of a degree requirements check sheet. It provides a review of past, current, and planned coursework as well as information about completed and outstanding requirements. Use this tool to help plan your upcoming semester’s schedule or view how your transfer credits were evaluated. To Access: • Login to Lionet • Scroll down and click on D E G R E E E VA L U AT I O N S (Degree Works) link on the left
You can apply for financial aid as early as October 1st on fafsa. ed.gov using the school code 002488. To get priority grants and scholarships, fill out the information before February 1st.
Keep applying for outside scholarships and have them sent to MSSU Bursar’s Office to be stacked with your institutional scholarships.
If you plan to take summer courses, you should contact Financial Aid at 417-625-9325. Additional information is needed to apply aid to the summer semester.
HOW TO ACCEPT FINANCIAL AID
*No additional login needed
• On Lionet, go to the Student Quick Links section and click on Financial Aid
*View instructions for Degree Works Audit at mssu.edu/registrar under degree audit tab
• Click on AWA R D and then AWA R D F O R A I D Y E A R
*Courses were accepted on the basis of how well they “match” MSSU course offerings. Courses labeled as “ELEC” mean we do not offer that course or the course completed is not equivalent to what we offer. You may submit a petition form through your advisor if you wish to contest this decision.
• Go to the T E R M S A N D C O N D I T I O N S tab at the top; read and accept terms
*Only courses from regionally accredited colleges or universities are accepted for transfer credit. Others may be petitioned for consideration.
FA F S A
• Use the drop-down menu to select the year needed
• Click on AC C E P T AWA R D O F F E R tab; you will be able to accept, decline or modify your award • Scholarship notifications will be mailed or emailed and contain information and instructions on how to accept and apply your award * Detailed steps available online at mssu.edu/student-affairs/financial-aid/how-accept-aid.php
FINANCIAL AID OFFICE Phone: 417-625-9325 Fax: 417-659-4474 FinAid@mssu.edu mssu.edu/financial-aid
START A PAYMENT PLAN WITH OUR BURSAR’S OFFICE Phone: 417-625-9381 or 417-625-9728 Email: email@example.com mssu.edu/bursar
Share a room with a friend
Contain two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a living room to share with three additional students
A P P LY F O R R E S I D E N C E H O U S I N G Apply on LIONET starting March 1st How To Apply:
1. Login to your lionet account
2. Under the Campus Housing tab, complete the housing application and personal information form 3. Turn in your $150 housing deposit
• To request to room with a friend, be sure each person puts one another’s names on the application before submitting. Submitting applications around the same time will improve the likelihood of rooming together
4. Once the application and deposit are both submitted, you will be put on the list for your top preferences
• Complete the application early to improve your chances of receiving your preferred residence hall • Move in date is the Thursday before class begins. You’ll receive additional information once rooms have been assigned residencelife.mssu.edu
Enjoy a two bedroom, one bathroom space with three other students
Benefit from having your own bedroom and bathroom, while sharing a full kitchen and living room with three others
ROOM + WEEKLY MEAL PLAN
HOUSING COSTS 2019 - 2020 PER SEMESTER
Option A 23 Meals
Option B 15 Meals
Option C 10 Meals
Option D 5 Meals
Due to a change in Missouri State Law in 2015, you will NOT be permitted to move into the residence halls without proof of your meningitis vaccination. You must provide a copy of your proof of vaccination when you check in. Vaccination waivers are no longer valid.
Estimated annual cost: (Traditional, Option A)
H O W T O E N R O L L AT MISSOURI SOUTHERN
Start by registering for a Southern Welcome day! Southern Welcome is our orientation and enrollment day on campus. Southern Welcome will get you fully prepared for classes! • Enroll with an advisor within your major • Receive your student ID and parking permit • Take a tour around campus and dorm side, if you’d like • Get valuable information about financial aid and what payment options are available • Stock up on the latest MSSU gear in our bookstore Registration is available early spring at mssu.edu/southern-welcome. Be on the lookout for additional information in the mail. Contact First-Year Experience with any questions at:
417-625-9731, FYE@mssu.edu or mssu.edu/southern-welcome
B E P R E PA R E D • Print off your book list on LIONET. Textbooks are available to rent downstairs of Billingsly Student Center and available for purchase on the 2nd floor of Billingsly Student Center. • Although computers are available all over campus, having a personal device may be preferred. All campus buildings have wifi. • Permission to use personal computers in class is up to each individual professor.
LION PRIDE WEEKEND Attend our welcoming event the Sunday before classes in the fall! The evening is filled with fun activities, food and drinks, and a great opportunity to meet other students on campus! *Postcards are mailed detailing events closer to the start of the semester.
DON’T FORGET FRESHMEN:
Welcome TO SOUTHERN! 7
Please submit your final, official transcripts after graduation to MSSU Admissions. Also, submit any official college transcripts where you received dual credit. Any AP test scores or IB credit should be requested online and submitted to MSSU Admissions, 3950 E Newman Rd., Joplin, Mo. 64801 or by fax to 417-659-4429. TRANSFERS:
Please submit all final, official transcripts from each college or university you have attended along with any transcripts where dual credit was received.
A C A D E M I C D E PA R T M E N T C O N TA C T S D E PA R T M E N T
L O C AT E Y O U R A D V I S O R
If you are unable to attend a Southern Welcome day, please use the contact sheet on the next page to schedule an enrollment time with the department of your major. You may also check on LIONET to see who your assigned advisor is by following these steps: • Log in to LIONET
• Under Quick Links, select Degree Evaluation (Degree Works) • Your advisor is listed on the opening page
Biology/Chemical/Environmental Health /Math/Physical Sciences
Computer Information Science
Criminal Justice Administration
English & Philosophy
Radiologic Technology/Respiratory Therapy/Paramedic-EMT
Enrollment eligibility dates vary based on the number of college credits you have received. To view dates, visit: mssu.edu.
ON-CAMPUS RESOURCES AVAILABLE STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER • Receive free tutoring services • Classes offered to improve academic abilities • On-Campus job opportunities
417-659-3725 firstname.lastname@example.org mssu.edu/student-success-center
• Student Disability Coordinator on staff
ADVISING, COUNSELING, AND TESTING SERVICES (ACTS) • Degree advising • Free counseling
417-625-9324 email@example.com mssu.edu/acts
• Testing services available such as Residual ACT and CLEP
CAREER SERVICES • Mock interviews • Cover letter review • Resume assistance • Dress for Success event • MSSU Career Cram event
*H I R E A L I O N gives current and previous students access to our job board. Find a job on-campus or offcampus through this site! Gain access two weeks after enrollment in first semester! mssu.edu/student-affairs/careerservices/student-hire-a-lion.php
417-625-9343 firstname.lastname@example.org mssu.edu/student-affairs/careerservices
G E T I N V O LV E D O N C E Y O U ’ R E H E R E ! • Join one or more of our 70+ student organizations on campus
• Attend fun, weekly campus activities such as picnics, movies, and entertainers
• Challenge yourself physically by competing in one of our many intramural sports • Cheer on your favorite MSSU Lions team by attending all home games for free • Enjoy our 71,000 square foot recreation center, open to all MSSU students
3950 E NEWMAN RD. JOPLIN, MO 64801
ADMISSIONS OFFICE 417-625-9378 | MSSU.edu/admissions | email@example.com