16. What if I lose or damage an item borrowed from the library? If you lose or damage an item you will be expected to pay for it, or supply a new copy in good condition. You will also have to pay the processing fee. 17. What if I lose or damage an e-book reader or some other piece of technical equipment? If you lose or damage an e-book reader or any other piece of technical equipment, you will be expected to pay for it. 18. I would like to repair the damaged items myself. May I do that? No.You may not repair the damaged items yourself. Just report the damage to a librarian when you return the damaged item. 19. Can I access the Internet in my library? If you are a library member and have paid your outstanding debts in time, you can use a computer free of charge. 20. I am not a library member. Can I still use a computer? If you are not a library member, you can use certain computers at e-points of the Ljubljana City Library free of charge for up to 15 minutes. 21. I am not a library member and I need a computer for more than 15 minutes. Can I access the Internet in your library? If you are not a library member, you can access the Internet for a charge determined by the valid price list.
27. Can I use a Reading Room? The reading room can be used only by library members upon presentation of a library card. If you are not a library member, you should present your ID to a librarian. 28. What can I borrow in a Reading Room? You can borrow newspapers and magazines and also materials which are supposed to be used only in the library, i.e. reference collection.
22. Can I use a computer for an unlimited time? The use of computers is available for a limited time only. You can be on the computer for one hour. Then you might be asked to meet the need of other visitors who are waiting their turn. 23. Can I learn how to use computers in the library? Yes. The Ljubljana City Library has a programme called The Point of Lifelong Learning that is free of charge. This involves learning basic computer skills with the help of a mentor. 24. Which library services do I need to pay for? You will have to pay for printing, photocopying, compiling a bibliography etc. according to the valid price list. 25. The library item I am looking for is not available in your library. Can I still borrow it? Yes, you may fill in the Interlibrary Loan Request form in person at the library, online (www.mklj.si, My Library). The price of an interlibrary loan service is 6 EUR per item. 26. Does your library offer any public event such as an exhibition or a lecture? Yes. There is a Program Calender where you can find events on a specific day. Anyone who plans to hold an event in a public space owned by the Ljubljana City Library is invited to make contact with the Events Unit.
ljubljana city library
? frequently asked
QUESTIONS As a member of the Ljubljana City Library (LCL), you can use all of the services offered by the Library in all its branches.
1. How can I join the library? You visit any branch, fill in a library membership application form, and provide a valid official document (an identity card or a passport). For children and young adults under 18, a parent or guardian must sign the application form. 2. Is there a membership fee? Yes. Different categories of members pay different membership fees in the amount defined in the price list. • Members under the age of 18, the unemployed, asylum seekers, members of the Library Association of Ljubljana free of charge; • secondary school students over 18, full time students, seniors, the disabled 8,00 €; • the employed 12,50 €. Membership fee covers a period of 12 months. 3. Do I need library card to borrow library material? Yes. Library members should present their library card in order to use library services. Membership card is Urbana city card that is being used for public tranports, rent-a-bike service (BicikeLJ), the castle’s cable car service, or for payment of parking space in Ljubljana. It costs 2€.
• • • •
audio books on various media (CDs, DVDs, CD-ROMs) language courses on various media (CDs, DVDs, VHS, audio cassettes) maps, toys, librettos e-book readers (without the possibility of renewal)
7 days without the possibility of renewal: • newspapers (issued daily or weekly) • music and audio CDs, audio DVDs • films on various media (DVDs, Blu-Ray Discs, VHS) On every visit a member receives a checkout receipt of the borrowed items, with the due dates and possible debt. Members are kindly asked to check the checkout receipt. Later complaints will not be taken into consideration. 5. How can I renew items? The loan period of library material can be renewed: • in person at the library • by phone (please, check the phone numbers of our branches at www. mklj.si) • online (www.mklj.si, My Library)
4. What can I borrow and for how long? 21 days + renewal 21 days: • books • magazines (issued every 14 days or less frequently) • audio cassettes • audio CDs for children • CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, diskettes
6. How many times can I renew items? The loan period can be renewed once only. The loan period cannot be renewed for materials for which an overdue notice has been sent out and for materials which have been put on hold by other members. The loan period also cannot be renewed if a member has outstanding debts which exceed 30€ or are older than three months. An exceptional loan period of up to six weeks without the possibility of renewal can be approved but only once a year.
7. How can I order an available item? You can order an available item by phone or online (www.mklj.si, My Library). The ordered item should be collected within one working day upon receiving confirmation from the Library.
12. What happens if I’m late for seven days? If you are late for seven days, you will receive the first overdue notice. You will have to pay 0.40€ for the overdue notice plus the overdue fine for each item.
8. How can I reserve an item which is currently borrowed? You can reserve items which are currently on loan to other members either in person, by phone or online (www.mklj.si, My Library). Up to three items can be reserved at a time. Members are notified when the reserved item becomes available by e-mail or SMS, phone or by post. The reserved item should be collected within two working days upon receiving notification from the Library.
13. I have received the first overdue notice, but I still have not returned the borrowed items. What happens next? If you have already received the first overdue notice but you have not returned the items to the library, you will receive the second overdue notice on the fifteenth day after the first overdue notice. Then you will have to pay 0.40€ for the first overdue notice and 0.80€ for the second overdue notice plus the overdue fine for each item. After three (3) weeks from the day of sending the third overdue notice 1,80€, the Library will refer the responsibility for the case to a third party debt collection agency.
9. I was charged 0,80€ for not picking up the reserved item. Why? Reservation and ordering of material are free of charge. However, if the reserved or ordered item is not collected in time, a fine of 0,80€ is charged. 10. What happens if I don’t return library items on time? Items not returned on time, and not renewed, will be subject to a fine. The fine is 0.25€ per day on a book. On a video, CD and DVD the fine is 0,60€ per day. You can avoid paying fines by renewing your items in person, by phone or by renewing on-line.
14. I have received the second overdue notice, but I still have not returned the borrowed items. What happens now? If you have received the second overdue notice and still have not returned the borrowed item, you will receive the third overdue notice on the fifteenth day after the second overdue notice. Then you will have to pay 0,40€ for the first overdue notice, 0,80€ for the second overdue notice, 1,80€ for the third overdue notice plus the overdue fine for each item.
11. What if I’m late for only one day ? If you are late for only one day, you won’t have to pay an overdue fine. However, if you are late for more than one day, you will have to pay overdue fines for each day past the due date.
15. Do I get notified about my approaching due day? At his or her request a member can receive an e-mail or SMS notice about the approaching due date or approaching overdue notice.