Page 1

Minutes 1st e-meeting Activities and Events Committee 24.10.2013

Minutes made by Nora Hilbert Secretary ActCom 2012/13 – 2nd half


Present people Flavius Sibu – ActCom Speaker 2012/13 Nora Hilbert – ActCom Secretary 2012/13 Claudia Rock (Tübingen) Martijn Claes(Leuven) Isabella Rojs (Graz) Denise Thomas (Marburg) Petronela Bordeianu Christoph Götz (BoE Vice President)

Anja Šmit (Ljubljana) Robbert Kramer (Utrecht) Rachel Abela (Malta) Femke Faber (Leuven) Ovidiu Copaceanu (Timisoara) Marija Dujić (Zagreb) Emilija Milošević (Beograd)

Agenda Present people ........................................................................................................................................ 2 Agenda..................................................................................................................................................... 2 1.

Welcome.......................................................................................................................................... 3

2.

Approval of the agenda ................................................................................................................... 3

3.

Minute taker .................................................................................................................................... 3

4.

Introduction of the members .......................................................................................................... 3

5.

'Get to know each other' – game .................................................................................................... 3

6.

Introduction to ActCom work.......................................................................................................... 4 6.1.

Database of events/ERL........................................................................................................... 4

6.2.

FAQ .......................................................................................................................................... 4

6.3.

Evaluation of congresses ......................................................................................................... 5

6.3.1.

Regional congresses ............................................................................................................ 5

6.3.2.

Annual congress .................................................................................................................. 5

6.4.

Stress Calendar ........................................................................................................................ 5

6.5.

Communication ....................................................................................................................... 5

7.

Voting of representatives ................................................................................................................ 6

8.

Live meeting .................................................................................................................................... 6

9.

Missed topics ................................................................................................................................... 6

10.

Closure ......................................................................................................................................... 7

2


1. Welcome Nora opens the meeting at 20:41 and welcomes everybody to the 1st e-meeting in the working period of 2013/14! Afterwards she gives the word to Christoph, our new Vice-President and therefore in charge of the contact to committees. Christoph: “First of all: welcome and congratulations on your decision to join ActCom, especially the new members. As Vice President and coordinator of all committees, I will attend your e-meetings during the next year, so I can update the Board on all the developments. I will also ask some things from you here and there during the year, but not right now. Only one thing for the to be elected new ActCom representatives: in your new function you are also part of the Organisation and Strategy Committee which will also meet later this year, or more precisely on the weekend 13th to 15th of December in Marburg – more information will follow, but already SAVE THE DATE” Nora thanks Christoph for his welcoming word and introduced the rules for the typing meeting. “Some short rules: ° If you want to approve something: Type (y), ‘Yes’ or another clear sign of approval. ° If you want to abstain: Write ‘Abstaining’ ° If you want to vote against, make your opinion clear in writing ‘No’, ‘Against’ or any other clear sign ° If you want to say anything else, please first type an ‘x’, you can do so anytime; Nora will tell you when it is your turn ° If you want to say more than just a few words please formulate it before somewhere else and copy it into the conversation when it is your turn (in this way the meeting will go fast and there will be less waiting time)” Everybody approved the rules.

2. Approval of the agenda Nora suggested an agenda. The suggested agenda was approved by all.

3. Minute taker Nora was approved to take the minutes.

4. Introduction of the members Nora asks everybody to write down their name and entity. For further information you can check this forum: <http://www.egea.eu/forum/topic/14431> Nora thanks everybody who wrote some lines in there already. She reminds Claudi, Femke and Nastya to shortly introduce them now and write some more in the above mentioned forum.

5. 'Get to know each other' – game There was a little game introduce by mail before. You had to try and get the answer to three questions (1. More information about this person’s pre-university life. 2. How much time this person will have for ActCom next year? 3. A secret), the person’s name was send to you by mail. But the person should not notice that you were spying on him/her.

3


Most people liked the game but weren’t really successful. Marija was very successful, found answers to all three questions and Femke didn’t really noticed she was spying. So congratulation to Marija as our best secret agent!

6. Introduction to ActCom work Nora introduces ActCom’s work: “As most of you already learned during the AC, ActCom is like the secret agent in the back of EGEA. A lot of work contains the collection of data, the analyzing of these data and the storage in excel files. This may seem boring in the first hand, but actually with this you get to know a lot EGEA better. For a smooth transition certain people that got experience in last year agreed to help and took over a certain project. I will name this person within every projects description. Thank you a lot, especially to retiring members to be available for the transition! :) Last year we had for each project a project group to work on it. The most important steps and decisions were always put in the forum so that every member could stay updated and to have it achieved for the future. With this all members were able to give feedback/ their opinion to each project, but there is a core of people developing the project (you are also able to change, when you are not interested in a project anymore or another project needs more (wo)man power, etc)” Everybody agrees upon working in project groups again. “More about communication will be said later (6.5 Communication), so let’s start with our projects!”

6.1.

Database of events/ERL

“The Database of events contains information about each event organized from one or more cooperating EGEA entities. With this information the Entity Ranking List (ERL) is calculated which shows congress organizers how to rank (mainly) the waiting list for their congresses. Also this data is used to write reports and it serves to have an overview and archive about EGEA’s activities. Last year Bella, Michael and Nora were constantly working on the database within a clear task division. As this project was established two years ago, we developed it further in many ways. In general it was a successful project of ActCom, but there are still many things to improve! Besides the constant data collection we need to do the ERL right now. The soon we can publish it the better! Bella offered to do a transition with this project!” All questions were answered. All agreed that right now there is introduction to all projects and afterwards if you are interested in a project you will write it in the forum.

6.2.

FAQ

“The “Frequently Asked Questions for event organizers” contains a lot of useful advice and help for organizing events. This project was started already some years ago. The content is done, it just needs proof reading. Last year Claudi and Rachel worked in this project. Rachel offered to finish this project this year! “ There were discussions about when to publish it: If we should wait for new website or not. We agreed upon not waiting. And we want to have this FAQ published as soon as possible and then start working on an improved volume 2.

4


6.3.

Evaluation of congresses

“The Evaluation of Congresses is done by ActCom since two years, to get an independent and comparable evaluation report for all congresses. This is to develop our congresses and help future congress organizers. Last year we focused on getting a shorter and more effective evaluation. This project will be split for an easier explanation and working process into RCs 13 and AC 13, as they are in different stages. “ It was asked if there is access to last year’s reports. Flavius and Nora will start searching.

6.3.1.

Regional congresses

“We have the evaluation data for WRC, NBRC and EMRC 2013. For WRC a report is already drafted! Here we need people to help with interpreting the data and writing the reports. Last year Michael, Claudi and Nora were working on this project. Michael offered to do a transition with this project!” It was mentioned to contact RC-orgas soon, to not get in the same situation as with ERC13.

6.3.2.

Annual congress

“We finally succeeded in getting the evaluation form done, it will be send soon. On this evaluation Rachel, Claudi and Nora were working. After the form is send, the work contains: sending a reminder, optional – do an evaluation for congress orga (draft is done), set a deadline and announce it, analyze the data and write a report. Claudi offered to do a transition with this project!” Questions about the evaluation were answered and the discussion move to forum.

6.4.

Stress Calendar

“The stress calendar consists of a survey and a representation of collected data on which weeks EGEAns are 'stressed'. With this calendar, organisers can check when it is the best time to place their activity. The calendar was firstly done for 2012 and the project was continued in 2013. We want to do it again for 2014 and find a way to improve the layout and visibility! Nora offered to do a transition with this project!” No questions about this project.

6.5.

Communication

Nora introduced the communication “As we are all at different places in Europe and will barely out of coincidence meet face to face it is very important that you stay in contact with the team and your representatives by internet! If you will not have time/possibility/motivation or whatever to keep up this communication flow please post this in here: http://www.egea.eu/forum/topic/14495 It’s mostly no problem if you are absent from internet for a certain time, as long as your teammates know about it! So tell us about your travels – so we do not worry, but ask you for your stories as well as your exams/ tough working period – so we can motivate you with some e-hugs! 

5


Seriously, it may not seem as a big challenge, but it is often one of the biggest difficulties within committee work to get answers to emails! ;) The communication so far was mostly done by forum, email and skype. Additionally we have a dropbox that you should all have access to and certain google documents. If you have access problems, please contact me!”

7. Voting of representatives Nora introduces: “So now we come to one of the most exciting points of the evening! We have three candidates: Denise, Robbert & Claudi! Thank you for your great applications! Somebody else wants to put forward a candidature?” Nobody wants to. “Let’s come to the rules: As nobody answered in a negative way upon my proposal to have our election during the skypemeeting, I assume it’s ok for you. Do you agree upon this? If you want to have a more anonymous way of voting, please type now!” As at least one person was in favor of anonymous voting, we are doing anonymous voting. “In this case, I would suggest that we make use of Chris’s offer to help us and get a more anonymous voting!” Christoph proposed to do the voting by using a doodle that just he can see the names. He emphasized that there are also other possible solutions and that it’s up to ActCom to decide. We decided to use a doodle. Then there was time to ask questions to the candidates. After Christoph explained all relevant rules he wrote the link to the doodle and everybody filled in his/her voting. The result was 9 – 9 – 9, for Denise – Robbert – Claudi. [Not in the meeting anymore! So a second election was needed, it was send by email to everybody with a deadline till 25th 23:59. The result of the second voting was 10-11-10 for Denise-RobbertClaudi. So Robbert was elected. A second email was send with the 3rd voting, deadline announced was 27th 12:00. This election had the result 5-7 for Denise-Claudi and therefore Claudi was voted as representative. Robbert & Claudi are the representatives of ActCom in 2013/14!]

8. Live meeting “As already said in one of the emails, we can get travel refund if we do our 1st live-meeting still in this year. For the time, you can check the doodle: http://doodle.com/9tnem3ctqmt28bc3” We didn’t came close to reach a conclusion when and where to meet. Femke asked Leuven, but they cannot host us. Marburg has no possibility either.

9. Missed topics We want to have tshirts and a member poster. The question about ActCom’s contribution to SP was asked. Flavius announced a big thank you to the team of last year and that there are recommendation letters waiting for the active members of 2012/13.

6


10. Closure Nora thanks everybody for attending the meeting and closed it at 23:19 CET.

7

1314_1st-emeeting