Page 1

The Nuclear Management Partners

Make It Enterprising Challenge ENERGUS, Blackwood Road, Lillyhall, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 4JW 12 June 2013 St Joseph’s Catholic High School negotiate the Transport Maze

The schools get ready for a busy day of activities

The team from Stainburn School gets to grips with the brief The Manufacturing Institute’s charitable Make It in Manufacturing campaign is helping to create a pipeline of talent for UK manufacturing by promoting the sector as an interesting and rewarding career choice for young people. Through a network of local, national and multi-national business partners the Make It campaign shows young people that modern manufacturing is a global enterprise founded on a basis of innovation, creativity and smart thinking.

Funded by

By connecting young people to manufacturing companies in their local area, the Make It campaign overturns negative perceptions surrounding the sector by engaging event participants in hands-on activities through the Make It Enterprising Challenges. These practical, one day events give young people the opportunity to form their own mini-manufacturing companies, gaining advice and guidance from a range of industry advocates and learning more about the creative and aspirational

employment opportunities manufacturing can offer. This event – The Nuclear Management Partners Make It Enterprising Challenge – was a collaboration between The Manufacturing Institute and Nuclear Management Partners, the consortium which owns and manages Sellafield Ltd and is responsible for safely delivering nuclear waste management and decommissioning activities on behalf of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.

To view all the photographs taken on the day please visit our website

www.makeit.org.uk

INSPIRE

EDUCATE

IMPROVE


The Nuclear Management Partners volunteers

Make It in MANUFACTURING About the day The materials used on the day were designed to reflect the products and services offered by Nuclear Management Partners in Cumbria and to give the young people taking part a good understanding of the range of jobs available within the Nuclear sector. Each school team – made up of eight pupils – was asked to consider their respective skills and qualities and each choose a specific job role including Managing Director, Finance Director, Sales and Marketing Manages, Manufacturing Manager, Design Engineer, Logistics Manager and Quality Controller. Teams were then challenged to design and build a Nuclear Energy Waste Transport System (NEWTS) which would be used to

transport uranium, used to make electricity, across the UK. To keep the cargo safe pupils also had to design and make a Safety Indicator System (SIS) to monitor radiation levels and keep the public safe. Throughout the day the teams also had to meet with an industry ‘Consultant’, cross a logistics maze, create financial plans and build a product brand that would appeal to their target customer. Finally, each team was required to pitch their ideas to a panel

Netherhall School presents their company idea to the ‘Dragons’ of industry experts, made up of NMP, senior managers in a ‘Dragons Den’ style presentation. The judging of the event was extremely stringent and the teams were monitored throughout the day. Points were awarded for the completion of key tasks along with teamwork, use of initiative, problem solving and other enterprising qualities.

A pupil from Stainburn School gets to work on their marketing campaign

Pupils from Whitehaven School make a start on their prototype vehicle

Students having fun developing their prototype for the ‘Dragons’


A pupil from St Benedict’s Catholic High School explains their vehicle design

Schools in Attendance Cockermouth School Cockermouth Millom School Millom The second place team on the day, Whitehaven School, presents their marketing campaign to the judges

Netherhall School (two teams) Maryport Stainburn School (two teams) Workington St Benedict’s Catholic High School Whitehaven St Joseph’s Catholic High School Workington West Lakes Academy Egremont Whitehaven School Whitehaven

Two pupils receive Outstanding Individual awards

And the winners were… First Place - Millom School Second Place -Whitehaven School Outstanding Individual - Andrew McNinn, Cockermouth School Outstanding Individual - Chloe Holiday, Netherhall School

The winning team, Millom School, accept their award from the volunteers from Nuclear Management Partners

About the Sponsor Nuclear Management Partners is a consortium comprising of URS of the United States, British company AMEC and AREVA of France. The consortium manages Sellafield Ltd, which includes the Sellafield nuclear complex in Cumbria in the North West of England, and offices in Risley, near Manchester.

The NMP consortium brings together world-class management and stateof-the-art technology to complement the huge strengths of the Sellafield workforce, as it deals with the largest nuclear clean-up project in Europe, with no fewer than 170 major facilities to decommission, including four high hazard facilities and four reactors.

Working closely with Sellafield Ltd and under the close scrutiny of the UK’s Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, NMP produced the first underpinned lifetime plan for Sellafield detailing a forward programme of operations, construction projects and decommissioning.


Summary and Key Points • 100% of the pupils taking part in the day rated the Challenge as between “Excellent” and “Good” (25% marked “Excellent”, 55% marked “Very Good” and 20% marked “Good”)

• 86% of the teachers felt that the day had definitely improved their pupil’s perceptions of careers within the sector, with the remaining 14% feeling that it had somewhat improved their perceptions

• 96% of the pupils felt that the day had given them a better understanding of the types of jobs available within the manufacturing industry

• 86% of the teachers indicated that they would now recommend careers in manufacturing to “all their pupils” upon their return to school, with 14% recommending manufacturing to the “high achievers”

• In total, the number of young people who said that “yes”, they would now consider a career in the sector rose from 54% at the beginning of the day to 65% by the end • 100% of the teachers that attended rated the Challenge overall as either “Excellent” or “Very Good” (36% marked “Excellent” and 64% marked “Very Good”)

• 91% of the NMP staff rated the Challenge overall as “Excellent”, with the remaining 9% rating the Challenge as “Very Good” • 100% of the NMP volunteers also felt that the day had succeeded in improving the image of manufacturing to those pupils involved

Quotes from Pupils

Quotes from PUPILS: Quotes from Pupils:

Quotes from Teachers:

Quotes from Volunteers

• “It seems fun and exciting” • “It’s enjoyable and creative” • “I now know what a career in the manufacturing industry is” • “It is interesting, uses your creativity and earns good money!” • “It’s more interesting than I thought” • “It’s well paid and you can travel the world, and it’s fun” • “It was fun and I have more understanding”

• “The pupils have gained an excellent insight into the different aspects of manufacturing” • “Very well organised and imaginative, thank you” • “Good insight into the Nuclear manufacturing industry” • “Brilliant day” • “Well organised. Superb, enjoyable day!” • “Well done, great day”

• “A great opportunity to get the business known and to open up future employment avenues for the company.” • “It’s a very good initiative and I encourage you to continue.” • “Great way of getting the image of the company and what we do across to future potential employees.”

Following the event the Manufacturing Institute produced a press release and subsequently generated £4342.00 of positive media coverage

INSPIRE

EDUCATE

IMPROVE

Make it nmp report issuu  

NMP Make It Report

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you