JUNCTIONTEXAS.COM
7
T OU RI N G & KIMBLE COUNTY by the late Frederica Wyatt
Miles upon miles of pristine waters meander through Kimble County, and the highways and byways along the streams and adjacent hills provide an unusual view of this area of the Hill Country. The scenery is unsurpassed by any other part of the state. Wildflower drives boasted by neighboring counties pale in comparison to the panoramic countryside of the local area. Although travelers catch a glimpse of the hills and streams as they travel hurriedly along the Interstate highway bisecting the county, those who opt for a relaxing motor trip can choose other routes via the many roads traversing the area. A map of the county appears on pages 28 & 29, but because of size Kaylei Jameson limitations, not all the routes in this story are shown. A more detailed map can be picked up at no cost at area was donated in 1934 by Mrs. Frank the Chamber of Commerce of Kimble L. Wilson in memory of her husband. County, 402 E. Main St. For some, the access to the overlook is easier if they continue to the top of the LOOP 481 Leaving the eastern limits of Junction, hill, turn around, and approach the ena drive along Loop 481 via the overhead trance from the east. Loop 481 continsuspension bridge, the traveler can view ues on past a roadside park, where the the waters forming Lake Junction as right-of-way is bright with redbud blosthe river blends into a backdrop of Lov- soms in the springtime. Ultimately, the ers’ Leap and Alta Vista Mountains. By- loop intersects the eastbound lanes of passing Farm-to Market 2169 and saving Interstate 10. its surprises for another trip, the motorFARM TO ist accelerates to climb the steep road MARKET 2169, WEST carved from the side a mountain named If the motorist opts to turn right in memory of a legendary Indian couple on 2169 after crossing the suspension who leapt to their deaths because their bridge (South Llano River Bridge) over love was forbidden by their tribes. Lake Junction, his view will reveal the Before reaching the summit of the rugged face of the Lovers’ Leap mounhill, a sign beckons to the right to a sce- tain as the road continues over a bridge nic area, where a breathtaking view of above Cedar Creek. The old Scudder Wathe city and its surroundings is an awe- ter Hole is at the mouth of the creek as some sight. The concrete cross, erected it flows into the South Llano River to the many years ago by the Men’s Bible Class right. To the left on Kimble County Road of Junction, and a gigantic Old Glory 181 is the site of the annual pageant proudly flies in the breezes adding pa- staged by local talent each Easter Eve. triotic emotion to the site. This park The paved FM 2169 is routed past the rodeo arena, where many horses were raced in days gone by. The facility was erected in 1935 by the Hill Country Fair Association and is still a popular site for staging rodeos. The excellent golf course is adjacent to the arena. The Boy Scout camp grounds, inaccessible to the general public, are next. The 2169 route then leads to the en-
trance of the Junction Campus of Texas Tech University.
FLAT ROCK LANE
Approaching the Tech entrance, turn right onto Flat Rock Lane and follow the road to the old crossing on the South Llano River. This is one of the more spectacular views of the sparkling river. Flat Rock Lane will shortly intersect Highway 377.
US HIGHWAY 377, SOUTH
A left turn onto the highway leads to a scenic drive with meandering curves and water crossings. Before the days of modern highways, the river was forded every mile or so as the traveler made his way in a southerly direction. By the time the southwestern city limits are reached on 377, historical markers will relate the histories of the pioneer Bradbury Settlement and the Christmas Eve killing of young Isaac Kountz by Comanche Indians in 1876. The historic ranch established by John J. Smith is along this route. At Crisp Creek, another marker tells of the early FourMile Dam. South Llano River State Park and Walter Buck Wildlife Management Area are on the left on Park Road 73. Continuing along 377, the highway crosses Potter and Joy Creeks, and at a distance on the left, Chalk Bluff, at the mouth of the creek bearing the same name, is a familiar landmark. Long ago, tourist cottages were located along the
banks of the river, offering a delightful respite for well-to-do tourists from the crowded cities. After crossing Fox Hollow, one arrives at the historical site where the pioneer R. M. Turner family established an early ranch. Crossing Bailey Creek, one finds an historical marker on the left describing an early roundup of a lawless element who “holed up” in the area. The next creek crossing is at Cajac, site of the historic Wooten Cemetery. A bit further, a crossing of the South Llano River provides a breathtaking glimpse of the beautiful stream. A restored Evergreen schoolhouse, now utilized as a residence, is on the left before crossing a murmuring streamlet known as Fleming Draw. Another crossing of the South Llano River is imminent, and the view on either side is exceptional. To the right is the mouth of Little Paint Creek. The next surprise comes as the road dips, and there, historic Telegraph Store comes into view. A marker relates the legend and lore of the area. Nearby is the ranch homestead established by the late Governor Coke R. Stevenson, who served in the highest office of Texas from 1941 to 1947. The motorist continuing on 377 reaches Telegraph Hill, a steep and formidable ascent. KC 120 leads to the Watson Divide, but we advise the winding 377 for the most spectacular views. Home Draw and Christmus Hollow (so named for pioneer Theophilus Christmus — not “Christmas”) are to be approached with caution. In the distance, one can catch a glimpse of Paint Creek and its adjacent bluff. Further along, a deep canyon on either side of the road is Bowie Creek, for the legendary Jim Bowie of Alamo fame. Shortly, one approaches the dividing line between Kimble and Edwards counties. For those wishing to continue their southward journey, sites in the next county include Seven Hundred Springs (inaccessible to the public except for one Saturday each year when Connie Sue Low, chairman of Kimble County Historical Commission, is privileged to host a “day at the Springs” for all interested persons). Further along, there is a roadside