Issuu on Google+

The Learning from our history SAWYER NEWMAN Lode Writer The Michigan Mining School first opened in 1886, several decades after the Keweenaw’s copper mining boom had begun. Established by the state of Michigan, the school was meant to help meet the demand for men experienced in mine engineering. Up to this point, the majority of skilled miners were coming exclusively from Cornwall, England. With the influx of men, a substantial job market for new skilled American trained mine engineers was created. The Michigan Mining School started off with four faculty members and twenty-three students. The campus consisted of only the second floor of what was once the Houghton Fire Hall (now the Continental Fire Company). The name of the college was changed to the Michigan College of Mines (MCM) News: Students share their favorite study spots 3 under president Marshman E. Wadsworth, who served the school from 1887 to 1898. It was also during this time that the MCM was moved to its present day location. Fred W. McNair, the proceeding president from 1899 to 1924, saw to the consolidation of the college’s faculty members and the construction of some new buildings. McNair also helped to develop MCM’s image, promoting the engineering school as having a, “Unique location, giving it unusual facilities, distinctive methods of instruction, [having] special courses given.” He also said, “All work in charge of widely experienced men.” The first female faculty member would not arrive to the Michigan College of Mines until 1927. Ella Woods was hired to work as an assistant professor in the Humanities Department. One year later, she became an associate professor and in 1935 she was made a full professor. By 1937, News: 4 Landlords concerned about empty rentals she was made the head of geography and languages. Woods was hired 5 years before females were allowed to pursue degrees at the MCM. However, after female enrollment was allowed, Woods also gained the title, “Dean of Women.” Though a seemingly sexist position, Woods used it to encourage female involvement around campus and in coeducational programs. Undergoing a series of changes and developments, the MCM officially became Michigan Technological University in 1964 under J. Robert Van Pelt’s tenure that lasted from 1956 to 1964. Under his leadership, the college’s change into a university came with the revitalization of the offered PhD programs and research initiative programs. This was also the period that saw the construction of Wadsworth Residence Hall, Fisher, Daniell Heights and the current Library. By 1963, enrollment was Photos courtesy of the Michigan Tech Archives Continued on page 5 Pulse: 7 “The Horrors of H.P. Lovecraft” will premiere Nov. 29 Opinion: 11 Texting and driving not worth the risk Sports: 14 Huskies Football GLIAC Champions after win over Warriors


Related publications