Skip to main content

The Times-Picayune 06-05-2026

Page 1

LB

LB

4 DAY SALE JUNE 4TH - 7 TH

THUR FRI

4

5

CUT & WRAPPED FREE!

USDA PRIME BEEF

SAT SUN

6

7

visit rouses.com for more weekly ad specials!

SAVE up $ 97 to 3

SAVE $ 81 1

SAVE 11 23

$

Whole Boneless Beef Tenderloin

— ONLY —

17 76

$

LB

2 02

$

When You Buy 3

— ONLY —

SWEET

SAVE

1

$ 68

Premium Seedless Red Grapes

LB

PERFECT FOR SEASONING GREENS Chisesi’s Seasoned Ham $ 99

4

BUNCHED

Collard, Mustard or Turnip Greens

— ONLY —

5

3/$

— ONLY —

1

$ 97

ONE DOZEN

Eggland’s Best Large Eggs

Prices good at all New Orleans, Gretna, Kenner, Metairie, Marrero, Slidell, Mandeville and Covington stores June 4th - June 7th, 2026.

N O L A.C O M

|

F r i d ay, J u n e 5, 2026

$2.00X

ST. TAMMANY PARISH

Sheriff arrested on felony count Smith accused of physically attacking critic at steakhouse BY WILLIE SWETT Staff writer

In a stunning turn of events for St. Tammany Parish’s most powerful law enforcement official, St. Tammany Sheriff Randy Smith was arrested and booked into the Tangipahoa Parish jail on Thursday afternoon on counts of fel-

ony battery and disturbing the peace, accused of physically attacking a vocal online critic at a steakhouse near Madisonville last week. Smith, who has run the St. Tammany Sheriff’s Office for almost a decade, was released a short time later on a $10,000 bond. He faces one count of second-degree battery, a felony, and

two counts of disturbing the peace, which is a misdemeanor. In a statement Thursday afternoon, Smith said he plans to continue in his role as the sheriff. Smith is accused of attacking St. Tammany Parish resident Bobby Couvillion in the bar at Keith Young’s Steakhouse on the afternoon of May 29. The inci-

After halt, S&WB resumes cleaning out catch basins

dent has been the talk of the parish this week, with some residents calling for Smith to resign. As he was being booked in Amite, the St. Tammany Sheriff’s Office issued a news release on Smith’s arrest. In it, Smith said he was sorry for the “stress and burden” he caused his family, parish residents and Sheriff’s Office employees. He said that as sheriff,

PROVIDED PHOTO

ä See SHERIFF, page 14A Randy Smith

Flood authority’s police chief on leave

Rondeno subject of investigation, Landry adviser says BY ALEX LUBBEN Staff writer

STAFF PHOTO By SOPHIA GERMER

Debris sits in a blocked catch basin on North Robertson Street in the Treme neighborhood on Thursday.

Treme residents complain ‘drains are completely stuck’ BY BEN MYERS Staff writer

The Sewerage & Water Board is again cleaning catch basins after work ground to a halt earlier this year, but it continues to lag behind its goal and still has no money for citywide repairs to damaged pipes that will continue backing up stormwater. Neglect of the “minor drainage” system is especially apparent in Treme, where residents sounded off at an S&WB community meeting Tuesday. Catch basins in the neighborhood are filled with garbage, vegetation, construction debris and even cement, they said. “The number one issue here is that our drains are completely stuck,” said Cheryl Austin, executive director of the Greater Treme Consortium, at the Treme Center. “The drains have not been cleaned out since before Katrina, and that’s what’s causing the flooding. The wa-

WEATHER HIGH 84 LOW 77 PAGE 8B

ter can’t flow.” The S&WB assumed responsibility for minor drainage — the catch basins and small pipes that capture stormwater and send it to larger pipes, canals and pump stations — a year and a half ago. The city’s Public Works Department oversaw minor drainage for more than three decades before that, but it never implemented a regular maintenance program. Over the years, tons of debris have clogged and damaged the pipes, although the extent of the damage is unknown. An S&WB study last year found 15% of the small pipes in Treme need repairs. If that rate of damage exists across the system, the S&WB estimates repairs would cost more than $200 million. “We are doing our best to get back out there and clean the catch basins, but the reality is, if the pipe that those catch basins are connected to

The New Orleans flood protection authority’s embattled police chief, whose pay and selfdrafted employment contract had drawn scrutiny from state lawmakers, has been placed on administrative leave, an adviser to Gov. Jeff Landry said Thursday. Joshua Rondeno was placed on leave with pay late Wednesday “pending an investigation that we can’t discuss while it’s going Rondeno on,” said Landry adviser Shane Guidry, who has been overseeing changes at the agency though he holds no official or elected office. Guidry declined to answer further questions about the nature of the investigation. Stacy Gilmore, a spokesperson for the agency officially known as the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East, initially said only that “Superintendent of Police Joshua Rondeno has not been terminated.”

ä See CHIEF, page 8A

Report: NORD didn’t check backgrounds of coaches it hired BY MISSY WILKINSON and JONI HESS Staff writers STAFF PHOTO By BEN MyERS

S&WB General Superintendent Kaitlin Tymrak, left, and Executive Director Randy Hayman address residents at the Treme Center on ä See S&WB, page 14A Tuesday.

New Orleans’ public recreation department failed to run background checks on many of the people involved in its youth sports programs last year and two of its volunteer coaches had criminal histories, the New Orleans Inspector General found. In a letter released Thursday that raised alarms

Business ...................12A Commentary ................7B Nation-World................2A Classified .....................7D Deaths .........................3B Opinion ........................6B Comics-Puzzles .....3D-6D Living............................1D Sports ..........................1C

ä See NORD, page 8A

13TH yEAR, NO. 297


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook