Tips for Finding Off-Campus Housing Most students start off excited about the prospect of searching for an apartment — but they quickly realize that it’s no easy process. Adding to the pressure, you have to be sure that you are making the right choice before you lock yourself into a year-long lease. This can be difficult, especially if you have never looked for housing before. However, approaching your search with a plan will increase your chances of success.
1. Start Your Search Early All the other students at your university who also want to live off campus will be interested in the same properties as you. Housing at the best prices and in good locations is always snapped up first. Instead of beginning your search right before school starts up, look early in the summer — before you become too busy with exams.
2. Pick Your Roommates Renting an entire apartment for yourself will likely be prohibitively expensive. The more people you share with, the lower the costs — bear in mind, you’ll be able to split utilities as well as rent. Talk to your friends to find out who has a similar budget to you and form a group to search for housing together.
3. Consider a Sublet If this is your first year at university, you might not have anyone that you know and that you could share with. A better option may be to find a room in a home. The off-campus housing service at your university might be able to help you find suitable listings.
4. Find a Student-Friendly Apartment Some landlords offer housing just for students. Such apartments are more likely to meet your needs, such as in rates and rental terms.
5. Sign a Lease Whoever you do end up renting from, you must sign a lease. This will protect you and ensure that you do have housing for the entire school year.
6. Donâ€™t Consider On-Campus Housing a Backup Plan You may think that if you are unable to find suitable off-campus housing, you can always apply for a room on campus as your fallback plan. In fact, university campuses are often fully booked and even have wait lists by spring. Cut your search for an apartment short by choosing student off-campus housing like West Village Suites. Our student rooms for rent are all-inclusive suites just steps from McMaster University. Best of all, our roommate matching service means thereâ€™s no need for you to find people who you want to live with beforehand.
Here are comprehensive tips for University students to help them find off-campus housing.