Page 64

were taken to Saraburi province, and the man who was mute was sent to a rice mill in Khampeng Phet province. Jaw Sa was unsure of where Tanipler went. The Labour Law Clinic, a Mae Sot based non-governmental organisation, provided information that ‚the police had received reports from villagers that they had found two bodies at Mon Hin Lek Fi village, in Mae Sot district.‛ Two more bodies were found kilometres away at Pa Kah village (close to Pha Ja Rern waterfall, Phop Phra district). Another body was found 51 km away, and two more bodies were found 57 km away. Altogether seven bodies were found dead more or less in the vicinity of Mae Sot district, and on 1 February 2010 there was news that another body had been found, but there was no information as to the location and no one came forward to provide enough information to lead to its retrieval. Jaw Sa was searched for by the police and brought in for questioning. He is currently in the care of authorities in Mae Sot district. The Law Clinic met a man by the name of Misow, who said he came from the same village as all of those who had died. Misow had gone to Myawaddy on business, and said that the families of the nine victims had come together to Myawaddy to wait for news of their relatives. Misow was told by one of the relatives of the victims that ‚before Mr Tanipler left Khampeng Phet province to return to Myawaddy, he had contacted the relatives of the victims and told them that all nine had been arrested by the police, who wanted 600 Baht per person for their release, so he was coming back to Myawaddy to collect the ransom money, but that the rest of the group had made it to their destinations.‛ Misow had received information that Tanipler had travelled and reached Myawaddy to collect the ransom money and secure the victims’ release, but that when he was in Myawaddy he heard that there were Burmese labourers who had crossed to Thailand and been shot dead in Phop Pra district in Tak province. Misow said Tanipler did not believe that those who were killed were the same people that he had taken across the border. Tanipler then went to Mae Sot passing Mae Tow and Baan Rai villages, and that was the last time that anyone saw or heard about him. On 31 January 2010, after news of the found Burmese bodies was released, a policeman committed suicide. The name of the policeman who committed suicide was Police Senior Sergeant Major Somchai Pinkaew5. He was the chief at the border checkpoint kilometre marker 48, Po Pra district, Tak province. After searching his house, the police found a .22 calibre gun, along with other unidentified weapons. This was of the same calibre as the gun shells found at the scene of the murders of the Burmese labourers. At the beginning of the investigation, the investigators suspected that this police officer was involved in the shootings of the Burmese labourers. The investigation is currently still under way; they are looking for more evidence and witnesses. Of the 12 people who set out seven dead bodies have been recovered, three people survived and two people remain missing. OFFICIAL ACTION:



Enforced Disappearances in Thailand  

Enforced Disappearances in Thailand