Page 1

2013/14 SEASON


Main Club Sponsor:

Premier Division 22 October 2013 – 7.45pm

Glossop North End



Club President

First Team

Brian Cripps

Glyn Meacher 07905 431526

Manager: Andy Nelson 07952 567240 Asst Mgr: Steve Settle (coach) Asst Mgr: Steve Eckersley (admin) Kit Manager: John Barton

Club Secretary

Reserve Team

Rob Turley 0161 448 1838 07891 298441

Manager: Robert Madden 07730 655446 Asst Manager: Jim Hines

Membership Secretary

Club Coaches


Monica Creer 0161 881 1135


Kris Mahon – First Team Tony Holmes – Goalkeepers Joel Hudson – Reserves

Dave Cooper 07961 063195

Physios Head of Fundraising Steve Eckersley 07788 112909

Community Development Davy Iredale

Publicity and Web John Churchman 07720 508082

Press Officer, Social Media & Web Rob McKay 07706 320397

Rachel Wood and Paddy Murphy

‘A’ Team Manager Danny Iredale 07939 392828

Youth Team Manager Ian Depeiaza 07838 232401

Junior Football Co-ordinator Mark Rogers 07841 112903

Vets Managers Chris Smith 07867 171815 Steve Fisher 07956 678937

Ownership: In accordance with THE Football Association Rule 2.13 Publication of ownership in relation to Step 1 to Step 6 clubs in the Football Pyramid we hereby confirm that the legal status of WEST DIDSBURY AND CHORLTON ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL CLUB is as not for profit private members club. Any gain arising from the carrying on of the Club shall be applied for the benefit of the Club or for some charitable or benevolent purpose or purposes approved by resolution at a general meeting of the Club.

CLUB INFO… To contact the club please use the club website West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC The Recreation Ground, Brookburn Road, Chorltonville Manchester M21 8FF


Glossop North End


It’s good to be back home again after 3 successive games on the road after our trips to St Helens Town, AFC Darwen and last weekend’s FA Vase game at Staveley. Those games saw a series of mixed results and performances with a spirited display at Staveley. But for an outstanding display from the home keeper and a couple of bad misses when it looked easier to score, we should at least have had a replay against last season’s Vase semi-finalists. We need another big performance tonight against Glossop North End who themselves were FA Vase finalists 4 years ago and big 7-0 winners last Saturday. Tonight we welcome Glossop North End to the club for the first time for the return fixture following our earlier visit to Surrey Street. Glossop are a club with a fantastic and illustrious history including a recent visit to Wembley in the FA Vase Final in 2008-09, a century after appearing in the FA Cup quarter final in 1908-09. In the first ever meeting between our clubs back in mid August Glossop deserved to win although the 1-0 score was hardly an accurate reflection of the number of chances they created. However we had our moments towards the end of that game and we look forward to another close contest tonight. A particular welcome to manager Steve Wilcox who spent a couple of months at the end of last season helping us in a voluntary coaching capacity whilst waiting for a new management opportunity. He and Andy know each other well and no doubt there will be another forensic review of tactics and tonight’s key moments in the bar afterwards. Last but not least we welcome the Committee and supporters of Glossop who were extremely friendly and hospitable when we visited Surrey Street in that first encounter. We hope you enjoy your first visit to The Recreation Ground and have a safe journey home afterwards. GREAT COMMITMENT After our great unbeaten run in September, October has been a frustrating month so far with narrow 1-0 defeats away at Norton and at home to Bacup and Rossendale Borough before we secured a point against Alsager when we should have taken all 3. We have been left to rue missed chances and some poor decisions in the last third when the final killer pass has been missing or the forwards have strayed offside far too often. We have also struggled to field a settled side as a result of several injuries and non availability. This has badly disrupted the emerging consistency we saw in September and some very late cry offs in particular were disrespectful of the huge amount of time and effort which Andy and the coaching staff put into the club. With two games a week since mid July and a third evening at training, the football management team are working flat out, not to mention the related team administration. The step up has been very demanding on players and management alike and is light years away from the more relaxed environment of the Manchester league days. It’s hard to believe that on this day only two years ago we were playing away at Monton Amateurs [won 2-0] on our way to playing 30 games in the Premier Division of that league. This season we will have at least 46 games to play including FA cup, FA Vase, the LFA Trophy and the NWC League Challenge Cup. The NWC Cup starts next Saturday when we welcome back AFC Liverpool. It is all a big ask for our players and team management but we are immensely grateful for all they give to the club and for their contributions to having lifted the club to the level we are playing today, including competing and holding our own in FA national competitions. Please spread the word about what has been happening at the club over the past few seasons and bring a friend to the next game. In the meantime ENJOY TONIGHT’S GAME and the CLUBHOUSE REFRESHMENTS and don’t forget to BRING A FRIEND ON SATURDAY! Rob Turley The front cover picture: Richmond Botchey in action. Our thanks to Mike Fryer for providing photos again this season for the web and programme.


View from the Dugout We return to Brookburn Road tonight after three disappointing away games which have wielded 0 points, 0 goals scored and the exit of two cups. In our last home game we drew 0-0 with Alsager in a pulsating game that had everything from both teams except a goal. We created a host of chances but we were unable to hit the target. Credit must go to Alsager as they were as good as any team that has come to Brookburn Road this season and tried to play football. Unlike our first meeting where we were camped in their half for 90 minutes they really took the game to us in the first half. The second half was one way traffic towards their goal but Alsager could have had the last say when they missed an open goal with the final kick of the game. St Helens Town felt like a bad case of déjà vu as we arguably shaded a tight first half but our concentration levels cost us in the final stages of the first half. After that we were always chasing the game and again credit must go to St Helens who took all their chances whilst we missed ours. In the Lancashire Trophy at Darwen we were again the better team in the first half despite handing several players from the reserve team a debut as well as experimenting with players in new positions. However the penalty and the red card to Conrad Betton changed the game. This is no place to criticise the match officials but when Darwen immediately added a second moments after they scored the penalty the game was academic. The game was over in the second half when the ball was kicked out of Dale’s hands for 0-3 but worst of all our heads dropped and we allowed the game to get away from us. It was a bad night for the club and not one I wish for anyone connected with the cub to experience again but we have taken some valuable lessons from the game. On Saturday we travelled to Staveley in the FA Vase and were unlucky to come away without a result. We played extremely well and completely dominated the second half but again did everything but score. I have always insisted that we play the game the right way and the number of travelling fans we took to Staveley was a testament to that and I would like to thank everyone who made the journey. We have a tough fixture tonight facing Glossop North End. Their manager Chris Wilcox spent the back of last season with us and has done a good job in the early stages with Glossop. I would like to welcome everyone to tonight’s fixture including the players, officials and supporters of Glossop North End. Andy Nelson We are on the lookout for Club Helpers. CAN YOU HELP? Our club is dependent on the time and effort of volunteer helpers who act as club officials, manage and staff the bar and clubhouse on match days, produce the match day programme and undertake a host of other tasks around the clubhouse and grounds. Every little helps so if you are interested in getting involved please contact us at Or contact the secretary, Rob Turley on 07891 298441 or e-mail to:


OUR SPONSORS We would like to express our sincere thanks to our current pitch side board sponsors for their support. Without you we wouldn’t be where we are today.

CLUB MERCHANDISE…NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE!!! Support your local club and show your support with our latest official club merchandise! New for this season at £6 (£5 for club members and supporters’ club members) we have beanie hats and a club crest scarf. There are now more ways than ever to buy club merchandise as in addition to being able to purchase on match days our new online club shop is open. Simply log on to today to purchase what you want and have it delivered straight to your front door! Wrist bands £1, Mugs at £5, Key rings at £1, Club badges at £3 Club Ties at £12.50

Follow News Updates on West via Twitter and Facebook! Can’t make it to the game and want live match updates? Wanting the very latest news from the club on the move? Make sure that you log onto our Facebook page for all the latest news, views and updates on all things West Didsbury & Chorlton by clicking on Alternatively you can follow on the very latest goings on the club with exclusive content by logging onto Twitter and following us @WD_CFC (picture of club badge)

Ground Safety In the interest of spectator comfort and safety, the following conditions apply at the clubs Brookburn Road ground and must be observed at all times.        

In case of fire or other emergency that requires the clubhouse or ground to be evacuated instructions will be given over the public address system, and we ask that you comply with those instructions immediately. The chanting of racist or obscene chanting is strictly forbidden. Glasses, bottles, gas canisters, knives, darts, tools, flag poles or any other articles likely to cause injury are not permitted into the ground. Alcohol may be purchased and consumed in the bar area only. Children are not allowed in the Club House unless accompanied by an adult. Encroachment onto the playing area is forbidden at all times. Standing is not allowed in front of the seated areas. All forms of transport on the clubs car park is at the owners’ risk.

The club reserves the right to remove any person from the ground who is in breach of these rules or whose presence is a source of danger or annoyance to others. We hope you understand the reasons for the above are in order for the game to be enjoyed in safe and pleasant conditions. Thank you, West Didsbury and Chorlton AFC Committee


First Team… Match Reports… Tuesday 8th October: West 0 Alsager Town 0 In a game that had everything bar a goal West and Alsager played out a thrilling stalemate. Both sides clearly set out to try and play football but it was Alsager who had the better of the chances in the first half as they had a close range shot deflected wide for a corner which was then headed over. Minutes later Ben Simpson was called into action to tip a thunderous volley over the bar then going close again curling a shot wide of the far post. West came into the game late on in the first half as the Alsager goalkeeper was forced into a great double save before Tom Walsh shot over from a tight angle. The first half ended all square when Rick Gleave shot over from long range. The second half began as the first half ended as West piled on the pressure in an attempt to break the deadlock. The real danger came from Scott Mason’s set pieces which were whipped in time and time again and Alsager found to un-defendable. The best chance of the night came from Sam Mitten who danced through the defence but poked the ball just wide after terrific build up play from Rick Gleave and debutant Reece Davies. Richmond Botchey then hit the side netting with a long range shot that hit the inside netting. West couldn’t find a way through but despite being camped inside their own half for much of the second half almost had the final say when they missed an open goal with what was almost the final kick of the game.

Saturday 12th October: St Helens Town 3 West 0 It was a day to forget as a bare-bones West came away with nothing to show for their efforts. The game was a tight affair with West setting up with a five man midfield trying to catch St Helens on the break with Rick Gleave releasing Tre Baldwin-Willis through the middle of the St Helens defence only for the linesman to flag for offside. West had the early chances with Rick Gleave heading a BaldwinWillis cross wide before Dave Conlon had a header deflected wide after a Scott Mason free kick was whipped in. The deadlock was broken on 42 minutes when Andrew Gillespie broke the offside trap, raced through and sent goalkeeper Ben Simpson the wrong way with a shot high into the goal despite suspicions of offside. The goal was a sucker punch to West who had just shaded a close first half. West came out for the second half looking to get back on level terms immediately as a terrific ball down the right hand side found Tre Baldwin-Willis who put in a cross that was just too high for substitute Tommy Walsh who headed just over. Richmond Botchey also went close as his cross from the left was whipped into the far post and dangerously knocked past the far post for a corner. At the other Simpson made a great double save from the home side but on 65 minutes it was 0-2 as a long ball was cleared over the top of the West defence and Gillespie lobbed Simpson for his second. If there were suspicions of offside for the first goal there was no doubt for the second one as the striker had failed to track back onside but referee waived away West’s protests. West continued to try to get themselves back into the game with Lee Malkin creating a hat-trick of chances, forcing a good save from the St Helens goalkeeper, had a shot deflected wide after a wonderful one-two in the box and had a wonderful overhead kick cleared off the line. However it was St Helens who extended their lead further when Gillespie, having spurned the chance to complete his hat-trick shooting wide when having rounded the keeper, was left unmarked at the far post and finished with an impressive diving header from Storey’s cross from the right. To round off a terrible afternoon Alex Baird received his second red card of the season for what the referee later said after the match was for a stamp.

Please Note: The FA Vase report will be in the AFC Liverpool programme on Saturday.

Reserve Team‌ Match Report Saturday 12th October: West 4 Cheadle Town 3 West had another league home game this time against Cheadle Town. As with a number of games this season West started on the back foot. It was not until the tenth minute that West managed to have any meaningful attach on the Cheadle goal which came from a cross by Shackeel DePeiaza for Carl Worthington to force a save from the keeper. West continued to be pinned back but in the eighteenth minute Tyler Ferguson picked up the ball on the West left and played a long ball to Shackeel who struck the ball well, it sailed over the Cheadle keeper and West went into a 1-0 lead much against the run of play. West continued to defend well with Paul Hughes in the West goal making several very important close range saves to maintain Wests lead. West continued to lead until five minutes before half time when they did not defend a corner well, the ball bobbled about in the penalty area and Cheadle scored when the ball was struck through a number of players to level the score. With the game approaching half time Cheadle again broke down the West left, the ball was crossed into the box and Cheadle went in at half time 1-2 up. With five minutes gone in the second half West brought on Mike Meikleham in midfield and within two minutes West played a ball over the top of the Cheadle defence Carl Worthington worked hard to reach the ball and slot it past the Cheadle keeper to level the score. In the next seven minutes West doubled their score to lead 4-2, goals from Tom Webb who scored a near post flick following a low cross form Tyler and then Tyler scoring himself with a header at the far post from a Carl Worthington corner. With West beginning to play well and in control of the game, Cheadle pulled one back following a ball to the Cheadle right, the player looked offside, but despite appeals from the West defence the goal was allowed. West defended well following a number of attacks from Cheadle who were looking to get something out of the game, but in the final few minutes West should have increased their lead further but for a very good save from the Cheadle keeper at the feet of Carl which resulted in the keeper having to go off injured. West saw the game out 4-3 winners which moved them into fourth position, five points behind league leaders Glossop North End with two games in hand. Rob Madden


‘A’ Team Match Report… Saturday 5th October: Wythenshawe Amateurs 4 West 3 On 5th October the A team travelled to Wythenshawe Amateurs. On the back of a good result last week and with a large squad the returning Manager Danny Iredale had reason to be optimistic, unfortunately this was soon shattered as an abysmal opening fifteen minutes saw West three down. A combination of two long throw ins and a quick route one ball caught the defence off guard on an extremely tight pitch leaving the team shell shocked. The Manager had to change things and after twenty minutes made the call with Taffarel Levy and Conor O'Hanlon the players who will consider themselves unfortunate to be taken off. Kris Parry and Gary Lilley entered the fray and a combination of Parry's determination to win everything in the air at the back and Lilley's tenacity to win and receive the ball in the middle saw the team begin to compete. The match swung rapidly into Wests favour, in terms of effort and quality if not goals. Chances started to come for the away team and it was no surprise when we finally clawed one back through Lilley with a measured side foot finish. 3-1 at half time and little required saying as Wests felt that they now had the bit between their teeth. The second half began how the first had ended with constant pressure from the away side. A right sided corner kick from Ashcroft saw a near post header from Grimshaw somehow cleared off the line before Landan Clarke followed up and a comical handball saw the Wythenshawe player juggle the ball from one hand to the other before clearing. The referee gave nothing which added to the injustice felt by the team as a first half penalty appeal for a two handed push into the back of the airborne Clarke was also turned down. This simply resulted in Wests upping the pace and increasing the pressure on the home side which was rewarded with the second goal from Bobby Ashcroft. The final substitution saw Andrew Farren come on for Luke Morley on the left as West sought a well deserved equaliser which was duly provided by Gary Lilley, a right footed shot from outside the box rocketed into the top corner for his second of the game. The celebrations showed how much it meant to the team to turn such a terrible start into a result and one which could still be converted into three points. This wasn't to be as within a minute the joy turned to despair as a free kick was given away in what didn't seem too dangerous a position and the old adage of you never being more vulnerable than when you've just scored proved correct as a lapse in concentration coupled with a failure to listen to instructions at the back saw a whipped free kick evade everyone and give Sam Moore in net no chance as it bounced agonisingly in at the far post. Again Wests tried to fight back for the final few minutes and so nearly equalised again but it was not to be and a game which featured some of our best and worst moments so far this season ended in defeat. Gary Lilley was clearly man of the match in the captain's opinion with special mention also going to Landan Clarke but all players should feel proud of the momentous effort to get back into this match whilst also taking heed of how easy it easy to let things slip when concentration wanes and remember the emptiness felt at the end of this game in order that we don't let this happen again going forward. Nick Grimshaw

200 Club September winners… This month the three winners are: £100 winner: Raiffe Copp-Barton £60 winner: Danny Iredale £40 winner: Rodney Norburn The 200 Club is a key source of revenue for club, would you like the chance to be winner. Why wait? For a monthly subscription of just £2 you will be in the next draw.

History… Glossop North End It’s a classic quiz question — which is the smallest town in England to have been the home of a top division football club? The answer — Glossop. Of course, it’s a long time since that 1899/1900 season but the Hillmen (or Hillsmen, as they were known back then, in honour of owner Sir Samuel Hill-Wood) supporters never forget the proud history of the club. However more recently they were given some more moments that they will talk about in the town for years to come and are hopeful of providing a few more. Founded in 1886, Glossop North End began by playing friendly amateur matches. They entered the North Cheshire League in 1890 and introduced professional players in 1894. Their Chairman and benefactor was local cotton magnate Sir Samuel Hill-Wood who later left to become Chairman of Woolwich Arsenal. In 1898, on their third application, they were admitted to the Football League. In their first season, by finishing runners-up to Manchester City, they won promotion to the Football League Division 1. Unfortunately, they spent just one year in the division, the best victory being a 3-0 result against Nottingham Forest. Glossop played in League Division 2 until the end of the 1914/15 season, In 1908/09 reaching the quarter finals of the FA Cup where they lost to Bristol City in a replay. They ceased playing during the latter part of the First World War but were reformed by Oswald Partington MP, who had been club captain in the 1890’s. Between the wars the club played in the Lancashire Combination and the Manchester League, of which they were champions in 1927/28. They also won the Gilgryst Cup on three occasions. Matches again ceased during the Second World War, Glossop rejoining the Manchester League afterwards. They won the Gilgryst Cup for a fourth time in 1949. In 1955 they moved from their original ground at North Road to the present home at Surrey Street. Since then they have played in the Lancashire Combination, the Manchester and the Cheshire Leagues before becoming founder members of the North West Counties League in 1982. Glossop have spent most of the time in the First (now Premier) division, although much of it was spent at the lower end fighting against relegation, whilst the club itself fought for survival, victim of a criminally corrupt owner in the 1980s. It was only the hard work of board members and supporters kept the club afloat after the disgraced regime. There was a little success — the club was Manchester Premier Cup winners in 1997 and 1998, and Derbyshire Cup winners in 2000-01. More recently though, things have improved for the Hillmen. 2008/09 saw the biggest day in the history of the club after Steve Young & Terry Hincks’ side embarked on a terrific FA Vase run which saw North End reach the final at Wembley. They played in every single round of the competition leaving some fantastic memories for supporters along the way... none more dramatic than the 123rd minute equalizer in the semi-final against Chalfont St. Peter. This led to a penalty shootout where the Hillman seized the opportunity to head down Wembley Way. Whilst the final saw a disappointing result — losing 2-0 to Whitley Bay — the run awakened interest in the Hillmen throughout the town. There is now a thriving Supporters Club, which has funded makeovers to the ground and helped generate interest in the club home and away. This forms part of a more dramatic overhaul that has seen a refurbishment of changing rooms, a new clubhouse and a new covered standing area. Ground grading for the league above has been achieved too and the club feels it is ready to progress up the pyramid. In new manager Chris Willcock they hope to have found the man to take the first steps on that path. With optimism high again, everyone at the club is hopeful that Glossop North End can now realise plans for an exciting future as a club at the heart of the community.


First Team Stats fixtures – results – appearances - goalscorers

First Team Stats fixtures – results – appearances - goalscorers

Substitute Notes: Match 5 – unused substitute Rhys Bailey-Morton Match 9 - unused substitutes Callum Jones, Dale Newbrook


Can YOU help the ground development‌ by sponsoring a shirt number for £20? Please sign up on the poster in the clubhouse or talk to a committee member for more information

NWCFL Premier Division Table Correct as of 20/10/2013


Youth Team…Quotes from the Manager After scoring 7 goals in consecutive weeks we asked Ian Depeiaza (Coach Peza), Youth Team Manager for his thoughts on the two games. Sunday 5th October Didsbury JFC U17,s 0 West Youth 7 "I thought we were absolutely excellent. We created many chances and we looked solid and their keeper had to be on form. This was up there with our best performances of the season and we are on a roll, but it doesn't guarantee you anything. It was wonderful to reap the rewards of our regular squad rotation. As always players playing for their shirt, reputations, respect of other and manager’s comments. We were too good in the first half and like I said created many chances but in the second half I saw the team that I want to see. With energy, quality and desire. KEEP SETTING YOUR STANDARDS HIGH”…….

Sunday 13th October Heyside JFC U17’s 1 West Youth 7 "We had two different halves. There were plenty of chances for both sides. We had a great first half where we were fluent and played well going forward and maybe it should have been game over at half-time, but Heyside came back with a great determination. For a while in the second half we looked jaded physically and lost our technical quality but whilst we were in front we found the resources again. And we showed another aspect to our game – that we can dig deep and fight when we are under pressure in order to win back our authority of the game. Thus allowing us to express ourselves again with positive effects. At the interval I felt confident we would get the three points and we did so by showing tremendous resilience and wonderful character. At this point I actually think all the players have improved their mental attitudes massively since they’ve been with me because their now turning victories into convincing wins. Overall it was good and we are on a very strong run”

STOP PRESS Lancashire Youth County Cup Southport U18’s 0 West Youth 5 West Youth U17’s earned the plaudits at Southport on Sunday afternoon with a terrific performance and display against the holders of the Cup for the past two years. Match Report will be in the AFC Liverpool programme on Saturday.


Recent action‌


*Player no longer with the club


Date for your diary… Saturday 2nd November Volunteers needed to help with:  Stewarding on the night  Setting up stalls  Manning stalls  Sponsors for prizes on the stalls are also needed Please Contact: Rob Madden with any offers of help on: 07730655446

Disciplinary Table – 1st to 30th September Team


Congleton Town Runcorn Linnets Glossop North End AFC Blackpool Norton United Silsden Maine Road Bacup & Rossendale B. Runcorn Town Colne Bootle AFC Liverpool Stockport Sports Alsager Town St Helens Town Wigan Robin Park Barnoldswick Town WESTS Ashton Athletic Squires Gate Winsford United Abbey Hey

3 1 1 6 3 3 6 4 4 4 5 4 4 3 4 6 6 4 4 3 2 4

Red Points 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0

Red cards 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

Yellow Points 8 2 2 8 5 5 10 6 6 6 4 5 5 3 4 3 5 3 3 2 1 2

Yellow cards 8 2 2 8 5 5 10 6 6 6 4 5 5 3 4 3 5 3 3 2 1 2

Total Points 8 2 2 11 5 5 10 6 6 6 7 5 5 3 4 6 5 3 3 2 1 2

Average points 2.67 2.00 2.00 1.83 1.67 1.67 1.67 1.50 1.50 1.50 1.40 1.25 1.25 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.83 0.75 0.75 0.67 0.50 0.50




West Didsbury and Chorlton FC, have come a long way in their 105 year history which began back in 1908 when the club was founded as Christ Church A.F.C. by Mr R F Hartley, a Sunday School Superintendent at the church on Princess Parkway, West Didsbury.

West played friendlies at first and then in the Manchester Alliance League until the First World War 1914. After the War the club joined the Lancashire and Cheshire League for the 1920/21 season and had to change its name to West Didsbury AFC, as that League did not permit a name suggesting association with any other body. The club was placed in Divisions 1 and A, staying in the top flight for 25 seasons. The first honours were double runners up in Div 1 and Rhodes Cup in 1922/23, and the club remained in the L+C League until 2006, winning many honours and providing 4 League Presidents along the way. The home ground from before 1914 until the mid 1980’s was Christie Playing Fields, and then the owners, Manchester and Salford Playing Fields Society, gave the club notice to quit having decided to sell off the land for commercial development – now ironically called ‘Christie Fields’ office park. After several years’ nomadic existence searching for a new home, the club acquired the redundant and overgrown Recreation Ground at Brookburn Road in 1996, and began to restore this to active use and develop a vision for a community club. This was down to the hard work of a core of players and Committee who refused to let the club fold. Work was completed in time to start the 1997-98 season using excellent new changing rooms and clubhouse facilities aided by a Lottery grant, new sponsors and members’ fundraising, but without a penny from the Playing Fields Society sale proceeds. Further name change followed in 2003 to reflect the new location in Chorlton and the club was then elected to the Manchester League in 2006. In 2007/8 West won its first Manchester League silverware lifting the Murray Shield in the last game of our centenary year. That team was the nucleus of the previously successful junior team and the following season 2008/09 West just missed promotion to the Premier Division and again reached the Murray Shield Final. won their League.

With a new management team led by Andy Nelson, 2009/10 was very successful and honours spread throughout the club. The 1st team won the Murray Shield (the third consecutive year in the final) and was league runners-up. The reserves won the Bridgewater League Cup and the U17 Youth team won their League. In 2010/2011 the 1st team won the Manchester League First Division title in style with a fantastic 65 points out of 72 possible. This ranks as one of the highest points totals per game in Manchester League history dating back over a century. The clubs reserve team and youth teams also had terrific seasons, resulting in promotion and for the second year reaching the Bridgewater Cup Final. The Youth team reached yet another final where they were just pipped to the trophy by New Mills. The Veterans were runners up in the Premier Division of the Cheshire Veterans League and then started a second veterans team such was the interest in the club. Plans were also made to formally integrate junior football as the club Vision is to be a FA Charter Standard Community Club, playing at the highest possible level it can whilst remaining financially viable. Further improved saw floodlights erected in 2011 to meet FA requirements and West competed in the FA Vase for the first time in 2011-2012 as a Step 7 club. Election to the NWCFL followed in June 2012 and the club had an incredible first season winning the Div1 Trophy, finishing in 3 rd position after an amazing run in during March and April to secure promotion and also winning a guaranteed FA Cup place. The over 45’s team again chipped in with Cheshire Veterans league silverware. 2013-14 promises to be another testing season as the club adjusts to life in the NWCFL Premier Division, improves its spectator facilities, adds new grass pitches and youth teams as part of its development plan, and aims for long term consolidation and stability at this level whilst remaining as a volunteer run, ‘not for profit’ club.

NWCFL Premier Division Tuesday 22nd October 2013 – Today’s Squads

West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

Glossop North End

White Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks

Blue Shirts, Blue Shorts and Blue Socks

Ben Simpson (GK)

Ben Proctor

Steve Settle

Alex Byrne

Richmond Botchey

Harry Bockarie

Anthony Potts

Kevin Lugsden

Mark Rogers (Capt)

Lincoln Adams (Capt)

Mark Woodcock

Nick Allen

Rick Gleave

Chris Hirst

Scott Mason

Gavin Ellison

Lee Malkin

Tom Bailey

Tre Baldwin Willis

Sam Hare

Sam Mitten

Lee Blackshaw

Alex Baird

Nathan Neequave

Tommy Walsh

Jordan Goodeve

Danny Summers

Daley Rothewell

Gareth Thomas

Paul Cliff

Dave Conlon

Richard Davies

Ross Booth (GK)

Andrew Kilheeney Jamie Kay Lee Morris Dave Young

Manager: Andy Nelson

Manager: Chris Willcock

Assistants: Steve Eckersley & Steve Settle

Assistant: Lee Donafee

OFFICIALS Referee: Andrew Halliday

Assistants: William Slinger and Andrew Sykes

NEXT HOME GAME Tuesday 29th October 2013, KO 7.45pm

WEST v Ashton Athletic

West Didsbury & Chorlton v Glossop north end  

NWCFL Premier Division Tuesday 22nd October 2013

West Didsbury & Chorlton v Glossop north end  

NWCFL Premier Division Tuesday 22nd October 2013