Page 1

W O H 2 . 0 | Te c h n o l o g y | Te e n s | M u s i c | C h r i s t i a n | G l o b a l September/October 2008





9/11: We Will Never Forget The Haunting and Tragic Images Will Live With Us Forever

Mercy Me—Following God’s Lead

Rush of Fools

Volume 2 Issue 2

Table of Contents


The Haunting and Tragic Images Will Live With Us forever


4 8 10 12 14 16

September/October Volume 2 Issue 2

20 Hours 9/11 Hope We Will Never Forget

Fear No Evil: Standing in the Shadow of 9/11 Jennifer Sands: A 9/11 Widow’s Continuing Journey

A Man Called Chris

17 32 34 38 57

Departments Love Lives Forever Christian Festivals: Not Just Entertainment How Will I Ever Live Without You? Canine Volunteers Lighten Spirits More Like Dogs

18 20 21 23 31

Shooting stars: Rush of Fools Cornerstone: Mercy Me Z-9 Reilly Footprints John the Raptis Our Green Earth

Second life



Book Review Childrens Reading List


Taking It To The Streets


The Gospel is the Best News

41 42

No Matter What Testimony of God’s Love




Marissa Devotion


Grief Counseling



No Black, No White, Just Bluez


POD & Red Music Review


Scripted Scriptures


Spring Blaze




Music Boat 2008


Second Life in the News


The Anglican Cathedral of Second Life


Groups: Joining Together

WOH Executive Board

woh 2.0




Let the Games Begin


The Grieving Grace

Margie Baxley CEO Deb Anderson Editor in Chief Robert New: Director

Honduras Photos


R. M. Colon: Advertising Executive

Sheryn Buckingham: Entertainment Director Cathi Comer: Director of Marketing

teen scene

Cover Photo and 9/11 photos taken by:

R. M. Colon

Logo Created by: Rick Good Wings of Hope Photographers: AJ Scortino and Rick Good Graphic on page 57 designed by sirographics .com




Romans 12:2


Childhood Grief

20 Hours

the doctor had checked the baby and they let Renee’ go in there.

by: Margie Baxley

July 15, 2008 at 2:30 p.m. my grandson Nicholai came into the world. I was there when he was born, and nothing can beat that feeling of watching your grandbaby being born. When he was born he cried once and after they let Renee’ hold him they took him to weigh him and get his id bracelet on and to warm him up, saying that in two hours he would be back with his mother. Two hours passed, then three: they kept saying he wasn’t warm enough. They had him under a heat lamp, trying to warm him up. This was hard for me, because I couldn’t be two places at once, I wanted to be with my daughter and I wanted to be with my grandson, even just looking through the nursery window. 4 Wings of Hope

Then after a few hours had passed, they noticed that he was “floppy”: they’d pick up his arm and let go and it would fall right down; he was very lethargic. They checked his oxygen and his heart rate and found out they were both low, so they gave him oxygen: it’s a scary sight to see a three hour old baby have on an oxygen mask. After a few minutes, the mask wasn’t enough so they moved him to an incubator. And he just lay there; the other babies would cry and wiggle and Nicholai just lay there. They finally let his daddy in the nursery with him, so he could touch him and talk to him. Finally after a couple more hours

They ran blood tests, and we waited and prayed. People all over the world prayed: I really can’t imagine any baby having that many people from so many different places praying. It was amazing. By 10:30 that night his heart rate and oxygen were normal, but they were still waiting for his body temperature to go up. The blood tests came back and they were normal. The doctor couldn’t find anything wrong with him. I went and looked at him at 2:30 a.m. and he was wiggling: what a beautiful sight, He was in the incubator till the next morning; they would let Renee’ and Alex go in there and hold him, but it wasn’t the same: I knew that till that baby was in his mother’s room and was able to nurse and be with her, he wasn’t okay. I looked at him at 6:00 a.m. and saw him trying to get his pacifier back in his mouth, but he still wasn’t crying although he was moving normally. But I could see God working. Then more waiting: they decided to do an ultrasound on his brain to try and find out why he wasn’t crying, why he wasn’t moving like they wanted him to. I knew that God had taken care of him the night before and all that he needed was to be with his mother. A few hours later they brought him to the room to have his hospital baby pictures taken, and I held him for the first time. Then they took him back and more waiting. All we wanted was for him to stay in her room so she could nurse him. At noon July 16th, they said they’d bring him to the room but it would just be temporary. I left the hospital September/October 2008

for the first time since Renee’ went into labor and came back a couple hours later and Nicholai was a totally different baby: he had nursed for an hour, his little body was warm, not cold, he was looking around, wiggling. The ultrasound test showed that his brain was normal, no problems at all: he is perfect. Obviously they didn’t have to take him back to the nursery; being with his mommy was what he needed— the more he was with her, the more he would improve. And he started crying—the most wonderful sound; everyone was so excited to see him get mad and scrunch up his little face and scream. When you don’t hear that sound for twenty hours you pray he’ll cry, Now when Nic cries, I thank God, because I remember those long hours when he was silent.

5 Wings of Hope

Nicholai Jude Aiden James Owens 8 weeks old listening to “Hey Jude” on BOSE Headphones

September/October 2008

The Haunting and Tragic Images Will Live With Us Forever Ground Zero: August 2008 BY: R.M. Colon September 11th at 8:46 a.m., an American Airlines jet crashes into the 110-story North Tower of the World Trade Center. It was a Tuesday morning; I had gotten to work a few minutes earlier and was talking to my colleague as we were drinking coffee before entering a meeting. I remember hearing someone crying with a certain unexplainable agony. We immediately put our coffee down and rushed to a classroom across the hall. There, we found a female teacher crying, inconsolable. Standing beside her was the guidance counselor who explained: “A plane hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center…her husband works there.” We stood there, numb, puzzled: then the news…another plane. As a social worker employed with the New York Public School System, I dealt with many that day. Parents came and picked up their children from school for fear of the worst…“War on our Land.” My only thoughts were “God help us.” To think: the day before we thought we were safe. The world is not what it was twenty-four hours ago. I tried to contact family and friends to no avail; the phones were not working. “This can’t be happening.” “It’s like something out of a movie.” The world is not the same. The second building is hit at 9:02 a.m. There are people in the building and in a matter of seconds…flames, a ball of fire. There is dust and ashes. Firm buildings which seemed indestructible shake and collapse in a billowing cloud, so thick: now they are dust and ashes. Shock, grief, despair and anger were the feelings dominant in our city and our nation. We are not used to violence of that nature striking so close to home as in other parts of the world. But on that day reality sinks in as we experience what others feel daily. It was a horrible day. It was an attack on humanity. There were citizens from one 6 Wings of Hope

September/October 2008

hundred and fifteen nations that lost their lives that day. There were stories of devastation and yet there were those that survived which was nothing less than a miracle. Firefighters from Ladder Six were running down the stairs of the North Tower in an attempt to evacuate. But they met a woman, exhausted, who had run down from the 76th floor. She slowed them down and they stopped with her: it saved all of them. The tower collapsed around them, but miraculously the area of the stairway where they stopped, “Stairway B,” remained intact. Hours later they were found and rescued. On the 81st floor of the South Tower, Stanley Praimmath hid under his desk when he saw the United Airlines Flight 175 staring him in the face, heading directly at the building. As he waited and prayed he was rescued by another civilian as they both escaped. A friend of mine was about to enter the elevator just as the jet hit the South Tower. He turned and walked out the door despite being told everything is all right. On that day, I cried and prayed for my friends and loved ones and for the heroes and victims caught in those buildings.

It is a day I will never forget. I saw the worst in people and the best. I saw evil and saw the hand of God. More than ever I realized “We need God.” “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear… (Psalm 46:1–2, NASB). We need to learn to trust Him and seek His face. Only then can we find peace in this troubled world. I did.

Crying and sobbing continued as we stood in that classroom hearing of the second plane and the devastation. We attempted to call the teacher’s husband but there was no connection. What was a matter of minutes seemed like hours. The best we could do was wait while we hoped and prayed. Phone rings… “Hello?”…tears… “was delayed, left the house late.”… We all cry.

7 Wings of Hope

September/October 2008

911 HOPE

On September 11th 2001 four American Airliners were hijacked. Two planes were crashed into the World Trade Center, one into the Pentagon, and the last crashed 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. 7 years later America remembers in the real world and in the Virtual World. In the Virtual World of Second Life, Hope Alpine is one of the individuals who organized a 911 Memorial, located on the Wings Of Hope SIM or County. Hope Alpine has been deaf from an early age and her first language is American Sign Language. She attended a school for the Deaf in Washington DC and resided in New York for a couple of years as a teenager. Hope began to develop compassion for the helping professionals as a result of being a victim of spousal abuse. Upon being rescued by New York’s finest she became a liaison between the police and the deaf 8 Wings of Hope 8 Wings of Hope

community. She developed a respect and friendship with New York Police officers. Currently Hope is studying criminal justice for a B.A. Degree at Metro State University. She has attended citizens’ police academy with the St. Paul Police Department, Minneapolis Police Department and Hennepin County Sheriff Department. She is a member of the National Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association. This is the second year anniversary of a Memorial Program coordinated by Hope McAlpine, known in the real world as Ellie Kidder. The 24 hour Memorial began September 11th at 8am. The program consisted of a Memorial Service which was repeated twice more and a 21 gun salute.. The names of those who lost their lives were read one by one. There were also Art Galleries where poetry was read coinciding with the memorial services.

by: R. M. Colon

Hope also created the Blue Angel Garden Art Gallery and Memorial which is a public memorial garden where individuals can go and have quite moments of reflection. Hope is the Artist and sales during this day were donated to the FDNY Foundation. There was live music being hosted at the HeartSong venue which is also located at “Wings Of Hope” and ballroom dancing at the Fitzgerald Ballroom located at the Unsung Village county or sim.. A senseless act of violence has been replaced with acts of kindness by people throughout the world who have rallied their support to the USA through kind words and donations and volunteering their talents and time. We take this moment to thank Hope and all those who participated and donated their time and finances. There are several memorials which will continue for the next to weeks in the Virtual World of Second Life. All donations will go to the FDNY FOUNDATION September/October 2008

9 Wings of Hope

September/October 2008

We Will Never Forget

10 Wings of Hope

September/October 2008

Christie: It was just after lunch in Brazil; I was at the university and I felt an unexplainable sadness. Then, minutes later I saw people gathering around a television with the shocking and repeating images of the planes hitting the towers. The sorrow and fragility were experienced by the whole world. That was one of those days in which we think: “Christ is returning soon.” Marisa: We grew up in New Jersey and for some years was a sales rep for a janitorial company. Often, I would sit in the conference room on the 86th floor of Tower I as the NY/NJ Port Authority would open and read service bids. In 2001 I lived 1,100 miles away, yet when I heard and saw the horror that unfolded, I felt as if I had been in that conference room chair only yesterday. My brother, a NJ cop, “picked up fingers and toes for months,” as he puts it. As a result of childhood illnesses, he always had chronic bronchitis, but during the months at Ground Zero, he lost 17% of his lung capacity. He saw sights and smelled smells that he will never forget and never retell. We did not know anyone who perished that day, but still felt pain realizing that no longer would we see the towers rise above all the other buildings in the dim skyline that was ever present from our sleepy ocean community. Elizabeth: Outside work windows I could see the World Trade Center towers. It was a sight I took for granted. I assumed they would always be there. But, as we all know now, they wouldn’t be. Many from my area died that day. I know two families who lost their sons. The fire department where I volunteered as an Emergency Medical Technician lost one firefighter. This was not an event witnessed on television for me. I could see the smoke billowing up into the sky—not only from my work windows but also from the mountaintops where I live in New Jersey. The memory of the chaos and panic in the first few hours after the attacks will be forever in my heart. Because my hospital was on alert to receive patients, I could not leave. Meanwhile, I could not reach either of my teenaged children due to the jammed phone networks. The bridges and tunnels were then put on lock down. 11 Wings of Hope

This was a day unlike any of us had ever lived through. The next few days were a blur but there is one thing I do remember vividly: the silence. There are many major airports around New York City and New Jersey so planes are constant fixtures in the sky. But, not after September 11th. It’s now nearly seven years later. We’ve gotten on with our lives. Just last week I paused to peer across the Hudson and tried to “remember” exactly where the Towers stood so grand against the horizon…and sadly, found my memory fading. Although I have twice visited the “pit” in real life, I am grateful to have a place like SL’s Celestial Requiem to go at any time of the day or night to remember and honor the fallen. Deb: I’m an American who’s been living in England for many years. When the first of the planes hit, my husband, who works from home, called to tell me there had been a terrible accident. I pulled up the news on the Internet and watched in horror as the second plane hit. At that point we all knew that this was no accident. I went to find my son, who worked in my building, to relate the news, and together we huddled in front of my computer. The people of London have for many years lived with the threat of bombings owing to “the Troubles”—the animosity of some in Northern Ireland against Britain—but they acknowledged that this attack on America eclipsed the worst that they had experienced. To them it was an attack on the UK as well. For weeks complete strangers, upon hearing our accents, would lay a comforting hand on our arms and offer a word of condolence. Friends prayed for and with us. Now, seven years later and despite some British frustrations over the war in Iraq, the memory of 9/11 still brings words of sympathy from our fellow Londoners. Horrible as it was, in some ways it’s served to bring nations together.

September/October 2008

Fall 2008  

Fall 2008 Preview

Fall 2008  

Fall 2008 Preview