Page 71

SUMMARY OF TESTIMONY: On the January 31, 2006, a Toyota Tiger pickup truck was chased by two Toyota Vigo pickup trucks (without markings) down Route 107. The last vehicle circled and stopped in front of the first. The men who got out of the Toyota Vigo (exact number unclear) were not wearing any uniform or insignia, but were armed with handguns. They swiftly forced the five persons out of the car that they had been made to stop. The eyewitness and informant to this JPF report, Mr Siwahlot Kirisawad, recognized the driver of the Tiger as being Mr Pichit Ja-Ur and the person in the passenger seat as being his brother Mr Jagaa Ja-Ur. The other three, he said, looked very much like Mr Jaga Ja-Ur (Pichit and Jagga’s brother), Miss Nasee Ja-Ur (Jaga’s wife) and Mr Jatea Ja-ha (Nasee’s brother-in-law). Pichit and Jagaa were moved into the front Toyota Vigo, and the others were moved into the back Toyota Vigo. Their mobile phones were confiscated. All three cars drove away together. In the next day, there was news that the offenders the undercover officers had bought drugs from had resisted arrest after 100,000 methamphetamine pills of theirs had been confiscated, which ensued in a shooting. The pictures released in the press portrayed the four Ja-Urs and Jatea Ja-ha as the perpetrators. It also showed Pichit and Jagaa as having being shot dead. Their hands were visibly cuffed together in the photos. Although their bodies were later retrieved by their mother at the morgue in Suandok Hospital Chiang Mai, there has been no news of the other three captives as of 27 July 2011. Pichit, Jagaa and Jaga’s mother, Ms Namai Ja-Ur, explained in her interview with JPF that on 31 January 2006, she saw all five leave together in Pichit’s car to go buy food supplies at the Fang market. She recalls them leaving at around 4 p.m. When eyewitness Siwahlot (Nong Pai Village Headman’s assistant) came to tell her of what he saw riding his motorcycle back home from work, she was not surprised and suspected that it was probably just the police trying to extort money from them again. During the road incident, Siwahlot kept his distance as he feared for his life. But after all the vehicles had gone, and it was safe for him to return to Nong Pai village, he immediately went to report what he saw at the district government head office. His next stop was to tell the victims’ relatives. It was only after the new year celebrations ended (on the 8th of February 2006)9 that the victims’ family went looking for them. Namai was accompanied by the Village Headman’s assistant, Pichit’s wife and child, and younger sister Namiti (also Ms Namai’s daughter). At the morgue, Namai noticed Pichit and Jagaa’s bodies were badly bruised, as if they had been beaten before being killed. The death certificate estimated 6.30 p.m. on 31 January 2006 as the time of death, and determined gunshots to the head and chest as the cause of death. The two men were later buried at Nong Pai funeral grounds. The family of the victims and the Village Headman’s assistant went looking for Jaga, Nasee and Jatea at various army bases across Chiang Mai province, i.e. Fang, Mae Ai and Mae Rim. There were rumours around the village that they had been imprisoned at Bangkok’s Baang Quang Prison. These rumours also said that Nasee had given birth whilst in prison. Now, there is no evidence to suggest this is true; the family was not contacted by the police.


Seven day long celebrations


Enforced Disappearances in Thailand  

Enforced Disappearances in Thailand