26
SUNDAY CHRONICLE June 18, 2017
‘Sons of Champions’ gaining momentum –– Seon Bristol
THE BrisO Promotion ‘Sons of Champions’ boxing card scheduled for December 26th in Guyana has gained momentum, with head of the organization, Seon Bristol, disclosing that three former boxers have confirmed that they will be sponsoring fighters for the event. “We are moving apace with this card and I am excited with the feedback that I am having. We have already had three former champions who confirmed that they are on board and will be sponsoring a young and upcoming boxer for this card,” Bristol said from New York during a telephone interview. “I have indicated that
BrisO promotion head, Seon Bristol the sponsorship should be in place at least two months before the competition so that the participating boxers can properly prepare.
A raffle will also be held in the New York area to assist in making the event a success,” he informed. Bristol himself will be loosening up his purse strings to support Caribbean Super Heavyweight champion, Jason `AK 47’ Barker. “Mr. AK 47 is a national treasure and should be treated that way. BrisO Promotions would be taking care of him leading up to the Sons of Champions card.” Earlier in the year Bristol returned to Guyana to hold discussions with the executives of the Guyana Boxing Association (GBA) relating to the staging of the card. He met the then GBA president, Steve Ninvalle, Treasurer Dexter Patterson and Technical Director, Ter-
who now have children participating in the sport. For those former champions who do not have children in the sport, then we will ask that they adopt one for this card,” Bristol stated. The former amateur boxer and nephew of former Commonwealth light middleweight champion, Kenny
Jason ‘AK 47’ Barker rence Poole, and later disclosed that the name`Sons of Champions’ was given to pay homage to former boxers who have children currently in the sport discipline. “It is being called ‘sons of champions’ as we have several former champions
Windies Women need to take fresh guard, warns Fletcher LEICESTER, England (CMC) – West Indies Women leg-spinner Afy Fletcher has warned against taking the euphoria of last year’s Twenty20 World Cup triumph into the upcoming 50-overs World Cup starting next week. The 30-year-old all-rounder, a member of the successful side which beat Australia in India to take their maiden World title, said the formats were different and West Indies needed to evaluate each game
carefully. “I think this is a different version of the game so I think we need to look forward to his version and not carry any T20 pressure from the last World Cup,” Fletcher said. “We need to look forward and take each game step by step and once we do that we will not (put) ourselves under any pressure but just carry our basic knowledge and apply it in each game.” Fletcher has been joined
CRICKET QUIZ CORNER (Sunday June 18, 2017) COMPLIMENTS OF THE TROPHY STALL-Bourda Market & The City Mall (Tel: 225-9230) & CUMMINGS ELECTRICAL COMPANY LTD-83 Garnett Street, Campbellville, Georgetown (Tel; 225-6158)
Answers to yesterday’s quiz:
(1) Asghar Stanikzai-32 matches (2) 9 wickets
Today’s Quiz:
(1) What was the result of the recent WI/Afghanistan ODI series? (2) Who are the winners of the ICC Champions Trophy 2017?
Answers in tomorrow’s issue
West Indies Women leg-spinner Afy Fletcher in the 15-member squad by the likes of World-rated players Stafanie Taylor and all-rounder Deandra Dottin for the June 24 to July 23 tournament. Opener Hayley Matthews, former skipper Merissa Aguilleira and Anisa Mohammad, all members of the championship-winning side, are also expected to feature prominently. Fletcher, who has played 27 one-dayers since making her debut nine years ago, said West Indies needed to take a calculated approach to the tournament and guard against complacency.
“I think we have a fairly good team so I’m looking forward for us to take it one day at a time,” he stressed. “We’re not rushing anything; just take it step by step, day by day with each game. I’m looking forward to us … doing our best. “I think each game is important. (Each team) we have to face is important. I look at all my opponents as threats so everybody has to be prepared equally.” Fletcher, who has taken 27 wickets at an impressive average of 20 in her career, said bowling on the pitches in England would require a different approach. “I’m just trying to keep it simple and go within every practice sesssion … and practise on whatever area I need to work on,” she explained. “(I need to) just focus on each area and do what is expected. I just need to continue doing what I have to do and keep my consistency. “Basically we can see that the wickets are flat and don’t generate much spin so we just have to focus on what we want to do.”
Bristol, declared that he was saddened that the country had no card last Boxing Day, hence the decision to stage one this year. The `Sons of Champions’ card will take on an international flavor as boxers from the USA, Suriname and St Lucia are expected to participate.
Seven races carded for KMTC’s pre-emancipation meet slated for July 30 THE Kennard’s Memorial Turf Club (KMTC) will stage a seven-race meet on July 30 in observance of Emancipation Day at its club, Bush Lot farm, Corentyne, Berbice, beginning at 13:00hrs. The feature event on the day’s card is opened to horses classified `B2 and Lower’ Special Weights over a distance of eight furlongs and the winner will earn for its owner $1M, while the other top three performers will receive $500,000, $250,000 and $125,000 respectively. Entrance fee for the event is $110,000 per horse. The main supporting event is a five-furlong race for horses classified `E Class non winners and F and lower open. The winning stable will receive $400,000, while the other top three finishers will earn $200,000, $100,000 and $50,000 respectively. There will also be a five-furlong race for animals classified `L’ non winners and the winner will earn $110,000, while the second, third and fourth place finishers will receive $55,000, $27,000 and $13,000 respectively. Two seven-furlong races are also carded: one for horses classified H1 and Lower with the winner earning $250,000, while the other top three performers will be rewarded with $125,000, $62,000 and $31,000 respectively. The other seven-furlong race is opened to Guyana bred three-year old and older horses and has as a first prize $240,000. The second, third and fourth place finishers will receive $120,000, $60,000 and $30,000 respectively. There will also be two six-furlong races: one for horses classified `K’ non winner5s and `L’ open and the winner will earn $120,000. The second, third and fourth place finishers will collect $60,000, $30,000 and $15,000 respectively. The other six-furlong event is opened to animals classified `J2 and Lower’ and will see the winner receiving $140,000 and the other top three performers will draw down $70,000, $35,000 and $17,000 respectively. These races will be run under the rules of the Guyana Horse Racing Authority and entries close on June 21. No late entries will be entertained. To enter horses for the event, horse owners and trainers are asked to contact Fizal (657-7010), Nikita (662-4668), Dennis (640-6396 or 609-9143), T. jagdeo (618-7278) Justice Kennard (623-7609) or Daloo (689-0629).