Introduction to Video Production Thursday 2nd and Thursday 9th August 2012, 6pm-9pm at the Secret Coffee Club, INSIGHT House, Pearson St, Brierley Hill, DY5 3BL (between Asda and the High Street) Pre-session information pack 1. Purpose and objectives of session 2. What to expect 3. Session outline 4.Your trainer 5. Training resources 6. Participant guidelines 7. A map to the venue
1. Purpose and objectives of this training session Overall purpose of training session: for you to develop knowledge and skills in basic videography. The session objectives are for you to develop your basic knowledge of: • composition • recording (what to take care of) • conducting interviews • editing • sharing your video
2. What to expect • • • • • •
We will give you a warm welcome on arrival. Drinks and snacks will be available to purchase from the coffee shop throughout the evening. There are likely to be around 10 people taking part in this session. The session format is relaxed and informal with a mix of presentations and hands-on practice. There will be opportunities to ask questions and talk about your experiences, issues etc. relating to making and sharing video content You will be given useful information to get you started in videography.
3. Session outline (2 August session) 5.45pm 6.00pm 6.30pm 8.00pm 9.00pm
Arrivals Welcome and introductions Getting started - presentation and discussion Hands-on practice and preparing for session 2 Close
Introduction to Video Production: pre-session information
4. Your trainer Franzi Baehrle from VisualBrum will deliver the sessions. Franzi is studying the MA in Online Journalism at Birmingham City University. Before that she finished a two-years trainee as a video journalist at a regional TV station in Germany. She is very passionate about videography and couldn't live without her camera. You can find out more about Franzi here: www.franziskabaehrle.com and about Visual Brum here: www.facebook.com/visualbrum On Twitter Franzi is @franzibaehrle and the project is @visualbrum.
5. Training resources If you have a phone or camera that can make video recordings, please bring it with you. We may be able to lend equipment to participants who don’t have any. There is free wifi at the Secret Coffee Club.
6. Sharing pictures We will be taking photos (and perhaps some video) of participants during the training session. Franzi will share them on the VisualBrum Facebook page and Dudley CVS staff will share them on Twitter and websites they host. Just let us know if you don’t want to star on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube, you don’t have to. But if you would like to – fantastic, we can help to spread the word about what we’re doing.
7. Participant Guidelines Different starting points Please appreciate there will be different levels of experience in the room. For some participants this session may be a refresher or to consolidate existing knowledge, for others it will be something new. Take the opportunity to support and learn from each other. Supporting everyone to participate We ask everyone to respect the rights of others and to participate in the event as equals. This means not interrupting others when they are speaking and not using your status to make others feel less important. Everyone is equally important and our differences need to be valued. We want everyone to feel comfortable about participating in whatever way they feel able.
Introduction to Video Production: pre-session information Language Sometimes people use words or phrases which have special meanings and which are not understood by all people. This jargon is almost unavoidable because we all use it but we may forget that others may not understand. If you do not understand it is not your fault and you should not feel stupid if you need someone to explain what is meant. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question! If you do not understand something please say so. Please avoid using language which could be construed as racist, sexist, or discriminates or is offensive to people with disabilities. If you feel that language is offensive you have the right to say so. We would expect that person to change their behaviour. If you are nervous about saying something in public, you could approach the person privately, or ask for help from the trainer or a member of Dudley CVSstaff. Respect and behaviour Participants must not behave in ways which are unreasonable, unwelcome, and offensive to others or which exclude other participants. Any behaviour which creates an intimidating, hostile or humiliating environment is unacceptable. If you are treated in any way that you find offensive and wish to discuss this we will make every effort to resolve the issue with you. Confidentiality Sometimes when working in smaller groups and workshops people feel they want to draw on their own experience, but may not want people outside the group to know the details they are sharing. We can’t guarantee that people you are working with will keep what you say confidential, so you must take responsibility for what you choose to disclose.
8. A map to the venue Both sessions will take place at the Secret Coffee Club, which is at INSIGHT House, Pearson Street, Brierley Hill, DY5 3BL, marked ‘A’ on the map overleaf. Pearson Street is the first turning on the left off Brierley Hill High Street if you are coming from Dudley direction. Once on Pearson Street INSIGHT House is on the right with a large car park. Free parking: The INSIGHT House car park is adjacent to Asda's car park but don't be tempted to park at Asda as you can only stay there for 2 hours The entrance to the Coffee Shop is to the right of the main entrance and has ‘shhh...’ over the door. (We’re not sure if the ramp to the coffee shop will be completed by 2 August, if not, please enter by the main entrance to INSIGHT House.) We hope that in return for us using the coffee shop you will be willing to purchase some of their lovely drinks.
Introduction to Video Production: pre-session information