GRAND PRIZES METRO CX City Commuter Electric Bike Courtesy iGO Electric Bikes - valued at $2,099 FITNESS • HEALTH • SPORTS • LIFESTYLE impactmagazine.ca Follow us of Fitness Giveaways Enter to win thousands of dollars in prizes beginning December 1 st on our Instagram! 12 Days Airfare for Two Anywhere Lynx Air Flies Courtesy Lynx Air - valued at $1,200
VISIT MNPCENTRE.COM TO SEE OUR LATEST PROMOTIONS. IT’S ONLY COLD IF YOU’RE STANDING STILL.
Enter to win thousands of dollars of prizes beginning December 1 st on our Instagram! impactmagcanada impactmag impactmag December 2022 I 3 GRAND PRIZES METRO CX City Commuter Electric Bike Courtesy iGO Electric Bikes - valued at $2,099 Airfare for Two Anywhere Lynx Air Flies Courtesy Lynx Air - valued at $1,200
iGO Electric Bikes
Hybrid Electric Bike
The versatility of the Elite 3D makes this the ideal ‘everyday’ electric bicycle. Perfect as a commuter to get to and from work without breaking a sweat, rugged and sturdy enough to satisfy any weekend explorer. $2,499 WWW.IGOELECTRIC.COM/ELITE3D
City Commuter Electric Bike
Explore the city, commute with confidence. The iGO Metro CX eBike will transform how you get around the city and will enrich your quality of life. As an amazingly affordable entry into eBikes, the Metro CX delivers a level of excellence that will seem unbelievable. Switching to eBike mobility is the best way to reduce your carbon footprint without compromising your independence. $2,099
6 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
The most sought-after product this season. With the ability to easily navigate through snow, mud, or sand an electric fatbike is possibly the most adaptable ‘all year’ bike. Awarded Best Value Fat eBike of 2021 and 2022 by ‘Electric Bike Review’.
Hardtail 27.5 eMTB Powerful, Agile and Durable Trail Bike - Built to dominate. Designed to tackle substantial trails over variable terrain with power to spare.
Electric Gravel Bike
The Camillien Electric Gravel bike features classic road bike beauty and is built for adventure and abuse. The 42C tires provide exceptional control and traction on rough or rocky terrain and will still speed along the open road. Full colour display with Bluetooth technology syncs to the iGO Connect app for enhanced ride settings and controls as well as access to the ‘off road mode’ allowing the bike extended assist up to 45km/h.
December 2022 I 7
8 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Commute This Winter With Your eBike
Don’t pack your bike away; we’ve got the tips for winter commuting
BY EMILY MEYER COURTESY OF IGO ELECTRIC BIKES IMPACT assistant editor, fitness and travel enthusiast in Calgary, AB. EMILY.MEYER.TRAVELTALES EMILY MEYER
There’s no question that eBikes have improved how we commute in Canada. Forget about sitting in traffic and breathing in the idling fumes of cars. Instead, get some relaxing exercise and enjoy the fresh outdoors.
Now you might think that with the dark, grey gloom of winter looming over us that it’s time to pack it in for winter – say goodbye to the endorphin-boosting commute. But we’re here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be so.
Commuting with your eBike is still very possible in the winter; it just takes some preparation and knowledge.
Let’s start with the bike basics. Fat bikes are a popular choice for those who also love to take their eBike into the trails. However, for city commuters, a narrower tire that can cut through the snow and make contact with the pavement is ideal.
Consider too the rubber and pressure of the tires.
“If the rubber of your tire is hard, you’re going to slip more easily,” says Michel Courval of iGO Electric.
Similar to how we change our car tires in the winter to adapt to the cold temperatures, we need to change our bike tires to have a softer rubber with good tread and drop the pressures to provide better control in winter conditions.
To ensure maximum safety in the areas of Canada where snow and ice can pile up, consider adding studs. Courval recommends a stud pattern with the rubber band in the middle and two rows of studs on the side. That way, if you need to make a quick swerve to avoid a car door or other obstruction, your bike won’t slip out from under you.
Now let’s talk about bike care. Salt from the road will eat away at your bike. Although a spring tune-up to fix the corrosion that happened over winter is still remarkably affordable compared to the maintenance of a car, you can mitigate the cost further by ensuring your bike is kept clean through winter. Clean off the salt with water, and grease the components of your bike that dirt and water might sneak into.
We probably don’t need to tell you to dress warmly when commuting on your eBike this winter. But you’re not the only one that needs to stay cozy. If you have a longer commute, consider purchasing a neoprene cover for your bike battery to ensure it performs at the level you need. Cold air can zap the charge.
And finally, it’s winter. It’s cold. It’s snowy. Drivers don’t always expect to see a brave bicyclist enjoying the fresh outdoors, so it’s more important than ever for eBike commuters to be aware.
December 2022 I 9
Tissot Gentleman Powermatic 80 Open Heart
Give the gift of time this holiday season with Tissot’s Powermatic 80 Open Heart. An automatic watch crafted with precision and powered by the energy of the person who wears it. This sophisticated timepiece is water resistant and boasts over 80 hours of power reserve, ensuring precise visibility with SuperLuminova Technology.
Oura Oura Gen3 Horizon
Fashion meets function in the all-new Oura Gen3 Horizon. The perfectly round design provides 24/7 health tracking with daytime heart rate monitoring, an improved temperature system, period prediction, guided and educational content, workout heart rate monitoring, and blood oxygen (SpO2) sensing in one small and accurate package. Membership $5.99/month
Polar Polar Ignite 3
Made for an active lifestyle, this stylish fitness and wellness watch helps you live a more energized life. It tracks your sleep, activity, and heart rate to provide guidance that’s tailored to your body and lifestyle. $449.99 Polar
POLARGLOBAL POLARGLOBAL POLARGLOBAL WWW.POLAR.COM
and a 1-month free trial Oura AMARANTH FOODS WWW.OURARING.COM
12 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
$1,075 Tissot TISSOT_OFFICIAL TISSOT WWW.TISSOTWATCHES.COM
Biostrap Recover Set
This personal health monitor provides clinically reliable biometrics to help gain valuable insights on sleep, recovery, heart health and stress resilience. A game changer for athletic training, performance and general wellness.
BIOSTRAP BIOSTRAP WWW. BIOSTRAP.COM
Apple Watch Series 8
Give the gift of health this year. Apple Watch Series 8 features the beloved design of Apple Watch, with all-day 18-hour battery life, best-in-class health and safety features including all-new temperature-sensing capabilities, retrospective ovulation estimates and Crash Detection.
Coros Apex 2 Pro
Designed for performance, featuring a durable exterior and a 75h Full GPS Mode battery life, the Apex 2 Pro will help you reach your most ambitious goals. Sports performance technology that helps athletes train to be their best.
COROS_CANADA COROS CANADA WWW. COROS.CA
December 2022 I 13
Burton BURTON BURTON WWW.BURTON.COM Men’s Carbonate GORE-TEX 3L Jacket From mid-winter storms to spring sunshine, this threelayer jacket has the fit, feel, and coverage to ride through it all in comfort. $749.99 WWW.BURTON.COM Family Tree Hometown Hero Camber Snowboard Go fast, blast, and dodge through trees with a board built with acute attention to detail to keep the ride lively in all conditions and terrain. $799.99 WWW.BURTON.COM Women’s Carbonate GORE-TEX 2L One Piece Flight suit meets GORE-TEX for durable weather protection with the technical features, dialed fit, and easy-moving feel. $629.99 WWW.BURTON.COM 16 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Nancy Lopez Golf
Ashley 18-Piece Cart Bag Package Set – Rhythm
New and improved Ashley 18pc Package Set continues their tradition of manufacturing high-quality, well-balanced, easy-to-hit golf clubs. This package set includes the new Ashley 14⁰ Aluminum Driver, 3/5 Aluminum Fairway Woods, 4/5 Aluminum Hybrid Woods, 7/8/9/PW/SW Stainless Steel Irons, Putter and New Lightweight 600d Nylon fashionable cart bag and polyester/nylon headcovers.
Nancy Lopez Golf
NANCYLOPEZGOLF NANCY LOPEZ GOLF
Everlast Balance Elite
Everlast is the global leader in boxing and fitness equipment. The Everlast Balance Elite is an innovative fitness tool that engages every muscle for an effective total body workout.
On Cloudflyer 4
On’s new generation Cloudflyer 4s gives you supreme cushioning plus premium comfort – including their plushest ever tongue. With bigger, dual-density CloudTec®, you’ll feel supported as you get ready to soar to new heights.
ON_RUNNING ON WWW. ON-RUNNING.COM
December 2022 I 17
Fresh Foam X Hierro
The Fresh Foam X Hierro is a dedicated, off-road application of New Balance’s best running technology. It employs a Vibram® Megagrip outsole to create a protective shell of durability and traction around the signature Fresh Foam X cushioning and a breathable, lightweight upper.
Bracelayer KX2 Alpine Thermal Compression Pant with Knee Support
The Men’s & Women’s KX2 Alpine pant is built on an antibacterial thermal compression base and features a thin layer of perforated neoprene around the knees and hips for improved stability and support. Perfect for all your winter adventures.
Power in Motion Heated Ski Glove
Gift the #1 best selling heated glove in Canada. Using high heat 12v batteries, you can be confident in conquering the cold this winter! Use promo code IMPACT15 for 15% off!
Power in Motion
POWER IN MOTION POWER IN MOTION WWW. MOTIONHEAT.CA
18 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Team Unisex Parka
Unisex Fleece Hooded Sweatshirt
Speedo SPEEDOCANADA SPEEDO CANADA SPEEDO CANADA
$149.50 SPEEDO CANADA
cozy soft inner
provides extra warmth
fast drying time. Easily rolls up to take with
anywhere. Absolutely perfect for any amateur
the most seasoned pro.
Every swimmer could use this super soft and warm, pullover fleece brushed inside for added warmth. Features include a drawstring hood, and a front kangaroo pocket. $69.50 SPEEDO CANADA 2.0 Speed Socket 2.0 Mirrored Swim Goggles These mirrored goggles reduce glare from the water in bright conditions and protects from direct sunlight, while the curved goggle lenses reduce drag and increase panoramic viewing underwater. $45 SPEEDO CANADA Teamster 2.0 Backpack A large main compartment and hidden front ventilated pocket stores all your gear, and the durable exterior shell is built tough with abrasion resistance for demanding athletes. $89.50 SPEEDO CANADA December 2022 I 19
Expedition Down Jacket W
A long and well-insulated down jacket for really cold winter climates! A beloved Fjällräven classic from 1974 is here with an updated fit for women. A warm hood and generous pockets with extra openings lets you put your hands in from the sides, and is padded with highquality ethically produced down. $900
Expedition Down Knickers
These lightweight down shorts are perfect for ski touring and day-to-day use as well as an extra layer over shell trousers when taking a break, or as an insulating mid-layer on cold days. Fulllength side zippers make putting on/ taking off easy, even with skis or boots on. Made from recycled polyamide and padded with ethically produced down.
Canada Shirt M
1960 Logo Hat
This rib-knitted hat in soft, warm lambswool has two-layer knitting with a wide folded edge. It channels moisture, insulates in wet conditions, and is easily packable. The embroidered Fjällräven emblem finishes the front design. $65
A robust, warm flannel shirt made with recycled wool combines the warmth of wool with the durability of synthetic fibres. Details are in G-1000 Eco on the inside of the collar, cuffs, pocket flaps and front opening. Works well as both a light jacket on mild autumn days and as a insulating mid layer on cold outings in the mountains. $195
FJCANADA_CA FJALLRAVENCANADA WWW.FJALLRAVEN.COM
20 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Embrace the Holidays Around Canada
We’ve got your must-dos in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto to make your holiday season extra special
BY EMILY MEYER LINDSAY ELLIOT IMPACT assistant editor, fitness and travel enthusiast in Calgary, AB. EMILY.MEYER.TRAVELTALES EMILY MEYER
Admit it – the second the clock hit midnight on November 1, you abandoned your love of pumpkin spice and Halloween and went full fledged into the Christmas spirit. Certainly, you are not alone in your love of the holiday season. After all, who can resist a peppermint hot chocolate, the sparkle of Christmas lights, the cheery tunes and glistening trees in the windows of the quiet homes lining our streets?
And in the spirit of the holidays, we’ve compiled your to-do list this Christmas season from coast to coast.
For our west coast friends, Christmas isn’t always represented with snowy laneways and frosty noses, but that doesn’t mean Vancouver doesn’t go all out to bring the holiday spirit alive. That’s why the first thing on your to-do list this season is to stop by the Capilano Bridge.
The bridge and surrounding canyon come alive with the magic of the holidays with close to 500,000 lights and holiday decorations.
From November 19 – January 22, cross the world-famous suspension bridge lined end-to-end with twinkling lights and take in the illuminated valley below.
Then celebrate the holidays in the most quintessential way possible by visiting the German-themed outdoor Vancouver Christmas Market. Find unique holiday gifts, enjoy the lights and entertainment, and indulge in delicious food, authentic German drinks, and top off your time with a sweet treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
The market is open from now until Christmas Eve.
For many in the Calgary area, ZOOLIGHTS has become a holiday tradition. For the 26th year, the magical experience is back at the Calgary Zoo. Visit the North Pole, enjoy the many light displays and immersive experiences, including the enchanting Garden of Light, warm your hands by the fire and connect with the animals that love the cold.
On now until January 8, ZOOLIGHTS is the perfect place to get into the holiday spirit.
Who doesn’t love a good farmer’s market? Well, the Calgary Farmer’s Market has gotten even better (if that’s possible to believe!) and transformed into the Calgary Christmas Market, where you can find something unique and fun for everyone on your list. Enjoy food, festivities, treats, and thoughtfully crafted goods. You can even visit Santa’s reindeer, say hello to Santa, and snap a pic with the Grinch.
On now until December 23.
Grab your skates, Torontonians, and hit the ice at Nathan Philips Square. Although the rink is open from the end of November through until March, there’s something special about skating here at Christmas, surrounded by the twinkling lights and holiday tunes. When you’re done, grab a hot chocolate and pop across the street to the Eaton Centre to take in Canada’s largest Christmas tree.
And for a Toronto Christmas favourite that can’t be missed, visit the Distillery Winter Village, formally the Toronto Christmas Markets. With traditional festivities including live entertainment, Santa and his elves, and of course, gorgeous light displays, this is the perfect place to satisfy your need for holiday cheer. Treat yourself to holiday sweets, peruse for the perfect holiday gifts and explore the different vendors below the sparkling lights.
Open now until December 31.
December 2022 I 23
Little Vegan Treats
M*lk Chocolate Christmas Trees
Little Vegan Treats is here for your taste buds this holiday season. From gorgeous gift boxes to sweet stocking stuffers like these adorable M*lk Chocolate Christmas Trees, we’ve got the holiday fun and flavour you want, wrapped up!
Finally, a truly SNACKABLE granola! More Granola’s large, cookie-like pieces of crunchy, freshly baked granola come in 4 dessert inspired flavours. Made of simple, good-for-you ingredients, these snackable, plant-based chunks are the perfect balance between indulgence and nutrition. $12.99
More Granola MOREGRANOLA_ WWW. MOREGRANOLA.COM
Ottawa’s Tempo Blend Coffee Crafted from two single origins to make one amazing medium blend. Pour a cup and let this blend boost your next run! Available whole bean or ground.
Treats LITTLEVEGANTREATS LITTLEVEGANTREATSCANADA WWW.
26 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
2022 Design Series Blossom Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
KitchenAid®’s Blossom Design Series Stand Mixer invites you to let your creativity flourish. The soft thyme green color and botanical accents are inspired by the aromatic herbs and edible flowers used in cooking and baking. The hammered copper bowl develops a unique patina over time, reflecting your growth as a Maker.
13-Cup Food Processor with Dicing Kit
This 13-Cup Food Processor is the right capacity for every meal-making occasion, big or small. Chop, shred, precision slice, dice, knead, mix and puree everything from fresh veggies to cheeses, doughs, sauces, salsa and so much more. The 3-in-1 feed tube reduces prep time, allowing you to process a variety of ingredient shapes and sizes.
The K400 variable speed blender's 3-part blending system easily blends even the toughest ingredients for a consistent texture. The ribbed jar design creates a powerful vortex, pulling ingredients into the unique asymmetric blade that cuts at four distinct angles, ensuring your ingredients are thoroughly blended. Experience the power of the K400 for yourself under our 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee*. *Receipt required.
December 2022 I 27
This holiday season, share the gift of abundance with us! Find a variety of healthy organic foods, everyday wellness supplements, personal care items and more at any of our locations.
Polar Joe Cold Brew
Where 21g of protein meets real coffee! Just add water & shake and you’ll have yourself a delicious, fully functional cold brew (or tea) in under 30 seconds!
Maintain your merry with Cranberry Ginger Ale gradient. Each pack comes with four reducing strengths of vodka soda: 7%, 6%, 4%, 3%, so you can keep a drink in hand without letting the holiday party get out of hand.
gradient vodka soda Gradually Reducing Alcohol System
$13.99 gradient vodka soda GRADIENTVODKASODA WWW. DRINKGRADIENT.COM
$250 Amaranth Foods AMARANTHFOODS AMARANTH FOODS AMARANTH WHOLE FOODS MARKET AT THE ENJOY CENTRE
28 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
6-pack Box $19.95 Polar Joe THEPOLARJOECO POLAR JOE CO. WWW. POLARJOE.COM
Cuisipro All Purpose Eco-Cloth
The Cuisipro All Purpose Eco-Cloth is tough on dirt but easy on the environment. A sustainable alternative to paper towels, sponges, dust and dish cloths. All Purpose Eco-Cloth is equivalent to over 40 rolls of paper towel or 6 sponges! Perfect for every stocking! $4.99 - $8.99
CUISIPRO CUISIPRO CUISIPRO.COM
7 Summits Snacks Explorer Pack
Give this delicious chocolate energized with superfoods designed to fuel your next adventure — with 15g of carbs and caffeine naturally from cocoa: this is a sports nutrition bar you look forward to eating. Use IMPACT for 15% off online From $22.50/package
7 Summits Snacks
7SUMMITSSNACKS 7 SUMMITS SNACKS WWW.SEVENSUMMITSSNACKS.COM
Clean Plant Protein
Each serving contains 30 grams of clean organic fava bean, organic pumpkin seed and organic pea protein. The perfect premium product for those allergic to or following a gluten-free or dairy-free diet. Naturally sweetened with monk fruit and stevia. Available in two flavours, chocolate or antioxidant berry blend. $88.65
December 2022 I 29
DRINKEVRFITEDGE WWW. EVRFITEDGE.COM
30 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
Shortbread cookies filled with decadent chocolate and topped with peppermint pieces for just the right ratio of peppermint to chocolate
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPHY
BY CIARRA SILLER
An Atlanta based food photographer and blogger. Creator of Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate alternative dessert blog and author of Vegan Chocolate Treats cookbook.
These gluten free vegan chocolate peppermint thumbprint cookies make a perfect addition to your Christmas cookie box.
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cook Time – 12 minutes
Total Time – 27 minutes
Makes 14 cookies
• 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. vegan butter room temperature
• 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
• 1/4 tsp. sea salt
• 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
• 1 tsp. coconut oil
• 3 Tbsp. peppermint candy pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place the vegan butter and powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand-alone mixer or a large mixing bowl if using a handheld mixer. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined. Mix in the flour and sea salt until a dough forms.
3. Separate the dough into 14 evenly sized balls and place them on the baking sheets about 1 -2 inches apart. They won't spread. Use the back of a teaspoon sized measuring spoon to press the balls down and make an indent in the center. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
4. Once cooled, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl over a small pot of simmering water. Stir the chocolate every so often until completely melted and then remove it from the heat.
5. Fill the cavities of the cookies with chocolate. Let them cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before topping with peppermint candies to ensure the candies won't sink into the chocolate.
6. Allow the chocolate to continue to cool at room temperature until solid, about 1 hour.
If your dough seems too dry and is not coming together, you can add 1 teaspoon of water until the dough comes together.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 236; protein 1 g; fat 11 g; carbs 18 g.
December 2022 I 31
Chewy Pecan Pie Cookies
A sophisticated treat, these cookies hit all the right marks
BY SUSAN HOY A Red Seal chef, nutrition expert & founder of Culinary Skills & Nutrition in Cochrane, AB. CULINARYSKILLSANDNUTRITION FLORAFOODSMEALDELIVERY
Nutrition-packed with no refined sugar of any kind, these cookies are gluten free and so easy to make. You don’t even need a bowl. With just five ingredients, they’ll be fresh out of the oven in 20 minutes. Go ahead, indulge guilt-free!
Serving: makes 14 cookies
• 25 palm dates
• 1 cup chopped pecan pieces
• 3 Tbsp. quick cooking oats
• 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 14 pecan halves
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. In a food processor, pulverize the chopped pecan pieces until they resemble coarse bread crumbs. Add dates and blend again until fully incorporated, resembling coarse bread crumbs as well.
3. Add oats, maple syrup and salt to the processor and blend until the mixture is thoroughly combined, about 20 seconds.
4. Scoop cookies onto a lined baking tray using a ¾ oz. scoop and lightly flatten with the palm of your hand into two-inch cookies. Top each one with a pecan half.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown and the tops look cooked.
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 104; protein 1 g; fat 6 g; carbs 12 g.
32 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
December 2022 I 33
Healthy Holiday Gingerbread Cookies
Nothing says the holidays like melt-in-your-mouth gingerbread cookies
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPHY
BY SARAH BRITTON
Cookbook author, host of Food Network Canada’s The Substitute Baker, creator of My New Roots Grow, Holistic Nutritionist & Certified Nutritional Practitioner in Toronto, ON.
MYNEWROOTS MY NEW ROOTS
Makes at least 2 dozen medium-sized cookies
• 2 ½ cups whole spelt flour
• ¼ tsp. fine grain sea salt
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• 1 Tbsp. ground ginger (or less if you prefer more mild gingerbread)
• 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp. ground cloves
• ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
• 5 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
• ½ cup coconut sugar
• ½ cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses
• 3 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Sift the dry ingredients together.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil, then whisk in the molasses, applesauce, and vanilla.
3. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, and fold to combine – you may need to use your hands to mix this, but don’t overwork the dough. Fold just until the ingredients come together evenly. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, make a ball, then flatten into a large disc. Wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap and cut in half. Wrap one half and return it to the fridge. Place the other half of the dough between two pieces of baking paper and roll out (if it is very stiff, you may need to let it warm up just slightly). Remove the top half of the paper and cut out desired shapes with a cookie cutter or a knife. Slide a knife or thin egg lifter under each shape and place on a lined baking sheet. Ball up the scraps of dough, roll it out between the parchment and start again. Once the dough becomes too warm, return it to the fridge and repeat the entire process with the other half of the chilled dough.
5. Place cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes (7 minutes produces a softer, chewier cookie, while 10 minutes produces a crispier one). Remove from oven and let cool on pan. Decorate with the Cashew Cacao Icing if desired.
Cashew-Cacao Butter Icing
Makes about ¾ cup
• ½ cup cashews
• a few pinches of sea salt
• 3 Tbsp. cacao butter, melted
• 1 ½ Tbsp. liquid sweetener of your choice
• ½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped
• 3 Tbsp. hot water
1. Soak cashews with sea salt for four hours, or overnight.
6. Drain, rinse and place cashews in the most powerful blender you have along with all other ingredients. Blend on high until as smooth as possible.
7. Pour into a piping bag and store in the fridge until it firms up, about 2 hours, then use. Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer. If you do not have a piping bag, you can also use sandwich bag with a teeny corner snipped off, which is what I did!
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 137; protein 2 g; fat 6 g; carbs 20 g.
December 2022 I 35
Vegan Shortbread Cookies
Sweet, buttery, delicate, and melt-in-your-mouth vegan shortbread cookies
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPHY BY HANNAH SUNDERANI
Founder and creator of Two Spoons in Toronto, ON. TWOSPOONS.CA TWO SPOONS
This is an easy vegan shortbread cookie recipe made with only seven ingredients, which you likely already have in your pantry.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Serving: makes 16 cookies
• 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (more if needed)
• 1/4 cup icing sugar
• 1/4 cup almond flour (ground blanched almonds)
• 1/8 tsp. sea salt, finely ground
• 1/2 cup vegan butter, cold
• 2 Tbsp. agave
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
FOR THE GLAZE
• 3/4 cup icing sugar
• 1-2 Tbsp. almond milk (splashes more if needed)
• dried rose petals (optional for garnish)
• candied sprinkles (optional for garnish)
1. Sift the flour, icing sugar, almond flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Chop the vegan butter into chunks and add to the bowl. Massage together with your hands to form a shaggy dough.
2. Pour in the agave and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Turn the dough onto a clean work surface and bring together to form a dough ball. (If the dough seems too wet, add up to 2 tablespoons more flour and knead to combine. See notes for my preferred vegan butter brand). Cover the dough with reusable wrap (or plastic wrap) and chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sprinkle the work surface with flour and roll the dough into a sheet, 1/4-inch thick. Cut round circles into the dough using a round cookie cutter (I used a 2½-inch/ 6½ cm cutter).
4. Place the cookies onto the baking sheets and pop back in the fridge. Gather the dough scraps together to reform a dough ball, and roll out one more time, 1/4-inch thick. Cut out more cookies with cookie cutter. Place onto the baking sheets.
5. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden in colour. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Make the glaze by sifting the icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the almond milk, a tablespoon at a time, and whisk together. (Add more almond milk, a teaspoon at a time, if desired for your preferred glaze consistency).
7. Turn the cookies upside-down and dip into frosting to coat the tops. Place back on the baking tray, icing side up. Garnish with dried rose petals and candied sprinkles. Enjoy as is, or place the cookies in fridge until icing has hardened (about 2 hours).
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 133; protein 1 g; fat 7 g; carbs 17 g.
Cookies will keep in the fridge for up to one week. Store in an airtight container. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
If you don't have a round cookie cutter, you can also use a juice cup turned upside down.
For this recipe, I used the vegan butter brand Miyokos. It's very similar to butter in taste and texture, and results in a light and crumbly cookie. If using a softer, more margarine style vegan butter, you'll likely need to add more flour to this recipe. Sprinkle the dough with up to 2 Tbsp. more flour as you knead into a dough ball in step 2, if the dough seems too wet to handle. Cover and chill in the fridge to harden.
This recipe can easily be doubled to make 32 cookies.
36 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
December 2022 I 37
Chocolate Candy Cane Sandwich Cookies
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPHY BY LAUREN TOYOTA
Creator of hot for food blog. One of IMPACT Magazine’s Top Vegan influencers, content producer and author based in Los Angeles, CA.
HOTFORFOOD HOT FOR FOOD BLOG
Who can say no to chocolate cookies filled with creamy homemade peppermint frosting? The candy cane bits around the outer edge add a sweet crunch and make them picture-perfect, too. It’s like a giant Christmas Oreo, except fresh and homemade!
Prep Time – 50 minutes Cook Time – 6 minutes Refrigerate – 2 hours Makes 24 cookies
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
• 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
• 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1 Tbsp. vegan butter, softened to room temperature (or use margarine)
• 3 Tbsp. warm water
• 5 drops food grade peppermint essential oil or 1/4 tsp. – 1/2 tsp. of peppermint extract
• 2 candy canes
Make them for someone you love, or bring a bunch to a cookie swap. These Christmas cookies are sure to be a hit!
1. Sift flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda into a large mixing bowl and stir with a fork or whisk to combine well.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, cream the butter with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer until whipped and smooth. Add in the sugar and continue whipping for 30 seconds to 1 minute until well combined and fluffy. Add the vanilla and gradually add the non-dairy milk while continuing to whip the mixture together until combined.
3. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a spatula or wooden spoon. Once mostly combined, I find it easiest to combine the dough with my hands until a smooth ball is formed.
4. Split the dough into 2 equal portions and place each portion into a piece of plastic wrap. Roll it out with your hands between the plastic to form a log approximately 2 inches wide. Try to flatten the ends as best as you can so you have a cylinder shape. Wrap up the 2 logs in the plastic wrap and tightly secure the ends. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours until firm.
5. If you used margarine, you will have quite a soft dough in comparison. Split it into 2 portions and wrap it in wax paper or plastic wrap and flatten to a thick disc. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. For this version, you will then roll out the dough with a rolling pin between the wax paper or plastic wrap until it’s about 1/4-inch thick. Don’t roll it out onto a floured surface as the excess flour will affect the cookie dough. Then cut out 2-inch to 2 1/2-inch cookies with a round cookie cutter. Place the cut-out cookies onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
6. For the butter version, remove the logs from the fridge and unwrap them. Using a sharp knife, cut rounds 1/4-inch thick. Place the cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 5 to 6 minutes
in an oven preheated to 350 F. Allow the cookies to cool completely before frosting.
7. For the peppermint frosting, sift half the confectioners’ sugar into a large mixing bowl that contains the butter. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until combined. While continuing to beat with the mixer, gradually add a bit of the warm water and then more sifted confectioners’ sugar until it’s all well incorporated and you have a smooth and spreadable, but still slightly stiff frosting. It shouldn’t be dripping! Then stir in the peppermint oil or extract with a spatula. Depending on the peppermint oil you’re using, just start with 2 drops and add more if necessary.
8. You can crush the candy cane a few different ways. In a heavy-duty zipper bag and bash it with a rolling pin, with a mortar and pestle, or I prefer to pulse them in a coffee grinder. You want small pieces, but not completely pulverized to dust. Pour the candy pieces into a small bowl.
9. To assemble the sandwich cookies, spread 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of frosting onto the bottom of a cookie with a small icing spatula.
10. Place another cookie on top and lightly press so there is some frosting coming out the sides. Then sprinkle crushed candy canes all along the sides of the sandwich, letting the pieces stick to the frosting and the excess fall back into the bowl.
11. You may find the frosting starting to dry out once you get through half the cookies. To fix this, just add a couple drops of water and stir it up again to keep it smooth. You could also make the cookies with just one chocolate cookie, spread some frosting on top just out to the edges and sprinkle the entire thing with crushed candy cane.
12. Allow the cookies to dry at room temperature before storing between layers of parchment paper in a container. Store at room temperature for a few days. For longer storage, you can freeze these cookies and thaw them at room temperature before serving them at holiday parties and potlucks!
NOTE: A note about vegan butter vs margarine: I use a vegan butter product that is the same texture as real butter, so when refrigerated it’s cold and solid. You want to let this soften in the mixing bowl on the counter to room temperature. It can have a slight chill in the centre still but it should whip easily with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer without much help. Margarine on the other hand is always soft, even when refrigerated. You can use this instead, but there is a different technique to forming the cookies, as outlined in the instructions above.
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 212; protein 2 g; fat 9 g; carbs 32 g.
December 2022 I 39
What is DHM? Dihydromyricetin, from the Japanese raisin tree is has been used in Eastern medicine to treat liver ailments for centuries. The same function that protects your liver, also reduces or eliminates hangovers. The science is simple, DHM rapidly scrubs the toxic by-product of alcohol, acetaldehyde, from your body. By boosting your liver and metabolising by-products, the result is that DHM provides liver protection, even after a single drink.
‘Tis the season to socialize with family and friends. If that means indulging more than usual, or just a festive cocktail or two, consider adding DHM to your shopping list. While these benefits have been known and used in Asia for a long time, DHM is just starting to make its way to Canada. Activate DHM, a Canadian product, uses 98% pure DHM and is a Health Canada approved liver protectant.
Activate DHM is sold by Bomb Squad Nutrition ltd. based in Winnipeg, MB. Activate DHM is also loaded with Milk Thistle and B-vitamins. Canadian made with free shipping Canada-wide. Try risk free with a 30-day money back guarantee on your first single bottle purchase. Activate DHM is vegan, gluten free, and nut free.
Always drink responsibly. Activate DHM is designed to combat the negative effects of alcohol consumption, not to encourage excessive consumption.
Happy Holidays from Bomb Squad Nutrition!
$36 (20% off) sale ends
31, 2022 Activate
ACTIVATE_DHM ACTIVATEDHM WWW.ACTIVATE-DHM.C A Activate
Protect your liver this holiday season with all-natural DHM
MyBlueprint DNA-Based Nutrition & Lifestyle Report
Looking for a special gift for the person who has everything? Celebrate what makes them unique with cutting-edge technology that identifies their distinct genetic variations. MyBlueprint™ DNA kits are perfect for everyone on your list! $300
AORHEALTH AORHEALTH WWW.AOR.CA
Cold & Flu Immune Boosting Botanicals
Stuff your stockings with immune defense in a bottle. Cold & Flu contains a potent combo of cold fighting and immune boosting nutrients including Andrographis, zinc and Tinospora. $44.25 AOR
AORHEALTH AORHEALTH WWW.AOR.CA
Pain Relieving Kinesiology Tape
Infused with magnesium, menthol and a dose of style, HEALI is a therapeutic kinesiology tape that has reinvented pain relief, naturally and is available in various stylish designs. $24.99 HEALI
HEALIMEDICAL HEALI MEDICAL WWW. SPORTCHEK.CA
42 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Genestra Sleep Gummies
Introducing Genestra Sleep Gummies! These vegan raspberry-tea flavoured gummies contain 0.5g of melatonin to help you fall asleep faster, and stay asleep longer. Available at select health food stores across Canada or online at retailers like well.ca and amazon.ca. $27.50
GENESTRABRANDSCA GENESTRA BRANDS CANADA WWW.WELL.CA
Smart Body Composition Scale
The InBody H20N is a state of the art at-home scale. By placing an increased emphasis on the importance of whole-body composition over weight, this device will provide you with valuable, accurate insights and personalized results in seconds. $469
INBODYCANADA INBODY CANADA WWW. INBODYCANADA.CA
The Gift of Recovery & Pain Relief
The Travel Roller® provides therapeutic massage to the entire body & it’s inner storage fits tension release balls or a bottle of wine for the perfect holiday present! Gift a ROLL YOURSELF HEALTHY - Online Master Class with Arysta Bogner, the creator of the original Travel Roller®.
TRAVELROLLERGIRL @TRAVELROLLER WWW.TRAVELROLLER.COM 1.888.342.8884
$20 - $425 SAVE 15%: ROLL15 Travel Roller®
December 2022 I 43
44 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Vivier Vivier QUINTISERUM
QUINTISERUM is Vivier’s latest serum, the quintessence of ageless skin is enriched with 15% Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and 5 Peptides, known to improve skin elasticity, and promote collagen production for your most luminous youthful complexion.
VIVIERSKIN VIVIERSKIN WWW.VIVIERSKIN.CA
Aveeno Calm + Restore Nourishing Oat Cleanser
Aveeno Calm+Restore Nourishing Oat Cleanser gently cleanses and hydrates sensitive skin while preserving the skin’s natural moisture barrier. The cleanser is made with nourishing oat and calming feverfew. This hypoallergenic tested product from Aveeno comes with 232-millilitres of fragrance-free cleanser.
first certified organic Boswellia sacra (frankincense).
Yard Remedies Frankincense Intense
$319.00 Neal’s Yard Remedies
Age-Defying Collection A complete beauty ritual to visibly smooth and plump fine lines and wrinkles, our Frankincense Intense Age-Defying Collection is the ultimate age well, stress less routine. Made with the world's
December 2022 I 45
Aveeno AVEENOCA AVEENO WWW. AVEENO.CA
5075 11 St. SE, Calgary, AB FITTERFIRST FITTERFIRST
Naboso Sensory Sticks
The power of Naboso textured stimulation in the palm of your hands. At 2 lbs each, the Naboso Sensory Sticks combine texture and weight for an instant brain body connection. Use them to enhance your grip, to challenge your workout or to release foot and hand stiffness.
The ultimate foam roller for treating arm and leg pain, using leverage instead of gravity. The unique design allows you to create the same pressure and precision as a therapist's thumb. Ideal for treating tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, plantar fasciitis, tight calves, quads and hamstrings from the comfort of your own home.
Pro Fitter Ski Trainer
Ski better with Pro Fitter! It’s great for all ages and fitness levels. Enjoy low-impact workouts that are easy on your joints, reduce the risk of injury, improve performance while increasing your confidence.
48 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
Eleviia Chin Up Set
The first truly portable doorway exercise equipment built with versatility in mind. Ready to use out of the box with a specialized spiral spring keeps it safely secured on your doorway. Carry-on friendly and very easy to both install and use, it's loved by American Ninja warriors, climbers and fitness enthusiasts.
Naboso Splay works to realign toe position and restore overall foot shape. By stretching the small muscles of the toes, Splay toe separators help to improve balance, stability, gait and posture.
Wave Soft Tissue Release Tool
From the biggest muscle groups to the smallest tendon, this muscle scraping and soft tissue release tool can treat them all. Nine different multi shaped massage surfaces and Guasha edges effectively treat myofascial pain. Designed by a Colorado-based physical therapist and professional rock climber for tissue wellness and health maintenance.
Professional Balance Board Kit
Integrate balance challenges into all aspects of your life with the Fitterfirst Professional Balance Boards. See increases in balance, coordination, and agility while improving strength in core and stabilizing muscles in the lower body. There’s a board for everyone from seniors rehabbing to athletes and fitness trainers.
5075 11 St. SE,
AB Visit Us At Our NEW LOCATION December 2022 I 49
MNP Community & Sport Centre
The Gift of Fitness –12 Days of Fitness Pass
This holiday season get a 12-admission pass for the price of 10. With access to over 80 group fitness classes, 25,000 sq. ft. Fitness Centre, 2 Olympic size pools, there is something for everyone under the tent. $139
MNP Community & Sport Centre MNPSPORTCENTRE MNPSPORTCENTRE MNPCENTRE.COM
Westside Recreation Centre
The Best You Can Be in 2023 –
The 30-Day Pass
This 30-consecutive-day pass gives you access to the fitness centre, drop-in fitness classes, 430m running track, aquatic centre, gym sports, climbing wall, leisure skating and more! Can be applied to an annual membership or monthly pass. $135
Westside Recreation Centre
Restore and Invigorate
Give a one-month Unlimited Intro Card at only $49 (first time users), or a monthly membership at $109/month. Both include unlimited in-person and livestream drop-in classes, video on demand. Over 20 styles of yoga and two locations to choose from.
From $25 Drop-in to $200 10 Class Card
Experience the best workout in the world! Barry’s is the original HIIT workout (50% treadmill, 50% strength), founded in West Hollywood in 1998. Barry’s Calgary hosts the top instructors who will push you to your best. After class, experience our smoothie Fuel Bar.
WESTSIDE RECREATION CENTRE WESTSIDEREC WWW.WESTSIDEREC.COM
BARRYSCANADA BARRYSCANADA WWW.BARRYS.COM
50 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
YOGASANTOSHA YOGA SANTOSHA, CALGARY WWW.YOGASANTOSHA.CA
The Lake Louise Ski Resort
Multi-Hill Ski Pass
Never pay full price to ski or ride again! The Lake Louise Plus Card includes Lake Louise, Panorama, Castle and RED. Get 3 FREE days plus 20% off paid visits and discounts on hotels, dining, retail and more. On sale now for $129 until December 24th and is a great stocking stuffer for the skier in your family!
The Lake Louise Plus Card
Merino Wool Throw Blanket
Canadian sleep leader Endy brings comfort and style to the next level with its new Merino Wool Throw Blanket. Made from 100% Australian wool, it’s the perfect cold weather gift.
Southcentre Mall Gift Card
On the first day of Christmas Southcentre brought to me, a gift card to use for my shopping spree! A perfect gift for the fitness and sports person in your life – Decathlon, Lululemon, Sport Chek, Sporting Life, and more … you decide!
Minimum $10 (to any amount)
No Show Camel Toe Undies
Not all underwear are created equal, and these undies provide you with proper coverage and comfort. Constructed of an innovative bamboo charcoal insert, HUX are anti-odor, moisture-wicking, antibacterial and comfy AF.
Absolute GAME CHANGERS - the perfect blend of performance and function!
December 2022 I 51
Cheers to Consistency Over the Holiday Season
Tips on staying motivated during the festive season
BY KELSEY ROSE SHANE MALCOLM
Fitness and lifestyle coach (CPT) inspiring others to live a healthy active lifestyle. Kelsey developed her own online platform called Sweat with Kelsey, which is an on-demand app focussing on follow-along home/gym workouts that are accessible to users worldwide.
THEKELSEYROSE KELSEY ROSE FITNESS
Motivation and willpower have come to be seen as buzzwords more than anything else these days. Whether you’re bogged down and busy at work or feeling the pressure of holiday events around every corner, finding the time to motivate yourself to move can seem impossible.
But it’s not. It’s about actually putting those buzzwords into action. Finding ways to create motivation and willpower for yourself will change the way you get things done in so many areas of your life, even during the busiest of seasons. This is exactly why, when I’m feeling like doing anything else but working out, I tap into these tried and true practices, letting my altered mindset take over.
Because, yes, spoiler alert, even trainers don’t feel like training sometimes!
Here are some tricks you can use to help get you pumped and stay on track during the holliest, jolliest (and busiest) season.
TRY A NEW WORKOUT CLASS
Keep things exciting. If you feel like you’re getting bored of your current routine, scope out the studios in your area for a free trial or promotion. Not only will you be stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new, but you might just find yourself motivated enough to keep coming back.
TREAT YOURSELF TO A NEW ACTIVE SET
I can’t be the only one who genuinely gets excited for a workout when I have a brand new cute outfit to put on for it — right? Whether you shop at Old Navy or Alo, there are great, affordable, and stylish options with which to update your activewear. I swear by this little trick. Everyone loves to feel good in what they’re wearing — your gym clothes shouldn’t be any different.
FIND A WORKOUT BESTIE
Accountability can be so imperative to your success when it comes to keeping consistent. If you and your bestie commit to doing a five-kilometre morning walk every other day, between competitiveness and the fear of letting one another down, before you know it you’ll have built a new habit. You can even try out that new studio class together. Whatever you do, commit to doing it together and the likeliness of going through with it skyrockets.
SCHEDULE YOUR SWEAT
I don’t know about you, but for me, scheduling is one of the most effective ways I hold myself accountable. I can’t be the only one who feels immense amounts of pleasure in crossing off an item from my to-do list or daily schedule. So if you want to keep consistent, put it in your calendar. Set a reminder the night before so you can
prepare your workout space, and just show up. That’s all it takes! Once you get it done one day, two days, three days in a row… it becomes easier and easier every time.
SET REALISTIC GOALS
When you’re setting yourself up for goals you know you won’t achieve, you’re setting yourself up for failure. You’re only human, and there’s no way a healthy human can lose 10 pounds in five days, especially when there are family dinners scheduled every other night. So, set goals you know you can achieve, and you’ll find yourself feeling more and more excited to work towards them. A workout every single day might not be possible, but movement itself definitely is. Walk to your destination rather than Uber, take the stairs instead of the elevator… you get the point.
You’ll enjoy your holiday season so much more when you actually make time for yourself, your health, and your wellness. Not only will your mind be clearer and more in tune for the social aspect the holidays bring, but you’ll step into January with pre-established goals and habits that set you up for a bright new year.
Life’s all about balance, and now is when you need to tap into that balancing act more than ever. What better gift to give yourself?
52 | IMPACT Magazine Holiday Gift Guide
If you feel like you’re getting bored of your current routine, scope out the studios in your area for a free trial or promotion.
December 2022 I 53
New pain relief technology now authorized by Health Canada for home use
Pain affects so many of us. It can rob you of your happiness and affect your day-to-day life. “Most people end up “living” with their pain, because they can’t seem to find something to manage their pain between appointments,” says Dr. Michael Ho.
Dr. Michael Ho is a caring Doctor of Chiropractic and Acupuncture with a special interest in treating patients with painful conditions relating to their muscles, joints, and nerves. With 30 years of expertise in treating neck, back & feet pain, he focuses on treating the cause of the pain, earning him international recognition for his patient care and expertise.
With his years of clinical experience, extensive knowledge of the human body, and innovative thinking, Dr. Ho has developed and formulated a line of products with new, proprietary AMP technology authorized by Health Canada as a pain relief medical device for home use.
These products are more than just a TENS device. The AMP technology built into his products now combine four forms of therapy in one: (1) TENS therapy, (2) EMS therapy, (3) NMES therapy, and (4) auto-modulation. Together, they provide real pain therapy to help relieve pain, alleviate arthritis pain, increase circulation, and even help manage chronic pain.
After over 30 years of helping people with pain, many patients, customers, and doctors have recommended DR-HO’S products to their friends and family.
“I developed these products because patients need a device they can use at home,” says Dr. Ho.
The new AMP technology are now available in 3 specialized devices:
• The Circulation Promoter – Designed with a specialized foot platform to help relieve foot and leg pain, including sciatica related pain.
• The Neck Pain Pro – Ergonomically designed to relieve neck and shoulder pain, including tension related headaches.
• The Triple Action Back Belt – A unique belt with 3 ways to help relieve your back pain: (1) An inflatable lumbar support cushion, (2) Dual core compression bands, and (3) built-in pads to deliver pain therapy and help relieve back pain.
www.drhonow.com Use the checkout code “IMPACT” at www.drhonow.com to receive a FREE Foot & Leg Therapy system with the purchase of a Circulation Promoter, Neck Pain Pro or Triple Action Back Belt bundle.