YANG YAN Architecture Portfolio
E D U C AT I O N MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE
Savannah Colledge of Arts and Design (SCAD) Savannah, GA Expected Graduation: March, 2019
YANG YAN INFO
BACHELOR OF ARCHITECTURE Hubei University of Technology Wuhan, China Graduated: June, 2011
07/2015 - 07/2016
- Individually design project and construction drawing As I got the Qualification Certificate of Speciality and Technology and became a Junior Architect in 2015, I began to independently design residential and educational buildings. In addition, I attended the whole process, which was from schematic design to construction drawing. During the process, I got a lot of practical experiences to improve myself. I was also responsible for Communicating with clients and solving the problems to fit their requirement.
SKILLS AutoCAD Sketchup Autodesk Revit 3ds Max Mental ray Adobe Photoshop Adobe Illustrator Adobe InDesign Adobe Premiere
Sketching Drafting Model Making Detailing Photography Sociability Creativity Adaptability Critical Thinking
- Project: Ningbo Chengzhuang School Planning Area: 34274 sqm. Software: Utilize SketchUp, Adobe Series for conceptual and schematic design. Using 3ds Max for Rendering, and AutoCAD for construction document. 07/2011 - 07/2015
- Assisted in conceptual design, presentation board layout and construction drawing I have been employed by this company since 2011. I have worked on a variety of residential, commercial, cultural, mixed-use, educational and urban design projects. As an assistant architect, my supervisor guided me to archive each goal during the design process. It helped me to turn the knowledge that I learned into practical experiences, and make me become more professional. - Project: Tongcheng People’s Procuratorate Area: 30556 sqm. Software: Utilize SketchUp for conceptual and schematic design. Using 3ds Max for Rendering. Also using Adobe Series for presentation sheets layout, and AutoCAD for construction document.
SCAD Achievement Scholarship Savannah, GA 2016 - present Outstanding College Student Pacesetter Wuhan, China Aug. 2008
08/2010 - 12/2010
- Assisted in conceptual design and construction document I got an opportunity of internship, when I was senior student. In this firm, I was responsible for commercial building design. It helped me to get the inspiration for my thesis project.
Outstanding Student of Military Training Wuhan, China Sep. 2006
- Project: Jinkou Commercial complex Area: 84000 sqm. Software: Utilize SketchUp for conceptual and schematic design. Using 3ds Max for Rendering. Also using Adobe Series for presentation sheets layout, and AutoCAD for construction document.
National Second-level Athlete in Basketball Wuhan, China Dec. 2004
I N V O LV E M E N T
COLLEGE STUDENT’S BADMINTON COMPETITION OF HUBEI PROVINCE 5th place winner Wuhan, China May, 2010
CENTER-SOUTH ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN INSTITUTE CO. LTD. INTERNSHIP Wuhan, China
National First-class Scholarship Wuhan, China Nov. 2007
SCAD FILM FESTIVAL volunteer Savannah, GA Oct. 28 - Nov. 4, 2017
CITIC GENERAL INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTURE DESIGN AND RESEARCH CO. LTD. ASSISTANT ARCHITECT Wuhan, China
FRESHMEN DEBATE COMPETITION 2nd place winner Wuhan, China November, 2007
CITIC GENERAL INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTURE DESIGN AND RESEARCH CO. LTD. JUNIOR ARCHITECT
07/2009 - 09/2009
CHINA CONSTRUCTION THIRD ENGINEERING BUREAU CO. LTD. INTERNSHIP Wuhan, China
- Assisted in conceptual design and presentation sheet layout - Project: Kaifeng Centeral Hospital Area: 146500 sqm Software: Utilize SketchUp for conceptual and schematic design. Using Adobe Series for presentation sheets layout
NINGBO BINJIANG SCHOOL DESIGN
Education l Architecture
TONGCHENG PEOPLE'S PROCURATORATE
Civic l Architecture
HANKOU COMMERCIAL COMPLEX PLANNING Commercial Complex l Architecture
RESTRUCTURING SAVANNAH CITYWALK
Urban l Landscape l Architecture
CHARLESTON MUSEUM OF NATURE AND CLUTURE Public l Architecture
PHOTOGRAPHY Public l Art
NINGBO BINJIANG SCHOOL DESIGN Year: May 2015 Location: Ningbo, China Cooperative design
Schools should not only serve as a place for learning, it is also a community activity center. It is a place full of vitality. Our design is not only a school but also a system of educational building facilities. It is a material space and a spiritual space. Architecture is a container for education. Our design philosophy includes rationality, experience, sharing and sustainability.
Stage Landscape Courtyard
Plaza Art Exhibition Science Exhibition
Science Gallery History Gallery
SHARING OPEN SPACE
Reduce direct sunlight area
FACADE DETAIL window frame protrudes from the wall
window frame protrudes from the wall
TONGCHENG PEOPLE'S PROCURATORATE
Year: Sep. 2013 Location: Tongchen, China Individually design
The design adopts a symmetrical design method. Raising the main entrance of the building to ref l e c t t h e fa i r n e s s a n d s e r i o u s n e s s o f t h e law with large steps and vertical lines. The inspiration of the Libra that everyone is equal.
HANKOU COMMERCIAL COMPLEX PLANNING Year: Feb. 2016 Location: Wuhan, China Cooperative design
Under the background of the development strategy of Jinkou City's integrated development strategy, the baseâ€™s location advantage is prominent. It is an important space node that connects the two major groups of Jingang and Jinkou, and is easily accessible to General Industrial Park, Jingang Port, City Green Wedge, and Jinkou. The new town and the ancient town of Jinkou form a good docking and become the center of the regional spatial structure.
RESTRUCTURING SAVANNAH CITYWALK Year: Fall 2016 Location: Savannah, USA Critic: Prof. Olin Individually design
As the savannah's government planed to move the civic center to another location, my g o a l i s t o u s e t h i s s i t e t o r e s t r u c t u r e savannah citywalk, so that make the connection b e t w e e n u r b a n a n d n a t u ra l e nv i ro n m e n t . The future of business is about collaboration, sustainability and customization. It is meant to p rov i d e a co l l a b o rat i ve e nv i ro n m e nt to connect work and play. By weaving the public area into the private buildings. In particulary, Savannah has more than 23 green parks. The park is architecturally and structurally pard of this progam. People seeking pleasure can experience different progam for work, play, eat and rest.
NEW VS EXISTING
CONNEC T CONNEC T
LANDSCAPE DETAIL PLAN
LANDSCAPE DETAIL PLAN
CHARLESTON MUSEUM OF NATURE AND CLUTURE
Year: Winter 2016 Location: Charleston, USA Critic: Prof. Ronaszegi Individually design
The goal of this project is to design a museum in Charleston which can bring more people to come to this place and enjoy the public space. The site is close to the river which has the great view of the waterfront. Using the beautiful landscape to attract and revitalize population density back to the area. Bringing natrual elements into the museum to make the building more sustainable.
GROUND FLOOR PLAN
2ED FLOOR PLAN
Winter: Ventilation strategy is focused on heat recycling with limited to (around 20% of oberall air cycle) incoming fresh air. In addtion, indoor air itâ€™s being purified and humidified by plant in a conservatory.
3RD FLOOR PLAN
Summer: Ventilation strategy is focused on cross ventilation. Pressure differences encourages cross ventilation which also cools the building down. 4TH FLOOR PLAN
AUDITORIUM DETAIL PLAN
AUDITORIUM DETAIL SECTION
SECTION DETAIL MODEL
HEAT PUMP HEAT EXCHANGER THERMAL EXCHANGER
WALL DETAIL SECTION
Year: Fall 2017 Location: Savannah, USA Critic: Prof. Jalbert Individually design During this process, I find a lot of fun that is never discovered before. At first, I bend the matches to make them look like human, and give different kinds of stories to them. As I focus more and more on this process, I start to try to use another common objects such as cigarette, pencil, spoon, eggs and so on. For me, itâ€™s a really significant experience. It teaches me to appreciate art and life in different perspectives.