Konin- a city situated on the Warta River with an exuberant historical tradition. Konin appeared on maps as a trading village as early as the times of the Roman Empire and was located on the famous Amber Route. It was possibly situated and named as Setidava on these maps in the mid-second century, by the photographer and astronomer Claudius Ptolemy. Whether or not this settlement was Konin is still disputed nowadays. Merchant caravans used this route eager to discover amber, which was the valuable resource of the time. The Royal city of Konin, located on the crossroads of the trade routes, gained municipal rights before 1285, although the written history is a few decades older. It was mentioned in undated ducal documentation from the mid-thirteenth century confirming the award of the Kaliszan Monastery of St. Lawrence (Wawrzyniec) to Lisiec village. From the fourteenth century Konin was the capital of the district and rural parish within the deanery of the Archdeacon and Archdiocese of Gniezno. It was also an important craft and trade centre and a central point of the vast royal assets. Konin was a residence to an alderman and also a non-burgh city, so its economic past is connected with the history of many cities and villages in Wielkopolska and has strong connections with the royal court in Wawel Castle and Warsaw. Over the centuries the city was home to Scots, Germans, Russians, Jews, Armenians, Belarusians, Czechs, Georgians and many other nations. Konin - one might say â€“ was a City of European Nations. Preserved monuments only slightly reflect these European ties.
Milestone of Konin
Koninâ€™s longest period as a city settlement finished in 1331 due to the invasion of the Teutonic Knights, which devastated the city and the surrounding area. After concluding a peace deal in 1343, King Kazimierz the Great proceeded to rebuild Konin and partially encircled the city with a wall (which lasted in a ruin state until the early 19th century) The information about the local parish church we learn from a document made in1357.
From the eighth decade of the fourteenth century there are more frequent mentions of municipal representatives, including a mayor, counsellors and assessors. Konin became the centre of one of the richest royal lands – a nonroyal burgh including the town and adjacent villages. An important moment in history was the formation of the district of Konin. As the capital of a new administrative unit of the country it became the headquarters of the regional tribunal and magistrate court. In unknown circumstances, Konin became the centre of a vast territorial deanery which was part of the archdeaconship of Gniezno. The legend of the emergence of the city: Duke Leszek, while hunting in the impenetrable forests, rode alone after a buck losing his entourage during the pursuit. When tired, he sat under a tree and he was approached by a group of indigenous savages. Seeing the rich wares of the Duke the savages decided to rob him. Leszek tried to defend himself, using the Duke’s integrity. But the savages didn’t know about the integrity moreover they didn’t even know about the Duke himself. He threatened the group, but they laughed safe in the knowledge that Plac Wolności nobody could get through the forest without them noticing. They knocked the Duke over and started robbing him of his expensive garments. Suddenly they heard the sound of horse’s hooves. The Duke and the savages were convinced that it was the Duke’s entourage coming to the rescue. The savages quickly dropped their booty and ran away. The Prince not wanting to show himself in such a state quickly got dressed. When he screamed the sound of hooves stopped, then began to recede. As it turned out, it was not the Duke’s entourage, but a herd of horses, grazing in forest glades, that had been spooked by a predator. The Duke, grateful to the animals that inadvertently saved his life, decided to establish a town and call it Konin (polish koń- a horse) and he put the horse on the crest.
In 2000, on the pavement surrounding Plac Wolności, the crests of Konin’s partner cities were laid.
Henin - Beaumont (France)
Santa Susana (Spain)
Wakefield (United Kingdom)
Cooperating cities: Joniskis (Lithuania)
Konin Council Office
Plac Wolności In medieval times Plac Wolności functioned as a market. During these times in the middle of the square stood a Gothic town hall, until fire destroyed it in 1707. The tenements surrounding the square in the old town come from the late eighteenth and nineteenth century, represented mainly in a classical style. Even then, the market itself and the streets leading to it were paved. In 2000, on the pavement surrounding Plac Wolności, the crests of Konin’s partner cities were laid. The main thoroughfare of the medieval town was a route connecting Kalisz with Torun. From the North West corner of the square, the road leads north to the bridge in the direction of Torun. In the Middle Ages in this place between this corner and the market used to stand the Toruń Gate. In the second half of the nineteenth century, an Orthodox Church was built between the river and the old county hall. It was destroyed during World War I and finally demolished in 1924.
The Old County Hall. On the north side of Plac Wolności, stands the old county building from 1828. The two-storey building, covered with a pedimented roof, with a distinct classic character was built for the Commissioner of the Konin District. After the liquidation of the wards in 1837 the Russian Head of District was situated there. The building has always served as an administrative building. Since independence in 1918 until 1975, county authorities have held an office there. Since 1996, the restored building houses the Town Office. Zemełka’s House The oldest brick dwelling in Konin was built between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries’. The House’s current appearance is the result of reconstruction work carried out between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries’. In the south western corner of the ground floor, a chamber with a tunnel and a cross vault has been preserved. An entrance vestibule along with two vaulted cellars are covered with a barrel-vault roof. Founder of this tenement house, Jan Zemełka was born in 1539 and was one of the most prominent Konin townsmen.
Konin City Hall by night
Konin City Hall and statue of J. Piłsudski
City Hall In contrast to its Gothic predecessor which was situated on the old market square which burnt down during a city fire in 1796. The present city hall was built by Prussian authorities on the corner of 3Maja and Wiosny Ludow at the turn of the 19th century. (pre 1803). A two storey classical style building built to a trapezoid plan has a facade with four Doric Konin City Hall columns supporting a triangular tympanum, inside which houses a bas-relief city crest. On top sits a short clock tower built probably before 1829, after which a clock was moved from a Cistercian monestry in Ląd and placed within. On the rear of the City Hall old merchant stalls were located and erected on a horseshoe plan in the first half of the nineteenth century. These buildings are divided by Doric columns supporting a wide cornice. In 2001 in the renovated interior a meeting room for the city council was situated in the City Hall. Zofia Urbanowska’s Manor House Situated on the corner of Zofii Urbanowskiej street and Obrońców Westerplatte street, on the west side adjacent to the garden. The building was erected in the second half of the nineteenth century in the classical style with a gabled pitched roof. The attic lining and boards are decoratively carved and the facade of the western garden has an open wooden porch. The Manor House has been recently restored, in 1957 on its front wall a plaque was placed dedicated to an author of a positivist novel for young people – Zofia Urbanowska. She resided there between 1870 - 1874 and 1910 -1939. Currently the building houses the Registry Office
Z. Urbanowska’s Manor House
6Z. Urbanowska’s Manor House
Z. Urbanowska’s Manor House
Z. Urbanowska’s Manor House
The Church of St Bartłomiej Dating from the late fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The Gothic style architecture of the church is apparent. In the chancel, the gravestone of the Marshall of the Crown, an alderman of Konin- Stanisław Przyjemski ( died in 1595). In another chapel lies the tomb of his brother, also an alderman of Konin, Krzystof Przyjemski. One of the most valuable chapels was founded by Jan Zemełka in 1607. The Roman Milestone In the square adjacent to the Church of St. Bartłomiej in the old part of Konin stands a milestone 252cm high made from sandstone. Carved into the top half of the milestone is a four line Latin inscription. “The year of the incarnation of our Lord 1151 To Kalisz from Kruszwica here almost midpoint This formula shows the road and justice Ordered by Count Piotr to be undertaken And carefully divide this road in two So you would, remarkable traveller, Pray to gracious God” According to Jan Długosz the milestone was erected in “Medium Punctum” at the halfway point between Kalisz and Kruszwica 52km from each of the two cities. It is the oldest signpost in Poland. It use to stand in a cemetery which no longer exists and in 1818 was moved next to the church. Milestone of Konin
Synagogue and the Talmudic School
Located in the north western part of Plac Zamkowy. Separated from the street by a wall with a decorated metal grate and two gates. Built in 1832 and extended and renovated in 1883, the synagogue has a classical Jewish style with English neo-gothic elements. Its windows have rounded shapes and semi circles in their highest niches. The faces and corners of the facade of the synagogue are rustically decorated. Inside the main hall on the eastern wall and four columns are originally preserved and reconstructed paintings. The paintings depict an arch supported by columns. The building was partially destroyed during World War II and was rebuilt in 1966. In the years between 1983 and 2005 the building housed the public library. Plac Zamkowy Located in the western part of the medieval town . The name refers to the castle which was located on the western side of the square. The castle, built in the second part of the fourteenth century, was demolished during the Swedish war, it was never rebuilt and became a ruin. Until 1939 the square – called by the Jews – Teper Mark (Pottery Market) was the centre of Konin’s Jewish District. The name Plac Zamkowy was given in 1930, the surrounding buildings come mainly from the nineteenth century and are habitable tenement buildings.
Evangelical – Augsburg Church of the Holy Spirit Located in the former Kolski suburb, on the most southern point of 3 Maja street. It was built between 1854-1856. The tower was added in 1872. Between 1900 – 1950 the church was renovated, resulting in today’s architectural form know as Neo-Roman. During the renovation in 1903 the construction of the tower was completed. Close to the church is a classic manse from 1840 which was renovated between 1928 and 1929. Monastery of the Franciscans and St Maria Magdalena Church The monastery complex is situated on a north facing slope. Founded in 1631, on the site of an original wooden church which burned down in 1661, the present church was constructed in 1727. The monastery itself is adjacent to the church on the east side and was built in 1733. The Baroque Church of St Maria Magdalena has three partially reconstructed and late baroque altars dating from the mid eighteenth century, with paintings derived mainly from the eighteenth century and a gothic sculpture of Madonna with child. The monastery buildings were built to a horseshoe plan with an internal cloister and rotunda. The interior houses a Gothic sculpture of Pieta (a representation of the Virgin Mary mourning over the dead body of Jesus). Next to the monastery entrance hangs a late Baroque crucifix. The Monastery is surrounded by a wall with a gate built between 1727 and 1733.
Church of St Andrzej the Apostle in Gosławice
Church in Gosławice
The Gothic Temple on Gosławskiej street near the banks of Gosławskie Lake was built in the first half of the fifteenth century, funded by the village owner Andrzej Łaskarz. The construction project was finished by Jan of Lichen, governor of Brzesk-Kujawy, the nephew of the founder. Partially destroyed in the seventeenth century, the temple was rebuilt during 17551775. The tops of the chapels roofs and the tower are Neo Gothic from the end of the nineteenth century, the church is the central building. Its four rectangular rooms: the chancel, two chapels and a porch, forming the cross are adjacent to the octagonal nave. The nave’s vaulted palm ceiling is supported by a central, slim, octagonal pillar. Whereas , featured in the side chambers are vaulted ornate star shapes. Carved on the stone ribbed supports are unique crests, The Eagle, the emblem of the Kingdom, the Cross of The Jagiellonian, Pomian, Jastrzębiec, Godziemba. The vestibule keystone depicts the head of Christ. Three neo-gothic altars are from the end of the nineteenth century the oldest monument is an octagonal stone font from the beginning of the sixteenth century decorated with renaissance motifs and eight coats of arms.
Church in Gosławice
Church in Gosławice
Church in Gosławice
Castle in Gosławice
Gothic Castle in Gosławice A towerless, brick, knight castle, situated on the south-eastern shore of Gosławice Lake. It was built by the bishop of Poznan, Andrzej Łaskarz from 1418-1426. The castle consists of two buildings set parallel to each other, covered with steep gable roofs. Buildings connect the lower wing , closing the south side of a small courtyard. The whole castle is surrounded by a fortified wall topped with battlements, and arrow slits closer to ground level. Renovated in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries the castle was then partially destroyed and was extensively renovated between 1978 and 1986 . From 1986 the castle has hosted the Regional Museum, the exhibition includes the history of Konin, Jewish history, lighting techniques and an archaeological skeleton of the elephant forest. Near to the castle there is a restored manor house from the eighteenth century with an exhibition of interior design, open air ethnography and a granary. The manor house was placed in 1980 to the model of the manor house in Ruszków close to Koło. It’s an example of the architectural tastes of the Polish gentry at the end of the eighteenth century.
Nobleman’s Manor House
Castle in Gosławice
Panoramic View of the Warta
Tourist Trails In Konin there are the origins of various tourist trails which can be used for active forms of tourism. Hiking trails are primarily marked in green which begin next to the railway station and run to Lichen Stary, Gosławice to Kawnice. They also run through the Kazimierz Forest and alongside the lakes. They connect three villages connected to the worship of the Virgin Mary: Old Lichen, Bieniszew and Kawnice. In the city centre there are a few bicycle trails which in the future will be merged into a full network of bike trails. In Konin and it’s surroundings there are a few cycling trails. The Bicycle route in green “Around Konin” creates a loop with a length of 72.2 kilometres. It combines the most interesting places located near Konin. Whilst on the paths cyclists may encounter a variety of activities, see some important historical monuments, rest in the forest of Złotogora and the Old Kazimierz Forest, visit a few lakesides and cross the Warta river on two ferries. Many lakes are inter connected naturally or by canals. Which are used to make water trails. In Konin many of the national water trails also have their origin, such as, Warta-Gopło. Starting from the mouth of the Warta river through a string of lakes: Pątnowskie, Mikorzynskie and Ślesiń and the canal system you reach Lake Gopło. Konin is on the banks of the River Warta which is considered to be a navigable inland water on the section from Śleśin Canal to the Odra estuary. The attraction of this route is the charm of the river valley landscape. Bicycle Trail
Sport Facilities Sports Hall 62-510 Konin, Al. 1 Maja 1a email@example.com www.mosirkonin.pl Sports Hall 62-510 Konin, ul. Dworcowa 2A firstname.lastname@example.org www.mosirkonin.pl Sports Hall 62-510 Konin, ul. Popiełuszki 4 email@example.com www.mosirkonin.pl Swimming Pool 62-510 Konin, ul. Szymanowskiego 5A firstname.lastname@example.org www.mosirkonin.pl Swimming Pool 62-510 Konin, Al. 1 Maja 1a email@example.com www.mosirkonin.pl
Lake Resort 62-506 Konin - Cukrownia Gosławice Swimming pool 0,52 ha. Watched not. Without equipment. Rest centre ZE PAK 62-504 Konin - Gosławice, ul.Rybacka
Stadium 62-500 Konin, ul. Dmowskiego 4 www.mosirkonin.pl City Stadium 62-500 Konin, ul. Podwale 1 tel. (063) 243 00 68 firstname.lastname@example.org www.mosirkonin.pl Tennis Courts 62-510 Konin, ul. Paderewskiego 8 tel. (063) 2113378 lub 693198188 email@example.com www.mosirkonin.pl 3 Clay Tennis Courts Tennis Courts 62-510 Konin, ul. Sosnowa tel. (063) 243 19 60 8 Clay Tennis Courts, one covered Swimming Pool
MOSiR Sports Hall
MOSiR Sports Hall
Cultural Centre of Konin
Cultural Places Cultural and Art Centre 62-510 Konin, ul. Okólna 47 a firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ckis.konin.pl House of Culture 62-510 Konin, Al. 1 Maja 7a email@example.com, www.oskard.konin.pl Energetyk Club 62-510 Konin, ul.Przemysłowa 3D firstname.lastname@example.org, www.kdk.konin.pl Konin House of Culture 62-510 Konin, Pl. Niepodległości 1 email@example.com, www.kdk.konin.pl „Wieża Ciśnień”
House of Culture 62-510 Konin, ul. Powstańców Wielkopolskich 14 firstname.lastname@example.org, www.konin.pl/mdkkonin Art Gallery “Giotto” 62-510 Konin, ul. Harcerska 26 email@example.com, www.giotto.art.pl Art Gallery „Wieża Ciśnień” 62-510 Konin, ul. Kolejowa 1a firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ckis.konin.pl Art. Gallery „Łaźnia” 62-500 Konin, ul. Kilińskiego 11 tel. 691-555-520
Regional Museum 62-505 Konin, ul. Muzealna 6 email@example.com www.muzeum.com.pl Library 62-510 Konin, ul. Wyszyńskiego 3C tel. 063 249 71 89 Public City Library 62-510 Konin, ul.Dworcowa 13 firstname.lastname@example.org www.mbp.konin.pl
Centre of Culture and Art
Accommodation Hotel Konin ** 62-510 Konin Al.1 Maja 13 email@example.com www.konin.pl/hotel-konin Hotel Pałacyk **** 62-510 Konin Al.1 Maja 15A firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com www.palacyk-konin.pl
Hotel Central *** 62-510 Konin Al.1 Maja 13 firstname.lastname@example.org www.hutnik.konin.pl Hotel FUGO * 62-510 Konin ul.Dworcowa 7 email@example.com www.hotelfugo.konin.lm.pl Youth Hostel 62-505 Konin - Gosławice ul.Staffa 5 firstname.lastname@example.org www.schronisko-goslawice.pl
City of Konin Plac Wolności 1 Konin 62-500 Konin 2010r. Text: Andrzej Łącki Photography and Graphic Design: Jerzy Sznajder archive postcards have also been used
Miasto Konin Plac WolnoĹ›ci 1 Konin 62-500