title

Page 1

DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH

Germany: Arrest over the murder of 9-year-old Peggy One of Germanyʼs most elusive and long-running murder cases came a step closer to a resolution on Tuesday following multiple reports that a man had been arrested over the death of the young girl known publicly in Germany only as Peggy. Peggy was nine years old when she vanished from her home in Lichtenberg, Bavaria in May 2001. Although she was presumed dead, her bodywas not found until fifteen years later. "The 41-year-old Manuel S. will be brought before the magistrate on Tuesday," reported public broadcaster MDR. The suspect is believed to be the same 41-year-old who admitted to transporting the girlʼs body in September. He told the authorities that he had agreed to take the corpse from another man, and admitted to transporting the body to the woods 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) from Lichtenberg where it was eventually found by a man gathering wild mushrooms in 2016.

Iran confirms test of ballistic missiles Iran on Tuesday confirmed it had conducted a missile test earlier in December, following criticism from Western powers, including Security Council members the US, France and Britain. "We confirm the recent test of our ballistic missiles," air force commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Amir Ali Hajizadeh said, according to the Fars news agency. Hajizadeh said that Iran carries out around 40 to 50 missile tests each year. Read more: Iranʼs military power: What you need to know The UN Security Council met last week over the test that the US, Britain and France said defied UN restrictions on Tehranʼs military program. In May, US President President Donald Trump decided to withdraw from an international agreement on Iranʼs nuclear program andreimposed sanctions on Tehran.

282/2018 • 13 DECEMBER, 2018

Deadly shooting in French city of Strasbourg At least three people have been killed in a shooting in the eastern French city of Strasbourg

Parts of the city are still on lockdown and a major security operation is underway around the cityʼs famed Christmas market. A gunman opened fire near a Christmas market in the French city of Strasbourg on Tuesday evening, killing at least three people and injuring 11 others, local officials have said. Earlier media reports said four people had been killed. Several of those wounded have critical injuries, police said. At least 350 police special forces and troops, along with two helicopters, are still searching for the shooter, who was known to Franceʼs internal security services as a suspected risk. He is said to be wounded. Prosecutors have opened a terrorism probe into the shooting. The attack is the third deadly incidentin France this year to be officially categorized as terrorism. Speaking with reporters early Wednesday, Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said France was raising the security threat level and would bolster the protection of Christmas markets and strengthen border controls. Reporting from the scene earlier, DW Brussels bureau chief Max Hofmann posted a video on Twitter. Early Wednesday, President Emmanuel Macron joined ministers and top security officials at the

Interior Ministry for a crisis meeting. "All the nation is in solidarity with Strasbourg, the victims and their families," he tweeted afterwards. Shortly after the shooting and with the manhunt underway, authorities put the city center and other major sites, including a sports arena and the European Parliament, in lockdown. Hundreds of MEPs and officials were in the Parliament attending a plenary session when the attack began. Police in the neighboring German state of Baden-Württemberg have reinforced border controls at the crossing into Strasbourg. The suspect has previous convictions in both France and Germany and has served time in prison, according to Interior Minister Castaner. Strasbourgʼs Christmas market is a popular tourist destination, drawing millions of visitors every year. Mayor Roland Ries has said the Christmas market would remain closed on Wednesday. Multiple terrorist attacks have shaken France in recent years. Since 2015, more than 200 people have been killed in attacks inspired or commissioned by the Islamist terrorist group "Islamic State."

Argentina court sentences ex-Ford executives on torture, kidnapping charges Two former executives for automaker Ford were handed lengthy jail sentences by an Argentine court on Tuesday. The move marks the first time that high-level corporate leaders have headed to prison over crimes committed duringArgentinaʼs "Dirty War." After a year on trial, Hector Sibilla, the former head of security at Fordʼs Buenos Aires factory, was sentenced to 12 years in prison. His codefendant, manufacturing manager Pedro Muller was given 10 years. The court declared that both men "were necessary participants in the illegal deprivation of liberty, aggravated by the use of violence and threats," against labor leaders and union advocates. Sibilla was also found to have been present during at least one torture session.

Brazil: Gunman opens fire inside cathedral, kills 4 A gunman has killed four people after opening fire following a midday Mass in a Catholic cathedral in the Brazilian city of Campinas. The attacker later died at the scene after turning the gun on himself. Worshipers at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Campinas, located some 60 miles (100 kilometers) north of Sao Paulo, were praying when the incident occurred. The gunman, who police identified as 49year-old Euler Fernando Gandolfo, entered the church and sat among them. After some time, Gandolfo drew his gun and began shooting the people around him. Most of the worshipers were elderly people.

weather today BUDAPEST

0 / 3 °C Precipitation: 0 mm


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.