Page 34

Sorrento’s narrow escape secures top spot DIVISION ONE

By Brodie Cowburn SORRENTO have maintained their spot on the top of the MPNFL Division One ladder with a thrilling two-point victory over Edithvale-Aspendale on Saturday. The highly anticipated clash between the league’s first and third placed teams took place at Sorrento’s David Macfarlane Reserve, and it was the home side that came rushing out of the gates with a strong first term. Despite looking the stronger team with a two-goal lead at the first break, it took no time at all for Edithvale-Aspendale to work their way back into the contest, thanks in part to their accuracy in front of goal. The game remained close throughout the rest of the day, but it was Sorrento who had their noses in front at the finish line. Sorrento’s Nick Corp put on a match-winning performance for his side, with his four goals helping Sorrento to a 12.14 (86) to 13.6 (84) win. In the round’s other high profile clash, it was second place taking on fourth place as Frankston YCW hosted Mt Eliza at John Coburn Oval. The normally dominant Frankston YCW were reeling from a run of two straight losses and would have been keen to set the record straight and reclaim top position on the ladder with a big win against a strong opponent. After a tight first quarter, the game looked set to be a high scoring and even contest. Each side kicked five goals apiece as Mt Eliza held a narrow lead at the first break. After quarter time, Mt Eliza overran their highly fancied opponents, establishing a 14 point lead at the half-time break. Frankston YCW didn’t let Mt Eliza run away with the game though and remained within touching distance.

Over run: Mt Eliza got to grips with Frankston YCW at John Coburn Oval. Picture: Andrew Hurst

Faced with overcoming a seven-point deficit in the final quarter, they were far from down and out. Despite showing signs of fight, the comeback was not meant to be, as Mt Eliza kicked away to secure a comfortable 19-point win to take them to second place on the ladder. Jordan Moncrieff continued his sterling form this season with a best on ground performance for Mt Eliza, kicking two goals and contributing well around the ground. With their next game being against top of the ladder Sorrento, Frankston YCW find themselves staring down

the barrel of four consecutive losses, an unprecedented run for the champion side. A bad loss in that game could see them slip as low as sixth by the end of next round. There will be plenty of work to be done in order to get back into the form that is expected of them, as Frankston YCW were left to lick their wounds after an 11.7 (73) to 13.14 (92) defeat. The most impressive performance of the weekend came from Bonbeach Recreation Reserve, as Pines travelled to take on Bonbeach. Both clubs had suffered from inconsistent seasons so far, and at the first

break it was the home side who held a two-point lead. After quarter time, a fire was lit under Pines, who were simply unstoppable from that point on. Former North Melbourne forward Aaron Edwards has only been back from a knee reconstruction for a little more than a month, but you wouldn’t have thought it by watching his performance on Saturday. Edwards put on one of the best individual games from any player in the history of the league, kicking an astonishing 13 goals to punish a miserable Bonbeach side. Edwards’ massive haul took him to top of the goal kicking leaderboard, and

if he continues this form he will be hard to overtake. What looked a promising contest at the beginning eventually turned into a one-sided display of domination, as Bonbeach fell to Pines 8.6 (54) to 24.13 (157). Elsewhere, another intriguing clash was taking place between Seaford and Mornington, in a game which would see the loser condemned to last place on the ladder. With both teams playing for pride, it was a tough and even contest, with the lead changing hands at numerous points throughout the day. The lead at each break in play stood at less than a goal. In the final quarter Seaford had plenty of opportunities to put the game to bed, but let themselves down by kicking just one goal and five behinds. Capitalising on Seaford’s inaccuracy, Mornington were able to kick three goals straight in the final term to run out as four-point winners, 9.14 (68) to 11.6 (72). It was Mornington’s Lachlan Gorka who kicked the major to put his side in front with a little more than a minute to play, which was enough to secure his team the victory. The win is Mornington’s second in a row, which takes them off the bottom of the ladder, a position now occupied by their Seaford opponents. In the final game of the weekend, Rosebud’s disappointing season went from bad to worse as they were easily dealt with at home by the Frankston Bombers. Despite Rosebud holding a one-point lead at quarter time, Frankston quickly established a comfortable lead which would prove to be insurmountable. Frankston’s Jarrad Grant proved influential in the win, booting six goals to help his side to an 8.10 (58) to 15.12 (102) win.

Dromana’s undefeated run threatened DIVISION TWO

By Brodie Cowburn DROMANA’S undefeated start to the year nearly came undone in a scrappy contest at home, as they were almost overrun by a plucky Langwarrin side in MPNFL Division Two action on Saturday. Dromana, who pumped their opposition by over 100 points last week, started well to take a 13-point lead into quarter-time but were put on the back foot as Langwarrin struck back to cut the deficit to just one goal at the main break. The third quarter was all Dromana, but despite their dominance, they couldn’t punish Langwarrin on the scoreboard, as they only scored two goals and six behinds for the quarter. With a 22-point lead in hand going into the final term, Dromana looked on top, but they hadn’t landed the killer blow yet. Langwarrin battled bravely to keep themselves alive, and were much the better team in the last quarter, kicking three goals to one to cut down the lead. Unfortunately for Langwarrin though, as the final siren blew all they had won was respect, with first place Dromana holding on to win 9.15 (69) to 7.11 (53) to keep their undefeated streak intact. The most entertaining contest of the round came out of RJ Rowley Reserve, as Rye hosted Somerville in a clash between two teams looking to stabilise shaky starts to their seasons. The two evenly matched teams traded the lead back and forth, but it was Rye who eventually established a comfortable advantage, leading by 28 points at the 10-minute mark of the final quarter. Needing to overcome a five-goal deficit with-


Frankston Times

4 June 2018

out much time to play, Somerville had their backs to the wall but didn’t give up the fight. The away team got one back through Justin Allsopp, before quickly kicking another three goals to reduce the lead to one behind with mere minutes left to play. With the contest hanging in the balance, it was Somerville’s Timothy McGenniss who proved to be the hero, as he kicked his third for the game to put his team ahead, which would be enough for them to secure a miracle comeback win 12.15 (87) to 13.15 (93). Playing at home, Pearcedale were keen to make amends for their 100-point defeat to Dromana last week as they faced Red Hill on Saturday. Red Hill though, reeling from their one-point loss to Karingal last week, wanted it more than their opponents, and were absolutely ruthless in heaping more misery on a helpless Pearcedale side. Pearcedale could only manage four goals for the entire afternoon and again were put to the sword in another devastating 100-point defeat. Red Hill’s 12 individual goalkickers tell the story of their comprehensive team performance, with Daniel Allsop named best on ground in the 4.10 (34) to 21.13 (139) win away from home. Red Hill will need to carry this momentum through to their next game, as they are set to take on undefeated Dromana at Red Hill Recreation Reserve next Sunday. Elsewhere, Crib Point were not able to follow up on their first win for the year last week, as they fell to an impressive Chelsea side at Chelsea Reserve on Saturday. Chelsea were impressive right from the start

and went into half-time already ahead by 58 points. Curtis Bywater was among the best for Chelsea, as he kicked three majors to take his tally for the year to 32, just one goal shy of the top of the league’s goalkicking ranks. Mykelti Lefau followed up his impressive five-goal haul from last week with another two goals for his side against Chelsea, but it was little help as Crib Point was comprehensively beaten 16.18 (114) to 4.7 (31). It was also business as usual for secondplaced Karingal, who easily accounted for Tyabb at Bunguyan Reserve. A third quarter which saw Karingal score four goals to Tyabb’s zero proved to be the difference, as the match finished Tyabb 7.6 (48) to Karingal 11.13 (79). Matthew Dimkos was the standout performer for Tyabb, but his five goals were not enough to help his team mount any sort of challenge. At Glover Reserve, the result also went as expected as Devon Meadows took on Hastings at home. Hastings, sitting in fourth place and looking for their third win on the trot following a fourpoint victory against Rye last week, looked set for a challenge during the first quarter. The contest was tough and even, and they went into the first break surprisingly behind by two points. After a slow start, Hastings quickly found another gear and looked much the better team throughout the rest of the day. Led by a four-goal performance from in-form Luke Hewitt, Hastings were able to secure a fairly hassle-free victory 9.10 (64) to 16.16 (112).

On the up: Chelsea comfortably won against Crib Point at Chelsea Reserve. Picture: Andrew Hurst

4 June 2018  

Frankston Times 4 June 2018

4 June 2018  

Frankston Times 4 June 2018