NYs APPROVED ONLINE PROFEssIONAL & ADVANCED CERtIFICAtION PROgRAMs
MAKE YOUR CAREER MAKE A DIFFERENCE. At Canisius College, our graduate programs in education are designed to help you make a difference in other people’s lives. They combine theory with experience to help you take your career wherever you want to go. We teach from our core Jesuit value of cura personalis, which means “care for the whole person.” Here, you’ll learn to teach people as multi-faceted individuals. You may specialize in physical education, and keep bodies healthy. Explore differentiated education and learn to teach to the strengths and abilities of each individual student. Whatever you choose, you’ll explore new ways of teaching and learn from experienced professors who will prepare you for success in whatever you aim to achieve.
PROgRAMs OF stUDY Online Professional Certification Programs
• MS in Physical Education • MS in Literacy • MS in Educational Technologies and Emerging Media • MS in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) • MS in Sport Administration
Online Advanced Certificates
• Advanced Certification in TESOL • Bilingual Education Extension
Online Educational Leadership Programs
• School Building Leader Certification • School District Leader Certification • MS in Educational Leadership
ONLINE LEARNINg We offer more than 12 online master’s degree programs, and each has the same quality and rigor as our on-campus courses plus the flexibility of a virtual classroom. For more information and advice about earning a Canisius graduate degree online, visit canisius.edu/readiness.
Canisius Online Education programs meet New York certification standards – one of the most rigorous state certifications in the United States – making it easy for you to earn your professional certification master’s degree or an advanced certification. Our programs are also NCATE accredited – the highest standard of teacher education.
Faculty & Staff Our faculty understand their fields intellectually and practically. They bring experience to every course and many hold PhDs or other terminal degrees. They combine quality instruction with flexibility designed for working adults. So – online or in person – you’ll get a world-class education with a real-world point of view. Get to know them at canisius.edu/faculty.
The Vincent and Harriet Palisano Foundation Catholic Educator Scholarship Canisius and the Palisano Foundation support Catholic education by providing a one-third tuition discount for employees of the Archdiocese of New York and the Dioceses of Brooklyn, Buffalo and Rockville Centre. For more information, visit canisius.edu/graduate under “Financing Grad School.” p
gEt MOVINg FROM ANYWHERE. MS in Physical Education, Professional Certification, Online – 30 credit hours
If you want to help students get moving, choose our online master’s program in physical education. It focuses on K–12 physical education and leads to professional certification for those already initially certified in teaching PE. We designed the program to meet the needs of working professionals – so it can be completed entirely online. You’ll get the flexibility of online study, but the experienced, qualified professors of a prestigious brick-and-mortar college. You’ll learn theory. You’ll research. You’ll take courses in adapted PE, coaching, sport psychology, and health education. Our graduates embark on careers as PE teachers, coaches, exercise and fitness professionals, and conditioning coordinators. It’s just the education you need to hone your physical educational skills.
• Start when it works best for you – Tiffany Fanning’s education fall, spring, or summer. gave her real-world experience • Prepare for a variety of physical and the strong foundation she education and fitness careers. keeps building on. See how • Study in a program accredited by the at canisius.edu/profiles. Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. • Benefit from our association with the American Kinesiology Association. • Join us as a member of AAHPERD, the largest organization of professionals involved in physical education, health, recreation, and dance. • Learn from anywhere – there’s no required residency, making this one of the few fully-online PE programs anywhere. • Complete your degree in four semesters.
READINg IN ACTION. MS in Literacy Online – 33 credit hours
Literacy is so foundational to learning that earning a master’s degree in the specialty can strengthen any educational career. Our program relies on excellent professors and real-world experience. We pair that academic rigor with flexible learning options for working professionals – so you can earn your degree online and complete your field experience during an intensive two-week residency on our Buffalo campus. Our program can prepare you for a career anywhere in the U.S., since it meets core literacy standards common across 46 U.S. states. Whether you use your degree to enhance your classroom or to move your career beyond it, you’ll graduate with the skills to truly improve education.
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Earn your degree online or on campus. • Teach in our on-campus literacy center during a two-week intensive residency. • Obtain the highly sought-after certification in literacy. • Apply for financial assistance with a program that qualifies for TEACH funding grants. • Complete your degree in one or two years.
FAst FACt Since our program meets core literacy standards common across 46 U.S. states, our students are prepared for a career almost anywhere in the U.S.
AN EDUCAtION tHAt WILL TEACH YOU TO LEAD. PROgRAM OVERVIEW Our educational leadership programs are all part of a single master’s program. The program has three sequential segments, customized to meet different student needs. So you complete one program, two, or earn the entire master’s degree.
School Building Leader Program On campus or online – 26 credit hours
Our school building leader program prepares certified teachers to become administrative school leaders. We prepare experienced teachers to become Pre K–12 headmasters, principals, assistant principals, and school directors. You’ll learn to build a curriculum, to supervise, mentor, and peer-coach. This demanding yet rewarding career takes rigorous preparation, and we give you the academic background and experience necessary to conquer the task head-on.
School District Leader Program On campus or online – requires completion of School Building Leader Program + 6 additional credit hours
Completing our school district leader program will qualify you to become a leader on a district level. After completing our school building leader program, it takes just two additional courses to complete this program. You’ll learn supervision skills needed for effective administration and develop an understanding of business administration within the educational system. After completing the program, you’ll be ready to make a lasting difference in the broader educational system.
MS in Educational Leadership On campus or online – requires completion of School District Leader Program + 9 additional credit hours
Once you’ve completed our school district leader program, earning a master’s degree in educational leadership requires only three additional courses. You’ll develop the knowledge and skills to effectively create, implement, and evaluate a curriculum. You’ll prepare to face the ever increasing demand to make appropriate legal educational decisions. You’ll study current issues in educational leadership, and you’ll graduate prepared to be an agent for change in the educational system.
Master’s Program Concentration Tracks
• • • • •
Emerging Issues in Educational Leadership Education Technologies and Emerging Media Athletics Administration Instructional Leadership General Educational Leadership Program Highlights
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Achieve certification in New York. • Study current issues in school leadership. • Master leadership skills and learn to peer-mentor. • Learn from experienced educators, principals, and superintendents. • Gain internship experiences tailored to meet your needs and interests.
See how Jack Turner redefined his teaching career and became a vice principal at canisius.edu/profiles.
LEARN HERE, TEACH ANYWHERE. MS in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Online – 30 credit hours
Our master’s program in TESOL will give you the qualifications and practical skills to teach English in any setting. You’ll learn to teach students who speak many different languages, and you don’t need to be bilingual to enroll. We’ll give you the certification and experience to begin teaching right away. And since TESOL is a growing field, job opportunities are expanding, especially in urban areas.
S tart when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. Enroll without being bilingual – fluency in a second language is not required. Prepare for a job anywhere different languages are spoken. C onduct your practicum anywhere in the United States or internationally. • Complete the entire program online – there’s no residency required. • Apply for financial support through available grant funding. • Earn your degree in three to four semesters. • • • •
Advanced Certification in TESOL, Online – 18 credit hours Our advanced certification in TESOL equips master’s holding classroom teachers to teach English to speakers of other languages. Our program meets New York certification requirements for grades K–12. You’ll study cultural issues, theory, and linguistics. You’ll participate in research and field work. So you’ll complete the program genuinely prepared.
Bilingual Education Extension, Online – 15 credit hours Our bilingual education extension is designed to help teachers meet New York requirements in bilingual education. Teachers who already hold initial certification, a master’s degree, and foreign language proficiency can complete the program entirely online. Our flexible program allows you to start in fall, spring, or summer.
• Standard Education • Special Education
BRINg tHE WHOLE WORLD INTO THE CLASSROOM. MS in Educational Technologies and Emerging Media Online – 33 credit hours
Our graduate program in educational technologies and emerging media is flexible yet rigorous, to keep you at the forefront of an emerging field. You can choose from four program tracks to receive either a master’s degree or an advanced certificate, and any one will fully prepare you for a career in educational technology. It will help you integrate many types of media into your classroom – from video to iPods to cameras to internet resources to whatever technological tool emerges next.
• Earn your degree entirely online. • Study in convenient eight-week sessions. • Complete the master’s program in 15 months. • Start when it works better for you – fall or spring. • Fulfill practicum requirements for New York certification at an approved site in your local area. Program Tracks
• Master’s degree in educational technologies, leading to New York certification as an educational technology specialist. • Master’s degree in educational technologies, not leading to New York certification.
Ron Kotlik, PhD, leads educators to technologies that will impact their students and their careers. See how at canisius.edu/faculty.
BE PROFEssIONALLY COMPETITIVE. MS in Sport Administration Online – 33 credit hours; On campus – 42 credit hours
The Master of Sport Administration program at Canisius College will help you step up your professional game. It’s one of a select few U.S. master’s programs approved by the North American Society for Sport Management. The program will equip you with skills to be an effective manager in a wide range of sport-related enterprises. You might manage intercollegiate athletics, or work with amateur and professional sports teams. Join a sport-marketing firm, manage special athletic events, or undertake the management of sports facilities.
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Learn from current leaders in the sport industry with real-world experience. • Gain valuable industry experience through internships, industry case studies, distinguished guest lectures, and trips to conferences. •
Choose from specializations including professional sport, intercollegiate athletics, and sport event management.
Partner with the community through MSA Cares, our vibrant community service program.
• Intern in the sport industry during our program’s capstone experience, anywhere in the United States or even internationally. • Study in a major league city with an array of professional sport opportunities. • Complete your degree in just two years. •
Join our network of 400 alumni that connects internship and job opportunities with sport organizations and agencies across the nation.
FAst FACt Our MS in Sport Administration meets the requirements for NYS Professional Certification for PE teachers - allowing students like Amanda Janosky to complete their certification and expand their career options. Find out how at canisius.edu/profiles.
WHERE OUR stUDENts LEARN AND WORK Atlanta Braves Big Ten Conference Buffalo Bills Buffalo Sabres Cenergy Sports & Entertainment Cleveland Cavaliers Disney Wide World of Sports First Niagara Center Kelly For Kids Foundation
Major League Baseball (MLB)
Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC)
United States Olympic Committee
National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA)
United States Soccer Federation
NFLPA/NFL Players, Inc. Octagon Marketing San Francisco 49ers
University of Buffalo Yale University Velocity Sports & Entertainment
DISCOVER Get ready for online study. Visit canisius.edu/readiness for info and advice about earning a graduate degree online.
FINANCING YOUR DEGREE For details on your program’s aid offerings, visit our website or contact our financial aid office at email@example.com or 716-888-2300.
Visit and apply Whether you’re set on a specific program or still exploring your grad school options, we’d love to help you figure out what comes next. Contact our admissions office to speak with a counselor, set up a visit, or find out more about studying at Canisius College.
contact us Canisius College 2001 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14208–1098 716.888.2545 800.950.2520 firstname.lastname@example.org canisius.edu/graduate