Page 1

2013/14 SEASON


Main Club Sponsor:

Premier Division 8th October 2013 – 7.45pm

Alsager Town



Club President

First Team

Brian Cripps

Glyn Meacher 07905 431526

Manager: Andy Nelson 07952 567240 Asst Mgr: Steve Settle (coach) Asst Mgr: Steve Eckersley (admin) Kit Manager: John Barton

Club Secretary

Reserve Team

Rob Turley 0161 448 1838 07891 298441

Manager: Robert Madden 07730 655446 Asst Manager: Jim Hines

Membership Secretary

Club Coaches


Monica Creer 0161 881 1135


Kris Mahon – First Team Tony Holmes – Goalkeepers Joel Hudson – Reserves

Dave Cooper 07961 063195

Physios Head of Fundraising Steve Eckersley 07788 112909

Community Development Davy Iredale

Publicity and Web John Churchman 07720 508082

Press Officer, Social Media & Web Rob McKay 07706 320397

Rachel Wood and Paddy Murphy

‘A’ Team Manager Danny Iredale 07939 392828

Youth Team Manager Ian Depeiaza 07838 232401

Junior Football Co-ordinator Mark Rogers 07841 112903

Vets Managers Chris Smith 07867 171815 Steve Fisher 07956 678937

Ownership: In accordance with THE Football Association Rule 2.13 Publication of ownership in relation to Step 1 to Step 6 clubs in the Football Pyramid we hereby confirm that the legal status of WEST DIDSBURY AND CHORLTON ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL CLUB is as not for profit private members club. Any gain arising from the carrying on of the Club shall be applied for the benefit of the Club or for some charitable or benevolent purpose or purposes approved by resolution at a general meeting of the Club.

CLUB INFO… To contact the club please use the club website West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC The Recreation Ground, Brookburn Road, Chorltonville Manchester M21 8FF


Alsager Town

Tonight we welcome the players officials and supporters of Alsager Town to the club for the first time as we look for the opportunity to bounce back from the disappointment of a ‘pointless’ first week in October. This was hard to take after a good month in September and also after two games when the opposition had decided to shut up shop and deny us any opportunities to play the quality possession football we did at Runcorn Town. The game at Norton was frustrating because we did not convert the few chances we created into goals. The game against Bacup and Rossendale even more frustrating because we did not create any clear cut chances and had to withstand a series of severe physical challenges including a few outright assaults from a side intent on getting a point at any cost. The fact they nicked all 3 with 2 minutes remaining was rubbing salt in the wound given things are so tight in this division. A win last weekend would have lifted us up to the heady heights of 8th place whereas defeat meant a 3 place drop making it important that we get some points from tonight and Saturday’s away league game against a resurgent St Helens. As we go into tonight’s game there is only a margin of 9 points separating 6th place and bottom of the table demonstrating just how fine the margins are between most of the clubs in the division. Alsager arrive this evening 3 points and a couple of places beneath us looking for a win to get away from the foot of the table. A win for West would push us back up into mid table so let’s get behind the team tonight as they go all out to reverse the unfortunate 0-2 score when we travelled to Alsager in our first ever away game in the Premier Division. That was a game when we should have taken at least a point and tonight is our opportunity to reverse that result and even the head to head between our two clubs. Next Saturday the away game against St Helens will be played at the home of Ashton Athletic where St Helens Town are ground sharing this season. Next Wednesday evening 16th October we are away again at Darwen in the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy, kick off 7.45pm. NEXT HOME LEAGUE GAME here at Brookburn Road is Tuesday 23rd October v Glossop North End, kick off 7.45pm. FA VASE TRAVEL – Sat 19th October 2013. The coach is booked and we have a good number of supporters who have reserved seats for the away trip to Staveley MW for the next round in this season’s FA Vase adventure. We will be leaving from outside The Bowling Green on Brookburn Road at 11.30am arriving at Staveley by 1.30pm and returning to Chorlton by around 8pm. Staveley play in the Premier Division of the Northern Counties East and are having a similar start to the season as ourselves so this promises to be another close game with a huge incentive for us to get a result. Please contact Rob McKay on 07706320397 if you would like to join the travelling party. In the meantime sit back, enjoy the mild autumn temperatures and this evening’s game. Thanks for your support and don’t forget you can keep in touch with all our news at: Rob Turley The front cover picture: Mark Rogers in action.. Our thanks to Mike Fryer for providing photos again this season for the web and programme.


View from the Dugout It has been a difficult week after writing my managers notes for the Bacup game as travelled down to Norton last Tuesday where we lost despite playing really well against the league’s top scorers and a side with a 100% home record. It was the kind of game where the home side got their goal and clung on to it for dear life whilst we tried to find a way to break them down. I feel that if we had managed to get the equaliser, and we created the chances, we would have ultimately gone on and won it. To add insult to injury, literally, we were forced into three substitutions as Mark Woodcock, Sam Mitten and Rick Gleave were all forced to come off due to injuries sustained in the game. However it meant that we were able to hand playing time to young Tommy and Kyle Hendley who didn’t let us down. For Tommy it was his second appearance of the week after being thrown into the mix in the last minutes at Runcorn Town and he showed some nice touches. On Saturday it was a case of déjà vu as we struggled on a difficult surface against a side intent on bullying their way to a point and systematic fouling. Their 90th minute winner end the week miserably after what had been a terrific start at Runcorn. Tonight we welcome Alsager Town and the chance to ‘avenge’ our defeat from our first meeting back in August. That night we were virtually camped inside their half for the full 90 minutes and they scored an excellent goal from what felt like the first time they crossed the half way line. It again shows the importance of ensuring that we are focussed and concentrate for the entire 90 minutes and that in this league everyone is fighting for points and won’t let us off of the hook for any mistakes. That game feels a lifetime ago as we ended August with 5 league defeats which is why I was so pleased to finish September unbeaten in all competitions. We’ve had some challenges in the early stages of this season and it is a testament to the hard work and commitment of everyone involved that we were able to collect points of the likes of Stockport Sports and Runcorn Town who both have ambitions of promotion and wins against AFC Blackpool and Wigan Robin Park who are both fighting for survival. Although we have had the set back against Norton I am really hoping that we can carry this momentum on throughout October as we’ve several crucial games against sides which will determine which half of the table we will be competing in as well as three cup competitions to look forward to. I would like to welcome the players, officials and supporters of Alsager Town to Brookburn Road for this evenings game.

Andy Nelson

We are on the lookout for Club Helpers. CAN YOU HELP? Our club is dependent on the time and effort of volunteer helpers who act as club officials, manage and staff the bar and clubhouse on match days, produce the match day programme and undertake a host of other tasks around the clubhouse and grounds. Every little helps so if you are interested in getting involved please contact us at Or contact the secretary, Rob Turley on 07891 298441 or e-mail to:


OUR SPONSORS We would like to express our sincere thanks to our current pitch side board sponsors for their support. Without you we wouldn’t be where we are today.

CLUB MERCHANDISE…NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE!!! Support your local club and show your support with our latest official club merchandise! New for this season at £6 (£5 for club members and supporters’ club members) we have beanie hats and a club crest scarf. There are now more ways than ever to buy club merchandise as in addition to being able to purchase on match days our new online club shop is open. Simply log on to today to purchase what you want and have it delivered straight to your front door! Wrist bands £1, Mugs at £5, Key rings at £1, Club badges at £3 Club Ties at £12.50

Follow News Updates on West via Twitter and Facebook! Can’t make it to the game and want live match updates? Wanting the very latest news from the club on the move? Make sure that you log onto our Facebook page for all the latest news, views and updates on all things West Didsbury & Chorlton by clicking on Alternatively you can follow on the very latest goings on the club with exclusive content by logging onto Twitter and following us @WD_CFC (picture of club badge)

Ground Safety In the interest of spectator comfort and safety, the following conditions apply at the clubs Brookburn Road ground and must be observed at all times.        

In case of fire or other emergency that requires the clubhouse or ground to be evacuated instructions will be given over the public address system, and we ask that you comply with those instructions immediately. The chanting of racist or obscene chanting is strictly forbidden. Glasses, bottles, gas canisters, knives, darts, tools, flag poles or any other articles likely to cause injury are not permitted into the ground. Alcohol may be purchased and consumed in the bar area only. Children are not allowed in the Club House unless accompanied by an adult. Encroachment onto the playing area is forbidden at all times. Standing is not allowed in front of the seated areas. All forms of transport on the clubs car park is at the owners’ risk.

The club reserves the right to remove any person from the ground who is in breach of these rules or whose presence is a source of danger or annoyance to others. We hope you understand the reasons for the above are in order for the game to be enjoyed in safe and pleasant conditions. Thank you, West Didsbury and Chorlton AFC Committee


First Team… Match Reports… Saturday 28th September: Runcorn Town 0 West 1 West put in an all-round excellent team performance as they upset high-flying Runcorn Town at Sandy Lane. Aware that Runcorn Town had scored four in each of their last three games manager Andy Nelson set out with a five man midfield in an effort to stifle Runcorn and deny them space on the tight pitch. Despite the defensive shape West started brightly and were almost ahead after three minutes when Sam Mitten released Tre Baldwin-Wilis who fired a left footed volley forcing the keeper into a superb save to force a corner. Runcorn responded when Jason Carey had a good chance finished well wide when clean through from a suspiciously offside position. West kept possession well and created the best chance before the break when Richmond Botchey went on a mazy run and his dipping longe range effort was tipped over the bar. The home side were beginning to show frustration and the first yellow card appeared after 43 minutes and Rick Gleave went close from the resultant free kick. The second half followed much the same pattern as the first and it took an hour before Runcorn’s best chance arrived but Captain Mark Rogers was on hand to clear from six yards. West responded instantly with the home keeper flapping at a Scott Mason free kick and two further yellows followed for the home side as their frustration grew. After 70 minutes West went ahead after good work down the left side saw Baldwin-Willis play in substitute Tommy Walsh who twisted and turned past a pair of defenders before sliding the ball invitingly across the six yard box for Rick Gleave to turn the ball home at the far post. Runcorn withdrew last season’s top scorer Jason Carey and in the last 15 minutes Chorlton-born Ben Simpson produced a master class of reflex saves to preserve the 1-0 lead. First, from a deflected free kick which he stopped one handed just on the line, then a great reflex save from a long throw and point blank header six yards out, quickly followed by a fantastic one handed to tip over a cracking first time volley which looked destined for the top corner but West held on for the victory and Simpson the man of the match.

Tuesday 1st October: Norton United 1 v West 0 A solitary goal separated Norton United and West as the home side maintained their 100% home record despite finishing the game with 10 men. The game was a energetic affair with both sides stretching the play and looking to make the break through early on. Tre Baldwin-Willis, Richmond Botchey and Tommy Walsh all went close with chances in the opening exchanges. Likewise Norton were equally determined, moving the ball quickly in the final third putting West’s defence under early pressure and creating several chances of their own. In the opening half an hour both sides created chances but neither goalkeeper was troubled until Norton had a goal disallowed for a basketball style handball. West more than matched Norton until 33 minutes when Richard Smith capitalised on a deflected clearance and volleyed the ball past Ben Simpson into the bottom left hand corner. West tried to level before half time with some terrific build up play from Rick Gleave, Sam Mitten and Baldwin-Willis with Gleave going close with a left footed volley from just outside the area. At the other end Norton missed a golden chance with an unmarked free header at the far post but both sides went in at half time with the scoreline 0-1 and midfielder Mark Woodcock severely limping, with a suspected broken foot, having been on the receiving end of a rash challenge. The second half began as the first half ended as Danny Summers was on the receiving end of yet another bad challenge by Norton and Lee Talbot received his marching orders for a second yellow card. Alex Baird, later awarded man of the match in a combative centre midfield, then went close from an excellent Botchey cross as they used the extra man to their advantage. Danny Summers then shot narrowly wide before Walsh headed a chance over. The second half was as scrappy as the first half was excellent as Norton, a goal up and a man down resorted to time wasting, provoking Wests players into retaliation and falling to the floor at the slightest of touch. West continued to pile on the pressure as both Tommy and Kyle Hendley came on for Sam Mitten and Rick Gleave respectively, both coming off injured as the result of bad Norton challenges. West thought they had levelled late on when Baldwin-Willis chested down and volleyed a superb Steve Settle cross into the roof of the net but was ruled offside. Baldwin-Willis went close again with two chances in stoppage time but the referee blew before his six minutes of allotted added time and Norton scraped home with the points.

Reserve Team‌ Match Report Saturday 28th September: West 3 New Mills 2 New Mills, second in the league were Wests next opponents. Having come off a very good win against third placed Padiham last weekend, New Mills would be another stern test for the young West side. West started well and surprised the New Mills defence from the off, the pace and movement shown by the midfield and forward line put New Mills under pressure from the start and forced their defence into several unforced errors. In the seventh minute Josh Chishambo playing at right back, collected the ball in his own half, took the ball into the News Mills half beating several players in the process, passed the ball to Carl Worthington who beat the centre half and shot from the edge of the box, the ball rebounding off the keeper and fell to Alberto Mezcua on the left who lobbed from 10 yards to put West into a 1-0 lead. West continued to press forward and in the tenth minute Carl was again in the right place with a one on one with the keeper, Carl took his time and played the ball squad to Shackeel Depeiaza who slotted the ball into an empty net 2-0 to West. In the twentieth minute West were forced into a substitution when Nathan Wakelam, making his first start of the season took an elbow to the face. This forced West into making changes at the back, with Kyle Hendley going into the back four and Tyler Ferguson coming on in midfield. West remained in total control of the game and in the twenty fifth minute Shackeel collected the ball and again ran at the New Mills defence, a reverse pass cut the defence in half and Carl ran onto the ball to make the score 3-0. West continued to push forward and New Mills were forced into pumping long balls down the pitch and long throw ins. In the fortieth minute New Mills were awarded a penalty which they converted off the upright to go in at half time 3-1 down. New Mills came out in the second half much more organised and put West under pressure, the inevitable happened and New Mills scored a second goal following what looked to be an unfair challenge on Paul Hughes in the West goal. The game continued to be end to end stuff however and West could have gone further in front when Mohammed Elgouhari shot just wide following a back heal from Danny Summers. West finished the game much the stronger and had other chances from Tyler Ferguson and Ryse Bailey-Morton. An excellent result from a team (pictured below before the game against Padiham) that is starting to produce some very good football. Rob Madden


‘A’ Team Match Report… Saturday 28th September: Broadheath JFC 1 West 3 The A Team’s third home game in a row saw us entertain high flying Broadheath JFC who were looking to take advantage of Moorlands’ lack of fixture to go top of the league. This looked to be on the cards when leading at the break against the run of play in a highly competitive first half which lacked many clear cut chances. Broadheath took the lead with the visiting captain duly dispatching a free kick rather harshly awarded 18 yards out late on. Determined not to go down without a fight and clearly buoyed by the quality of our play we began to exert real pressure on the away team straight from the restart and slight alterations up front, with Luke Morley pushing on to support Landan Clarke who had battled away tirelessly as a lone striker for the first 45, brought increased possession in the final third. Quick passing triangles ensured that the opposition were constantly chasing and with their only respite when in control of the ball being swiftly dealt with by a vastly improved back four the pressure was beginning to tell. Luke Morley finally broke the away teams resistance with a superb individual goal beating 3 men with considerable skill before arrowing the ball in off the far post from well outside the area just in time to stifle a rant forming on the lips of his Captain for being too greedy. Momentum was all with the home team as we made the first of our substitutions welcoming back Gary Lilley replacing Bobby Ashcroft who had battled admirably despite illness but couldn’t manage to add to his precious assist tally. Morley, Garcia, Lilley and Cusick were by now dominating with quick passing interchanges through the centre of the field and increasing overlaps from our full backs made it feel as though it was a matter of time before we took the lead. We didn’t have to wait long as an overlap and whipped left foot cross from Damian Molloy reaching the by-line was dispatched by Landan from inside the six yard box. Some nerves crept in as time appeared to slow and Broadheath battled back and pushed forward to create at least two clear cut chances. Further changes saw Jamie Harkis replace a much improved Conor O’Hanlon on the left of Midfield and Chris Stevens come on for Damian Molloy at left back. The fresh legs doing enough to stifle the mounting pressure before a counter attack saw Landan Clarke doubling his tally for the day when another left sided cross into the box, this time from Jamie Harkis, saw the defence caught ball watching and Landan calmly firing in from close range. This was to be the killer blow for Broadheath in a hard fought match which we thoroughly deserved to win. Victories against the top two in the admittedly early season form table indicates that if we maintain the standard shown today we are good enough to be competing with the best that this league has to offer. Nick Grimshaw

Our thanks to Dave Cooper for sponsoring the game on Saturday against Bacup & Rossendale Borough. If you or your company can sponsor a game please select a suitable game from the fixture list and talk to Steve, Dave or John (numbers inside front cover).

History… Alsager Town No previous history can be found at present about the club before the 1971/72 season when Alsager FC joined the Mid Cheshire League and they finished 12th in their first two seasons. Following the 1972/73 season the club changed their name to Alsager Town and thirteen years later they were still members of the Mid Cheshire League and for most of that time had competed in Division One. For the start of the 1986/87 season they changed their name again, this time to Alsager United. They finished runners up in their second season under the United banner but for some reason they disbanded. Twelve months elapsed before the club re-formed for the 1989/90 season as Alsager United joining the Crewe League Premier Division. After two seasons the club moved back to the Mid Cheshire League Division 2 back under the Alsager FC banner, for the start of the 1991/92 season, They remained there until the end of the 1997/98 season when they moved to the Springbank Vending Midland League. Alsager finished runners up in their first season and were promoted to the North West Counties League Division 2 for the start of the 1999/2000 season. After just two seasons they again decided to change their name back to Alsager Town. The name change proved to be lucky for them as they finished in the runners-up spot with promotion to Division One. They remained in that league until the end of the 2005/06 season when they finished in third place. Due to changes being made by the FA to the nonleague pyramid system Alsager were invited to step up to the Northern Premier League Division One which they did, finishing their first season in a creditable 14th place. Further changes were to be made by the FA to the non league system which saw Alsager Town move side ways in to the Unibond League Division One South. Another 14th place finish was the outcome but the club fell foul to the ground grading regulations and with required work not completed they were relegated back to the North West Counties League Premier Division. Due this set back the top management of the club walked out. Former chairman Peter Clegg stepped in taking control of the club . Clegg appointed former Witton Albion reserves coach, Neil Gill as manager. For two seasons Neil Gill did a good job in keeping Alsager Town in the N.W.C.F.L Premier Division and then in early 2011 with finances tight the players expenses budget had to be cut and then later stopped completely. This was followed by the news that there were to be major changes at the club at the end of the season. Neil Gill, his assistant, the players and the committee walked away. Acting Chairman Mike Cross had to Act quickly and Alsager’s remaining committee voted for change. Terry Greer the former Chairman of Biddulph Victoria was elected to be the new Chairman. A new management team and playing staff had to be found. Stepping into the fray were Damian Grocott and Andy O’Connor they began the job of keeping Alsager Town in the N.W.C.F.L. Premier Divison. They worked hard to keep the status of the club secure which they did with three games in hand. For the 2011/12 season the club is looking to move forward with a new committee which was installed at the AGM in May their aim being to improve the club in all aspects on and off the pitch. With things going well off the pitch, new showers had been installed, the dressing rooms and some of the club house re-decorated. The ground in general had been given a face lift when on the night of the Monday 11th July a catastrophic fire destroyed the office and part of the dressing rooms and club house, the whole building had to be demolished due the asbestos it was constructed with and the electricity was cut off due to the damage caused with the switch boxes etc. Since then the committee have worked tirelessly to get things in to place so that football can return to The Town ground. The committee of the N.W.C.F.L. have been superb in the way they have switched fixtures for The Bullets due to their massive problems. The season ended with the Bullets finishing in 13th place with 57 points at end of the season poor run, but it was their best tally of points for some time. After the season ended manager John Brown stepped down and Chairman Terry Greer quickly set on former Kidsgrove Athletic Coach Andy Turner on as manager. Andy retained the previous season backroom staff but added another coach. Most of the 2011/12 season players stayed and Andy added a number of new faces, looking to improve on last seasons position.


First Team Stats fixtures – results – appearances - goalscorers


Abbey Hey



Runcorn Linnets


First Team Stats fixtures – results – appearances - goalscorers

Substitute Notes: Match 5 – unused substitute Rhys Bailey-Morton Match 9 - unused substitutes Callum Jones, Dale Newbrook


Can YOU help the ground development‌ by sponsoring a shirt number for £20? Please sign up on the poster in the clubhouse or talk to a committee member for more information

NWCFL Premier Division Table Table correct as of 7/10/2013


Youth Team…Update Good Start to the Season for Youth Team & Manager The most pleasing aspect of the season so far, is from the beginning the attitude has been great. It’s a very good start but I was very confident that the team would play and perform well, we have worked very hard during pre-season, we are trying a few styles of football and must continue to improve but for the first few matches, it’s been excellent. We have got a good balance of players who can fight for the cause together with a good bit of flair as well. We are also a well-motivated force for whom hard work is a given. These are some young boys, but young boys with good talent. We can look to a good future even though the present is very good also. The young boys give a balance to the club but also security for the future. My aim is to achieve: These are also my ambitions for the club. I like to play various attacking and adventurous formations 4-2-2-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1 and 3-2-3-2. With wing-backs, a playmaker, two wingers and two predatory strikers, with this systems we have scored goals for fun, with a number of entertaining games. While I also play well balanced, solid and compact formations 4-2-3-1 and 4-5-1.These are systems that make us hard to break down, hunt the ball down quickly and make us hard to beat. This is my own take on “Total Football” sharp & quick, neat & tidy and just do the basics really well. The team play an expressive brand of football, with short-passing being played at a quick tempo. With this there is more freedom to roam the pitch, while a high pressure system to chase down opponents and force mistakes or errors to gain back possession. Finally this is echoed in an unbeaten start to the season with 4 league victories on the bounce which leaves us top of the league and setting the pace. Scoring 23 goals and conceding only 4. Also a well earned victory in the Lancashire u18s Youth Cup against a well organised, established and physical Atherton Town from the NWYAL. Boys stood up to that and then expressed their own quality passing game, power & pace going forward and hunger to defend and succeed. Our reward is a 3rd round tie against the holders Southport. I have a really strong group mentally and they really want to progress. Hopefully I can give them the platform to express themselves. Youth Team Manager: Ian Depeiaza (Coach Peza)

Tameside Football League – Paul Hett U’17s 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Waterloo AFC 17's West Didsbury & Chorlton 17's West End Boys 17's Brendon Bees 17's Stalybridge Celtic F.C.17's Heyside JFC 17's Radcliffe Juniors F.C. 17's Didsbury JFC 17's Swinton J.F.C. 17's

P 6 4 6 6 4 4 4 4 2

W 4 4 3 3 2 1 1 0 0

D 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0

L 1 0 2 3 2 2 3 3 2

GD 10 18 8 -9 10 -2 -9 -18 -8

PTS 13 12 10 9 6 4 3 1 0

Lancashire Youth County Cup: Atherton Town u 18s 3 Wests 4 Next Round: Sunday 20th October 1:30pm v Southport u18s (a)


Report and Action from Saturday’s game‌ Saturday 5th October: West 0 Bacup & Rossendale Borough 1 West were very slow off the mark in this game and Bacup had 3 chances to go ahead in the first 10 minutes only to be denied by the ever alert Ben Simpson, the cross bar and some wayward finishing. They were first to every 50/50 ball and played like a team fighting for survival and prepared to go to almost any lengths to deny West time any time and space with the only surprise being that it took 18 minutes before the first of 4 yellow cards was shown for a dangerous challenge on Richmond Botchey. That was a sign of things to come as poor Botchey was subjected to a series of wild challenges throughout the game. It was real credit to him that at no time did he retaliate or over react. Meanwhile back on the pitch, it was a glorious afternoon for watching football and real pity that we didn’t see very much. It was 20 minutes before West created a real scoring chance when Alex Baird sliced the ball over the bar from 6 yards after a superb curling free kick from Scott Mason. Things got worse after 35 minutes when the consistent Steve Settle pulled up and had to give way to Tommy Hendley. There were few further chances during a terse first half which ended with a final chance for the visitors on 43 minutes when Ben did well to stop and hold a powerful effort from a free kick right on the goal line. By this time Rogers and Potts were defending stoutly and coming to terms with the threat and hold up play of Butorins the Bacup No9. 5 minutes into the second period Tommy Walsh entered the fray for Lee Malkin as West tried to match the physical presence of the Bacup back four. A series of persistent fouls and yellow cards from the visitors presented regular free kick opportunities for West but resulted in little to test the visitors keeper who became a virtual spectator. Kyle Hendley came on for Scott Mason after the hour and put himself about in midfield as we tried to get Tommy Walsh and Tre Baldwin Willis into advanced positions. The nearest to a goal was a good cross from Tommy Hendley which gave Tre a clear header which looped wide of the post as he tried to direct it past the keeper. Just as the game looked like ending in a 0-0 draw West again conceded from a set piece. This time it was just 2 minutes from time when a corner driven high to the back post saw Bacup defender Bellamy rise high and unchallenged to power home a header to give the visitors all 3 points. This time it was our turn to be denied in the final minutes after a few games when we have managed to score late on and do this to other teams. Overall the result was harsh on a spirited second half effort from West when a point a piece was all either team deserved. Rob Turley


*Player no longer with the club


Date for your diary… Saturday 2nd November Volunteers needed to help with:  Stewarding on the night  Setting up stalls  Manning stalls  Sponsors for prizes on the stalls are also needed

Please Contact: Rob Madden with any offers of help on: 07730655446

The FA VASE – AWAY TRAVEL - REMINDER! This Saturday the road to Wembley continues as we travel to Northern Counties East League Premier League Side, Staveley Miners Welfare FC on 19th October. West would like to invite supporters to join the team on the journey and share the coach to the game in return for a donation to the club development fund of whatever each supporter can afford. The coach will be leaving at 11.30 from the Bowling Green in Chorlton. There are limited places so if interested please ask behind the bar or contact Rob on 07706320397 after 6pm.




West Didsbury and Chorlton FC, have come a long way in their 105 year history which began back in 1908 when the club was founded as Christ Church A.F.C. by Mr R F Hartley, a Sunday School Superintendent at the church on Princess Parkway, West Didsbury.

West played friendlies at first and then in the Manchester Alliance League until the First World War 1914. After the War the club joined the Lancashire and Cheshire League for the 1920/21 season and had to change its name to West Didsbury AFC, as that League did not permit a name suggesting association with any other body. The club was placed in Divisions 1 and A, staying in the top flight for 25 seasons. The first honours were double runners up in Div 1 and Rhodes Cup in 1922/23, and the club remained in the L+C League until 2006, winning many honours and providing 4 League Presidents along the way. The home ground from before 1914 until the mid 1980’s was Christie Playing Fields, and then the owners, Manchester and Salford Playing Fields Society, gave the club notice to quit having decided to sell off the land for commercial development – now ironically called ‘Christie Fields’ office park. After several years’ nomadic existence searching for a new home, the club acquired the redundant and overgrown Recreation Ground at Brookburn Road in 1996, and began to restore this to active use and develop a vision for a community club. This was down to the hard work of a core of players and Committee who refused to let the club fold. Work was completed in time to start the 1997-98 season using excellent new changing rooms and clubhouse facilities aided by a Lottery grant, new sponsors and members’ fundraising, but without a penny from the Playing Fields Society sale proceeds. Further name change followed in 2003 to reflect the new location in Chorlton and the club was then elected to the Manchester League in 2006. In 2007/8 West won its first Manchester League silverware lifting the Murray Shield in the last game of our centenary year. That team was the nucleus of the previously successful junior team and the following season 2008/09 West just missed promotion to the Premier Division and again reached the Murray Shield Final. won their League.

With a new management team led by Andy Nelson, 2009/10 was very successful and honours spread throughout the club. The 1st team won the Murray Shield (the third consecutive year in the final) and was league runners-up. The reserves won the Bridgewater League Cup and the U17 Youth team won their League. In 2010/2011 the 1st team won the Manchester League First Division title in style with a fantastic 65 points out of 72 possible. This ranks as one of the highest points totals per game in Manchester League history dating back over a century. The clubs reserve team and youth teams also had terrific seasons, resulting in promotion and for the second year reaching the Bridgewater Cup Final. The Youth team reached yet another final where they were just pipped to the trophy by New Mills. The Veterans were runners up in the Premier Division of the Cheshire Veterans League and then started a second veterans team such was the interest in the club. Plans were also made to formally integrate junior football as the club Vision is to be a FA Charter Standard Community Club, playing at the highest possible level it can whilst remaining financially viable. Further improved saw floodlights erected in 2011 to meet FA requirements and West competed in the FA Vase for the first time in 2011-2012 as a Step 7 club. Election to the NWCFL followed in June 2012 and the club had an incredible first season winning the Div1 Trophy, finishing in 3 rd position after an amazing run in during March and April to secure promotion and also winning a guaranteed FA Cup place. The over 45’s team again chipped in with Cheshire Veterans league silverware. 2013-14 promises to be another testing season as the club adjusts to life in the NWCFL Premier Division, improves its spectator facilities, adds new grass pitches and youth teams as part of its development plan, and aims for long term consolidation and stability at this level whilst remaining as a volunteer run, ‘not for profit’ club.

NWCFL Premier Division Tuesday 8th October 2013 – Today’s Squads

West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

Alsager Town

White Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks

Red Shirts, Red Shorts and Red Socks

Ben Simpson (GK)

Leigh Skellern

Steve Settle

Thomas Parkes

Richmond Botchey

Alex Hedley

Anthony Potts

David Woodvine

Mark Rogers (Capt)

Joel Mills

Mark Woodcock

Dean Smith

Rick Gleave

Stuart Heeps

Scott Mason

Reiss Lee

Lee Malkin

Angelo Errico

Tre Baldwin Willis

Cameron Mitchell

Gareth Thomas

Aaron Best

Alex Baird

Anthony McMullen

Tommy Walsh

Nathan McDonald

Danny Summers

Jordan Stafford

Sam Mitten

Jordan Flattley

Dave Conlon

Chris Smith

Ross Booth (GK)

Chris Lunn Jordan White Kyle Wilding Bernardo Pezo

Manager: Andy Nelson

Manager: A Turner

Assistants: Steve Eckersley & Steve Settle

Coach: C. Carey

OFFICIALS Referee: Patrick Mahon

Assistants: Matt Rickard and Ian Jones

NEXT HOME GAME Saturday 12th October 2013 KO 3.00pm

WEST Res v Cheadle Town Res

West Didsbury & Chorlton v Alsager Town  

Tuesday 8th October 2013 NWCFL Premier Division