125th Anniversary Celebration
Academic Procession and Atkinson Lecture Later in the afternoon, Ginsburg participated in an academic procession to Smith Auditorium with University faculty and received an honorary Doctor of Laws from the Board of Trustees. She then presented the first lecture in Willamette University’s 2008–09 Atkinson Lecture Series, which has welcomed world leaders, authors, actors, scientists and educators to campus since it was founded in 1956. Following the lecture, the University hosted a private reception and dinner in honor of Ginsburg’s visit to Willamette.
Oregon Civic Justice Center Located on the corner of State and Winter streets, the stately structure was built in 1912 and served as Salem’s first public library until 1972, when it was acquired by the YWCA. Willamette University purchased the building in 2003. The College of Law spent one year and more than $4 million renovating the structure, with invaluable support from the following generous donors and foundation grants:
• Melvin Henderson-Rubio BA’74 • The Collins Foundation • Meyer Memorial Trust • Wollenberg Foundation and Richard H. Wollenberg JD’78 • Cherida Collins Smith BA’72 • James F. and Marion L. Miller Foundation • Maribeth Collins H’93 • Ben B. Cheney Foundation The new center houses important law school programs that help connect the College of Law with the broader community, including the Clinical Law Program; Center for Law and Government; Center for Dispute Resolution; Center for Religion, Law and Democracy; Oregon Law Commission; and Willamette Law Review.
Fall 2008 | 5