Page 10


Husband, wife ‘assaulted’ Stephen Taylor

Man breaks leg in scooter fall A SEAFORD man had a narrow escape when he inadvertently drove his mobility scooter off a Frankston train station platform and into the path of an oncoming train, 11.15am, Saturday 23 September. The 69-year-old was attempting to manoeuvre the scooter on Platform 2 when he ran over the edge and crashed to the ground. He suffered a severely broken left leg, police said. The Metro Trains driver saw the man fall and managed to stop the train, reportedly causing traffic delays at the Overton Rd level crossing. Ambulance, fire brigade and police attended the incident and the man was taken by ambulance to The Alfred hospital. Services between Frankston and Carrum resumed at 12.20pm after the mobility scooter was removed from the tracks. There were delays of up to an hour between Carrum and Frankston; two services had to be cancelled and 10 rescheduled. “This would have been a terrifying experience and our thoughts and con-

PAGE 4 Frankston Times 2 October OzChild-TFCO-AD-185x263mm_PRINT 1 2017

cern are for our passenger involved,” Metro Trains spokesperson Marcus Williams said.  “We’re grateful for the professionalism and care provided by our staff who responded immediately and assisted the emergency services when they arrived shortly after. “Although this type of incident is rare, we are always working to provide a safe and accessible network for everyone and partner with accessibility organisations. “We are currently investigating this incident. “ Mr Williams said Metro had established an accessibility reference group to provide advice and guidance to continuously improve the accessibility on the metropolitan rail network.  “Groups such as Vision Australia, Guide Dogs Victoria, Travellers Aid and Scope provide travel training through events such as Try Before You Ride seminars, which encourage customers to practice boarding and alighting trains safely,” he said. Stephen Taylor

PATTERSON Lakes resident Steven Taylor is appealing for witnesses after alleging he and his wife were assaulted by a Fisheries Victoria officer when they returned to the Olivers Hill, Frankston boat ramp on Friday 22 September. Mr Taylor said the “entirely unexpected” alleged assault occurred after they returned from a boat ride to Mornington. The alleged assault with fists, baton and capsicum spray left him with broken front teeth and facial and bodily bruising, while his wife received severe facial bruising after being “stomped on three times”. Acting Senior Sergeant Patrick Hayes, of Frankston police, said later: “I can confirm our attendance at an incident on Friday 22 September at the Frankston jetty. “This matter is currently being investigated and the details of all parties were obtained at the scene.” The Victorian Fisheries Authority confirmed an “altercation” occurred but would not elaborate. “On Friday 22 September at around 2.25pm, two fisheries officers attempted to conduct an inspection of two people at Olivers Hill boat ramp in Frankston resulting in an altercation,” the VFA said in a statement.  “Victoria Police are investigating the incident and, therefore, it is not appropriate to make any further comment.”  Mr Taylor said there was “absolutely no reason [for the attack] considering

‘Still trembling’: Shauna Martin’s injuries from the alleged attack included severe bruising to her neck, arms, shoulder and elbow. Picture: Supplied

we weren’t even fishing”. He said the two Fisheries officers in plain clothes asked, “How did you go?” when they approached him at the ramp. “I assumed they were just fishermen and replied ‘good’,” he said. “I told them we had gone for a cruise to Mornington and back on a calm day. “[One of the men] then stated he was from Fisheries and asked for my identification. I complied with his request and showed [it] and replied that I didn’t need a fishing licence because I was not fishing.

“He then said he and his partner would inspect my boat and car. I said, ‘Fine, go for it, there’s only cheese and crackers and a few drinks in the esky’.” Mr Taylor said his boat had “no rods set up, no tackle box, no bait – no signs of any fishing whatsoever”. Tensions escalated after Mr Taylor got a “tad mouthy” and challenged the officer’s right to inspect his boating safety gear rather than his fishing gear. “He got offended by my reply and went to spray me with his capsicum spray,” he said. “I went to jump in the car and wind up the window when he hit me numerous times to the face and chest area [while] trying to grab the car keys. “I was being pounded, with blood everywhere, and lost my front teeth.” Mr Taylor’s wife Shauna Martin screamed at the other fisheries officer to stop the alleged attack. “She ran around to stop him [and] he punched her to ground and then stomped her head three times. “Eventually he stopped after his partner shouted: ‘Stop, stop, you’ll kill her’. “It’s a low act to assault anyone, let alone a defenceless woman and especially without any reason – regardless of a little lip. “He had no right to use violence.” Mr Taylor, who said he had previous criminal convictions, the “most recent 13 years ago”, confirmed he was seeking legal advice. He is urging witnesses to come forward – especially those who he thinks may have filmed the incident. “There were about 150 people in the car park that day,” he said.

28/09/17 2:26 PM

2 October 2017  

Frankston Times 2 October 2017