Skip to main content

Peninsula Essence March 2023

Page 83

History

MOUNT MARTHA HOUSE – FROM COFFEE PALACE TO COMMUNITY CENTRE By Gill Gordon - Volunteer Manager of the Historical Collection.

M

ount Martha House Community Centre is a local landmark, well known in the area and beyond as ‘the big white building on the corner.’ Now owned and maintained by the Mornington Peninsula Shire, it is revered for its aesthetic charm and carries one of Heritage Victoria’s highest ratings for a Peninsula property. It is highly valued and is greatly used by the community for social and educational purposes. Origins The original five acres of land were part of the Mount Martha Sheep Run which was purchased in 1888 by the Mount Eliza

Estate Company, a group of wealthy Melbourne businessmen under the chairmanship of Captain Robert Watson. This was one of eight parcels of land bought up around Victoria by this group with a view to opening the land for subdivision. Originally known as the Mount Martha Coffee Palace, the building, designed by well-known Melbourne architects Tappin, Gilbert and Dennehy, was constructed over six months in 1889 and opened its doors to wealthy Melbourne residents in February, 1890. Of timber construction in a Federation or Queen Anne Revival architectural style, the continued next page... Top: Mt Martha House, circa 1915. Left: Map showing pastoral holdings, Port Phillip district, 1840. Below: Mt Martha Coffee Palace shortly after completion.

March 2023

E ssence | 83

PENINSULA


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Peninsula Essence March 2023 by Peninsula Essence - Issuu