Community Advocate • Summer
Get your home ready for summer In summer, blades should turn counterclockwise, pushing air downward to create a cool breeze.
From yard work and pest control to cleaning and taking care of home systems, there’s a lot that goes into maintaining a house. The dog days of summer can really put the heat on electricity bills and put even the best air conditioning systems to the test. Dave Quandt, Senior VP of Field Services for American Home Shield explains, “The Department of Energy says that almost 45 percent of a homeowner’s utility costs come from heating and cooling the house. Fortunately, there are some simple things you can do to help lower those costs, keep your system working as it should, and beat the summer heat.” Here are a few tips to keep in mind when summer temperatures start to sizzle: - An air conditioner set at 70 F can cost twice as much to operate as one set at 78 F. Raise the thermostat by 2 degrees above its normal setting. You’ll still be comfortable, and your pocketbook will thank you.
- Keeping windows closed and curtains drawn during the day can reduce cooling costs by 30 percent.
To work efficiently, air conditioning units must be cleaned and free of clogging debris.
for several hours and lower it when you return. But don’t shut the air conditioner oﬀ; it’s less eﬃcient to cool the house back down than to leave it set
- Set the thermostat to 80 F when you’ll be out of the house
at a higher temperature. - A ceiling fan uses about as much energy as a 100-watt bulb, but it can make a room feel up to eight degrees cooler.
- Lights, computers and televisions all generate heat. Turn them oﬀ when they’re not in use. Quandt believes your best protection, however, lies in preventative maintenance. “It’s important to have your air conditioning system professionally inspected and cleaned a least a month before you’ll need to start using it,” he says. “At a minimum, turn it on and make sure it’s still running like it should. “Last summer, we responded to more than 550,000 requests for air conditioning repairs during the record-breaking heat wave. You don’t want to ﬁnd out that your air conditioner needs repair or replacing just when you need it most. Now’s the time to be sure everything’s in good working order.”
- Clean or replace the air ﬁlter. Clean or replace the air conditioner filter monthly. Clogged, dirty filters block air ﬂow and make a unit work much harder. A clean filter can save up to 10 percent on your bill. If your air conditioning system and/or components break down, a home warranty can help protect you from unexpected repair costs. “A home warranty,” said Quandt, “is a service contract that covers the repair or replacement of many of the most common home system breakdowns. It also covers appliances not usually covered by homeowner’s insurance.”
Perfect Wedding ECONOMY CANVAS & AWNING CO.
Barbara J. Walker Trust your Special Day to the Bakery that has been voted Worcester County’s
“Best Bakery for more than 45 years”
Saturday, August 13, 2011 S
(raindate August 14) ~ 10am-4pm
• Naturalist-led walks $5 / person • Live caterpillars (ages 3 and ab ove) • Children’s activities $20 per family • Face painting • Butterfly garden tours and observation stations • Plant sales • Vendors, music, food, and more. • Help plant milkweed for monarchs • Learn what you can do to protect and encourage the beautiful butterflies of Massachusetts.
THE (508) 852-0746 6 133 Gold Star Blvd. CROWN Worcester, MA BAKERY thecrownbakery.com
All products made in-house! Over 25 years of service in the community
UP TO A 10% INSURANCE DISCOUNT FOR 5 YEARS! CLASSES STARTING IN MAY TRAINING OFFERED 7 DAYS A WEEK
and Related Products
TAKE OUR 4½ HOUR SKILLS DEVELOPMENT COURSE AND RECEIVE
186 WEST BOYLSTON ST. WEST BOYLSTON, MA
Wide assortment of Cake Ornaments Party Pastries Cookie Trays
Awnings, Boat & Truck covers
CENTRAL MASS SAFETY COUNCIL AUTO SCHOOL
Broad Meadow Brook Conservation Center and Wildlife Sanctuary 414 Massasoit Road Worcester, MA 01604
Find out the manufacturer’s recommendations for maintenance on your type of unit. You can usually ﬁnd it online and in your owner’s manual. In addition: - Create shade for the unit, but keep the area around the exterior condensing unit clear of leaves, bushes and other obstructions to ensure adequate airﬂow.
Educational fun for all ages!
Guide • Friday, May 20, 2011• 17
• Full Awning Service Installation, Removal & Cleaning
289 PER PERSON
149 FOR CMSC STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES $
PRESENT THIS AD TO RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL $25 OFF!! ASK US ABOUT SUMMER DRIVER EDUCATION FOR YOUR TEEN
• Manufacture & Repair All Canvas Products
115 Hamilton Street Southbridge, MA 01550 508-765-5921 www.economycanvasandawning.com