Public Screening Copyright Laws

Page 1

What counts as a "public performance?" -a public performance is one that takes place anywhere outside of one's private home.

Can I show a public performance without a license if: a) I own the DVD? b) I don't charge ticketing for it? c) the place I bought it from says it's ok? (or their lawyer) d) the management of the public place says it's ok? e) it's a small group? f) if I borrow it from the Library? (or are a Library*?) -The answer to all of the above is no. A screening license from the movie studio who own the copyrights, in this case, and YTINIFNI Pictures, is required. The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the U.S. Code) regulates copyright standards, and you can be prosecuted for either knowingly or unknowingly performing a public screening _______________________________ Other sources for information on copyright: The Library of Congress, United States Copyright Office U.S. Copyright Office 101 Independence Ave., S.E. Washington, D.C. 20559-6000 (202) 707-3000 The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA)

*Libraries and Organizations are required to purchase a special license, since they are loaning it to a wide audience.

Ytinifni Pictures 2600 West Olive Avenue 5th Floor, Legacy Tower, Burbank CA 91505 Office: +1 818 753 2458