TERESIANO SCHOOL OF ENVIGADO ENGLISH MIDTERM TEST.
NAME: _________________________________ N°.____ TEACHER:
Felipe Molina Londoño.
2. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you…. (Matthew 6:33-34) COMPETENCE: DATE:
INGLÉS PARTE 1 INTERPRETEACION DE GRÁFICAS RESPONDE LAS PREGUNTAS 1 A 10 DE ACUERDO CON LA INFORMACIÓN PRESENTADA EN LAS GRÁFICAS. EN LAS PREGUNTAS 1 A 10 MARQUE UNA DE LAS OPCIONES: A, B, C o D EN SU HOJA DE RESPUESTAS. WHERE CAN YOU SEE THE FOLLOWING SIGNS? 5.
A. B. C. D.
At a restaurant In a magazine In a TV show In internet
A. B. C. D.
In a grocery store. On a road. At an airport. In the park.
A. B. C. D.
On a porcelain box. On a building brick toy On a milk carton. Over a door handle
A. B. C. D.
At a fancy restaurant In a bus station At a bank At a department store
A. B. C. D.
On a bottle of water In courthouse At a bank In a room with air conditioning
A. B. C. D.
At a supermarket At the library At school In a store
A. B. C. D.
In a park In a hospital At the zoo In a party
A. B. C. D.
In a classroom In a museum At the bank In the street
A. B. C. D.
At a cafeteria At the zoo At the library At the pool
A. B. C. D.
In a school. In a fireplace. At a lab. In a factory.
QUESTIONS 11 – 20 CONSTRUCCIÓN DE ORACIONES SELECCIÓN MULTIPLE CON UNICA RESPUESTA: DE ACUERDO CON EL TIPO DE FRASE ESCOJA LA OPCIÓN GRAMATICAL MÁS ADECUADA QUE PERMITA COMPLETAR EL SIGNIFICADO DE LA MISMA. EN LAS PREGUNTAS 11 – 20, COMPLETE LAS CINCIO CONVERSACIONES MARCANDO A, B, C o D EN SU HOJA DE RESPUESTAS 11. What is she wearing today? A. They are wearing jeans, t-shirts and leather hats. B. She’s having a great time. C. She’s wearing a silk dress and a black jacket. D. She doesn’t like to wear in white. 12. Does Patricia speak five languages? A. Yes, she doesn’t B. Yes, she does. C. Yes, he does. D. No, she can’t. 13. I want to see a film today. A. Let’s go to the movies. B. I don’t like movies. C. We are taking a shower. D. Luisa is studying at the moment. 14. What do you want to order? A. I don’t want pasta. B. We want two hot dogs and two regular cokes, please. C. We don’t want fish. D. I want to buy a car. 15. Where did you go last summer? A. I go to the park every afternoon. B. Summer is my favourite season. C. Summer here is very hot. D. We went to a summer camp in Canada. 16. Johnny and his son Tony are looking at some family pictures. He says: A. I used to had a afro when I was younger. B. When I was younger, I used to have an afro. C. I use to had long afro when I was younger. D. When I was younger, I use to have afro.
17. Andrew and Peter are talking about the changes in temperature, ever since; global warming became a part of everyone´s daily life. Andrew says: A. This year was more hot than last week. B. Last year was as hotter as today. C. Yesterday was much hot than today. D. Last year was cooler than this year. 18. Zone of Enders is a famous game by Hideo Kojima. People all over the world have been able to play it because A. it have been formatted into diverse languages. B. it has been format into diverse languages. C. it has been formatted into diverse languages. D. it have been format into diverse languages. 19. Daniel has just found a great hobby. Today was his first day on his hunt for entertainment. His friend House asks: A. How is your hobby new, Daniel? B. How are your new hobby, Paul? C. Paul, how is your hobby? D. Paul, how did it go? 20. Jake is talking about the place where he loves to spend his time. A. Starbucks is the best American coffee shop. B. Starbucks is an lovely American shop. C. Starbucks is an American city. D. Starbucks is a lovely flower shop.
PARAGRAPH CONSTRUCTION Read the Sentences. Choose the best word for (A, B, C or D) for each space. For questions 21 - 31 Life Situations 21) “______________________ to Chicago, Veronica?” 22) I _____________________ my wrist last autumn when I 23) ______________ off the bike. It’s the most bewitching Tiramisu I 24) ________________________. Walter 25) _________________ the evening reviewing for the science exam and this morning he 26) __________________ up extremely early to continue revising. “The living room looks odd!” “Yes, we 27) __________________ it purple. What do you fancy?” He 28) _____________________ his wallet this weekend, but he 29) ___________________ it yet. Somebody 30) ______________________ my bike while we 31) _______________ at the movies.
A. Have you ever gone
B. Went to
C. You ever went to
D. Have you ever went
A. Have ever eaten
B. Have eat
C. Have ever aten
D. Have ever ate
A. Just painted
B. Just paint
C. Just wet
A. Had find
C. Hasn´t found
D. Hasn´t find
Communicative Situations Read the Sentences. Choose the statement (A, B, C or D) that best fills in the missing information for the next dialogues. For questions 32 - 41 32. Bob is watching the news on TV.
Bob: You know, the Cirque du Soleil has been here for three weeks and we still haven’t seen it. Alice: I know. _____________________________ Bob: That sounds great! A. I think it is not interesting. B. You could have told me tomorrow. C. Why don’t we call and book some tickets? D. Let’s go to the movies tomorrow.
33. John is tidying his room and his wife, Maria, is helping
him. John is throwing some things out. Maria: Frank, what a nice artwork! Frank: Which one? Sally: This one. The Rolling Stones poster. Are you going to keep it? Frank: No. Put it in the wastebasket. Sally: _____________________________ Frank: Oh, yes, I do. I like their music. But, I don’t want that artwork any more. A. Don’t you like them anymore? B. Have you heard their new song? C. Would you like a Shakira CD? D. Don’t you want to keep it?
34. Pierre is going to lend his laptop to his brother Jean. He wrote him a note. Jean, * keep in mind the laptop uses up the battery very quickly, so you’d better make sure you turn it off when you aren’t using it. * It would be better if you keep it in the computer bag especially if you take it to the park. In the note, Pierre is A. describing. B. informing. C. advising. D. commanding. 35. Mr. Hume is buying some flowers at the florist’s Mr. Hume: Do you have any roses? Florist : Absolutely! How many do you want? Mr. Hume: ________________________ Florist: Twenty five pounds a dozen. Mr. Hume: O.K. Give me a half dozen, please. A. How many tulips do you need? B. How many is it? C. How much are they? D. How much money do I need?
38. Julio is a Colombian teenager who has just arrived to Boston. He is talking to his friend Paul, but he has some problems understanding him. So, Julio says: A. Can you speak a bit faster, please so, I can understand? B. Paul, don’t speak that fast to me that I cannot understand. C. I can’t understand you. Don’t speak so slowly, please. D. Please, I can’t listen well. So, don’t speak to me. 39. Jessica is at a souvenir shop with her husband. She is buying a scale sized model of the town. Jessica: Could you tell me what it costs? Seller: 350 dollars. Jessica: Ok. Just give me a second, please. Uh oh! I can´t find my Master card. Alfred: Are you sure you brought it with you? Jessica: Of course. ______________________________ Alfred: Well, why don´t you go to the information stand? A. What to do! B. Have you seen it? C. Don´t mock me! D. What should I do?
36. An acquaintance arrives at Diana's house. Diana: What a nice surprise! Please come in. Acquaintance: Thanks a million. Diana: _____________________________ Acquaintance: Please! They´re amazingly heavy.
40. Lucy is having problems with hers computer. So, she asks her teacher for help. Lucy says: A. Can I go to the Principal’s office, please? B. It would be great if you gave me another computer. C. Would you mid helping me with the computer? It’s not working! D. Could you lend me your computer?
A. Can I help you with your belongings? B. Must I help you with your belongings? C. Should I help you with your belongings? D. Do I have to help you with your belongings? 37. Michelle has a problem with seeing what´s on the board. So, she asks her teacher to let her move. Michelle says: A. Do you mind if I get closer to the board? B. It would be great if you can give me that sandwich. C. I need that board, please give it to me. D. Would you like to sit board?
41. Lena is at the doctor’s because she hasn’t been feeling well recently. Doctor: What seems to be the problem? Lena: Well, I keep having really bad headaches and I cough a lot Doctor: Do you like smoking? Lena: Oh, no, not really. Not too much. Doctor: ___________________ Lena: well, uh, only 4 or 5. That’s all. A. How many cigarettes do you smoke a day? B. How much cigarettes do you smoke a day? C. When do you smoke? D. Do you like smoking a lot?
COINSTRUCCION DE TEXTOS QUESTION 42 - 44 READ THE TEXT ABOUT THE APPEAREANCES AND THE QUESTIONS BELOW. FOR QUESTIONS 42 – 44 MARK A, B, C o D.
THE APPEARANCES One day, on behalf of his grandfather, Alice went into the forest searching for fungi for food. She found some fungi very big and of beautiful colors, and Alice filled her basket with them. “Look granny” Alice said when she got home “I have brought the most beautiful fungi... Look how pretty is their scarlet color! There were some others more wrinkled, but I left them”.
“My child” said the old woman “the wrinkled ones are those that I have always picked up. You have been guided by the illusions and have brought home the poisonous fungi. If we ate those, we will get ill quite easily that or perhaps something worse... Alice then realized that she should not be guided by the beautiful look of things, sometimes hiding an unknown evil. 42. According to the text, we conclude that Alice: A. is carried away by appearances. B. His favorite color is scarlet. C. Make your orders wrong. D. Alice brought home the wrinkled fungi.
44. What is the tense used to write the expressions in BOLD in the text? A. Present Continuous B. Past perfect C. Present perfect D. Simple past.
43. After reading the story is understood that edible fungi are: A. The rough skin. B. Unpleasant to the touch. C. Small and dark. D. big and of beautiful colors.
QUESTION 45 - 49 READ THE STORY TALE ABOUT THE GOLDEN WALNUT AND THE QUESTIONS BELOW. FOR QUESTIONS 45 – 49 MARK A, B, C o D. The Golden Walnut The beautiful Maria, daughter of ranger, found one day, a golden walnut across the path. -I see you have found my nut. Give it back to me - said a voice behind her. Mary turned around and went to meet a tiny and skinny person wearing a scarlet tunic and a pointed hat. It could have been a child by his size, but by the cunning of his face the girl realized that it was an Elf. -Come on, you must return the walnut to its owner, the Forest Elf insisted, leaning with derision. -I'll give it back to you, if you know how many folds it has into crust. Otherwise I'll keep it, sell it and I can buy clothes for poor children, because the winter is very crude. -Let me think ..., it has 1100 folds! Mary counted. The Elf was not wrong! With tears in her eyes, she held out the walnut. -Keep it - then the Elf told her-: Your generosity has touched me. Whenever you need something, ask it the gold nut. Suddenly, the Elf disappeared. Mysteriously, the golden walnut meant clothes and food for the poor of the region. And as Mary never left out of the place, from that moment on she was called under the charming name of "Golden Nut".
45. Mary finds the golden walnut
48. Elves are recognizable by
A. on the way. B. in the forest. C. in its region. D. in her town
A. their size. B. the features of their face. C. their clothing. D. their generosity.
46. From reading the story is concluded that Mary is
49. We conclude that the golden walnut meant for the people
A. a nice person to the Elf B. sad and distrustful. C. fearful and bitter. D. honest and generous. 47. The Elf delivers the walnut to Mary because A. She has won a test. B. He found that the girl would keep his promise. C. He had many, and about the golden one he did no longer care. D. The Elf was not wrong when he counted the folds of the walnut crust.
A. great adventures. B. a fantastic story. C. meet every whim. D. many benefits.
READ THE TEXT AND QUESTIONS BELOW. FOR QUESTIONS: 50 – 55, MARK A, B OR C ON YOUR ANSWER SHEET. The Ungodly Deceit Zeus had grown tired of mankind and its unrighteousness and its lack to believe. Once Zeus had gotten his thoughts cleared and confessed what was going through his mind Poseidon and Hades were flabbergasted that Zeus would destroy the very creation that give them their power (humans are what confirm their existence), the weak and fragile mortals were the essence of their life stream. After the three Olympian brothers came to their senses they decided to seek Hephaestus to rebuild the Tetragrammaton Spear, the most powerful and epic weapon ever created. The three easily arrive to the secret island where Hephaestus was exiled to and ask him to take the original three god weapons, Zeus’ Thunderbolt, Hade’s Bident, and Poseidon´s Trident. With the fusing of all three weapons Cronus can be sent back to the confines from which he was released. On the flipside, Theseus arrived to Hyperion’s home what seemed to resemble the sun. Once Theseus lands on the plains of Hyperion’s bright and marvellous domain he throws the severed at Hyperion who grabs the bag and begins to laugh as in approval. Hyperion hands over his divine bow and returns to his throne to meditate upon what is to come and what will be.
50. What is the meaning of the word unrighteousness? A. Something that is unfair B. Something that is fair. C. Something that means left.
54. What other connecter can be used instead of “On the flipside”? A. Next B. After C. On the other hand
51. What word has the same meaning as flabbergasted? A. Worried. B. Gas C. Stunned
55. Why was Zeus tired of human beings? A. He grew tired because they were loyal. B. He grew tired because they were pranksters. C. He grew tired because they were unrighteous and disbelieve.
52. What sentence gives humans the right to confirm the existence of the gods? A. Zeus had grown tired of mankind and its
unrighteousness and its lack to believe. B. Zeus would destroy the very creation that give them their power (humans are what confirm their existence). C. Theseus arrived to Hyperion’s home what seemed to resemble the sun.
53. Which of the following are the weapons the Greek gods used: A. Hammer, Bat and Sword. B. Thunderbolt, Bident and Trident. C. Thunderbolt, Megaphone and Fork.
READ THE TEXT AND QUESTIONS BELOW. FOR QUESTIONS: 56 - 61, MARK A, B OR C ON YOUR ANSWER SHEET.
The Awakening Clink, Clink, Clash sound the cogs of a forgotten Clone Chamber as it opens. “Where am I? Why have I been awakened? Oh bloody hell, my head hurts and my body aches, I suppose being crammed in that chamber and abruptly awakened from my slumber won’t do wonders. Dang I feel like I’ve been beaten and batter like a punching bag, oddly enough I’ve never seen one. My legs are stiff but I will manage, hopefully a LifeNet Technician is close-by.” Luckily for our Clone a technician was near-by but he might not be getting the welcome he was hoping for. As he walked to the Cloning Terminal he found what seemed to be a LifeNet Technician yet when the shady man turned around, you could clearly see on his tag the words, LifeNet Clone Dissector. The Clone Dissector had a sinister grin on his face, fiery eyes and his facial expression of “all clones must be put down.”
56. What are most likely Clink, Clink, and Clash? A. A dog barking. B. A rooster squawking. C. A metallic door opening.
59. The segment “I´ve been beaten” is expressed in what tense? A. Present Simple B. Past Perfect C. Past Simple
57. The infinitive of forgotten is?
60. What is the opposite of stiff?
A. Get B. Forget C. Target
A. Loose B. Firm C. Lose
58. The expression “Oh bloody hell” means: A. Good morning. B. Everything is alright. C. Oh no!
61. What was written on the LifeNet´s Technician tag? A. LifeNet Clone Dissector B. LifeNet Clone Doctor C. LifeNet Clone Trainer
QUESTIONS 62 – 71 CONSTRUCCIÓN DE ORACIONES SELECCIÓN MULTIPLE CON UNICA RESPUESTA: DE ACUERDO CON EL TIPO DE FRASE ESCOJA LA OPCIÓN GRAMATICAL MÁS ADECUADA QUE PERMITA COMPLETAR EL SIGNIFICADO DE LA MISMA. EN LAS PREGUNTAS 62 – 71, COMPLETE LAS CINCIO CONVERSACIONES MARCANDO A, B, C o D EN SU HOJA DE RESPUESTAS 62. If I __________ more money, I would buy a car. a) have b) had c) would have d) will have
67. If Tom __________ to class, he would learn more. a) go b) goes c) have went d) went
63. If she __________ how to speak French, she would not take lessons. a) knows b) know c) knew d) known
68. The children would do better if they __________ more time. a) have b) has c) having d) had
64. If he were older, he __________ vote. a) will b) could c) can d) will be able to
69. Where would you __________ if you could go anywhere in the world? a) go b) goes c) went d) have gone
65. The men would have money if they _________. a) work b) works c) worked d) working 66. What would you do if you __________ the lottery? a) win b) will win c) won d) have won
70. Would you __________ to live in a big house or a small house? a) like b) likes c) liking d) liked 71. Who would you meet if you __________meet anyone in the world? a) can b) could c) can't d) will be able
QUESTIONS 72 – 91 CONSTRUCCIÓN DE ORACIONES SELECCIÓN MULTIPLE CON UNICA RESPUESTA: DE ACUERDO CON EL TIPO DE FRASE ESCOJA LA OPCIÓN GRAMATICAL MÁS ADECUADA QUE PERMITA COMPLETAR EL SIGNIFICADO DE LA MISMA. EN LAS PREGUNTAS 72 – 91, COMPLETE LAS CINCIO CONVERSACIONES MARCANDO A, B, C o D EN SU HOJA DE RESPUESTAS 72. If I ______ promoted, I would be able to buy a bigger house. a. had b. got c. took d. paid e. worked
73 I think it would create much better discipline in the office if you ______ me a bit more respect in front of my staff. a. had b. got c. were d. showed e. worked
80 If he ______ a shower every morning, it would be much easier to work with him. a. had b. met c. were d. paid e. worke
74 If you ______ the train, you wouldn't be so tired when you arrived. a. offered b. met c. took d. showed e. bought 75 her.
If I ______ her again, I would be really angry with a. offered b. met c. were d. showed e. bought
76 If you ______ a bit harder, you'd be really good at your job. a. offered b. met c. took d. paid e. worked 77 If we ______ these premises, we'd quickly outgrow them. They're just not big enough. a. had b. got c. were d. paid e. bought 78
If I ______ you, I wouldn't tell anybody about this. a. had b. got c. were d. was e. worked
If they ______ me the job, I would probably take a. offered b. was c. were d. showed e. bought
81 If you ______ more attention in meetings, you'd know what was going on. a. offered b. met c. took d. paid e. bought 82 My father gave me that watch. He ______ very happy if he knew I had lost it. a. would have b. would be c. wouldn't be d. would refuse e. would lose 83 Do you think Harry ______ angry if I used his office whilst he was away? a. would have b. would be c. wouldn't know d. would refuse e. would lose 84
If we didn't agree to their terms, what ______ ? a. would have b. would be c. wouldn't be d. would happen e. would lose
85 If I won the Lottery, I ______ my job. I love it too much. a. would make b. wouldn't leave c. wouldn't be d. would happen e. would feel
86 If my computer was stolen, I ______ months of work. a. would make b. wouldn't leave c. wouldn't know d. would refuse e. would lose
89 If I was made President of this company, I ______ quite a few changes. a. would make b. would be c. wouldn't be d. would happen e. would feel
87 If I got made redundant, I ______ what to do with myself. a. would make b. wouldn't leave c. wouldn't know d. would happen e. would feel
88 If you stopped smoking, you ______ a lot better pretty quickly. a. would have b. would sit c. wouldn't be d. would happen e. would feel
If I met Prince Charles, I ______ to bow to him. a. would smoke b. wouldn't leave c. wouldn't know d. would refuse e. would feel
91 If we caught the earlier flight, we ______ a long wait in Atlanta airport for the connecting flight. a. would have b. wouldn't leave c. wouldn't know d. would refuse e. would lose