BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
Prodcut Range & Distribution
END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION NAME
BLOG. ADDRES S
1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? During this module I feel like I have developed a lot of knowledge about Product range and distribution and how effect an identity can be to the design process. I have developed my illustration skills and combined a range of different media, mainly working with solid vector shapes and hand drawn image. I feel as if I have developed my skills in relation to logo, I’ve spent a lot of time learning/understanding about how identities aesthetics communicate an overall aura for a company’s service or goods. Working mainly in illustrator I developed a well considered approach to re-branding derived from collective feedback, I found this process of constantly tweaking my ideas has developed the way I will engage with the design development process in the future.
2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? Using my graphic tablet has been a big part of my design production, My poster pack consisted of a lot of illustrations, I found that using my graphic tablet a lot for this brief gave me a fresh approach to the design development process as I haven’t worked with digital drawing’s before. I want to pursue these skills, learning more about techniques within digital illustration, I like the possibilities it gives you in relation to using a pencil and paper. Re-branding and logo generation was key to my whole project I found that creating my identity took up the majority of the brief, Logo design was a huge part of the development process and helped inform the way I designed my final outcomes, without this I would have been lost.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these? Strengths within my work I think would be consistency over my range, I tried to stick to a clean and clear approach to a design method influenced by appropriate subject matter, I think this shows across my range of outcomes. I think the most obvious strength I can identify in this brief is my illustration skills, I really feel I’ve grasped a much more personal style and method to illustrating digitally, to capitalise on this I want to take these skills forward to produce some additional portraits in the same style I’ve picked up during this module.
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future? I think my weaknesses were mainly with the management of my time alongside weekly crits and presentations. I felt as If I pondered too much time over minimal details like logo design and branding rather than taking things to print and producing physical outcomes. I felt as if during the last week of the brief I was rushed to get my outcomes finished, I feel in future trying to stick my action plans a little better would be something to consider, I feel I am motivated to get the work done but over estimate what I can get done for a deadline. I gave myself too much to do with too within the time limit and as a result didn’t get to complete some of the things I aimed for. 5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
1. Next time I would I would firstly like to take my outcomes to print and experiment with print processes. I didn’t manage to take all of my outcomes to print which I feel really would have emphasised the visual elements of my boards. 2. I would manage my time better and try to stick to action plans, I found the orientation of the way I did things was altered by me over estimating the amount I could produce by the deadline. 3. In the future I would like to of looked into the distribution element of the project, not with my research but the areas I could have visited with my final resolutions. For example the main Element I looked into was web presence and online shopping where as I could have explored physical retail and shop design, or perhaps direct mail or promotional material. 4. Not only would I like to explore physical shops but I would have extended my range of apparel taking the t-shirts I design to print and possible experimenting with my branding over fabric.
6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas: (please indicate using an ‘x’) 5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor 1
4 x x x x
Attendance Punctuality Motivation Commitment x Quantity of work produced x Quality of work produced x Contribution to the group The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.
Published on May 28, 2012