__MAIN_TEXT__

Page 1

ETHIOPIA

pineapple ∙ sundried red fruits

This coffee came from the Alemu processing station located near the village of Chelelektu in Kochere at the height of 1950 m. Alemu II is a dry processed coffee consisting of improved varietals and native coffee of forest origin transferred to family smallholder plots and gardens. In this case they refer to it as Yirgacheffe type.

thiopian coffees are simply outstanding. On blind cuppings they are instantly recognisable because these coffees have a unique flavour. There are more than a hundred Heirloom arabica varieties ingenious to Ethiopia, which all grow in the wild. The distinctive taste of Ethiopian coffee is most probably due to the varied micro-climates of the country. Ethiopia’s coffee production is 396 thousand tons a year, 95% of which is produced by its 1.1 million small farms. The remaining 5% is grown by state and privately owned plantations, and their number is continuously growing. This specific coffee is from Mr. Alemu’s private wet mill located in the community of Gedeb in Kochere in Yirgacheffe. Yirgacheffe is known for it’s explosively aromatic coffees full of floral, citrus and tea-like notes and they have a light and elegant body. The area where this coffee has been grown has some of the most complex and intense coffee flavors in Yirgacheffe. Mr. Alemu took over the process station in 2004. His goal has always been to produce coffees that highlight the unique flavors of the region. Coffee cherries are carefully selected and processed at Mr. Amelu’s wet mill. Thanks to his expertise and dedicated work his coffees are only of the highest quality.

Producing great natural coffees is challenging and it requires at least as much attention to details as producing good washed coffees. The site collectors in the local villages carefully selecting the ripe cherries with better qualities, as well as the nearby farmers delivers cherries to the mill. The cherries are the hand sorted for unripe and over ripe cherries to get a sweeter and cleaner product. The first phase of drying is crucial and are in relatively thin layers on the tables to avoid fermented flavours and it should reach what’s called the “raisin” stage at about 25% moist in a few days. It’s important to move the cherries carefully to avoid damage on the fruit. In the second phase, from 25% - 12% moist, the layers are built up, and it’s constantly moved during daytime, and needs some rest mid day and at night. It’s a costly process that requires good labor and attention if you want it at the highest quality levels.

... To achieve the best taste experience possible use soft water and freshly ground coffee. Let it rest for a week after roasting but consume it within one month. Enjoy! the Casino Mocca team

casinomocca.hu

photo by The Nordic Approach

Alemu II.

E

Profile for Casino Mocca

Casino Mocca: Alemu II. - Coffee fact sheet  

This coffee came from the Alemu processing station located near the village of Chelelektu in Kochere at the height of 1950 m. Alemu II is a...

Casino Mocca: Alemu II. - Coffee fact sheet  

This coffee came from the Alemu processing station located near the village of Chelelektu in Kochere at the height of 1950 m. Alemu II is a...

Advertisement