THE INDEPENDENT STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSIT Y OF PENNSYLVANIA
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 23, 2014
BAGNOLI TO RETIRE FOOTBALL | The 2014 season will be Bagnoliâs final at the helm of the Red and Blue as Ray Priore prepares to succeed the coaching legend BY STEVEN TYDINGS Senior Sports Editor 2014 will be Al Bagnoliâs last year at the helm of Penn football. The Daily Pennsylvanian confirmed that Bagnoli will retire after his 23rd season coaching the Red and Blue. According to the Philadephia Inquirerâs Mike Jensen, defensive coordinator Ray Priore will succeed Bagnoli as Pennâs head coach. In his 22 years as Penn football head coach, Bagnoli has amassed 232 victories, nine outright Ivy League titles and six undefeated seasons in Ivy play. Priore summed up Bagnoliâs legacy when asked about it last fall. âHeâll go down as the winningest coach in Penn history,â Priore said. âBut heâs been able to be honest with kids, be up front with kids. Kids have done the job in the classroom, graduated and become great family people. âI think his impact is more than just football. It is everything
that has to do with sports and in life.â Reports of Bagnoliâs retirement surprised alums, including 2013 College graduate Joe Holder, a former walk-on who contributed to Pennâs most recent Ivy title. âI was slightly shocked because it came out of nowhere, but when you sit back and think about the circumstances surrounding the year and everything, it begins to make more sense,â he said. Holder also thought that Bagnoliâs change in attitude in recent years may have been an indicator that his time at Penn was coming to an end. âYou could kind of tell my senior year or so [that] he started to get a little bit more relaxed,â Holder said. âHe was still very involved, but you could say he became little more of a playerâs coach.â
SEE BAGNOLI PAGE 9 DP File Photo/Katie Rubin
The winningest football coach in Penn history, Al Bagnoli will retire at the end of 2014. Bagnoli has racked up 232 wins and nine outright Ivy titles entering his final season at the helm.
Transgender students get OK to register preferred names
CAPS to relocate to Market Street
Ten years in the making, the Preferred Name Initiative launched on the VPUL website this month BY LAURA ANTHONY Deputy News Editor It is now easier for students at Penn to use a âpreferred nameâ if their legal name does not reflect their gender identity. The Preferred Name Initiative has been launched on the website of the Division of the Vice Provost for University Life. The initiative provides a new systemized way for students to request that their preferred name be used in place of their legal or birth name in University systems. âThis is really important for our trans students to feel part of the community and to be safe and to really be recognized for who they are,â Senior Associate Director of the LGBT Center Erin Cross said. Faculty and staff are not currently eligible for this process, Cross said. People who would prefer to go by their Hebrew name, those who are named after their father and use their middle name and international students who want to go by a different name also cannot request a preferred name, though Cross hopes to see the initiative expand to include them. âPersonally I think anybody should be able to use their preferred name,â she said. In the past, transgender students who wished to use a preferred name had to reach out to Cross and work with her to get their preferred name recognized by the registrarâs office, but there was no official system. Since this option was not publicized, trans students most often heard about it through word of mouth, Cross said. Now, students who identify as transgender, gender noncomforming, gender variant and non-cisgender who would like to use a preferred name can fill out the Preferred Name Change Form online. This would allow their preferred name to be used on their PennCard, in the Penn directory and on class rosters. This process would not constitute a legal name change. Students who wish to use a preferred name will also meet with one of three trans allies, who aim to âfacilitate a confidential process,â Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs Karu Kozuma said. Kozuma, Cross and Associate Director of Activities for the Office of Student Affairs Rodney Robinson are the three allies that will work with students throughout this process. A studentâs preferred name will then be used âwhere feasible in all University systems unless the studentâs birth name and/or legal name use is required by law or the studentâs preferred name use is for intent of misrepresentation,â the VPUL website says. The Preferred Names Initiative will be formally incorporated into Release 2 of the Next Generation Student Systems, a new database which will replace the three core student registration systems that are currently based on outdated technology: Student Accounts and Billing, Academic Records and Registration and Financial Aid, Executive Director for Education and Academic Planning at the Office of the Provost Rob Nelson said. http://www.sfs.upenn. SEE INITIATIVE PAGE 7
Editorial (215) 898-6585 ⢠Business (215) 898-6581
Courtesy of the Division of the Vice Provost for University Life
Map tiles by Stamen Design
Counseling and Psychological Services will move to a new office at 3624 Market St. in January 2015. The new office, shown here in a preliminary rendering by the architecture firm designing the office, will have 50 percent more space.
The new office, opening in January 2015, will be 50 percent larger than CAPSâ current space BY SARAH SMITH Senior Writer Counseling and Psychological Services will relocate to the first floor of 3624 Market St. in January 2015. CAPS will move over winter break next school year and has signed a 15-year lease at the new location, according to a University announcement Tuesday morning. The move, necessitated by plans to build the Ronald O. Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics at the building at 36th and Walnut streets, where CAPS is currently housed, has been the subject of speculation among students this semester. The new site will net CAPS 25 percent more
total square footage, according to an email sent out by Associate Vice Provost Max King, including a 300 percent increase in space available for group therapy. âIf itâs the same number of clinicians in a bigger space, itâs not an improvement,â said College junior and Penn Undergraduate Health Coalition member Elana Stern, who learned of the move through Kingâs email. She said she was glad, though, that there was finally an announcement on the location. The Market Street building was the only building close enough to campus that met the space needs of CAPS, King said. The building gives CAPS the option of expanding its office space in upcoming years. CAPS Director Bill Alexander, who was not closely involved with the moving process, said the new building has its fair share of pros and cons. âIf thereâs an issue, it might be location.
In terms of the place itself, itâs a lot nicer and bigger than what we have now,â he said. A potential plus of the location, he added, was giving students seeking help at CAPS anonymity. Penn Undergraduate Health Coalition Chair and College sophomore Julie Bittar, too, thought the move was overall an improvement. âCompared to the current space, itâs a big step up,â she said. âAnd students walking over can just say theyâre going to Student Health.â King, Alexander and others involved in the transition are in the early stages of meeting with Strada, the Philadelphia architecture firm overseeing the renovation to tailor the space to CAPSâ needs. The building is already set to have larger offices, and the waiting area will be configured so passersby SEE CAPS PAGE 6
Sometimes itâs better not to do your own stunts âNew Girl,â âLetâs Be Copsâ actors visited Penn BY KRISTEN GRABARZ Staff Writer Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr., the stars of âLetâs Be Copsâ and television comedy âNew Girlâ, visited Penn last night for a meet and greet with students and an advanced screening at the Rave, followed by an exclusive Q&A session. The filmâs writer, Nicholas Thomas, joined them in promoting âLetâs Be Cops,â which will be released in August. The DP selected some of the best questions from the Q&A session.
Tiffany Pham/Staff Photographer
Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr, the stars of âLetâs Be Copsâ and âNew Girl,â met with fans in Houston Hall yesterday.
Visit us online at theDP.com
Question: Did you do all your own stunts? Damon Wayans Jr.: We almost did all our own stunts â Iâd be like running, about to jump off the thing, and they would be like âcutâ and bring in some dude and heâd hurt himself. Jake Johnson: The only baby stunts we both did, we both got hurt doing, so it was really nice to pass it off.
Q: How did the idea [for âLetâs Be Copsâ] come along? Have you worked on other projects like this? Nicholas Thomas: I did a hidden camera show with the director of the movie about 12 years ago. In the show, we dressed a guy up in a cop uniform, and he rolled around gave tickets to people for no reason. From there we knew it was like a super hero costume â you put it on and you could get away with all that great shit. Q: When did you guys first get attached to the project? JJ: About 15 months ago, that guy sent the script. ... For me it was important who the other guy would be. When they said Damon was involved, we talked on the phone, and I basically said Iâd do it if he did it. DW: Thatâs how it happened. Q: Did you guys have any real firearm experience or training for the movie? DW: In my teens I would go to the gun range all the time and shoot lots of guns SEE COPS PAGE 3
Send story ideas to newstip@theDP.com