The Homestead 208 Dodd Road Commerce, Georgia 30529
The Homestead Privately situated on over 450 acres this significant, historic property is being offered for sale for the first time in over 150 yrs. First settled in 1796 and originally 1200ac the property was the boy hood home of Georgia Governor Candler 1898-1902. The 5 bedroom main house was built in 1896, and has been completely restored. A log home (built in 1815) is situated on an 8 acre lake and is surrounded by the magnificent woodland gardens and pastures that are the centerpiece of the property. Over 1000 varieties of Rhododendron, magnolias, camellias, maples and tulip poplars have been planted. The property also consists of an additional 3 bdrm/2bath home built in 1995, a 2 stall barn with tack room and irrigation systems throughout the property. The property is low maintenance and absolutely magnificent.
History Of The Homestead This farm, once called “Phidelta”, was settled in 1796 by Samuel Pruitt from Virginia. It encompassed 1200 acres before The Civil War and now is just the central portion of that land. It is significant in the history of Banks County because his son John was State Representative from Franklin County from 1855 through 1858 and the county was created from Franklin County in 1958. He was the first Senator from Banks County and built the courthouse in 1860. This and his home were the only brick buildings in the county. The house burned in 1892 and was replaced by the present house in 1896. Phidelta had a post office, masonic lodge, store and school. Before the Civil War, the lodge was moved to the county seat in 1915 but is still called “Phidelta”. The store was operated by Mr. Candler, whose son was a youth here and was governor of Georgia in the 1870’s. Governor Candler’s sister is buried here. In the center of the farm is a secluded valley where we built a small (8 acre) lake in 1957. The giant oaks and tulip-poplars on the hillsides around the lake were the inspiration for a woodland garden. There is a great assortment of native wildflowers: lilies, trilliums, Solomon seal, hepaticas. Into this setting have been planted many Rhododendron varieties, probably the largest number in the East: carnelian, magnolias, maples, and many other trees and shrubs. Moss paths meander through the plantings. The garden has been visited at various times by the American Rhododendron Society, Maple Society, various university groups and others. The garden is low maintenance because of its woodland setting and naturalistic planting schemes. Irrigation is installed throughout in the woodland as well as near the house. A log house built in 1815 was moved to a site by the lake and is a centerpiece for the garden. It has a large deck and is ideal for parties. There is a bedroom upstairs. The remainder of the farm is a mix of woodlands and grasslands, with a good deer and wild turkey population. Quail hunting is a possibility due to the mix of woods and open areas. The lake is stocked with bass and bream, and it is fun to put trout in at fall and fish for them through the winter and spring. It is hoped that a new owner will maintain and even expand the gardens. There is a collection of rare tress in the nursery available for planting if desired. -Written By Willis Harden
Property Features Include • • • • • • • •
• • •
• • • •
The main house consists of 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms Gracious living room opens to beautiful dining room with fireplace. Handsome wood paneled study with built in bookshelves Hardwood floors throughout the entire home Stunning music room with vaulted ceiling and fireplace. Master bedroom on main floor with walk-in closets. The main house built in 1896 has been completely restored A log home (1815) is situated on the 8 acre lake and is surrounded by the magnificent woodland gardens and pastures that are the centerpiece of the property. An additional 3 bedroom/2 bathroom home built in 1995 is also located on the property Two stall barn with tack room Privately situated on over 450 acres this significant, historic property is being offered for sale for the first time in over 150 yrs. Over 1000 varieties of Rhododendron, magnolias, camellias, maples, tulip poplars have been planted. First settled in 1796 and originally 1200ac the property was the boy hood home of Gov. Candler 1898-1902. The property is low maintenance, completely irrigated and absolutely magnificent. The commercial nursery on the property can be purchased separately.
Offered At $2,900,000 Sister Hood
404.261.2700 office email@example.com
404.233.4142 office firstname.lastname@example.org
Buckhead Northwest Office, 3523 Northside Pkwy, Atlanta, GA 30327, 404-261-2700 â€˘ Shea Zimmerman, Managing Broker â€˘ www.harrynorman.com The above information is believed accurate, but not warranted. Offer subject to errors, changes, prior sales and withdrawals without notice. Equal Housing Opportunity.