Ledisi Are you inspired by Ledisi’s beautiful locs? Design Essentials Natural recently partnered with the soulful recording artist to showcase Ledisi’s beauty in eye-catching, creative styles. “I’ve been expressing my joy about DE,” says the iconic singer. “People have been coming to me for what’s real. That’s why I’m happy about this LOOK BOOK. I get the opportunity to share what’s real.” Styles in this LOOK BOOK were created by Michele London, Ledisi’s longtime stylist, using some of Ledisi’s favorites from the Design Essentials Natural Collection. Each of Ledisi’s style variations came from Bantu knots— small, coiled buns that offer maximum curl versatility.
Bountiful Bantu Knots
â€“ Ledisi Side-Swept Glamour
Twist & Set is my go-to staple. I set my bantu knots with it and it’s the absolute best.
Bountiful Bantu Knots • To create bantu knots, spray Twist and
Set Setting Lotion and Curl Enhancing Mousse to set the style and boost flexibility.
• Apply Coconut & Monoi Deep Moisture Oil Treatment to give a great balance of moisture when styling.
one loc and use your fingers to gently • Dry completely using a hooded dryer. 4 • Take twist loc around its base until a coiled cylinder is formed. Repeat until all locs are coiled.
• Secure by tucking the end under its coil, or use large pins or a moisturized thread.
• Accessorize bantu knots with a colored fabric wrap, which is twisted and tucked under.
I have been growing my locs for a few years now and enjoy the versatility they give me. Being true to myself is the only way I can be.
• For this playful take on the partial updo style, take the front section of the hair and create a pompadour by securing the ends onto themselves from the curl of the bantu knot (no pins).
• Finish the style with Coconut & Monoi Intense Shine Oil Mist. • Apply Honey & Shea Edge Tamer to smooth the hairline.
Tips for LEDISI’s Favorites Honey & Shea Edge Tamer What It Is -
Firm hold formula delivers intense, longer lasting hold to tame hairline and flyaways.
How To Use - Emulsify with fingers and lightly apply to finish style.
Twist & Set Setting Lotion What it is -
Quick-drying set lotion provides a medium hold, delivering long lasting twist and rod set.
How To Use - Spray directly on wet section and set as desired. Dry completely with hooded dryer.
Coconut & Monoi Intense Shine Oil Mist What it is –
Coconut and Moroccan Argan oil-infused finishing spray that hydrates hair while attracting and reflecting light.
How To Use - Spray a few inches away from hair for lasting shine.
Almond & Avocado Moisturizing & Detangling Leave-In Conditioner What it is –
Moisturizing leave-in formula with nourishing botanicals and Vitamin E that penetrates quickly to soften hair and smooth the cuticle.
How To Use - Apply to locs as a style primer for lasting softness.
DE Natural & Ledisi Tips for Loc Maintenance 1.
Shampoo and condition hair routinely. Begin by using Almond & Avocado Moisturizing & Detangling Shampoo and Conditioner as the foundation for gently cleansing locs while retaining moisture and softness.
Protect locs at night by covering them in a silk bonnet or stocking.
Locs need lots of moisture. Keep them hydrated with a rich oil, Coconut & Monoi Deep Moisture Oil Treatment.
Lightly retwist as needed with Honey CurlForming Custard (fine, medium hair) or Defining CrĂ¨me Gel (coarse hair).
When retwisting, use the same technique and twist in the same direction for consistency.
Avoid over-twisting. Excessive tension can cause breakage and thinning.
Dry locs using a hooded dryer.
Maintain a healthy scalp and locs by eating vegetables, fruits and drinking lots of water.
9. Restore dry locs with a steam hydration treatment and any DE Natural conditioner.
When I’m on stage, I don’t see people. I see energy. From that, I feel some sort of power —like a lioness.
• In this curly sideswept look, the bantu knots were
loosened and misted with Coconut & Monoi Intense Shine Oil Mist.
• Tousle and arrange to desired length and fullness.
I feel like a queen when I wear my updo. It’s one of my favorite looks— very regal and classic.
Avante Garde Pompadour
• For this romantic updo, spray Coconut & Monoi Coconut Water Curl Refresher to loosen the curls.
• For an immense shine, apply Coconut & Monoi Deep Moisture Oil Treatment to the hair.
• In medium-sized sections, braid and twist up the face-framing style. • Tie and secure the locs onto themselves (no pins). • Finish the perimeter of the hair with Honey & Shea Edge Tamer.
I love Design Essentials for giving me moisture and style my way.
• For this sultry style, lift tresses from behind the ear upward toward crown of head and secure in large coils.
• Lift locs on the right side of head to create increased volume on the crown and left side. Secure portions in loops and coils.
• Continue on the left side for desired fullness, length and curl. • Finish the style with Coconut & Monoi Intense Shine Oil Mist and
tame flyaways with a light application of Honey & Shea Edge Tamer.
Learn more about Ledisiâ€™s favorites by visiting designessentials.com/ledisi