Skip to main content

Volume 31 Issue 27

Page 1

August 7, 2026

GREATER HOUSTON EDITION

AframNews.com

Vol.31, Issue 27

FREE

African-American News&Issues

“Addressing Current & Historical Realities Affecting Our Community”

THE RECLAMATION OF EVERGREEN CEMETERY By: Andre Mitchell

LEFT TO RIGHT: ALSO ON HAND FOR THE CEREMONY WERE JOE PANZARELLA HOUSTON CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT C, ROY DUBOSE, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN LIBRARY GREGORY FRIENDS, MOLLY COOK, SENATOR DISTRICT 15, KIMBERLYE SATTERWHITE REPRESENTING SENATOR BORRIS L. MILES DISTRICT 13, PATRICK ATKINS, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, YOLANDA FERNANDEZ, DIVISION MANAGER, SHEENA WILSON, MANAGER OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY RESEARCH CENTER AT THE GREGORY CAMPUS, BENNIE BARNES, LADONNA WEEMS, DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, NICK SAWICKI EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE HOUSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY, MIGUELL CEASAR MS, MLS - DIVISION MANAGER/ARCHIVIST.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GREGORY SCHOOL By: Debra Blacklock-Sloan

Gregory Elementary School, aka Gregory Institute, born out of the Freedmen’s Bureau Schools (1865), opened in January 1870. The school was named for General Edgar M. Gregory, assistant commissioner of the Freedmen’s Bureau in Texas from September 1865 until May 14, 1866. Gregory Institute was Houston’s first purpose–built elementary school for black children in the Fourth Ward. Its first location was a two-story brick building on Jefferson Avenue between Louisiana and Smith Streets. It was incorporated by the state in 1870 and operated as a

tuition-based school under the leadership of trustees Rev. Elias Dibble (1811-1885) and Richard Allen (1828-1928). The Freedmen’s Bureau Schools closed in 1872, and all black pupils transferred to Gregory Institute, making it the largest black primary school in the city of Houston. In 1874, complaints from black residents resulted in white teachers being replaced with black teachers who worked under a white principal. The school was severely damaged by a storm in 1875.

Gregory on pg. 3

An archaeological report confirmed that human remains found beneath Lockwood Drive in Houston’s Fifth Ward belong to Buffalo Soldiers, formerly enslaved individuals, and early residents. These findings revealed that the historic Evergreen Negro Cemetery was not fully cleared before the roadway was constructed over it decades ago. The discovery has prompted intense local news coverage regarding historical preservation, municipal accountability, and the proper honoring of these African American trailblazers. The Evergreen Negro Cemetery, located near Market Street and Lockwood Drive in Houston’s historic Fifth Ward, is the city’s third-oldest African American burial ground. Founded in 1887 by a group of leaders including Alexander Kelley—a prominent local businessman who was born into slavery—the sacred site serves as the final resting place for former slaves, Buffalo Soldiers, and veterans of both World Wars. In the mid-20th century, municipal expansions split the graveyard into two sections to accommodate Interstate 10 and the widening of Lockwood Drive, paving over hundreds of resting sites. Designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery in 2009, it has recently been the focus of major community-led rehabilitation efforts, including a March 2026 ceremony where the remains of 39 displaced individuals were officially reinterred. The reclamation of Evergreen Cemetery serves as a reminder that history does not exist only in museums and textbooks. Sometimes it rests quietly beneath old trees and weathered stones, waiting for a community to remember. By preserving the cemetery, supporters are not simply restoring a piece of land; they are reclaiming a legacy and ensuring that the people buried there continue to have a place in the historical record. AA


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Volume 31 Issue 27 by AFRAMNEWS.COM - Issuu