Erie County Park System â€˘
HAVENS OF HAPPINESS AND HEALTHFUL RECREATION IN SUMMER OR WINTER
New Casino, Chestnut Ridge Park (front view) PUBLISHED BY THE
Erie County Park Commission BUFFALO, N. Y.
A Nostalgic Look at Erie County Parks Presented by the Chestnut Ridge Conservancy
The Chestnut Ridge Conservancy, Inc. is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization formed to support the restoration and preservation of the rich natural, recreational, and historic resources that comprise Chestnut Ridge Park.
Prologue This book was originally published in 1939 by the Erie County Park Commission. William Even, Marketing Consultant for the Chestnut Ridge Conservancy has meticulously and painstakingly refurbished this document by resetting the text and enhancing the photographs. Every effort has been made to preserve the integrity of the original document.
ChestnutRidgeConservancy.org Facebook.com/ChestnutRidgeConservancy info@ChestnutRidgeConservancy.org P. O. Box 1376 â€˘ Orchard Park, NY 14127
100% of the proceeds from the sale of this book are used by the Chestnut Ridge Conservancy to restore Chestnut Ridge Park.
ÂŠ2012 Chestnut Ridge Conservancy, Inc. All Rights Reserved. [i]
OFFICERS AND MEMBERS of the
Erie County Park Commission 1939 • JOHN J. LENAHAN - - - - - - - - - Buffalo President
HAMILTON WARD, JR. - - -
EDWIN LANG MILLER - - -
FRANKLIN E. BARD - - - - - - - - Gowanda JOSEPH W. BECKER - - - - - - - - - Buffalo MAX D. FARMER - - - - - - - East Aurora JOSEPH P. ZENGER Executive Secretary
ARTHUR B. WEAVER Park Engineer
134 W. Eagle St. BUFFALO, N. Y.
[ ii ]
Beauty Spots for Public Use
HIS booklet has been prepared and designed for the purpose of better acquainting the Public with the many advantages offered by the Erie County Parks, which foster and encourage recreation, health, and a love for the natural beauties of the great out-of-doors. The entire system of Parks of approximately 1800 acres consisting of wooded areas, canyons, and streams, is maintained in its rustic state. These Parks are attractive in winter as well as in summer, and are so situated in Erie County as to be accessible to all. The Commission has adopted a distinctive and unique sign or insignia, consisting of a "cut-out" or outline of the County of Erie, and this has been molded into directional signs and placed at the most advantageous points on highways throughout the County so that the best and most convenient roads and approaches to the Parks will be indicated to the motorist.
EARLY eighteen hundred acres are included in the four parks which make up the Erie County park system. An attendance of more than three million a year, in the four parks, shows both the keen appreciation of them by the public and the need of such retreats from crowded highways and the turmoil of daily life. These great throngs yearly await the opening of the parks, dedicated to recreation and rest in the most healthful and delightful surroundings, and their usefulness and value is barely begun because they will be a perpetual asset, adding to the attractiveness of Erie County as a desirable region in which to live and work. What has been accomplished in acquiring and fitting these parks for the use of the public is the work of about fourteen years.
Where the Children find Happiness 
The act creating the Erie County Park Commission was passed by the Legislature and approved by the Governor in 1924. The Commissioners serve without pay. Following the organization of the Commission, its members made a reconnaissance of the entire county in search of the best available sites. Options were obtained on thirty-five parcels of land which were recommended to the Board of Supervisors for purchase. These recommendations included sites in the towns of Aurora, East Hamburg, Lancaster and Tonawanda, a distribution which assured every section of the county the location of a park within convenient distance. In May, 1925, the Board of Supervisors authorized the proposed purchases. Deeds to the East Hamburg and Aurora properties were delivered in September, and to the Lancaster property in December 1925. Title to the Tonawanda site was not perfected until 1926. While these preliminaries were pending the Commission perfected an administrative organization, surveys and plans were underway, as well as the actual preparation of the sites for use.
Although much has been accomplished in a comparatively 
short time all of the early work, beyond the cleaning up of the various park areas, was more or less experimental. The Commissioners wanted to know just the kind of development and equipment which would best meet the needs and ideas of the public. Water supply and sanitary facilities were immediate needs and were promptly provided. Certain types of other facilities met with instant approval by the visitors to the parks and became standard equipment. These include Adirondack shelters, openair grills and ovens, playground equipment, tables and benches. Shelters and grills were constructed of native materials. A casino in Chestnut Ridge Park (since burned down, has been replaced by a much larger modern fire-proof structure), locker houses, canoe and boat houses, construction and equipment of children's playgrounds, the establishment of athletic fields, baseball diamonds, and tennis courts, the conversion of the Emery homestead into an attractive Inn, additions and improvements to the potable and sanitary water supply, the construction of roadways, bridges, foot-paths and trails, the application of modern forestry methods to existing growths, reforestation and the growing of forestry stock, band pavilions, provisions for winter sports, all go to make up the Erie County Parks as they are today.
Watching a Baseball Game 
Construction and maintenance work in all of the parks is carried on by crews under the direction of the Park Engineer of the Commission and the immediate supervision of a superintendent in each of the parks. These crews are cut down at the end of the construction season to a smaller unit in each park, kept busy during the winter months by repairing machinery and equipment and the necessary maintenance work.
Typical Adirondack Shelter 
Improvements are made by the obtaining of stone, from torn up cobble stone streets in the City of Buffalo and old rip rap stone from the abandoned Erie Canal at no cost. Old frame buildings erected in the early days of the park system, have since been veneered with this stone thereby making a more permanent structure. Structural timber has been created on our saw mill from logs obtained on park property. Improved roads lead to all of these parks from every part of the County. Natural forests on the four sites include practically every kind of tree which grows in this latitude. The two larger parks, Chestnut Ridge and Emery, are on rolling table-lands at an elevation of 1200 feet. The whole development of the four parks is in accord with the idea of preserving the natural, rural atmosphere, in contrast to the formal city park, and obtaining the maximum of happy usefulness at a minimum of cost. Concessions, limited to the services actually required
Refreshment Stand 
by the public by the patrons of the parks, are rigidly controlled, unobtrusively placed, and are a real convenience窶馬ot a nuisance. All of the parks are bird and game refuges. No effort is spared to increase wild life. Vermin which threatens its existence is exterminated. Through the courtesy of the Buffalo School Department thousands of bird houses, of various design, have been placed in the parks for the encouragement of birds. Their numbers and variety are increasing each year. The illustrations in this booklet show in detail the facilities which have been outlined. They suggest both the variety of beautiful prospects which await all visitors and the public's appreciation of the parks. Since the original purchases, additions have been made to all four parks. Surveys have been made of the valleys of the Cazenovia, Ellicott and Cayuga creeks, for the purpose of studying the practicability
Pump and Shelter in Chestnut Ridge 
of a future park and parkway development along the courses of these streams. Proposed sites in the northeasterly section of the County have been inspected and studied. Plans have been developed for the future construction of swimming pools of the latest design.
Skating in the Park
 Colony Ovens and Grills
Chestnut Ridge Park
OUTHEASTERLY from Buffalo there is a gradual rise towards the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains in Pennsylvania. The first sharp rise in this direction from the gently sloping basin which surrounds Buffalo at the foot of Lake Erie has an elevation of about 1200 feet. It is about seven miles inland from Lake Erie. One of these ridges swings westerly to merge in the uplands on the eastern side of the Eighteen Mile Creek valley, which extends southward. Along the crest of this ridge Erie County pioneers found many enormous chestnut trees and ever since that time this section, which is eighteen miles southeast from Buffalo, has been known as Chestnut Ridge. An admirable site on this ridge was selected by the Commission for development as an Erie County Park. It was given the long familiar name and is known to many thousands of people as Chestnut Ridge Park. It is the largest of the parks, 1000 acres of forest and meadow, slashed with ravines at the bottoms of which running water tumbles over rocky beds on its way towards the lake. [ 10 ]
Ravine in Chestnut Ridge Park
This considerable area, including some of the most beautiful natural scenery to be found anywhere, has been prepared for the enjoyment of the public without destroying its inherent beauties. All structures conform to rural ideals. The course of its drives and foot-paths conforms to the natural contours of the land rather than to a formal, geometrical design. The most pretentious structure is the new Casino, stone building with slate roof, located at the crest of a hill overlooking a meadow and the Village of Orchard Park in the distance. A feature of the Casino is a promenade and a flag stone area at the brink of the hill, and an open observation porch at second floor level, from which it is possible to get a complete and marvelous picture of the surrounding country: Buffalo to the north; villages, hamlets, farmsteads and cultivated fields spread over a great inverted crescent with its inner edge on the Lake. To the west Canada is easily discerned beyond Lake Erie. [ 11 ]
The features of the Casino are well worked out to care for a large crowd in Summer as well as Winter. A concession stand well equipped with a commodious kitchen and counter service cares for those desiring refreshments, lunches or picnic supplies. A great hall with a large stone fire place, high beamed ceiling, stone pillared, stone flagged floor accommodate a record large crowd, while adjacent, a smaller room equipped with fire place may be utilized to rest and eat lunch. Large and up-to-date toilet service is at hand at one end of the building as is a well equipped First Aid under the supervision of a Trained Nurse. A heating plant of latest design for this type of structure provides warmth to those who participate in the Winter Sports offered by the Park. The great chestnut trees which gave this locality its distinctive name were ruined by the blight which traveled westward from the
In the Woods at Chestnut Ridge Park [ 12 ]
Atlantic coast and nearly all of those in the park area â€” all which were infected â€” were cut down and converted into rough lumber. This material was used for the construction of shelters and other park structures. However, efforts are being made to restore the areas to the production of chestnuts. Five hundred Asiatic trees of a blightresisting kind, received from the U. S. Government, have been planted in scattered locations about the Park, and with others added yearly it is hoped that within a few years the Public may again enjoy gathering sweet chestnuts. All dead and down timber is cleared away and utilized as fuel, providing for the scores of open-air ovens and grills, all conveniently located for the users of the shelters, as well as the larger type of shelters and community ovens, of which there are a number in the park. Ovens and grills are also constructed of native stone. Stone also served an admirable purpose in the construction of bridges of rustic design. Still another feature in this park are cabins of typical pioneer design. [ 13 ]
In addition to clearing the grounds of dead timber, natural growths are encouraged and many thousands of young pine trees, received from the State Nurseries, have been planted. Later plantings include small fruit and other deciduous trees throughout the park system. The forest in this park is particularly fine and very diversified. It includes towering elms, great maples, beech, cucumber, walnut, hemlock, shagbark hickory, ironwood and black cherry trees. An unusual growth is a small grove of sassafras near the Casino.
Pavilion [ 14 ]
It is doubtful if an equally diverse display of forest growth can be found anywhere else in the state in a limited area. There is an abundance of pure, potable water obtained from a score of drilled wells, convenient to the shelters and cooking grills. Twenty-five acres on the east side and near the south boundary, includes a natural basin in which was constructed a large reservoir for impounding sanitary water. This water is distributed through pipe lines to modern comfort stations about the park. Throughout all the parks there is a liberal supply of tables and benches for the convenience of visitors. Approximately eight miles of improved roads and drives, including the construction of a number of rustic bridges, make possible the easy distribution of the enormous number of automobiles which are driven through the park. Great numbers of people can be accommodated without crowding or danger. Visitors afoot are at liberty to stroll where they will in the forest or along the footpaths and trails which have been provided. There are rustic bridges for crossing ravines. The trails include an equestrian path winding through the park.
Typical Picnic Spot [ 15 ]
A more conventional feature of the park's equipment is an athletic field, located in the north corner. It is 400 by 600 feet in size and includes a baseball diamond and soft-ball diamonds. A rustic locker house, comfort station, and bleachers complete the field. Adjoining it there is ample room for parking hundreds of automobiles. Within the so-called Ward area, at and opposite the Memorial erected to the memory of the late Commissioner Hamilton Ward, is the open end of a long winding, narrow canyon with 100-feet high steep-walled side banks. On foot up this creek bottom for about one-half mile one encounters a waterfall of approximately 20 feet at the top of which is a fissure in the rock from which there is constantly emitting gas which when lighted will burn for sometime. This is known as the Burning Spring. Nearby the new Casino is a series of steel toboggan structures and ski jump erected at the brink of a long natural slope toward the north. A bank of 8 concrete tennis courts recently constructed are converted into a skating rink in the winter. [ 16 ]
[ 17 ] Typical Park Scene
HIS PARK of 330 acres, is located in the Town of Aurora, five miles south of East Aurora village and twenty-two miles southeast from Buffalo. It occupies an undulating plateau on the west bank of Cazenovia Creek, in one of the most beautiful of the many hill-bound valleys running south from the lower levels of western and central New York. This valley is broad, with rich bottom lands, and on either side rises sharply to an elevation of 1200 feet. The west bank is a great plateau of forest and meadow approximately, but not wholly, level. The park lands lie on both sides of Emery road and comprised the ancestral home of the pioneer Emery family, which contributed two eminent jurists to the Supreme Court, the late Justices Edward K. and Asher B. Emery. The old family home, on the south side of the road, has been converted into an attractive Inn, where refreshments and dinners are served. An interesting feature of this Inn is a museum of Colonial and Civil War relics installed on the second floor through the interest and courtesy of the late Mrs. Asher B. Emery. From the veranda of the Inn there is a magnificent view across the valley to the [ 18 ]
opposite hills. On the grounds adjoining the Inn a pergola and rose garden are very nearly the only formal developments in the park. The direct route to Emery Park is one of the most popular out of Buffalo, for a large part of the way along the east bank of Cazenovia Creek. At East Aurora there is a choice of two roads which lead to the park. Turning right over Center Street, at the west end of the village, there is a direct road to Emery Road, where the turn is left. The alternative route is through the village to Olean Road, at the east end, turning right on the Olean Road and continuing to South Wales, where a right turn takes the traveler into the park. Besides spreading over the uplands, the Park area sweeps down into the valley. On the flats, north of Emery Road, has been established a pine tree nursery. There are approximately five miles of improved roads in the park area, with paths and trails
Pergola and Rose Garden in Emery Park [ 19 ]
View taken from Olean Road
leading into the various sections of the reserve, outstanding of which is a nature trail. On the uplands on the north side there is an athletic field, including a baseball diamond with bleacher seats, six tennis courts, horseshoe courts and several softball diamonds, all serviced by a modern Field House. Nearby in the woods there are a number of shelters, immediately in the rear of which is a sylvan glen with a thirty-foot water fall. A popular feature in Emery Park is a children's playground, fully equipped with swings, teeters, sliding boards and other play apparatus. Ovens and grills are scattered at convenient points throughout the park. There are a number of large comfort stations, conveniently located and supplied with water impounded in a reservoir at the southern limits of the park lands. Abundant potable water is obtained from numerous drilled wells. Elizabeth Grove, on the south side, has cabins, comfort station, concession stand, soft ball diamond, and playground features. Nearby the main entrance is a ravine in which has been developed an outstanding Rock Garden, made up from local rock, planted with Rock Garden plants, natural of this area. The beds are traversed by winding gravel paths, and stone steps and a flagstone walk across an open of grass lawn area surrounded [ 20 ]
One of Several Childrenâ€™s Playgrounds
by various types of specimen trees. Alongside the ravine runs a winding rock bed creek leading to a 30 foot waterfall at the head of which is constructed a stone lookout shelter overlooking a deep ravine which disappears in giant trees of the forest. The Park is equipped with hundreds of benches and tables, for the convenience of picnic parties, placed conveniently near to shelters and grills. Necessary administration buildings, as in all the other County Parks, are unobtrusively placed and are only sufficient for the storage and protection of the park equipment and machinery. At all times the whole area of the park is carefully policed and kept free from unsightly discards and the natural waste of the wooded areas. Alternating wooded sections, open meadows which were the clearings made by pioneers, rolling knolls and ravines, beautiful forest trees, all go to make this an ideal outing ground where great crowds can be, and are, accommodated without infringing upon the space or rights of others. [ 21 ]
Como Lake Park
OMO LAKE PARK differs in its natural features from the two already described. It is located at the edge of the village of Lancaster, part of its area being inside the village limits. Its elevation is much less, yet the ground is rolling and is partly covered with many beautiful trees. The outstanding feature of Como Lake Park, however, is its waterways. Cayuga Creek, which flows through it has been dammed at the lower end creating an artificial lake of about six acres available for boating and canoeing, which in winter is an ideal outdoor skating rink. Spoil taken from the Lake area before the dam was closed was used to great advantage in building up some of the low spots adjacent to the new lake and also in improving the banks of Cayuga Creek in its course through the park. This creek affords more than a mile of placid waterway also available for boating and canoeing. As originally established, with only 120 acres, Como Lake Park was wholly in the village of Lancaster. An additional 80 acres acquired later extended the park over the east boundary of Lancaster village into the town. Other acquisitions have increased the total area to 322 acres. [ 22 ]
Its nearness to Buffalo and the industrial sections of Depew and Lancaster account in a measure for its notable popularity. Bus lines from Buffalo run through a corner of the park itself. From the beginning the attendance at Como Lake Park was notably heavy and has steadily increased to the point of demanding additional picnic accommodations. The winter count in this park, is large due to the splendid available skating area. The principle approach to this park from Buffalo is via Broadway, one of the great traffic arteries out of the city. It is also accessible from all other sections of the country over improved highways. Like other County parks, Como Lake is less formal, and more natural, than a typical city park. It is a bit of diversified country furnished with conveniences and with the rough spots taken out. Rows of stately willows, on either bank, add to the beauty of the creek. Other wooded areas are made up of maple and beech. Three rustic bridges have been built across the stream at convenient crossings, the lines of two suggesting the Japanese type.
Bridge over Creek [ 23 ]
Sunlit Waters in Como Lake Park
All structures in the park conform to the rustic idea. They include shelters, ovens for out-of-door cooking, and sanitary buildings conveniently scattered. An island shelter and comfort station has been built at the lake, together with a boathouse. From it a concrete ramp slopes gently into the water. A concessionaire supplies boats and canoes at modest rentals, by the hour. Refreshments also are supplied from a modern, sanitary kitchen at one end of the shelter. In its course through the grounds, Cayuga Creek divides to form two islands. All during the winter there are daily feedings of pheasants and other birds which find refuge in the park. There are pens of Golden, Silver and Lady Amherst pheasants, and other wild and domestic birds and animals including Virginia Deer enclosed within a wired paddock which are a delight to the children and of interest to elders. Three miles of improved road have been built in this park, including two new bridges, and cinder foot paths and trails. Playground equipment of all kinds is provided. Rotary [ 24 ]
Ice Carnival Scene
Grove, a children's playground, is named for the Rotary Club of Lancaster, which furnished the equipment for this corner of the park. There also is a great athletic field for baseball, softball, tennis and track events. A summary of equipment as in other parks includes picnic shelters, Adirondack shelters, single ovens, open grills, picnic tables, benches, comfort stations, open shelters, playground apparatus, and lawn swings. Annually local tennis championship games are played on the tennis courts of this Park.
Rustic Bridgeâ€”Como Park Lake [ 25 ]
Ellicott Creek Park
LLICOTT CREEK PARK is the smallest of the four making up the County Parks system. It occupies a rectangle at the junction of Ellicott Creek, from which it takes its name, the Niagara Falls Boulevard, and Tonawanda Creek, a water boundary on two sides. It lies west of the boulevard. Its area is 135 acres, almost wholly a level flat. The principal feature of the ground is a magnificent grove of towering trees. Located conveniently to the Tonawandas, and only six miles from Buffalo, it is a popular picnic ground. Boating facilities, including a convenient boathouse and concession, add to its attractiveness. In winter the streams afford fine skating areas. Material equipment is in all respects similar to that of the other parks and varies only in quantity. There are shelters, tables and benches, a supply of potable water, comfort stations, and the like, together with an administration building. Winding parkways make it accessible for automobiles. [ 26 ]
Everyday Scene in Childrenâ€™s Playground
By special act of the Legislature an island of seventeen acres, lying between the old and new channels of the Barge Canal, together with the old towpath, was transferred from the State to the County Parks System. As the old channel is the dividing line between Erie and Niagara Counties, it was necessary to build a bridge from the Erie County mainland to the island to make it accessible. A three acre parking area on the main land to serve those who desire to picnic on the island is conveniently located to steel foot bridge above mentioned. The Island when procured by the Commission was a spoil area for State Canal excavation and covered with a rank weed growth. All was cleared, stone and excess earth mounds removed, and following a master plan, a water service, both drinking and sanitary, together with paths, shelters, cooking equipment, rails, picnic and play areas were established. Refreshment stand, comfort station, and boat house were erected and hundreds of trees and shrubs were planted. Today the Island is a spot of beauty and a real water front park where one may drink in nature and spend a restful time. [ 27 ]
Recently there has been added to Ellicott Creek Park 83 acres of open lands which, following careful study, have been planned for development. There has been surveyed a 他-mile park drive extension to service the area and open another entrance to a public highway. A stone structure, slate roof, water flush comfort station just completed will service the new playground extension. Sanitary water to service same has been obtained through a park pumping system drawing from the Creek. Drinking water furnished by a 3600 feet extension is fed from the town water main. Four up-to-date concrete tennis courts have been added and the construction of a commodious refreshment stand and boat house is well underway. Power shovel and truck are busy excavating a channel to the boat house. Hundreds of both evergreen and deciduous trees have been set out during the past year, these trees with extensive grading as well as many additions to the shelter and picnic structures awaiting approval will make Ellicott Creek a most complete public recreation center.
Neighbors Join in a Picnic Luncheon [ 28 ]
[ 29 ] Trail Scene
HE Erie County Park Commission is a bi-partisan body consisting of six Commissioners who serve without compensation, and receive their appointment from the Board of Supervisors. It is authorized to acquire land by purchase or donation, and, if necessary, by eminent domain. The funds to carry out the plan for a county system of parks and parkways are appropriated by the Board of Supervisors of the County of Erie. The officers of the Commission are elected annually by vote of the Commission and its policy is to rotate rather than succeed. The general use and popularity of the parks already acquired in different sections of the County will control the action and policy of the Commission in its future plans and development.
The parks are open to all, and no reserving of dates is necessary.
Concessions are established at each park for the convenience of the public. For the present the Commission has decided not to issue permits for over-night camping. Waste material burners are placed at convenient spots for paper and refuse. Fire wood is furnished (without charge) for use in fire places and ovens at the parks. The Commission has formulated rules which are made a part of this report and are conspicuously posted in the park areas. A strict compliance with these rules will be enforced by the park superintendents and their assistants. The flowers, plants, trees and natural growth in the parks are for the enjoyment of all. The advantages should be generously used by all these people and organizations of the county, and with reasonable consideration and with the spirit of conservation these places and their beauty can be maintained and continued, thereby fostering and encouraging recreation, health and a love for the natural beauties of the great out-of-doors. [ 30 ]
[ 31 ]
Park Rules and Regulations The Erie County Park Commission, by authority, under Chapter 638 of the Laws of 1924, prescribe the following rules and regulations governing the several parks and parkways under its control. Adopted, August 18, 1925. Revised, Sept. 11, 1934. It shall be unlawful for any person to do any of the acts hereinafter specified: 1. FIREARMS—For any person to take or otherwise transport any firearms, airguns or sling shots in park. 2. PRESERVATION OF PROPERTY—For any person to injure, deface, disturb or befoul any part of park or any buildings, signs, equipment or other property found therein, or remove, injure or destroy any tree, flower, shrub, rock or other minerals. Peeling bark or cutting or injuring trees is prohibited. 3. FIRES—For any person to light any fire for any purpose in any part of park except in a stove, oven or fire circle provided for that purpose. Lighted matches, cigarettes, cigars or burning tobacco must not be deposited or left where they may cause fires. 4. GARBAGE AND REFUSE—Grounds must be maintained in clean and sanitary condition. Garbage and refuse must be deposited in the receptacle provided. 5. DOGS—For any person to bring any dogs into park unless the same are on leash and kept on leash while in the park.
6. HUNTING—For any person to hunt game within the boundaries of park.
7. BATHING, SWIMMING—For any person to bathe or swim in any of the streams, pools or lakes in the park, except where and as prescribed by special rules governing the same. 8. GAMBLING—For any person to bring into park or have in his possession while there, any implement or device commonly used for gambling purposes. 9. HORSES AND RIDERS—Horses and their riders are prohibited from using park areas, except over bridle paths, or other paths established for said purpose. 10. LIQUOR AND BEER—Liquor, keg beer or beer in bulk is prohibited, either through sale or brought in for use on, park premises. 11. SPEED LIMIT—No person shall drive or cause to be driven along or over any drive or road within the park, any vehicle at a speed in excess of 15 MILES PER HOUR. All persons will be held responsible for compliance with these rules, and any person violating them or injuring park property, will be held liable for damages and penalties. [ 32 ]
New Casino, Chestnut Ridge Park (rear view)
[ 33 ]
Acknowledgements The Chestnut Ridge Conservancy wishes to thank Mr. Jack Bertsch and Polymer Conversions, Inc. for their generous contribution that made the printing of this book possible. We also wish to thank all those that have generously made donations in the form of time, talent and funding. Without their efforts, the Conservancy would not exist. If you are interested in getting involved, please visit our website, join our Facebook page, or contact us via email. We look forward to hearing from you. ChestnutRidgeConservancy.org Facebook.com/ChestnutRidgeConservancy info@ChestnutRidgeConservancy.org P. O. Box 1376 â€˘ Orchard Park, NY 14127
[ 34 ]
The Burning Spring (now known as the Eternal Flame)
TO ORCHARD PARK
Chestnut Ridge Park
D N ROA
* TENNIS COURTS
25 26 27
37B 37A 37
9A 9 10
– SHELTER – COMFORT STATION
– SKI TOW & TOBOGGAN CHUTES (2) E
– MacKinnon – Martin
ETERNAL FLAME SEUFERT ROAD
– FIRE TOWER NY 277
– COMMISSIONER’S CABIN
PARK OFFICE 8
13 CHESTNUT RIDGE ROAD
BR AN CH
24 WEST BRANCH
Enjoy this map with compliments of the Chestnut Ridge Conservancy. Please join us at www.ChestnutRidgeConservancy.org
– PET WASTE STATIONS
Published on Aug 22, 2013
This book was originally published in 1939 by the Erie County Park Commission. William Even, Marketing Consultant for the Chestnut Ridge Con...