L A Q U I NTA
TIENLY N JACOBSON T HE A DV EN T U R ESEEK ER
IT’S A DATE
OUR FAVORITE PLACES FOR THE BEST DATE NIGHT EVER
LA QUINTA IS TEEMING WITH GREAT LOCAL SEAFOOD SPOTS
STAY A WHILE
WE’VE FOUND THE BEST LA QUINTA ACTIVITIES FOR THE WHOLE SQUAD
THE LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB WANTS YOU TO SEE WHAT LIVING THE GOOD LIFE IS ALL ABOUT
LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB
So Fresh & So Clean START OFF 2019 WITH A FIVE-DAY CLEANSE FROM FRESH JUICE BAR WRITTEN BY: MARISA THRASHER
N AT I V E K N OW L EDG E • Can’t have gluten? Not a problem at Fresh Juice Bar! You can ask for gluten-free granola toppings, and they can make any drink on the menu gluten-free. T I M E C RU NC H • Short on time? Call in your order ahead so you can make it back to the office in time for your meeting. H E A LT H F I END • Fresh Juice Bar also offers a handful of pitaya and acai bowls which are not only filling, but tasty enough to trick your tastebuds into thinking you’re having dessert for breakfast.
It’s time to hit the reset button from the overindulgent holiday season! Fresh Juice Bar offers an incredible five-day cleanse and four convenient locations in Palm Desert, Palm Springs, La Quinta and Rancho Mirage.
If you’re looking for a way to replenish and pack your system with loads of nutrients, all while receiving benefits like better-looking skin and a clearer mind, then this cleanse is the perfect way to ring in the New Year. Once you’ve decided you’re in it for the long haul, simply call the Fresh Juice Bar location of your choice the day before you wish to start your cleanse. Let them know of any
allergies or preferences and prepay for your order. For the following five days of your cleanse, you will pick up your fresh six pack of juices, created just for you, and a bonus green tea packet, which you can use to kick-start your day. Worried about the sugar levels or feeling hungry throughout the cleanse? Well, lucky for you, the juices offered at Fresh Juice Bar are low in sugar, high in veggies and chockfull of nutrients to satiate your belly. And, of course, everything is organic. Once you’ve had your green tea, you’ll start off with your first green juice of the day—a delicious combo of kale, spinach, parsley, cabbage, lemon, apple and celery. Every two hours, you’ll enjoy another 16-ounce juice.
Your kit also comes with a root-based juice, which is equally as tasty and includes ingredients like beets, ginger, spinach, parsley, lemon, apple and celery. Finish off with a nut milk that’s packed with protein, cinnamon and vanilla bean to make the perfect ending to your day. Still skeptical about doing the full five days? If you want to test it out, you can opt for the one-day cleanse instead. With benefits like increasing your energy, detoxing your system, feeling rejuvenated and even gaining a natural glow, who wouldn’t want to give this cleanse a try? Do yourself a favor and treat your body right to set the tone for 2019.
FRESH JUICE BAR 46480 Washington St, Ste 1 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.4666 www.freshjuicebar.com
It’s a Date OUR FAVORITE PLACES FOR THE BEST DATE NIGHT EVER WRITTEN BY: ASHLEE POLAREK PHOTOGRAPHED BY: KAMBRIA FISCHER
La Quinta is perfect for date night. With golf courses, hiking trails and public art, it is truly the “Gem of the Desert.” However, your perfect date has to include food, and luckily La Quinta is home to a thriving food scene. So dress to the nines, because these are some of the best date night restaurants around town.
MUST ORDER: FRIED CHICKEN BISCUITS AND GRAVY • For a date who loves home cooking try the Fried Chicken Biscuits and Gravy from Fortun’s Kitchen + Bar. The chefs start with homemade buttermilk biscuits and top them with country fried chicken, a creamy sausage gravy and a perfectly fried egg. FORTUN'S KITCHEN + BAR 78085 Avenida La Fonda La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.8744 www.fortunskitchen.com
MUST ORDER: FAJITAS • The fajitas at Casa Mendoza hit the table piping hot and sizzling away. Tomatoes, peppers and onions are served with guacamole, a dollop of sour cream and your choice of protein. Try one of their margaritas, made with Casa Mendoza’s homemade mix! CASA MENDOZA
F ROM HOME • The classic Mexican dishes made at Chúla are all inspired by the owner's familymade cuisine.
Photoshoot Location: FORTUN'S KITCHEN + BAR 78085 Avenida La Fonda La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.8744 www.fortunskitchen.com
78110 Calle Estado La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.1463 www.casamendozamexicangrillandbar.weebly.com
MUST ORDER: FISH TACOS • At Chúla food is locally-sourced, farm-totable and scratch-made deliciousness. For a dish that's truly delectable try the fish tacos. Served on homemade tortillas topped with pickled cabbage, garlic crema, jalapeño jam and an exquisite pineapple salsa, these tacos are perfect for Taco Tuesday. CHÚLA ARTISAN EATERY 47150 Washington St, Ste B La Quinta, CA 92253 760.227.6616 www.chulaeatery.com
MUST ORDER: TASMANIAN OCEAN TROUT • The view is just an added bonus when it comes to meals at Mélange, located in The Chateau at Lake La
Quinta. Wow your date as you enjoy the Coho Salmon, served with potato mousse and manila clams. When it’s chillier, ask to be seated on the patio by the fire pits! MÉLANGE 78120 Caleo Bay Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.7332 thechateaulakelaquinta.com
MUST ORDER: ERNIE’S SIGNATURE KOBE BURGER • Inside the Tournament Clubhouse at Waldorf Astoria’s La Quinta Resort & Club, you’ll find the delicious, Signature Kobe Burger. Served on a ciabatta bun and topped with tomato marmalade and arugula, this killer Kobe burger is a must. ERNIE’S BAR & GRILL 56-150 PGA Blvd La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.7125 www.laquintaresort.com/ dining/ernies
ROO M W ITH A V IE W • At Ernie’s at La Quinta Resort & Club you can cozy up to their fire pits with great views of the 9th and 18th holes of the Nicklaus Tournament Course.
Sashimi Rollin’ LA QUINTA IS TEEMING WITH GREAT LOCAL SEAFOOD SPOTS WRITTEN BY: NADINE BLANCO PHOTOGRAPHED BY: GABRIELLA MERRILL
When you love seafood, but live in the desert, the road to delicious satisfaction seems miles away. But did you know that La Quinta houses fresh, quality fish? The next time your mouth is watering for seafood and sushi, give Pokehana or Misaki Sushi a try!
MUST ORDER: ALBACORE PAHALA • Poke bowls have been a quiet but rampant food trend the past several years, and now you can make your own at Pokehana. Customize your poke bowl with your favorite fish and toppings, or try one of their housecrafted creations like the Albacore Pahala. Fresh albacore, onion, cucumber, red cabbage, edamame, avocado, mango and other house-made toppings converge on your choice of rice or mixed greens for a refreshing flavor sensation like no other!
MUST ORDER: WOW ROLL • If sushi is more how you roll—pun intended—Misaki Sushi & Grill is a La Quinta favorite. They have a wide selection of handmade traditional cut rolls, hand rolls and sashimi. You’ll especially want to indulge in their Misaki special rolls. The Wow Roll is a hit—deepfried soft-shell crab, crab meat, avocado, gobo and cucumber gets topped with spicy scallop. “Wow” indeed!
Native Knowledge: In a rush during your lunch break? You can order online to speed up the process so you can stay on track.
Native Knowledge: The spot is intimate and popular, and they do not accept reservations, so get there early or bring a book to pass the time while you wait!
POKEHANA LA QUINTA 78742 Hwy 111, Ste A La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.0004 www.pokehana.com
MISAKI SUSHI & GRILL 46600 Washington St, Ste 1 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.3570 www.misakisushiandgrill.com
ALBACORE PAH AL A IN GREDIE NTS : • White Rice, Brown Rice or Spring Mix Base • Albacore • Onion • Cucumber • Red Cabbage • Wasabi Citrus Sauce • Creamy Togarashi Sauce • Topped with Seaweed Salad • Edamame • Avocado • Mango • Toasted Sesame • Crispy Lotus
Photoshoot Location: POKEHANA 78742 Hwy 111, Ste A La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.0004 www.pokehana.com
Clink O’Clock SIP ON THESE TASTY DRINKS AROUND TOWN WRITTEN BY: BIANCA KASAWDISH PHOTOGRAPHED BY: GABRIELLA MERRILL
La Quinta may be quaint, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a little fun while relaxing and enjoying yourself. Whether you’re into craft beer or trendy cocktails, you’ll find the perfect drink to sip on while taking in all the sights and sounds around you.
DRINK THIS: RUBY RED CITRUS MARTINI • For authentic Italian with a modern spin, Enzo’s Bistro & Bar offers the perfect night out, all set with your Italian favorites on the menu and drinks to top it all off. Try their signature Ruby Red Citrus Martini made with Deep Eddy Ruby Red Vodka, agave nectar, blood orange, fresh grapefruit juice and a grapefruit twist, all chilled up. Native Knowledge: Take your Italian experience up another level with a round on their outdoor bocce ball court. You’re up next! ENZO’S BISTRO AND BAR 78121 Avenida La Fonda La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.7333 www.enzosbistroandbar.com
DRINK THIS: EL PERFECTO MARGARITA • Feel like you’re on the Mexican Riviera at Adobe Grill at Waldorf Astoria’s La Quinta Resort & Club. Enjoy a traditional Mexican dining experience while sipping on custom margaritas made just for you. Check out the El Perfecto Margarita made up of DeLeon Diamante, Cointreau, a splash of OJ, and fresh-squeezed lime and lemon juice. Sounds muy perfecto!
DRINK THIS: KOFFI PORTER • Beer enthusiasts, this one’s for you. For a lively atmosphere and your pick of award-winning beers, La Quinta Brewing Co. has become a local favorite in the desert. Be sure to try their Koffi Porter, brewed with dark roasted chocolate and crystal malt, which won a medal. Cheers!
Native Knowledge: Awardwinning Adobe Grill at La Quinta Resort snagged the award for Open Diners’ Choice in 2015!
LA QUINTA BREWING CO. 78-065 Main St, Ste 100 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.972.4251 www.laquintabrewing.com
Native Knowledge: Before he was the founder of La Quinta Brewing Co., Scott Stokes spent several years home brewing!
ADOBE GRILL AT LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49-499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com/ dining/adobe-grill
BEER HE RE , TH ER E AND EVERYW HE RE • La Quinta Brewing Co. beer can be found in over 175 bars and restaurants in the desert area. Plus, you’re allowed to bring your own food into the bar or get it delivered. DRINK S F OR DAYS • Adobe Grill has over 100 tequilas for you to choose from. Their bartenders can make bespoke margaritas so you can enjoy whatever your heart desires.
Photoshoot Location: ADOBE GRILL AT LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49-499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com/dining/adobe-grill
Gimme Some Sugar THESE TASTY TREATS WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO SKIP DINNER WRITTEN BY: ANDREA GOMEZ PHOTOGRAPHED BY: GABRIELLA MERRILL
Calling all sweet tooths! Desserts are always the best way to satisfy your cravings after a long day— you deserve it! The La Quinta area is full of great spots for a sweet treat, be it ice cream creations at Nitroinfusions, baked delights at Old Town Coffee Company or a pop of flavor at Lollipops at La Quinta Resort & Club. Are you drooling yet?
MUST ORDER: STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE • Nitroinfusions is an organic liquid nitrogen ice cream shop, whose founders infuse creativity and homemade touches with the help of their grandfather’s ice cream recipes. The menu offers a variety of flavors like banana lavender, roasted pistachio and olive oil, and chocolate espresso! Nitroinfusions also feature nitro pops—organic liquid nitrogen ice sticks—with a decadent choice of flavors like piña colada, rocky road, cookie dough and many more. NITROINFUSIONS 78010 Main St, Ste 108 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.0700 www.nitroinfusions.com
WATCH AN D LEARN • The founders of Nitroinfusions perfected their treats by watching YouTube videos! They found a chemistry teacher who uploaded videos on how to create the nitrogen confections, and the rest is history.
Photoshoot Location: NITROINFUSIONS 78010 Main St, Ste 108 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.0700 www.nitroinfusions.com
MUST ORDER: TAFFY • Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory has nothing on the amazing flavors inside Lollipops at La Quinta Resort & Club, a Waldorf Astoria Resort. This toy and candy emporium puts a special emphasis on the sweeter side of life through caramel apples and retro candy flavors! Travel back in time through the amazing vintage decor and take the perfect Instagram selfie against Lollipops’ bright, striped wall. LOLLIPOPS AT LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com
MUST ORDER: BLUEBERRY MUFFIN • The sweet drinks at Old Town Coffee Company will transport you to a whole new sugary world! The coffee is 100 percent organic, and they are famous for their chai latte. If baked goodies are more your style, don’t forget to try out their cinnamon buns and blueberry muffins. Each bite will bring your sweet tooth all the loving it needs. OLD TOWN COFFEE COMPANY 78100 Main St, Ste 102 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.5553 www.oldtownlaquinta.com
TOP PROVIDED BY: Reformation www.thereformation.com PANTS PROVIDED BY: Lovers + Friends www.loversandfriends.us EARRINGS PROVIDED BY: Jenny Bird www.jenny-bird.com NECKLACE PROVIDED BY: Kelly Bello Design www.kellybellodesign.com BRACELET PROVIDED BY: Aurate New York www.auratenewyork.com
Dream a Little Dream TIENLYN JACOBSON IS LIVING HER BEST LIFE WRITTEN BY: TATIANA SERVIN DE MAIO PHOTOGRAPHED BY: DAMIEN NOBLE ANDREWS MAKEUP BY: BRIAN BOND USING MAC COSMETICS HAIR BY: MALENA VILLAVICENCIO
When we pursue our dreams, we find the grandest of adventures— which is exactly what happened to Tienlyn Jacobson. After graduating from Pitzer College and enrolling in fashion design school, Jacobson was discovered by a modeling agency and spent her time in front of the lens. “I realized it was fun to be a part of the story, but I wanted to tell the story,” she recounts. “I knew that I wanted to do something creative, build a beautiful life and not get stuck in the constraints of a nine to five.”
M E M O RI E S M A DE • “Our guestbook is my most treasured possession...There are moments of unrequited love and grief in there. People who came after the death of a loved one, or two people telling each other they loved each other the first time,” Jacobson explains. “I feel very grateful to be a part of it.” B E H I N D T HE CAM ERA • Jacobson is working on a short dark comedy film, “Asking for a Friend,” with her screenwriter cousin—based on a twisted, hypothetical situation.
TO FA IL O R NOT TO FA IL • “It’s almost egotistical to think that people care whether or not you are going to fail,” says Jacobson. “You are the only one who notices that. Why are you putting that on yourself?”
TIENLYN JACOBSON @thoughtfulmisfit www.thoughtfulmisfit.com Photoshoot Location: LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49-499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com
She found a way to construct this narrative through her own blog, Thoughtful Misfit. Here she discovered how compatible this medium was for her. “There are many levels of my blog... but...there’s a reason why I choose everything I choose...I like to connect with people, and I thrive on it,” she says. “I can communicate
even as a total introvert on the blog.” This beaming introvert never shies away from new experiences, which include renovating Cactus Mountain and The Geodome, two Airbnbs in Joshua Tree, with her husband. “With all the travel we did, we never found a city that felt like our city, until Joshua Tree,” she explains. “We got excited about the idea of being modern pioneers.” Jacobson sets out on their story the way an explorer might recount the early days, concluding “The desert is my spirit city.” Jacobson describes her great life as “a snowball effect—which is kinda funny because we are in the desert.” For those that want to follow her road map, she has one final piece of advice. “Not seeing the risk of failure as something to shy away from. That’s where you find the biggest adventures.”
Treat Yo’ Self BOTH YOU AND YOUR BAE DESERVE A LITTLE SELF-LOVIN’ WRITTEN BY: JENNIFER PELLERITO PHOTOGRAPHED BY: NATHAN COX
Let’s face it—we all deserve a little luxury here and there. Take a day and practice some selfcare while ensuring your significant other is on par with your newfound maintenance routine. Whether it’s booking your favorite wax service or trimming your sideburns, prepare to be pampered! Try one of these local hotspots and you’ll be looking sharp in no time.
Photoshoot Location: THE OLD FASHION BARBER SHOP 47875 Caleo Bay La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.2887
EUROPEAN WAX CENTER 78-411 Hwy 111 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.1717 www.waxcenter.com
THE OLD FASHION BARBER SHOP 47875 Caleo Bay La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.2887
• So fresh, so clean, so liberated. This waxing salon takes a stress-free approach to hair removal so that you won’t have to think twice about slipping into a bikini. The friendly estheticians make every experience enjoyable—so much so that you’ll even look forward to the next visit! Plus, take home European Wax Center’s signature line of skin and beauty products, and you can pamper yourself pretty all month long.
• This gentleman’s grooming spot offers the best in customer service and boasts longtime, loyal clientele. You’ll be set up high atop a vintage barber chair and treated to an amazing haircut in La Quinta. It’s high time for a clean cut and a shave that will have you looking and feeling like a million dollars, don’t you agree?
Native Knowledge: Get their Unlimited Wax Pass that lets you come in for services all year long!
Native Knowledge: Kiddos are welcome to get their ‘do cleaned up, too!
ON T HE L INE • Want a precise fade or a clean shave? Skip trying to do it at home, because The Old Fashion Barber Shop is all about that sharp look in a relaxed environment. STUDY, WAX, RE P E AT • If you are a student, you can get European Wax Center’s Student Wax Pass. If you buy three of any service, they’ll give you the fourth one free!
Retail Therapy CREATE YOUR OWN SPA WITH H2O CLOSET WRITTEN BY: JOSE LUIS PEREZ JR. PHOTOGRAPHED BY: JANE CHOUTEAU
The changing seasons demand the most rigorous, spa-centric, self-loving care for one's body and home. h2o closet, the modern apothecary in Old Town La Quinta is the boutique to visit to fill your space with all you need to bring that much-needed spa treatment right to your very own home.
Flanked by Old California architecture, this homegrown intersection of commerce and culture aligns their walls with products from places including Australia, Sweden, Spain, Japan, the US and more. In early
2014, h2o closet launched with an array of unique products meant to help rejuvenate and heal for a luxurious self-treatment. If your skin desires some love, grab a jar of Malin+Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer. It is the hydrating, daily-use moisturizer that is oil-free and made with natural antioxidants to enrich your skin—especially those with sensitive skin! You’ll also find unique gifts for friends and family. From candles and cards to the laugh-out-loud Alexandra Ferguson collection of tote and makeup bags, you’ll up your thoughtful, yet witty gift game—just
watch the face of your recipients as you hand over the WTF or the YOLO bags! And after a day of giving to others, how about a bath soak for yourself? Harper+Ari Tangerine Sugar Cubes (h2o closet warning: these smell good enough to eat but please don't!). These little cubes work big wonders— one cube can exfoliate and give some TLC to your entire body. No matter what gift calls your name (gifts to yourself, included), you’ll want to rinse, wash, then repeat a visit to h20 Closet.
A LITTL E BIT OF EVERYTHING • Don’t know what you need? Let h20 closet guide you. From skincare to linens, they will fill your bathroom— and whole house— with r&r goodies. N ATIV E KN OWL E D G E : • Owners Ken Zaikowski and Steve Kouchi test every product in the store on themselves! Follow h2o closet’s Instagram to see the hilarious videos.
Photoshoot Location: H2O CLOSET 78010 Main St, Ste 111 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.7399 www.h2ocloset.com
Creating More MeTime FACIALS, WORKOUTS, MEDITATIONS— THESE WELLNESS SERVICES ARE HERE FOR YOU WRITTEN BY: ANDREA GOMEZ
2019 is fast approaching, are you ready? The start of the new year means new beginnings—in careers, personal bonds and even self-care. Now’s the time to take the opportunity to start anew and re-energize yourself. Your new chapter begins with ultimate rest and relaxation at these La Quinta spa and wellness centers.
P U S H I NG B O U NDA RI E S • Live Well Clinic offers Regenerative Stem Cell Therapy that aim to help people treat arthritis, chronic infections and joint injuries.
FACIA L S FO R T HE FA M • Spa La Quinta offers facials for the young and old alike! Take your teenager to get a Pure Junior Facial. This facial aims to just clean, tone and purify your teen’s face!
WELLNESS CENTER, CITY OF LA QUINTA 78450 Avenida La Fonda La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.0096 www.laquintaca.gov
• The new year calls for a new workout regime. You can stay in shape (or work off those holiday pounds) with the City of La Quinta’s Wellness Center! The space offers a fitness center with equipment, Wi-Fi and outdoor areas. The Center also provides various wellness seminars and classes for those interested in a more group-oriented environment. SPA LA QUINTA La Quinta Resort & Club 49499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, California 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com
• Looking for a one-of-akind spa service? Spa La Quinta at La Quinta Resort & Club is the perfect place to recharge yourself for the new year! Pamper yourself with one of the many
luxurious massages or body treatments available, including the La Quinta Citrus Escape with coconut and mandarin oil combined with a sugar, salt and organic shea butter scrub. Or, give your face some extra love with one of their special gel peel treatments to minimize surface lines and smooth your skin. Go now, thank us later! LIVE WELL CLINIC 78900 Ave 47, Ste 102 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.5970 www.livewellclinic.org
• Put your health first with the services at the Live Well Clinic. The clinic provides natural, non-toxic therapies recommended by doctors and health practitioners. The health and wellness clinic provides everything from Vitamin B injections and acupuncture to IV nutrient therapy and integrative cancer therapy—all with the mindset of being proactive for your wellbeing. Life’s all about having fun, especially throughout the holidays, but the Live Well Clinic is here for when you’re ready to reset, recharge and get your health right back on track.
GATHER: A MOVEMENT & WELLNESS STUDIO 78065 Main St, Ste 203 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.219.7953 www.gatherlaquinta.com
• Practice your ‘ohm’ and find inner peace at Gather: A Movement & Wellness Studio. Gather puts an emphasis on creating a safe, sacred space for healing and connection within a community, and yourself. No matter the healing ritual calling your name, you’ll find it here. With various classes including yoga, modern dance, meditation and support sessions, Gather is a place for you to press the pause button, breathe and take a moment for yourself. CLUB PILATES 78437 CA-111 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.289.6787 www.clubpilates.com/ laquinta
• There’s no denying the benefits that come from practicing pilates. At Club Pilates, you can build your endurance and safely challenge yourself to a greater, healthier fitness level with the help of expert instructors. Club Pilates focuses on lowimpact, full-body workouts that provide high-impact results in stabilizing and building muscles. Whether you’re a pilates pro or looking to start, Club Pilates has created a welcoming atmosphere meant to encourage and educate clients on how their bodies work, no matter their skill level.
The Great Outdoors THE OUTDOORS IS CALLING, GET READY FOR AN ADVENTURE WRITTEN BY: NIA YATES PHOTOGRAPHED BY: SAL CAVAZOS MODEL: SABRINA LEEPER OF BRAND MODEL & TALENT, brandtalent.net
Come prepared for outdoor fun in La Quinta, plus a few Instagrammable moments with great lighting. La Quinta offers walkable shopping options, with local vintage stores and dining venues to choose from. It may be an opportunity to pick up a few picnic essentials and head over to Fritz Burns Park or Lake Cahuilla. For locals, be sure to include the Embassy Suites in your staycation plans. So, what are you waiting for? Get outside!
WALK IN THE PARK
• Tennis courts, a sparkling pool and a Spiderman-like jungle gym for the little ones to enjoy, all await you at Fritz Burns Park. With 12 acres located on the corner of Avenue 52 and Avenida Bermudas, bring your furry friend to mingle with local dogs at the park’s exclusive dog park. If you are into the skater scene, bring your board to shred with local skaters and show off your skills.
• Lake Cahuilla—a lake in the middle of the desert? It’s not a mirage, there’s a place to picnic, fish and hang with family and friends in the middle of La Quinta. Barbecue grills, volleyball and pickleball courts, shaded seating and lush grass surrounds the 710-acre park. Don’t forget, if fishing is on your mind, be sure to bring your license.
FRITZ BURNS PARK 78107 Avenue 52 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.4347 laquintaca.gov
LAKE CAHUILLA RECREATION AREA 58075 Jefferson St La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4712 rivcoparks.org
NATIV E KNOW L E D G E • Looking to catch some trout? Be sure to check Lake Cahuilla’s website for their stocking dates!
Come prepared for outdoor fun in La Quinta, plus a few Instagrammable moments with great lighting.
All Apparel Provided By: Blonde Clothing Boutique www.blondeclothingboutique.com
LAKE CAHUILLA RECREATION AREA Riverside County Film Commission rcfilmtv.org
Put a Swing on It THESE LA QUINTA GOLF COURSES ARE SECOND TO NONE WRITTEN BY: QUINTAN VALLES PHOTOGRAPHY PROVIDED BY: SILVERROCK RESORT
Golfing requires an immense amount of focus, finessed motor skills, engaging conversations, and drinks—lots and lots of drinks. Yes, golf is more than a competitive sport. It’s a reason to get together with friends, take in the fresh air and fresh green grass, and work on that swing. We think there’s no better place to embark on this physical and social endeavor than the beautiful, golf-loving city of La Quinta.
SILVERROCK RESORT 79179 Ahmanson Ln La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.8884 www.silverrock.org
LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com
• Swing by the La Quinta Resort & Club, a Waldorf Astoria Resort, for some of the best golfing right at your fingertips. Experience five stunning courses where you can play for fun or take your game to the next level with La Quinta’s PGA WEST Golf Academy and receive on-course instruction, club fitting and video analysis. Native Knowledge: If you are a resort guest, you can enjoy perks like complimentary shuttle service, driving range access and so much more.
THE GOLF CLUB AT LA QUINTA 60151 Trilogy Pkwy, Ste 2 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.0707 thegolfclubatlaquinta.com
• This property has been graced with the presence of pros like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. The picturesque course was designed by the awardwinning Gary Panks Associates and boasts awe-inspiring water features, sand perils and perfectly-manicured greens. This pleasantlychallenging spot is sure to satisfy golfers at any level. Native Knowledge: Become a member and take part in preferred tee time access, pricing discounts and more!
SILVERROCK RESORT 79179 Ahmanson Ln La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.8884 www.silverrock.org
• A beautiful day on the golf course is not complete without a breathtaking view and a downright delicious bloody mary—both of which you can get at SilverRock Resort. The Arnold Palmer Classic Course is 7,239 yards of green splendor with the majestic Santa Rosa Mountains serving as its backdrop. And as for that drink, have the elegant SilverRock Grill hook you up. Native Knowledge: Want to challenge the office or your golf crew to a private tournament? SilverRock will provide groups of 13 or more with perks like a barbecue, buffets, personalized scorecards and even a shotgun start or a hole in one contest to really get that friendly competition going.
GOODFELLAS • Taking a break from his toughguy roles, actor Joe Pesci has taken a swing on the green at The Golf Club at La Quinta.
TAK E A B RE AK • Take a moment to relax with your golfing buddies with a smooth, toasty stogie at the Hideaway Cigar Club off of Highway 111. This is the perfect place to lounge on your carefree day of golfing.
Road Trippin’ CRUISE THROUGH LA QUINTA IN STYLE WRITTEN BY: JORDAN LIGONS PHOTOGRAPHED BY: DAMIEN NOBLE ANDREWS MAKEUP BY: BRIAN BOND USING MAC COSMETICS HAIR BY: MALENA VILLAVICENCIO MODEL: TIENLYN JACOBSON
Picture this: you’re driving through La Quinta with the top down, Google Maps on deck and your Spotify road trip playlist on full blast. There’s no better way to explore the city than with a fancy ride from indiGO Auto Group—take this shiny, Aston Martin convertible for example. Grab your crew and cruise by these hot destinations during your next visit to Greater Palm Springs!
AC RO S S T HE M A P • Taking a crosscountry road trip anytime soon? indiGO Auto group has locations in Houston and St. Louis in addition to Rancho Mirage and Palm Springs!
YOUR R OA D T R IP PL AY L IST • “OTW” by Khalid • “Shut Up and Drive” by Rihanna • “Ride or Die” by The Knocks • “Ferrari” by Bebe Rexha • “Aston Martin Music” by Rick Ross ft. Drake
TAKE A SWING • Set a tee time at this 2,000-acre golf and lifestyle community where you don’t have to be a member to enjoy the green. Get on the road early and start your trip with a cool 18-hole introduction to the city. Plus, if you get hungry, take a break at the on-site dining like Ernie’s Bar & Grill and Wallaby’s West. Native Knowledge: There’s an exclusive (and immaculate) sports club set to open soon. Snag a Champions Membership to insure you’ll be taking advantage of all of the state-of-the-art facilities. THE CLUB AT PGA WEST 55-955 PGA Blvd La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.7111 www.pgawest.com
TAKE A PIC • “Hang a left at the roadrunner, and it’s a straight shot to Coachella Fest!” This is the norm to La Quinta locals, thanks to their gift
from Goldenvoice. The metallic statue is now the centerpiece of the Jefferson Street and Avenue 52 traffic circle. Do it for the ‘Gram! Native Knowledge: The statue was originally an art installation at the 2014 Coachella Festival created by artist Don Kennell. BIG METAL ROADRUNNER Jefferson St and Ave 52 La Quinta, CA 92253
TAKE A TRIP • Got an extra $52K to splurge a night? Or maybe a group of 26 friends to split the bill? Whatever it may be, a drive to this estate is worth the trip, and the price tag. Roll up in your Aston Martin and get ready to live like “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune” creator, Merv Griffin, did. With about 39 acres of luxe living, this is an ultimate Moroccaninspired retreat. Native Knowledge: Some of the estate’s amenities include
a 2.5-acre pond, bocce ball court, infinity edge pool and equestrian racetrack! THE MERV GRIFFIN ESTATE 81345 Avenue 54 La Quinta, CA 92253
TAKE A DIP • Hey, big spender! Take a stroll along the 40-acre villa’s man-made whitesand “beach,” lounge on one of the property’s many sun decks or shoot some pool in the game room. This 11-bedroom, 11-bathroom oasis will put the exclamation point to your unforgettable road trip. Native Knowledge: The property is about two miles away from Empire Polo Fields, home to Coachella, so grab your squad and rent out this property next festival season! If it’s good enough for Bella and Gigi Hadid, it’s good enough for you, right? VILLA ZENYARA Coachella, CA 212.244.4001 www.zenyara.com
INDIGO AUTO GROUP 71377 CA-111 Rancho Mirage, CA 92270 760.610.0292 www.indigoautogroup.com ASTON MARTIN CONVERTIBLE PROVIDED BY: indiGO Auto Group
Photoshoot Location: LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49-499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com TOP PROVIDED BY: Delphine the Label www.delphinethelabel.com SUNGLASSES PROVIDED BY: Prada www.prada.com SCARF PROVIDED BY: The Three Graces www.threegraceslondon.com SHOES PROVIDED BY: Shop Gorgigi www.gorgigi.com
LOCALEN DAR 12 LA QUINTA EVENTS YOU CANNOT MISS WRITTEN BY: ALETTA COOKE
CHEERS TO BREW IN LQ November 17
• Indulge all of your senses at the Brew in LQ craft beer festival. Local breweries, Allagash Brewing Company, Humboldt Brewing Company, Mission Brewery and Lost Coast Brewery will be present. Tickets are $10-$75. www.playinlaquinta.com
EXPERIENCE THE LA QUINTA ART FESTIVAL March 7-10
• Discover the next Picasso at the 37th Annual La Quinta Art Festival. With over 200 exhibitors, you’ll have plenty of reason to come back. Single-day and multi-day pass tickets are available. www.lqaf.com
CLINK AT THE TEQUILA & TACO FIESTA • Treat your taste buds to the ultimate delicacy: tequila and tacos. You can attend this event in Old Town La Quinta for free—but you’ll most likely end up spending money on the savory tacos and signature cocktails provided by local restaurants in the area! www.playinlaquinta.com
DELIGHT IN THE HOLIDAY TREE LIGHTING December 7
• Musical performances and tasty treats are plentiful at this tree lighting ceremony. Admission is free for those who are naughty and nice. It does get crowded so make sure to arrive early. www.playinlaquinta.com
GO TO ART ON MAIN STREET
November 10 and 24; January 5 and 19; February 2 and 16; March 16 and April 6
• From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. you can browse and shop from 80 different artists in upcoming months in the heart of Old Town La Quinta! From jewelry and ceramics to photographs and woodwork, there’s something for everyone. www.oldtownlaquinta.com
TRY THE IRONMAN 70.3 INDIAN WELLS/ LA QUINTA • Move over, Tony Stark. This grueling triathlon is coming to La Quinta for the first time! Compete to receive an invitation to the World Championship or cheer on your favorite athletes. Either way, you’re still a superhero. www.ironman.com
VENTURE TO A FARMERS MARKET Sundays
• So fresh and so clean describes all the herbs, eggs and other produce at Old Town’s Farmers Market between October and April. Shop from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; live music and chef demonstrations are also available. www.oldtownlaquinta.com
CATCH A MOVIE WITH STREET FOOD CINEMA May 2019
• Music, food trucks and bands, oh my! Bring a blanket and some friends to watch a movie on a 50-foot movie screen! Not only is there something to see, but there are also things to taste and live music to listen too as well! www.streetfoodcinema.com
WATCH THE CAREERBUILDER CHALLENGE
LISTEN TO BARRY MINNIEFIELD November 1
• You won’t have to yell “fore!” when watching these golfers as the PGA West celebrates its 60th anniversary. Watch some of your favorite players compete for titles in this five-day tournament.
• On First Thursdays, listen to artists perform while you enjoy extended happy hours, al fresco dining, evening shopping and more. On November 1, from 5-8 p.m., listen to “The Voice” alum perform while you indulge in all Old Town La Quinta has to offer.
ENJOY THE TASTE OF LA QUINTA • Let your inner foodie loose at the 10th annual Taste of La Quinta food festival. Explore food and wine pairings, discover local craft breweries and dance to live music. www.gcvcc.org
TAKE A MOONLIGHT HIKE • You won’t want to forget your camera when hiking up the picturesque trails during the full moon hike! See the desert and all of its mysterious creatures in a different light. www.desertmountains.org
Feelin’ Artsy STOP BY THESE SPOTS FOR SOME ART ADMIRATION WRITTEN BY: ALETTA COOKE PHOTOGRAPHED BY: SAL CAVAZOS
Greater Palm Springs may be famous for its expansive desert surroundings, but La Quinta’s artistic side may give those views a run for their money. For those who love the art scene, dip your paintbrush, don your smock and check out the following art organizations and events for your viewing—and interactive—pleasure!
A RT I N P LAI N S I G H T • Several of the public art pieces have become a part of everyday life in La Quinta— including the Desert Mural on the La Quinta Car Wash, created by Marcia Gibbons and La Quinta High students!
Photoshoot Location: BIG METAL ROADRUNNER Jefferson St and Ave 52 La Quinta, CA 92253
OLD TOWN ARTISAN STUDIOS 78046 Calle Barcelon La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.1444 oldtownartisanstudios.org
• Old Town Artisan Studios is a nonprofit offering affordable art classes for all ages. Let your creative spirit be free with hands-on classes and activities in painting, glass, ceramic and other artistic mediums. Creating art feels good, but art at this studio does good: they offer fee-exempt instruction for charities throughout Coachella Valley. LA QUINTA MUSEUM 77885 Avenida Montezuma La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.7170 playinlaquinta.com
• With a focus on La Quinta’s history, La Quinta Museum showcases the town's Native American influence with works memorializing various
scenes of La Quinta. Check out the Museum Store for some locally-crafted pieces. Admission is free, so bring the whole gang for some serious art admiration. LA QUINTA ARTS FESTIVAL 78495 Calle Tampico La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.1244 lqaf.com
local artists to connect and share with each other. Events and seminars are always being offered for you to get involved. Struggling with your stick figures? You can still support local artists by volunteering for the art shows. ART IN PUBLIC PLACES 78495 Calle Tampico La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.7000 www.laquintaca.gov
• Take your art gazing to the 37th Annual La Quinta Art Foundation Festival March 7-10, 2019. With music, exciting performance art and 220 artists presenting at the outdoor gallery, you can enjoy all the activities to your heART’s content. LA QUINTA ART ASSOCIATION 52545 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 laquintaartassociation.com
• Established in 2016, the La Quinta Art Association is an organization for
• Take a walk in the park and you’ll see stunning sculptures and installations from the Art In Public Places program. Check out Andalusia or take a moment to remember the fallen with the 9-11 Memorial sculpture. Located in downtown La Quinta, these local treasures confirm the notion that art is meant to be seen by all.
H EY, BIG SPEN DER! • La Quinta takes its art very seriously. The Art Foundation Festival is one of the most profitable places for artists to hawk their wares, with an average sales total of $14,500 per artist.
Famtastic Activities WE’VE FOUND THE BEST LA QUINTA ACTIVITIES FOR THE WHOLE SQUAD WRITTEN BY: KEANA MCGRATH PHOTOGRAPHED BY: DAMIEN NOBLE ANDREWS MAKEUP BY: BRIAN BOND USING MAC COSMETICS HAIR BY: MALENA VILLAVICENCIO MODEL: TIENLYN JACOBSON
PEDEGO ELECTRIC BIKES 78-075 Main St, Ste 104 La Quinta, CA 92253 760.972.4017 pedegoelectricbikes.com
• With a motto of “Hello, fun!” how can you go wrong? For a family with a little sense of adventure, Pedego Electric Bikes is the perfect way to explore the valley and trails. Because the bikes are electric, you pedal like a normal bike but feel like you’re gliding, making this a fun and safe way to explore La Quinta.
CINEMARK LA QUINTA AND XD 46800 Washington St La Quinta, CA 92253 760.771.5682 www.cinemark.com
LASER OASIS FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER 46805 Dune Palms Rd La Quinta, CA 92253 760.777.4321 www.laseroasis.com
• If you’re looking to beat the heat after an exciting day of exploring, Cinemark in La Quinta offers a viewing experience like none other in their luxury loungers. The XD auditorium is the largest screen in the building—wall-to-wall!— and industry-leading sound to take you from the theater seat right into the movie itself.
• This 17,000-square-foot facility is home to the largest laser tag arena in Southern California, a 20-foot-tall indoor ropes course and over 40 arcade games and party rooms for a fun afternoon. Oh, and mom and dad? There are not one, but two bars and a restaurant to refuel.
Rich with history, art, culture, 16 different parks, and miles of hiking and biking trails, La Quinta is a perfect getaway with fun activities and outings around every corner. We’re sharing three of our favorite places for you and your family to check out—we promise there’s something that everyone can enjoy. Family time starts...now!
FOR THE LO NG H AU L • Pedego Electric Bikes have a distance range from 15 miles all the way to 60, depending on your terrain and the bike’s battery.
Photoshoot Location: LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49-499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com TOP PROVIDED BY: Misha Collection www.mishacollection.us PANTS PROVIDED BY: Nanushka www.nanushka.com HAT PROVIDED BY: Tenth Street Hats www.tenthstreethats.com NECKLACE PROVIDED BY: Wolf Circus at Shop Zane www.visitzane.com SHOES PROVIDED BY: Tretorn Us.tretorn.com
Stay a While THE LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB WANTS YOU TO SEE WHAT LIVING THE GOOD LIFE IS ALL ABOUT WRITTEN BY: LYNNE EODICE PHOTOGRAPHY PROVIDED BY: LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB
Pamper yourself by taking a long weekend—or a whole week—at the gorgeous La Quinta Resort & Club, a Waldorf Astoria Resort! You can play a killer game of golf or tennis, or do nothing at all while you chill out at one of the resort’s many pools.
STAY AWHILE • Choose from luxurious digs like the Starlight Casita with its own private patio and fireplace, the spacious El Presidente Suite with a private pool and hot tub, or a Spa Villa with lap pool access. Plus, you can stay with your best furry friend in a pet-friendly casita. The PAWS La Quinta Pet Experience offers stainless steel bowls, hiking trails,
plush pet beds and even massages for your fur baby! GRAB A BITE • They have seven great restaurants that offer culinary experiences ranging from light snacks by the pool at Centre Court Café to comfort food at Twenty6 and gourmet dining at Morgan’s in the Desert. Enjoy real Mexican dishes at the Adobe Grill, or all-American fare at the MD Grill. GET ACTIVE • Dive into one or all of the 41 pools at the resort or get some tee-time at one of five golf courses—two are onsite while three more are at the property’s PGA WEST club. It’s also one of the top tennis spots in the world,
where you can up your game by taking lessons from pros. You can even take a yoga and mindfulness class, too. Or, explore the desert with excursions like visiting The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens nearby. INDULGE • At Spa La Quinta, you can choose from a wide variety of body treatments, massages and facials. Wellness rituals like “Find Your Zen” will renew your mind, body and spirit. “The Sun Worshipper” ritual combines a few hours outdoors with a body polish and massage. And, of course, you’ll want to top it off at the Salon at Spa La Quinta for a mani-pedi, a new ‘do and a makeup lesson.
OLD SCH OOL GLAM OUR • The original La Quinta Hotel opened its doors in 1926. Celebrities like Clark Gable and Greta Garbo once frequented this luxurious oasis in the desert.
LA QUINTA RESORT & CLUB 49-499 Eisenhower Dr La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.4111 www.laquintaresort.com
TIME TO C E L E B RATE • Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s Day are awesome holidays to spend on the property. You can listen to carolers in the plaza, eat chestnuts roasted on an open fire, see the lighting of a Menorah and meet Santa Claus.
Stay-Cay GET YOUR STAYCATION ON AT THESE HOTELS WRITTEN BY: DR. PAULA TRIMBLE-FAMILETTI PHOTOGRAPHY PROVIDED BY: THE CHATEAU AT LAKE LA QUINTA
Looking for a great way to spend your next staycation? These two centrally-located, Coachella Valley hotels offer accommodations to fit your desires. Plus, who needs a vacation when you’re living in one of the ultimate vacation spots in the world?
THE CHATEAU AT LAKE LA QUINTA 78-120 Caleo Bay La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.7332 thechateaulakelaquinta.com
HOMEWOOD SUITES HOTEL BY HILTON 45-200 Washington St La Quinta, CA 92253 760.391.4600 homewoodsuites3.hilton.com
THE CHATEAU AT LAKE LA QUINTA 78-120 Caleo Bay La Quinta, CA 92253 760.564.7332 thechateaulakelaquinta.com
• Homewood Suites by Hilton is your home away from home. Families will be able to enjoy an outdoor pool to spend their day or relax in the spa tub to unwind. If you want to enjoy a day on the town, you’ll be just a short distance from Old Town La Quinta!
• The Chateau at Lake La Quinta, a beautiful boutique hotel, offers an elegant, magical experience. Stunningly decorated, the rooms offer waterfront views that are personal and romantic. The restaurant, Mélange, boasts a delightful dining room with views of the mountains. The menu changes seasonally to reflect the freshest of produce in season.
Native Knowledge: Can’t leave Fido home for the duration of your trip? Not a problem at Homewood Suites by Hilton! Bring your pup along for the staycation and enjoy the trip with your best friend at your side.
Native Knowledge: Looking for a ride for your night on the town? Tesloop offers transportation in top-of-theline Teslas, so your ride will not only be electric, but you’ll look great in it as well! The Chateau at Lake La Quinta is happy to book your ride.