12. The linguistic diversity index expresses _____.
8. Find the false statement about pidgin languages. a. They demonstrate adaptive linguistic mixing. b. They are the native language of people who live in multilingual communities. c. They are most likely to be oral languages rather than written languages. d. They are considered contact languages that have limited or specialized functions.
a. the likelihood that two randomly selected individuals in a country will speak the same ﬁrst language b. the ratio between the number of languages spoken in a country and the area of that country c. the ratio of the number of multilingual individuals in a country and the country’s total population d. the likelihood that any randomly selected Web page will be in a language other than English
9. Creolization _____. a. relates to the establishment of a lingua franca b. describes the practice of creating and changing toponyms c. refers to the process by which a pidgin language develops into a ﬁrst language
13. Why do Mexico and Brazil have such low linguistic diversity indexes (0.13 and 0.03, respectively)? __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
d. explains the spread of the Indo-European language family around the world 10. What do the words fajita, mesa, and rodeo have in common?
14. Find the false statement about language extinction. a. The world is experiencing the highest rate of language extinction ever. b. Of the world’s regions, Europe is experiencing very high rates of language extinction.
a. They are toponyms.
c. When speech communities are small, the potential for language extinction is usually very high.
b. They are isoglosses. c. They help identify speakers of Chicano English.
d. One language becomes extinct approximately every two weeks.
d. They are loanwords. 11. This graph shows that _____. a. the number of languages declines as population increases
15. List at least one that has contributed to the contraction of Yuchi linguistic space at each of the three scales.
b. the number of languages increases as population increases
c. the number of languages and the population size are unrelated d. in AD 1 the number of languages and the population were both low
Yuchi linguistic space
Estimated number of languages 9 (in thousands)
Population (in billions)
Review your Chapter Planner on the chapter opener and check off your completed work.